Google Pulling Out of China?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google is threatening to pull out of China? Well, if you ask us, it is about time. Let’s just hope they follow through with the threats to discontinue censoring search results and shut down Google.cn.

We have decided we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law, if at all. We recognize that this may well mean having to shut down Google.cn, and potentially our offices in China.

We have decided we are no longer willing to continue censoring our results on Google.cn, and so over the next few weeks we will be discussing with the Chinese government the basis on which we could operate an unfiltered search engine within the law

Wait, what? Do I see a political PR stunt being pulled here? Within the law: China's law is that speech is controlled by the government. Ergo, they will continue filtering if they continue to operate in China.

Unless they're pointing out an inevitable pullout.

My guess is that China will come out with their version off a search engine that will look remarkably like google, but slightly different so they can't say it's the same..lol (Call it "Choogle" or something like that)
:p

This is pretty commendable.

Wait, what? Do I see a political PR stunt being pulled here? Within the law: China's law is that speech is controlled by the government. Ergo, they will continue filtering if they continue to operate in China.

Unless they're pointing out an inevitable pullout.

If the law says 'censor your results' and they say 'we won't censor our results' it makes it difficult to run a search engine within the law, eh? Considering how much flak Google got for filtering results, I doubt they want to bring this subject any more than they have to.

This is pretty commendable.

If the law says 'censor your results' and they say 'we won't censor our results' it makes it difficult to run a search engine within the law, eh? Considering how much flak Google got for filtering results, I doubt they want to bring this subject any more than they have to.

Which is why they are saying they're going to ask the government to allow them to operate, and if the government stands by the 'you must filter what we say' they're going to close their chinese offices and website. Hopefully word gets around as to why google.cn is offline at that point, and people start sharing ways to get to google.com instead.

if google is sincere about this, then great move....

china is an immoral leech on the rest of the world and has one of the most evil governments in history

if google finally stands up for what is right with respect to china, I will support them even more than I already do

the more china keeps itself under a rock the better chance the western world has at surviving WWIII ;)

Good movie but still does not help the fact that Baidu has #1 market share in China.

Hats off, that takes serious balls. Pulling your company out of the most populated country in the world.

About 20 minutes ago a guy in my class was arguing how superior the Chinese and their technology are.

Hmm. China has always been more preferential to Baidu, it's own indigenous search engine than any other engine operating there, not just purely for the issue of censorship actually. They look forward to keeping the domestic advertisement revenue out of others' hands, as the Chinese Internet revenue is getting rather fat with its massive online population.

My guess is that China will come out with their version off a search engine that will look remarkably like google, but slightly different so they can't say it's the same..lol (Call it "Choogle" or something like that)
:p

They've had their own search engine for awhile. It's www.baidu.com

And yes, it's remarkably similar to Google ;)

About 20 minutes ago a guy in my class was arguing how superior the Chinese and their technology are.

they are polymer masters!

but most of the foreign exchange chinese at my school are farking smart so i wouldnt doubt them their gov't probably is hiding alot of things... especially when their country is HUGE and their civ goes back decades since their population is massive hiding things from them prevents complication in government goals

Google may pull out, but China will still be showing that baby bump in a couple months.

but most of the foreign exchange chinese at my school are farking smart so i wouldnt doubt them their gov't probably is hiding alot of things... especially when their country is HUGE and their civ goes back decades since their population is massive hiding things from them prevents complication in government goals

Hiding their dissenters in solitary confinement mostly.

Well Southend... the people that got out of China aren't your ordinary Chinese. People that come out of China generally are from the coastal provinces, that amount to around 300 million/1.2 billion people as the lot they out of (1 in 4 at best).

Let's keep in mind as well that till today, if you're not related to the 70 million strong Chinese Communist Party "class", it would be rather difficult to amass the personal relationships and the fortunes to immigrate or to study oversea. It generally takes not only a great personal network, but that of one's own extended family to provide backings for one individual to get out of China.

You can imagine though that out of some 300 million people, you will get thousands upon thousands that will have the powers, the right connections and of course the money to pull this off. Sigh.

There is a study by NIH about intelligent.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2668913/

if google is sincere about this, then great move....

china is an immoral leech on the rest of the world and has one of the most evil governments in history

if google finally stands up for what is right with respect to china, I will support them even more than I already do

Do you know how many Iraqi die not counting Afghanistan. UN estimated over 100,000 death since the invasion of US.

Do you know how many Iraqi die not counting Afghanistan. UN estimated over 100,000 death since the invasion of US.

and due to Mao's policies, an estimated 50 to 70 MILLION Chinese people died between 1945 and 1976

not to discount the innocent lives lost in Iraq, but you're comparing apples to oranges my friend ;) The US has done it's share of dirty deeds, but compared to some other nations, the US isn't all that bad

By the sound of the article, it really appears as if Chinese "secret police hackers" were fishing for information against anyone against their government in the human rights department. Screw China seriously, they either need to lighten up or more companies will get fed up with this crap. Soon they will just eat North Korea :p

US and Google censor content here. Why is it so terrible when China wants to do it?

Much respect to Google for standing up to them (if they follow through).

I can respect and appreciate the fact that they [China] have their own way of doing things... but there is no way they'll be able to maintain their iron fist forever, especially in the electronic age. The world is a small place.

Somethings gotta give

That the U.S. owes over $2Trillion dollars to... You know all those wars, and humanitarian efforts the U.S. likes to make? Guess who's really funding that.

and due to Mao's policies, an estimated 50 to 70 MILLION Chinese people died between 1945 and 1976

not to discount the innocent lives lost in Iraq, but you're comparing apples to oranges my friend ;) The US has done it's share of dirty deeds, but compared to some other nations, the US isn't all that bad

It is true about Mao policy but that is 50 years ago and not on foreign country.

We are talking some one make false claim and invade other country.

Here's my cynical guess: Google realized that their time in China was limited and decided to pull out before they were forced out. By saying "We're not going to censor anymore", they can pretend that they're doing the Right Thing and make points with people in the West.

IMO, this amounts to a good PR move, not an awakening of moral indignation by Google.

Much respect to Google for standing up to them (if they follow through).

I can respect and appreciate the fact that they [China] have their own way of doing things... but there is no way they'll be able to maintain their iron fist forever, especially in the electronic age. The world is a small place.

Somethings gotta give

Money run the world.

Majority of Chinese don't want Western style democracy according to a PEW research Poll which is dysfunctional mostly.

The financial crisis did not bring down China but made China stronger than before. Its domestic market that propel China out the crisis so did the 1997 financial crisis.

If you don't want to invest China, its OK with China.

Here's my cynical guess: Google realized that their time in China was limited and decided to pull out before they were forced out. By saying "We're not going to censor anymore", they can pretend that they're doing the Right Thing and make points with people in the West.

IMO, this amounts to a good PR move, not an awakening of moral indignation by Google.

That is what my thought also.

Most Chinese use baidu any way.

Money run the world.

Majority of Chinese don't want Western style democracy according to a PEW research Poll which is dysfunctional mostly.

The financial crisis did not bring down China but made China stronger than before. Its domestic market that propel China out the crisis so did the 1997 financial crisis.

If you don't want to invest China, its OK with China.

I agree completely :)

I just wonder when (or if) the Chinese people will eventually get sick of censored content and rise above their government. There are a lot more Chinese citizens than there are government officials.

Nice to see Google being less evil for a change. Unless this is simply a plot in a bigger plan to be even more evil. :eek: :rolleyes:

That the U.S. owes over $2Trillion dollars to... You know all those wars, and humanitarian efforts the U.S. likes to make? Guess who's really funding that.

so because they own a bit of our foreign debt we should let their evil practices slide?

the chinese holdings of US debt really aren't that potent a weapon, take it from me, someone that interned at the federal reserve in his college years, the power that china has over US policy has more to do with the lack of balls on the part of our politicians more than china's debt holdings

besides, "If you owe a bank thousands, you have a problem; owe a bank millions, the bank has a problem"

or something like that anyway

I'd love it if google actually stood up to China, but something tells me they won't leave that massive market behind.

Yes! Do it Google! Right your wrongs! While you're at it, can you fix THIS?

BL3Lo.gif

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant. Hoorah!

No, not fuck China.

Fuck the Chinese government. There's a big fraking difference.

Come to think of it, I wonder where Microsoft comes in on this? Surely they were also one of the other companies involved.

Back