Google Refuses French Order To Apply 'Right To Be Forgotten' Globally

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google says it believes no one country should have the authority to control what content someone in a second country can access. Only Google has that right. ;)

Google Inc is refusing to bow to an order from the French privacy watchdog to scrub search results worldwide when users invoke their "right to be forgotten" online, it said on Thursday, exposing itself to possible fines.

That is a problem for individual countries is it not?. France has neither the power, nor even the right imho, to change what is available on the net in other countries.

Gotta give it up to France, they realize how futile a "right to be forgotten" is if you could just as easily check www.damnthatdrunkennightwiththehooker.co.<some other country> to find incriminating evidence.

I'll use them the same. I agree with damicatz though, don't post publicly if you want it private. Now if you didn't post it well good luck, this is the internet but I see a point there.

I know people change and years from now something that seemed like a good idea wont seem like such a good idea but it was posted and made available by the poster.

Being conservative minded, I support the right to be forgotten initiative. I hope it takes off. People shouldn't be so stupid to post that kind of crap on the net, but at the same time they should have the right to have it removed.

If France can sue to have information forgotten, I can sue to have it remembered

Even though people don't like google's refusal it is the right thing to do. Applying 1 countries law globally is pretty stupid. Too quote from the linked story below, it would pretty much allow countries like china or even north korea to force google to remove well pretty much anything they don't like.

Google warned that applying the right to be forgotten globally would trigger a "race to the bottom" where "the Internet would only be as free as the world's least free place"

Being conservative minded, I support the right to be forgotten initiative. I hope it takes off. People shouldn't be so stupid to post that kind of crap on the net, but at the same time they should have the right to have it removed.

It is less what you post on the internet, but what others post about you. If a news site posts an article about me, in the "right to be forgotten" I could eventually have that removed from Google searches for my name. So, I can get someone else's stuff removed from Google search because it contains my name, or even a name similar to mine such that it comes up when you search for my name.

Maybe they want to be like General Giraud to de Gaulle who forgot that the US liberated their country in WW2?

or that they force fed people opium for years in asia or forced people to grow opium at the point of a gun? imperialism was wicked to those that they oppressed... only communist countries have been successful in erasing people's memories of such events.

(P.S. It is impossible to keep shit off the Internet.)

No it's not. Stop sharing irrelevant shit with people who don't actually care on Facebook. Stop tweeting your every waking thought as if anyone is reading them or cares what you think. Stop Instagramming photos of every meal you eat. In short, stop trying to shore up your low self esteem by making your life seem more interesting than it is so that random people on the internet that you don't know will think better of you.

See? Not that hard at all.

No it's not. Stop sharing irrelevant shit with people who don't actually care on Facebook. Stop tweeting your every waking thought as if anyone is reading them or cares what you think. Stop Instagramming photos of every meal you eat. In short, stop trying to shore up your low self esteem by making your life seem more interesting than it is so that random people on the internet that you don't know will think better of you.

See? Not that hard at all.

It is literally impossible. You clearly do not realize the scope of your personal information that is on the Internet.

It seems Google doesn't want anyone reading Reuters' article....uh huh....

I like seeking out shit I posted back going on 20 years now. It's interesting to see how I've changed, as embarrassing as some of it is.

It is literally impossible. You clearly do not realize the scope of your personal information that is on the Internet.

Actually I do realize the scope of the information that is out on the internet more than you know. I also realize that you do have a great deal of control over what personal details are dispersed and how. Knowing who you are generally and that you still exist is good info to have for hackers. But knowing where you go for fun, where you live, who your friends are, are you a dog person or a cat person, etc. are all the little details that allow bad guys to pull together a more complete picture of you from the general info that they have and use it for god only knows what. That info is important and you don't have to share any of that shit. You are fully in control of it. But feel free to be defeatist and just piss away all your personal info to random strangers on Facebook because it's "impossible".

Just because the NSA has all that information doesn't mean it's "on the internet" for everyone to peruse.

Back