Google Retires Toolbar for Firefox

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google has decided to retire the toolbar for Firefox and, judging by the comments being left by users, people aren't thrilled with the decision. :eek:

As we all know, over the past few years, there has been a tremendous amount of innovation in the browser space. For Firefox users, many features that were once offered by Google Toolbar for Firefox are now already built right into the browser. Therefore, while Google Toolbar for Firefox works on versions up to and including Firefox 4 only, it will not be supported on Firefox 5 and future versions. Please see our Help Center for additional details.

Good riddance. I've uninstalled it few months ago for being completely useless.

My guess is Google wants another reason to draw the non-IE users crowd to Chrome instead of Firefox. It doesn't affect me since I never use the Google toolbar in any browser whatsoever. In fact, I don't even use the built-in search bars that are in browsers these days. (And you can set those to use Google anyway.)

Wow, do half those morons even realize the toolbar has no relation to google search? Seriously the best thing google could do is quit making crappy toolbars period. Who the hell even uses a toolbar? They are nothing more then useless bloatware.

Seriously the best thing google could do is quit making crappy toolbars period. Who the hell even uses a toolbar? They are nothing more then useless bloatware.
Yeah, I always shake my head when I see a persons PC with numerous toolbars installed in their chosen web browser (usually IE). In some cases I've had to uninstall them because they were causing issues with internet access, lockups, etc.

Tool bars died more than a few years back.
They serve no purpose.

The fewer toolbars out there, the better IMO. I never understood the draw to those pesky things anyways. In fact, I hated the fact that toolbars required additional clicks to avoid when installing software (unchecking the defaults which would have led to a toolbar being installed with every new app).

Yeah, I always shake my head when I see a persons PC with numerous toolbars installed in their chosen web browser (usually IE). In some cases I've had to uninstall them because they were causing issues with internet access, lockups, etc.

Worst one I have ever seen had so many toolbars that it literally took up half the screen.

That's going to be a reality with most computer users due to companies making toolbars opt-out instead of opt-in during installations of completely unrelated software. They don't have the knowledge or will to do advanced installs and un-select components, and it's not going to change since there is much more for them to worry about in the world. But some good does come from this, as their ignorance helps keep an entire industry afloat.

Worst one I have ever seen had so many toolbars that it literally took up half the screen.

Only half the screen?
xpspyware.jpg

Good, as said, sure most people just have no clue about what is already integrated into the browser you dont need a separate toolbar, likely these people are still on XP as well ;) ;)

My guess is Google wants another reason to draw the non-IE users crowd to Chrome instead of Firefox. It doesn't affect me since I never use the Google toolbar in any browser whatsoever. In fact, I don't even use the built-in search bars that are in browsers these days. (And you can set those to use Google anyway.)
How does this make sense?

The functions of Google Toolbar for FF are BUILT INTO THE BROWSER. Why are people saying this is a conspiracy theory to get people to switch to Chrome? They are simply eliminating a redundant feature which has no purpose.

Chrome is better anyway.

Now if we can get free software and open source community to stop including Ask.com and Bing toolbars as options when installing their shit, I'll be happy. I can understand when Imgburn includes it - they're not so well known, but it bugs me when people install Java updates and not uncheck the optional toolbar pack.

Most people get those toolbars because they don't pay attention when installing free software. If you don't go through the custom install and uncheck the toolbar crap then it gets installed. Most people just click on through installers.

The only thing I ever used the toolbar for was the autofill..
Do they have that in the browser now?

i have no use for the google toolbar. but the installation and occasional usage of the google toolbar does pay for software i like to use. i dont use ie usually, but a few people on my computer do. so i am happy to allow the less obstructive toolbar's real estate to support those developers.

Only half the screen?
xpspyware.jpg

If that resolution wasn't set to 640x480 then it wouldn't be taking up that much of the screen.

Now if we can get free software and open source community to stop including Ask.com and Bing toolbars as options when installing their shit, I'll be happy. I can understand when Imgburn includes it - they're not so well known, but it bugs me when people install Java updates and not uncheck the optional toolbar pack.

They do that to get money. The stuff is "free" because they get paid a small amount for every person they get to install the toolbar and whatever else they can toss at you. Java does that, every adobe product (flash, reader..) installs some other random piece of crap.

Meh... whatever...

NO toolbars & adblock works for me just fine.

If that resolution wasn't set to 640x480 then it wouldn't be taking up that much of the screen.

They do that to get money. The stuff is "free" because they get paid a small amount for every person they get to install the toolbar and whatever else they can toss at you. Java does that, every adobe product (flash, reader..) installs some other random piece of crap.

I know that. Doesn't stop me from wishing it though :-P

Wow, so much for my Google bookmarks available on every PC with the add-on. BTW, you don't have to use the WHOLE toolbar. In fact, just leave it hidden, and drag the one element you want to the regular "stock toolbar" (with the reload and url and search).

Google has decided to retire the toolbar for Firefox and, judging by the comments being left by users, people aren't thrilled with the decision. :eek:

No I'm not thrilled, I'm overjoyed, that thing is a bloody nuisance. I've lost count of how many systems I've uninstalled that POS from, due to random page/explorer/firefox lockups...get rid of the toolbar, everything is fine again.

Good, bout time. I always hate it when people don't read shit when they install things and I see crap toolbars all over the browser screens.

THANK YOU GOOGLE

Wow, so much for my Google bookmarks available on every PC with the add-on. BTW, you don't have to use the WHOLE toolbar. In fact, just leave it hidden, and drag the one element you want to the regular "stock toolbar" (with the reload and url and search).

That was the one thing I really liked. Every PC I used had the same bookmarks no matter where I was.

If I'm doing it wrong and someone can tell me how I can do that using Chrome, then by all means, do tell.

Exactly. I moved the Bookmarks icon to my Firefox Navigation toolbar, I don't display the rest of the Google toolbar.
There are bookmarks built in Firefox, but they require an additional log in, so they are nowhere near as convenient as Google's if you already have a Gmail or YouTube account.

There probably is or will be a Firefox add-on to either add the Google bookmarks icon or to replace Firefox' bookmarks with Google's, so all is not lost.
I actually would much prefer a feature entirely focused on bookmarks rather than a generic toolbar such as Google: The bookmark categories are monodimensional, there's no tree structure for categories and subcategories, so it's either unusable or the drop down list of categories easily grows longer than your monitor. The drop-down icon is also ridiculously small when you need to select a bookmarked page. The star-shaped icon looks like a rating system, nothing like a bookmark, etc.

I'll give a go at Firefox bookmarks in the mean time, but I don't like having yet another account and just for bookmarks.

Every computer which comes to the shop I work for or which we see on-site gets every toolbar uninstalled as a given. We've never had any complaints about that.

That was the one thing I really liked. Every PC I used had the same bookmarks no matter where I was.

If I'm doing it wrong and someone can tell me how I can do that using Chrome, then by all means, do tell.

Both chrome and Firefox are capable of syncing your bookmarks across multiple devices without use of a toolbar.

Chrome does it through google sync through your gmail account.

Firefox does it through FF sync which gives you a device code. The added benefit of FF is that it syncs on android devices as well since chrome isn't available.

Zero reason to intentionally install malware on your machine.

Back