Google Pixel XL Phones Blacklisted as Stolen

Discussion in 'HardForum Tech News' started by FrgMstr, May 24, 2017.

1. FrgMstr

FrgMstr Just Plain Mean Staff Member

Swappa is mediating between me and the seller. He is pulling, well, I will have to talk to who I bought it from. I let him know that is not my issue and I would either get a prompt refund or I will file with PayPal. I will get my money back one way or another. Ordered another Pixel XL from the Google store today.

2. FrgMstr

The first two people I got on support were idiots. The last guy was sharp and go me answers quickly.

Vercinaigh and {NG}Fidel like this.
  3. Compddd

Compddd [H]ard|Gawd

Google doesn't give a shit about any of us.

4. rudedog

rudedog Gawd

Good luck Kyle,

What sucks even more, you got to play with it first and fell in love with it.

5. FrgMstr

6. FrgMstr

New one already ordered directly from Google. Love the phone, probably overpriced, but Google had nothing to do with it being stolen.

Vercinaigh, DejaWiz and superbovine like this.
  7. Rob94hawk

Rob94hawk 2[H]4U

What the hell is a pixel phone and what is all the rage? I'm not a big fan of this friggin iphone that my wife bought me for xmas. Might have to look into this.

8. FrgMstr

https://store.google.com

Vercinaigh likes this.
  9. TheBuzzer

TheBuzzer HACK THE WORLD!

ya google doesnt give any crap about what happens, line double charge me and never got the money back from google.

10. WaXmAn

WaXmAn [H]ard|Gawd

LOL

Just got this google email about the Pixel:

As a thank you for expressing interest in Pixel, here's a special limited-time offer.
    Take $75 off Pixel XL.

11. Chuklr

Chuklr Gawd

KYLE!!! You got SCREWED!!! :D

12. sirmonkey1985

sirmonkey1985 [H]ard|DCer of the Month - July 2010

that's only part of the issue as far as the platform goes, it's also the service providers that sell the phones that set their own eol date to force people to buy new phones.. honestly if it wasn't for google releasing a security patch my phone would still be stuck on android v3 but instead verizon was forced to update it to 4.0.8 even though it was well after the 2 1/2 year limit verizon sets on every phone model. my phone actually supports android v5(i always forget their code names for them) but i'm to lazy to root it to update it.

13. bastage

bastage Pics of your wife?

So the assumption seems to be that the phone has some sort of balance attached or some sort of fraud in purchasing it...

But there are also several people saying that it's because they were purchased through fi and now being used elsewhere.

Essentially carrier locking the phone after the fact. I would be filling a BBB complaint and probably also one with the FTC.

14. Killdozer

Killdozer [H]ard|Gawd

Wow what a saga.
    I've never been inclined to buy a used phone before and now this makes me suspicious of buying any used intelligent device like this.

Maybe phones needs titles and leins like cars so this doesn't happen anymore.

Also people are shit and this is why we can't have nice things. Most likely the Craigslist people are screwed but I'd definitely fight tooth and nail, and maybe even get class action status going against them, to get my money back from any of these places with a storefront or used PayPal.

15. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Damn, that sucks. I would be pissed!

My understanding is that what often happens is sellers cancel their accounts and sell their phones, but they forget to (or intentionally don't) pay their final bill, or pay it late, and then the device gets blacklisted.

Not saying this is what happened to you, but this is a not terribly uncommon scenario.

Vercinaigh likes this.
  16. Apple doesn't support phones forever either, and has no promise of how long you will get updates for. The Google devices get 2 years, but might get updates past that, it is just no longer a guarantee.

However that matters little, as most people going for obscure Android phone like the Pixel know exactly what they want, that being an Android system. If updates mean that much to you and you hold onto devices that long, go right ahead.

What did I say that was untrue? I also posted after them, his post was #25 and mine #28, I think you are very confused.

17. superbovine

superbovine [H]ardness Supreme

That's sounds incredibly rational and level headed.

scojer likes this.
  18. Killdozer

Killdozer [H]ard|Gawd

Indeed.
    I can't wait to see their reaction to the proposed legislation that will fix the mess they created. Crying big corporate tears.

19. bezant

bezant Gawd

Yes you can. Buy a used one through swappa ☺️

Master_shake_, DocNo and HeavensCloud like this.
  20. superbovine

Seriously, we're talking about buying a phone under a payment plan and the person then defaults on that plan by never activating the account that takes the payments on said phone. This has been going on with cell phones for over a decade. In the instance of Fi you activate the account and the phone is part of the bill. You don't activate, they attempt to charge the phone to the card attached to the order. If it fails, the phone is black listed. This shit isn't new nor is it unfair. You buy stolen shit, don't be surprised if you get fucked. This sissy shit of complaining to the BBB because you bought something that wasn't another person's property to sell is incredible. People need to fuck off with this entitled bull shit.

Ocellaris likes this.
  21. Zarathustra[H]

Zarathustra[H] Official Forum Curmudgeon

Wait, what? So, lets say when I feel I am ready to upgrade to a new phone, I can't sell my old phone to someone else because I bough tit via Project Fi? This can't possibly be right.

Vercinaigh likes this.
  22. Krazy925

Krazy925 2[H]4U

I'll make it easy for you. Apple provides updates for at least my wife's 4 year old phone. But hey I get it, being wrong and all that.

Master_shake_ and grtitan like this.
  23. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

The Pixel phones are awesome phones by themselves, but it seems they are plagued with some major extraneous issues such as lack of supply and now this blacklist issue. I don't think they're nearly worth the price Google put on them either considering they're lacking a lot of hardware features that the Galaxy and iPhones have such as water resistance, wireless charging, stereo speakers, and smaller bezels/footprint. I definitely prefer the hardware/design of my Nexus 6P over the Pixel as well, so it wasn't a very enticing phone to upgrade to for me. Hopefully Google steps up their game for the next Pixel phones both in terms of hardware and value, but their supply issue has consistently been an issue for all of their phones to some extent, but the Pixel line has been the worst by far now.

The Pixel came out last October.. you couldn't have had it for more than 7-8 months now.

24. westrock2000

westrock2000 [H]ardForum Junkie

I don't even know WTF is going on in here, but it sounds like some major bullshit hassle.

scojer likes this.
  25. Brian_B

Brian_B 2[H]4U

I'd call that "almost a year".

Master_shake_, SomeoneElse and scojer like this.
  26. y2jdmbfan

y2jdmbfan n00b

The other carriers aren't blacklisting phones for non-payment anymore. They just bill the account, and don't blacklist the devices and will go after the person who owes money via collections or what not if they don't pay. Fi, probably because it is pseudo pre-pay seems to just have blacklisted a bunch of devices that weren't being used with Fi SIM cards any longer. I advise anyone who had this happen to open a claim on Paypal, you will surely get your money back as long as it was bought in the last 180 days.

27. superbovine

There's a couple thousand cell phones with bad esn/imei's on eBay that would imply otherwise.

bbenz33 likes this.
  28. y2jdmbfan

y2jdmbfan n00b

I was referring to phones bought on AT&T Next Plans or the like.

29. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse [H]ard|Gawd

Ok over half a year my bad......been a long past 2 months....

30. superbovine

That's not terribly relevant then.

31. Logan321

Logan321 [H]ard|Gawd

Hey, this thread is about blacklisted pixel phones. Take your off-topic Apple soap boxing elsewhere. Not relevant.

32. N4CR

N4CR 2[H]4U

Lmao they should go tell someone with a 4s how good the updates are.

On another note if anyone has any imei'd pixel phones they want to get rid of, I'd love a small home use wifi tablet.

33. grtitan

grtitan Telemetry is Spying on ME!

You are barking at the wrong poster...

34. DocNo

DocNo Gawd

Google - the only company capable of having shittier customer support than Sprint.

d8lock and Master_shake_ like this.
  35. TroubleMagnet

TroubleMagnet Gawd

Pretty much all customer support sucks. Pixel XL is great when it works. Had my GPS die a few weeks ago, had to go through safe mode and factory reset before they would give me a replacement despite this apparently being a known hardware failure mode on their forums. Then the first replacement phone I got from them had, wait for it, dead GPS. Second one is good, so far. Had it since release, pre-ordered it even. Have a bad feeling it's going to die again once it's out of warrenty. Bummer since I use Waze to avoid traffic going home from work almost every workday.

36. Krazy925

Krazy925 2[H]4U

They could apparently take a few pages out of apples book... ;)

37. Logan321

Logan321 [H]ard|Gawd

Oh, I hope not. "Upgrade" their phones software until they're unable to function? I prefer the 2 year limit personally.

38. Krazy925

Krazy925 2[H]4U

You prefer to receive less.... very rarely do I read something that is both stupid and leaves me speechless. I love when companies put me on a time limit to receive security updates.

grtitan likes this.
  39. Teenyman45

Teenyman45 2[H]4U

Wonder what state would have "not legitimate" as a specific civil or criminal term. Failing to adhere to ToS and other contracts just means the wronged party can sue the party who breached the agreement and maybe third parties who knowingly went along with it. Many jurisdictions have taken steps to prevent collateral damage to other parties from contract disputes.

40. Tiberian

Tiberian DILLIGAFuck

So, Kyle, what are your plans for the now blacklisted Pixel XL? Gonna offer it up to someone or... perhaps, target practice on a nice sunny Spring day? :D

I can always use such a device, don't care if it's got cellular service or not as long as the Wi-Fi works, that's what counts since I do everything over VoIP anyway.

But even so, let us know what you plan to do and if it's that course of action by all means, VIDEO TIME!!!