Google replaced the White Noise on Nest speakers so people can't sleep

I have had 7 children in my life. None have needed white noise. It becomes habitual and you're creating a dependency. It's like parents giving their kids melatonin to sleep. If you do it regularly then they always need it.

Teach your kids to get it together.
Its pretty hard to teach infants to sleep at night sometimes. Having a fan in the rooms helps A LOT.
Helps them sleep 8 - 10 hours easy.
Source: I have 3 under 2.

Its pretty hard to teach infants to sleep at night sometimes. Having a fan in the rooms helps A LOT.
Helps them sleep 8 - 10 hours easy.
Source: I have 3 under 2.
Infants are fussy, there is no two ways about it. I am just saying that by adding these things into a kids routine, you are creating a dependency on that noise to complete those functions later on.

Prime example. Wife needs the TV on to sleep. For whatever fucking reason, I have to sleep in a room with the light from a show and the barely audible noise. She falls asleep in seconds with it on, but if it gets turned off she will almost immediately wake up. It is bizarre, but she says "I have always needed it on"... now, at 46 she cannot sleep without it. On the flip side, if a show gets put on in the livingroom its like Benadryl for her and puts her to sleep, no matter the time of day.

This is a prime example of someone using something innocent like having a TV in the background to, its required and causes sleep.

Weakness.

...something innocent like having a TV in the background...
Holy crap!
What kind of monster has the TV on in their bedroom while sleeping!??! ON PURPOSE?!!
jk
But seriously, having that much light while trying to sleep isn't something I would consider "innocent".
Having fans as a "dependency" is infinitely more tolerable than a TV on and way cheaper lol. I like airflow while sleeping. I don't know anybody that is annoyed by a ceiling fan unless its too cold.

Holy crap!
What kind of monster has the TV on in their bedroom while sleeping!??! ON PURPOSE?!!
jk
But seriously, having that much light while trying to sleep isn't something I would consider "innocent".
Having fans as a "dependency" is infinitely more tolerable than a TV on and way cheaper lol. I like airflow while sleeping. I don't know anybody that is annoyed by a ceiling fan unless its too cold.
I know you sarcastically said those first few sentences, but I do believe she is a monster for doing this to me. I can sleep anywhere, at any time, with any noise, on any surface, so while it annoys me and I would prefer total darkness and quiet, I do not NEED anything to sleep.

Think about it this way. You use white noise/tv/whatever to sleep. You cannot sleep without it. Then you find yourself somewhere without that option. The power could be out, your google is down (oh, the HORROR!) or you're away from home. Should you lose sleep because of it? Silly.

I like a fan, for sure. The breeze is nice. It makes it infinitely easier to sleep, but I don't depend on it.

I need some kind of sound to sleep or the ringing in my ears keeps me up....a window uint fan works wonders and or a podcast playing on my phone. But I never understood white noise it's basically what I hear 24/7..

This is Google being google and I wouldn't be surprised if they start playing something to hypnotize people or something one day.

I need some kind of sound to sleep or the ringing in my ears keeps me up....a window uint fan works wonders and or a podcast playing on my phone. But I never understood white noise it's basically what I hear 24/7..

This is Google being google and I wouldn't be surprised if they start playing something to hypnotize people or something one day.
You can do anything , at Zombo.com

Reactions: Nobu
like this
I leave a window open year round so I can fall asleep to the sweet sounds of bum fights, street preachers, boy racers, and harlots.

Getting some asleep assistance via background sounds was why the universe invented Bob Ross. I had 75% of everything he ever did downloaded a decade before it became available on YouTube, for that reason.

I never used a white noise machine until I met my wife, who has tinnitus. Now I use one and love it. Not because I need the white noise, but because it drowns out all the annoying behavior like my dog whining for food at 5AM :D

I sleep better to the sound of gunshots and war. Whitenoise is akin to insanity. Id rather hear GBU24s dropping and m240Bs singing harmonic tunes while emptying thier ammo cans of .308.

Oh wait ✋ that might be why I am having trouble sleeping lately. No sweet sound of democracy being delivered around me like the good old days.

I had a picture my son drew of a tractor in my cube at one point. Being kind, it wasn't an amazing drawing. A friend sent me a link to maddox'es "I am better than your kids", and I died.

Ding ding, here comes the shit-mobile!

I haven't told the kids that's what I think every time I see their art. But I do.

Says the anxious one. I'm sure we are all against you. Cower in imagined fear!
Mmm ... I expect you've been pampered your whole life and don't have PTSD. Must be nice. And no everyone isn't against me. I just find it interesting when I come across people with sociopathic, narcissistic personalities.

Mmm ... I expect you've been pampered your whole life and don't have PTSD. Must be nice. And no everyone isn't against me. I just find it interesting when I come across people with sociopathic, narcissistic personalities.
You always seem very quick to assume things eh.

I wasn't pampered, I didn't grow up easy. I am now at almost 20 years in the military with many deployments. No everyone is affected the same. That doesn't change a dependency creation that this topic is about.

You always seem very quick to assume things eh.
You mean how you made a blanket statement about how anyone that requires some kind of sound to sleep regardless of the reason is weak? Kind of like that type of quick assumption? Or is irony lost on you? My cousin requires it as well as she has permanent incurable tinnitus that literally almost drove her insane and found a sound that allows her to sleep. Not everyone is you. And you not requiring any help to sleep doesn't make you stronger or better than anyone else. And the fact that you keep trying to make this the main point of your responses actually makes you seem a lot smaller of a person than you imagine yourself to be. It's okay to care about others. It's not weak to empathize with what others are going through. In fact, caring about others and what they go through is what makes us human. So please ... kindly get over yourself. And regardless of what I think of your ridiculous, self-aggrandizement, thank you for your service.

You mean how you made a blanket statement about how anyone that requires some kind of sound to sleep regardless of the reason is weak? Kind of like that type of quick assumption? Or is irony lost on you? My cousin requires it as well as she has permanent incurable tinnitus that literally almost drove her insane and found a sound that allows her to sleep. Not everyone is you. And you not requiring any help to sleep doesn't make you stronger or better than anyone else. And the fact that you keep trying to make this the main point of your responses actually makes you seem a lot smaller of a person than you imagine yourself to be. It's okay to care about others. It's not weak to empathize with what others are going through. In fact, caring about others and what they go through is what makes us human. So please ... kindly get over yourself. And regardless of what I think of your ridiculous, self-aggrandizement, thank you for your service.
It's not an assumption, though. I have empirical evidence. You might not LIKE the evidence, but it is still there. Anything you use regularly, AND REQUIRE, is a dependency. Again, you don't have to like it for it to be a thing.

You can claim you need the Queen to queef in your ear 40 times a night to get to sleep, thats neither here nor there, but it is still a dependency either way. Being dependent on something is a dependency, get it?

I only referenced time served because you mentioned PTSD and many here have mentioned Tinnitus, both of which are very common. Take it as you like, but you seem to be getting fairly worked up over something someone on the internet wrote. Maybe you ought to discuss this with your GP the next time you are there.

edit: to comment on your narcissistic reference, I would have to say I am, as far as I can tell. It suits me just fine.

but, narcissistic people can't get over themselves, that is part of the psychology of it lol

Teach me more. Apparently I have a lot of growing to do!
You do, whether you want to admit that or not. Also, saying stupid things for the sole purpose of bothering others and then pretending like you're surprised that the stupid things you're saying for the sole purpose of bothering others is actually bothering others is very childish. You're clearly not one to admit faults and that nothing is ever wrong with you. And because of that, despite your age, your mentality is very immature and lacks room for growth. I'm glad you're content with being socially obtuse and insensitive. Nobody can take that from you.

Last edited:
You do, whether you want to admit that or not. Also, saying stupid things for the sole purpose of bothering others and then pretending like you're surprised that the stupid things you're saying for the sole purpose of bothering others is actually bothering others is very childish. You're clearly not one to admit faults and that nothing is ever wrong with you. And because of that, despite your age, your mentality is very immature and lacks room for growth. I'm glad you're content with being socially obtuse and insensitive. Nobody can take that from you.
Obtuse?!

A month in the box!

Luxury. When I was a lad we didn't have "white noise" generators, we had our parents screaming at each other until two in the morning, then the downstairs neighbors got home from the pub and started screaming at each other until well after it was time for us to go to school.

Kids these days don't know how good they've got it.
Somewhere along the line someone confused white noise generators with white trash generators, then it was turtles all the way down after that. A bitch of a sitch!

He edited the post about six times so far, so who knows at what point that was added lol
1642656851889.gif

Back