Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

Has anyone bought a pixel2xl lately and have they had any issues with the screen?

Anyone get this e-mail?

That's about the highest price I would consider getting a 2XL at. I didn't get the e-mail though since I didn't get my Gnex or 6P through the Google store. I mean my 6P was purchased through the Google store, but then resold to me and then I had to RMA it and Googled registered it under me for the RMA, but I doubt that counts, hah.

I got it late last night. It's valid through 2/28/18 so Ive got to decide if if I want to get the Pixel 2 or XL or just stick with my iPhone X.

I have bought a ton of phones in the past but slowed way down this past year as everything just felt like a spec bump with nothing really to draw me in as phones are more than fast enough for what I use mine for. Kind of like PC's. I used to build a new machine every year but stopped a few years back after evaluating my and my family's use and realizing I was just building to build (and I enjoyed it).

I want a great camera, good or better battery life, regular updates and a phone that just works.

That puts me squarely in the iPhone or Pixel camp.

I had last year's Pixel and Pixel XL both of which were fine but the IPhone 7 Plus was just a bit better for my use as the majority of my clients use an iPhone as well.

There are surprisingly more Pixel phones popping up now which is encouraging as I think I could go back to using a Pixel full time without much issue and the 20% off may be the kick in the pants that I need.

Reactions: T4rd
like this
I got it late last night. It's valid through 2/28/18 so Ive got to decide if if I want to get the Pixel 2 or XL or just stick with my iPhone X.

I have bought a ton of phones in the past but slowed way down this past year as everything just felt like a spec bump with nothing really to draw me in as phones are more than fast enough for what I use mine for. Kind of like PC's. I used to build a new machine every year but stopped a few years back after evaluating my and my family's use and realizing I was just building to build (and I enjoyed it).

I want a great camera, good or better battery life, regular updates and a phone that just works.

That puts me squarely in the iPhone or Pixel camp.

I had last year's Pixel and Pixel XL both of which were fine but the IPhone 7 Plus was just a bit better for my use as the majority of my clients use an iPhone as well.

There are surprisingly more Pixel phones popping up now which is encouraging as I think I could go back to using a Pixel full time without much issue and the 20% off may be the kick in the pants that I need.

Not sure if the promo is locked too your account, but if you're not going to use it, I'd greatly appreciate the code/link for the promo. I can trade in my current 6P for an additional $140 or so off too, I think.

I've tried a dozen other thrnrs,but always come back to this. It's just super high quality, and looks fantastic. I love the shade of darkness, not pitch black, but just an eye plesseinh dark. Looks very professional.
Shit, a bit more to this than just installing it....

I tried that Substratum theme on my OP5 and it caused a lot of headaches for me. I'll give it a shot on my Pixel when it's delivered.

Not sure if the promo is locked too your account, but if you're not going to use it, I'd greatly appreciate the code/link for the promo. I can trade in my current 6P for an additional $140 or so off too, I think.

It is account specific and is activated by clicking through the link.

Ahh, well then I can Paypal you for it too then. But I'd understand if you didn't want to do that.

Slickdeals is reporting that the offer is targeted at Nexus owners who have purchased from Google in the past and that more emails are set to be sent out. Once clicked through its tied to the Gmail account so no transfer.

Crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter dropped my Pixel 2 XL in the shopping cart. Huge spiderweb cracks in top corner, with big gouge by earpiece. Screen is pretty much wrecked. I am so upset. I know it was an accidental drop by my daughter, but still sucks.

Ugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this phone. Luckily I have an old backup phone.

Is there anyway to have this repaired easily ? Or even locally ?

Crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!

My daughter dropped my Pixel 2 XL in the shopping cart. Huge spiderweb cracks in top corner, with big gouge by earpiece. Screen is pretty much wrecked. I am so upset. I know it was an accidental drop by my daughter, but still sucks.

Ugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

uBreakiFix is the official pixel 2 repair shop. Front glass and display replacement is like $220.

I know if it's your first time, it can seem a bit confusing, let me try to walk you through it, the best I can, I'm no computer wiz by no means.

- https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=projekt.substratum&hl=en
You need the Substratum theme engine installed first.

- Once the theme engine is installed, and the theme itself is downloaded and installed, just click on the Substratum app

- Then select Swift Dark, tap that, a little box will pop up, tap Next.

- In the middle right side select that and enable, make sure you select the version your running which for me is Android 8,1 - Nexus or Pixel.

- Then scroll down top the bottom right, tap the circle with the little squares in it, and tap the first option of Build and Enable. Then let it do it's thing. And wait until it's finished, which can take a 30 seconds to a couple of minutes. After it's complete a reboot is best.
This is really starting to piss me off. Trying to get the thing to verify through the desktop app as shown in the how to video, and I cannot get it to verify the install on my phone...

Crap !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ugh !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No case..?

Had a Pixel XL. Decided to get the iPhone 8 Plus last October (I often switch between the platforms). Decided I wanted the better App experience of iOS. Just traded the phone in for a Pixel 2 XL. I was shocked with how much I really missed the flow and use of Android.

Pixel XL 2 feels great so far :) (Well, technically this is my second. The first had an issue where the screen had two areas that looked like the screen and glass had seperated a little - Luckily exchanged no issue).

Did you check Swappa. There are lots of them for sale

Yah I did, I’ve just never bought anything from there and I’ve heard some bs about it so I’ve stayed away.

And as far as craigslist goes, I just picked up a regular pixel but it’s a bit to small for me. No luck with good condition XL’s though.

Yah I did, I’ve just never bought anything from there and I’ve heard some bs about it so I’ve stayed away.

And as far as craigslist goes, I just picked up a regular pixel but it’s a bit to small for me. No luck with good condition XL’s though.

I've bought 3 phones from Swappa. No issues. I've never heard anyone have issues buying from there either. Probably because even if there is an issue, the buyer pretty much always wins any dispute by default because that's how PayPal works, so risk is pretty minimal regardless.

I've bought 3 phones from Swappa. No issues. I've never heard anyone have issues buying from there either. Probably because even if there is an issue, the buyer pretty much always wins any dispute by default because that's how PayPal works, so risk is pretty minimal regardless.
Yeah, Swappa is legit. I've sold 2 phones and an iPad through them. Smooth transactions every time.

I agree I have bought and sold on swappa without any issues. It's my go-to place for near mint used phones.

It was created by a couple of XDA members after the BST forum on XDA shutdown several years back.

I have bought and sold quite a few phones and have had only positive experiences.

Used phones are getting to be more and more of a crap shoot though with so many people leasing them. Plenty of stories of people buying a phone or lunch to get it blacklisted a month or more after the face when the seller decides to stop making payments on his plan.

Yeah, Swappa is legit. I've sold 2 phones and an iPad through them. Smooth transactions every time.
I agree I have bought and sold on swappa without any issues. It's my go-to place for near mint used phones.
It was created by a couple of XDA members after the BST forum on XDA shutdown several years back.

I have bought and sold quite a few phones and have had only positive experiences.

Used phones are getting to be more and more of a crap shoot though with so many people leasing them. Plenty of stories of people buying a phone or lunch to get it blacklisted a month or more after the face when the seller decides to stop making payments on his plan.

Well, that was quick haha. I guess ill be going to swappa now to check it out. Looking for a very good condition pixel XL. Any help would be appreciated!

If you guys are looking at the Pixel 2, make sure you pay a bit more for the XL version, it's way nicer. The bezels on the vanilla Pixel 2 are straight out of 2009.

The Pixel 2 XL is one of the nicest phones on the market. It has an outstanding camera. I prefer the dual cameras on my LG G6 though. Plus I got the G6 for around 1/3 the cost.

If you guys are looking at the Pixel 2, make sure you pay a bit more for the XL version, it's way nicer. The bezels on the vanilla Pixel 2 are straight out of 2009.

The Pixel 2 XL is one of the nicest phones on the market. It has an outstanding camera. I prefer the dual cameras on my LG G6 though. Plus I got the G6 for around 1/3 the cost.
it's all relative.. imo it's a really good time to need a smart phone. So many choices at all different budget levels and wants/needs

It is account specific and is activated by clicking through the link.

Slickdeals is reporting that the offer is targeted at Nexus owners who have purchased from Google in the past and that more emails are set to be sent out. Once clicked through its tied to the Gmail account so no transfer.

Just checked the Slickdeals thread to see if anyone else has been able to get this promo without the e-mail. Apparently it's not account specific and there's a code you can use in the e-mail as an alternative to using the link according to this guy.

Promo E-mail said:
"To redeem promotional code, click the 'buy' button to add the product to your cart and then proceed to checkout. Promo will be automatically applied at checkout. If you prefer to use a promo code, copy and paste the following code xxxxxxxxxxxx in the 'Add a promo code' section at checkout. Once pasted, click the 'APPLY' text in blue during checkout to receive 20% off discount for purchase of Pixel 2 or Pixel 2 XL on Google Store. The 20% discount will be applied at checkout."

I haven't seen anyone share their code out in that thread though or confirm that the code is still tied to the account it was sent to, they're just assuming it's not.

So if you (or anyone else here that got it) don't plan on using the code, I'd definitely appreciate it. ;)

Last edited:

Check your PM. Should have a little present waiting for you.

LMK if it works.

like this

Unless you care about the screen. I had a Pixel 2 XL for 1 day and sent it back.

My P2XL was delivered this morning. After setting it up, I noticed the blue shift was still there at an angle, but it didn't seem as strong as on my first one. I switched the Color setting to Saturated and the screen came alive. It looks great. I'm still trying to get used to the rear sensor, but I'm feeling good about the phone, this time. (y)

Is there any way to modify the notification LED? Mine just flashes white when I get a text. It doesn't work for emails or other notifications.

EDIT: Looks like therre's no LED customization on the phone, but I found an app that does it. Light Manager Pro ($1.49) offers a lot of options. Kinda odd that these options aren't native.

Last edited:
Thanks to radeon962 for the 20% off code, I'll have mine (XL) here tomorrow. Shipping initially said it'd be at least a week when I ordered with standard ground shipping, but it just posted tracking today and now it says it'll be here tomorrow, hah. Thought I'd have time to shop for a good case and screen protector, but I guess I have to order now so it's not naked too long. Anyone have this Spigen Rugged Armor case? I have used the Supcase Beetle for my last few phones and loved them, but it seems they've ruined their design now since they removed the raised buttons and tactile feel they give you. I'm looking for a thinnest case I can get though while still providing good protection against drops.

Also, I really like to use glass screen protectors too, but these phones with their stupid rounded glass edges are making that much harder for the OEMs to make any decent ones that cover the whole glass face and fit to the screen well. Most of what I'm seeing on Amazon have mixed reviews at best or obviously tons of fake 5-star reviews. So if anyone can make any suggestions there too, I'd appreciate it.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
This one from Bodyguardz is the one I'll most likely get. I've used their shields on all my iPhones and iPads with very good results. They have lifetime free replacements and always respond quickly to my questions/concerns.

https://www.bodyguardz.com/google/google-pixel-xl-2-screen-protectors-tempered-glass.html

I'm using this case, for now: https://www.amazon.com/Caseology-Pr...pID=41VPgGExOoL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

I joined an Indiegogo campaign for a new dbrand case called The Grip. It looks really good and should ship in March.

https://dbrand.com/grip

Last edited:
like this
This one from Bodyguardz is the one I'll most likely get. I've used their shields on all my iPhones and iPads with very good results. They have lifetime free replacements and always respond quickly to my questions/concerns.

https://www.bodyguardz.com/google/google-pixel-xl-2-screen-protectors-tempered-glass.html

Yeah, I'm used to getting a good one for $8 that also comes with a lifetime free replacement, hah. I used iCarez for my 6P and kept the same one on it for 18 months until it chipped and cracked from the edge, then they gave me a free replacement too. But unfortunately it seems they couldn't make one to fit the 2 XL very well because of the rounded edges. I'm really not feeling $50 for a screen protector, but I guess I have to if I want something that fits well enough.

Yeah, I'm used to getting a good one for $8 that also comes with a lifetime free replacement, hah. I used iCarez for my 6P and kept the same one on it for 18 months until it chipped and cracked from the edge, then they gave me a free replacement too. But unfortunately it seems they couldn't make one to fit the 2 XL very well because of the rounded edges. I'm really not feeling $50 for a screen protector, but I guess I have to if I want something that fits well enough.
$50 ain't cheap, to be sure. I'm not sure how case friendly it is, either. They're good with returns if something doesn't work, though.

Thanks to radeon962 for the 20% off code, I'll have mine (XL) here tomorrow. Shipping initially said it'd be at least a week when I ordered with standard ground shipping, but it just posted tracking today and now it says it'll be here tomorrow, hah. Thought I'd have time to shop for a good case and screen protector, but I guess I have to order now so it's not naked too long. Anyone have this Spigen Rugged Armor case? I have used the Supcase Beetle for my last few phones and loved them, but it seems they've ruined their design now since they removed the raised buttons and tactile feel they give you. I'm looking for a thinnest case I can get though while still providing good protection against drops.

Also, I really like to use glass screen protectors too, but these phones with their stupid rounded glass edges are making that much harder for the OEMs to make any decent ones that cover the whole glass face and fit to the screen well. Most of what I'm seeing on Amazon have mixed reviews at best or obviously tons of fake 5-star reviews. So if anyone can make any suggestions there too, I'd appreciate it.

Glad you were able to put it to use.

like this
I just ordered the Bodyguardz screen shield. Will let you know my thoughts when it arrives in a few days.

like this
Back