Google replaced the White Noise on Nest speakers so people can't sleep

beavis-and-butthead-trippy.gif

I use a Media Sonic 4 Bay USB-C drive box with the fan set high and the door open as my white noise generator.

My ears generate their own white noise. Also, I enjoy listening to music as I fall asleep, but always try to set a sleep timer when I do, so I can maybe get some actual restful sleep. But, also, sometimes I'm lazy and say fuck it and leave the lights and/or TV on because I'm stupid tired and can't be bothered.

In any case, I absolutely loathe short loops where it's obvious that the sounds are repeating like a broken record. I'm also not a huge fan of google/amazon/etc smart hubs/devices. So I'm not particularly bothered by this, although it would be mildly annoying if I relied on it.

My ears generate their own white noise.
Mine too. Symptom of many years operating really loud equipment.

I find it interesting that some people are so irritated by this they need white noise to sleep. For me I just get tired and go to sleep with my ears screaming at my brain... It's just not a problem.

Mine too. Symptom of many years operating really loud equipment.

I find it interesting that some people are so irritated by this they need white noise to sleep. For me I just get tired and go to sleep with my ears screaming at my brain... It's just not a problem.

#realman

I know you sarcastically said those first few sentences, but I do believe she is a monster for doing this to me. I can sleep anywhere, at any time, with any noise, on any surface, so while it annoys me and I would prefer total darkness and quiet, I do not NEED anything to sleep.

Think about it this way. You use white noise/tv/whatever to sleep. You cannot sleep without it. Then you find yourself somewhere without that option. The power could be out, your google is down (oh, the HORROR!) or you're away from home. Should you lose sleep because of it? Silly.

I like a fan, for sure. The breeze is nice. It makes it infinitely easier to sleep, but I don't depend on it.
I like camping (in low humidity or coldish environments). I can sleep just fine without a fan, it just helps more with drowning out baby cries till they go to sleep and the airflow feels good. Not really a dependency for me. Sleeping in pitch black rooms with no windows or basements are some of the best sleep i've gotten though lol. There's so much ambient noise anyways without white noise generators. I could see how some people could need it if they have tinnitus, etc though. Makes sense for them, I can't imagine what that's like. Some people, though, are spoiled lol.

And 'need' is such a big area. Does one need a quiet or dark room? A bed? A pillow of a certain softness? Room temperature? Some people can fall asleep the second they close their eyes regardless where they are, and sometimes this is actually a symptom of something more serious like sleep apnea or another sleep disorder that is preventing good rest.

Ah, just a run of the mill internet troll. Carry on.
Aren't we all though? Or do some really think they are affecting the world justifying or mocking the need of a sound machine for someone to sleep to with a forum post?

Aren't we all though? Or do some really think they are affecting the world justifying or mocking the need of a sound machine for someone to sleep to with a forum post?
We aren’t. Some of us like to actually communicate with each other like adults.

Bingo. People take things so seriously. You like the sound. I think it's weak a dependent to need it. I don't expect to change you, but you certainly want to change me lol

(Not you, boo).

. I could see how some people could need it if they have tinnitus, etc though. Makes sense for them, I can't imagine what that's like.
It's like an invisible dentists drill is running somewhere in the room, but more like everywhere in the room. All the time, everywhere.
I don't have any issue tuning it out, but obviously some people have a different experience. You'll never experience silence ever again... Although it is less noticeable when you have ambient noise.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
I get the concern for what we might call crutches.
But for me, I'm hyper-vigilant, and the tiniest of noises triggers a response, I wake up, and have an adrenaline rush, have a very hard time getting back to sleep.
I wish I didn't have that response. I REALLY do. But I do. But I have a cat who walks around in the night. I have a heater which makes sound. Water running down the roof wakes me up.

I don't know how to "grow up" on this topic. It's an involuntary response.

Also solved with a 20 dollar little box which raises the ambient noise level, and I just sleep. Is solving a simple problem with 20 bucks not growing up? ;)

I know you sarcastically said those first few sentences, but I do believe she is a monster for doing this to me. I can sleep anywhere, at any time, with any noise, on any surface, so while it annoys me and I would prefer total darkness and quiet, I do not NEED anything to sleep.

Think about it this way. You use white noise/tv/whatever to sleep. You cannot sleep without it. Then you find yourself somewhere without that option. The power could be out, your google is down (oh, the HORROR!) or you're away from home. Should you lose sleep because of it? Silly.

I like a fan, for sure. The breeze is nice. It makes it infinitely easier to sleep, but I don't depend on it.
I think you need to man up and adapt to whatever is going on the background. Needing complete darkness and silence is just as much of a crutch as needing the TV on.

Dark and quiet? TV on? Kids screaming? Firetruck driving by with sirens on? Doesn't bother me.

I think you need to man up and adapt to whatever is going on the background. Needing complete darkness and silence is just as much of a crutch as needing the TV on.

Dark and quiet? TV on? Kids screaming? Firetruck driving by with sirens on? Doesn't bother me.
I've specified in more than one post that I can sleep anywhere. I have a preference, not a requirement.

Take those wet panties off and give them a scrub. Relax.

New challenge: Sleep with TV on, volume up, Lights on, kids screaming, no blankets, no pillow, on floor, all night for a week.
If you think that's too easy then sleep outside on the ground naked, then you can say you truly need nothing to sleep.
Anything less than this is weakness!!!

New challenge: Sleep with TV on, volume up, Lights on, kids screaming, no blankets, no pillow, on floor, all night for a week.
If you think that's too easy then sleep outside on the ground naked, then you can say you truly need nothing to sleep.
Anything less than this is weakness!!!
This guy gets it.

Reactions: travm
like this
Some of the comments in this thread are just plain cruel and abusive and serve no other purpose than to demonstrate the author's own weakness. One might also describe an irrational fear of dependence on benign ambient sounds as weak. In any event, this particular line of discussion doesn't seem worth continuing.
FFS, just buy a cheap stereo alarm clock that can play media files/CDs and blare some Anthrax, WASP, Static-X, Megadeth, Pantera, and White Zombie...if they can't fall asleep to such comforting sweet sounds, then that's not the problem.
Heh. That immediately conjures up an image of Bill & Ted delivering their signature "excellent!" and following it with an air-guitar riff. 🎵 The little thrash-metalhead insomniacs could probably do with a bit more variety for proper development though. Maybe throw in some Led Zeppelin and/or Black Sabbath for a well-rounded sleep program.🤘

Some of the comments in this thread are just plain cruel and abusive and serve no other purpose than to demonstrate the author's own weakness. One might also describe an irrational fear of dependence on benign ambient sounds as weak. In any event, this particular line of discussion doesn't seem worth continuing.

Heh. That immediately conjures up an image of Bill & Ted delivering their signature "excellent!" and following it with an air-guitar riff. 🎵 The little thrash-metalhead insomniacs could probably do with a bit more variety for proper development though. Maybe throw in some Led Zeppelin and/or Black Sabbath for a well-rounded sleep program.🤘
Just use my name if you're going to reference me. Hiding behind "some comments" makes you the weak one. Grow up and say what you want.

Fans use a shit more electricity.

Also studies show it's good for infants/children to sleep with noise. Noises causes one to wake up momentarily, and that can lead to dreams. Dreams lead to nightmares and then peeing the bed. There are other reasons why noise is good for sleeping though, I just want parents to realize how much money and sanity they'd save not having buy new sheets everytime a secret chocolate explosion is discovered the next morning

You're speaking my language loud and clear!

I take Melatonin Magnesium and drugs to help me sleep. Then run a humidifier for the Winter months because of the dry air. Melatonin gives me Nightmares though just started taking it again because the Zzzs are better have more energy.

I have a guy on Steam who can't sleep tried to help him but he might need a sleep study which I never had done.

My wife and I run an air purifier, ceiling fan, 2 small fans on each side of the bed and finally a smart clock playing rain sounds all night. I've become pretty dependent on at least the rain machine or I can't sleep.

I have been drinking a cup of hot chocolate before bed for a couple weeks and it gives me weird ass vivid dreams like M60 wielding cats shooting 4 legged corvettes kind of shit.

If you struggle sleeping, a few tips:
  1. Go to sleep at around 9PM, 9:30PM latest. Make sure you fall asleep before 10PM, it's much harder to fall asleep between 10PM-2AM.
  2. Don't drink cafeinated drinks after 4PM.
  3. Try to finish dinner before 6PM, so that by 9PM your stomach is light.
  4. Don't do stuff that gets your heartrate up 1hr before sleep.
  5. Don't look at screens, do exciting shit 30mins minimum prior to sleep.
  6. If you can't get comfortable, do light stretches before sleep.
  7. Do tense-release-relax routines so you can relax deeper.
  8. Instead of white noise, try guided meditation, easier to release anxiety and tension that way.
Sleep is serious business. I used to look down on sleep in my 20s, as soon as my age hits 30 sleep is the most god damn important shit ever to me being able to function in the morning.

Google is relatively incompetent. It's been this way over a decade. It's sad people are still learning this the hard way. "A sucker is born every minute", they say.

"I thought my Google products were smart!"
-t. sucker

You guys should check out the Box of Snakes if you miss that feature.

Your dad won't call me back.
You know, after reading your replies and posts in this thread I thought to myself (before you revealed it) that we have a militant (or military) person here whose opinion doesn't shut the motherfuck up.
With so many deployments under your belt over 20 years, what in the nostalgic blue-tainted fuck are you doing HERE cunt crying over other peoples preferences of sleep. Only to call it weakness...
Sounds like over Deployment led to Under action...
2 Eyes
2 Ears
1 Mouth

1. Try to finish dinner before 6PM, so that by 9PM your stomach is light.
  2. Don't do stuff that gets your heartrate up 1hr before sleep.
  3. Don't look at screens, do exciting shit 30mins minimum prior to sleep.
See, my body/mind don't work like that; I depend on a food coma to get to sleep. Ideally, dinner for me is late, 9PM or later, after all of my work for the evening has been done. Chow down, chill out, and read things online until my brain starts to shut down, brushy brushy then conk out. Guaranteed good night's sleep.

Back