Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

Well my second Google Pixel 2 XL is being shipped today and delivered tomorrow. Going to have fun the next few days directly comparing it to my iPhone X and then deciding on which one to settle with.
This is exactly what I’m doing. Pixel 2 XL panda is being shipped this week. Will be comparing it with the iPhone X that I just picked up to test drive as well.

So I got my replacement phone. Blue shift was exactly the same (not terrible). Also got my free home mini. Not sure what I need this for but my dog loves it when it makes animal noises, so I had some fun with that over the weekend.

I also got my AIAIAI BT headphones, they are amazing. Its nice to be able to walk around the office cordless :)

So I got my replacement phone. Blue shift was exactly the same (not terrible). Also got my free home mini. Not sure what I need this for but my dog loves it when it makes animal noises, so I had some fun with that over the weekend.

I also got my AIAIAI BT headphones, they are amazing. Its nice to be able to walk around the office cordless :)
Bummer on the screen. Gonna keep this one?

My Home Mini showed up yesterday and I just gave it to my wife. It never seems to answer the questions I have and it even seems to give inaccurate traffic reports. On the plus side, it actually sounds pretty good for background music. I expected something akin to clock radio speakers, but it's way better than that. I can see it being useful for random reminders and maybe the weather report.

My Pixel 2 XL came in and fuck me. The screen is almost perfect. The blue shift is very minimal, and very gradual over the entire screen. The first one I had was VERY blue and when you tilted it, it looked like a blue wave was flowing across your screen. Completely not the case on this phone. The blue shift on it is only slightly worse than what I have on my iPhone X and almost identical to my mother's S8. It looks exactly like the good one in that video in the previous page.

Here's a video:

Nice!! Congrats, man! I'm gonna give it another shot. Wish me luck.

That looks great! No worse than the usual OLED.

I still slightly prefer the creamy smoothness of a high quality LCD but OLED has so many advantageous too.

Nice!! Congrats, man! I'm gonna give it another shot. Wish me luck.

Good luck! Something else I noticed is the blue shift comes in at a much steeper angle than my previous phone and is the exact same angle where my iPhone X begins to shift.

The iPhone X display is clearly better, it shifts less than my Pixel 2 XL and is brighter by quite a bit. But this new Pixel 2 XL that I have is MUCH better than my previous one. Wish I still had it so I could show a comparison side by side.

Good luck! Something else I noticed is the blue shift comes in at a much steeper angle than my previous phone and is the exact same angle where my iPhone X begins to shift.

The iPhone X display is clearly better, it shifts less than my Pixel 2 XL and is brighter by quite a bit. But this new Pixel 2 XL that I have is MUCH better than my previous one. Wish I still had it so I could show a comparison side by side.

How much better is the battery life on the pixel 2 xl compared to the iPhone X? Since you own both.

How much better is the battery life on the pixel 2 xl compared to the iPhone X? Since you own both.
I average 6-7 hours on the iPhone X and 7-8 hours on the Pixel 2 XL. So I get up to 2 hours more SoT on the Pixel 2 XL. It's also the only phone to last me two full days with moderate use.

ykLHJu0h.jpg

This camera is honestly unmatched. Too bad Imgur compression sucks.

EDIT: Reduced image size.

Last edited:
I just got my Black and White Pixel 2 XL 128GB.

Initial impressions overall are positive. I think I'm happy with the upgrade from the Pixel XL. I like the way it feels in my hands a lot better than the Pixel XL.

Yes, the screen does turn blue at an angle but it's not an issue at normal viewing angles. The default font size seems larger and easier to read than my Pixel XL, I appreciate that. I like the default color settings, the this screen looks dull comments make no sense we to me. Also the new aspect ratio is amazing. Feels like I can see so much more on the screen at one time.

The speakers are a bit overrated IMHO. The speakers vibrate a fair but over 3/4 volume. I appreciate that I am not constantly covering up the speaker by accident though since they are now large oppennings on the front of the phone.

The haptic feedback is much more crisp and feels really nice. They even added haptic feedback to the keyboard when you use the space bar to move your cursor. Super nuce.

I live squeezing the phone for Google assistant instead of having to hunt for the home button or saying OK GOOGLE.

I also got the carbon fabric case from Google. I love it. I'm still going to rock my phone naked when I can.

I just got my Black and White Pixel 2 XL 128GB.

Initial impressions overall are positive. I think I'm happy with the upgrade from the Pixel XL. I like the way it feels in my hands a lot better than the Pixel XL.

Yes, the screen does turn blue at an angle but it's not an issue at normal viewing angles. The default font size seems larger and easier to read than my Pixel XL, I appreciate that. I like the default color settings, the this screen looks dull comments make no sense we to me. Also the new aspect ratio is amazing. Feels like I can see so much more on the screen at one time.

The speakers are a bit overrated IMHO. The speakers vibrate a fair but over 3/4 volume. I appreciate that I am not constantly covering up the speaker by accident though since they are now large oppennings on the front of the phone.

The haptic feedback is much more crisp and feels really nice. They even added haptic feedback to the keyboard when you use the space bar to move your cursor. Super nuce.

I live squeezing the phone for Google assistant instead of having to hunt for the home button or saying OK GOOGLE.

I also got the carbon fabric case from Google. I love it. I'm still going to rock my phone naked when I can.

I personally find my Nexus 6P had slightly better speakers than my current Pixel 2 Kinda Blue (Non-xl). But my 6p is dead so I can't actually do comparisons haha.

I haven't seen anyone comment on this yet but the noise cancellation on phone calls is insanely good. When I was testing, you can hardly ever hear any background ambient sound, just your voice except for quite loud sounds. I've never seen noise cancellation work this well for phone calls in any previous phone.

Received my Panda XL yesterday. Phone is great, but the dirty screen effect is pretty apparent. I don't care too much for the blue tint. The iPhone X screen is definitely miles better.

I haven't seen anyone comment on this yet but the noise cancellation on phone calls is insanely good. When I was testing, you can hardly ever hear any background ambient sound, just your voice except for quite loud sounds. I've never seen noise cancellation work this well for phone calls in any previous phone.

I have to say mines been very clear as well. Nexus 6p had some issues, but this doesn't. That said until i received the Nov patch, I had issues with my bluetooth headset. Now fixed and clear as can be :).

Man, multitasking with this huge display is amazing. Totally makes the multitasking feature worth using now.

Yeah I'm a little bummed about the non edge to edge screen on the Pixel 2 non XL, but I'll deal with it. Still the fastest and smoothest phone I've ever used.

Curved tempered glass screen protectors: Went through 3 so far from amFilm. The first one came cracked on delivery. The 2nd one had "lack of adhesive". Was put on perfectly. After about a week I got tons of dust underneath the screen (due to adhesive only covering the edges). The 3rd one I got had PERFECT adhesive, however I have a bad rainbow hue in the middle.

If anyone has advice on a better brand tempered glass, please let me know.
As much as I just want to say "Whitestone Dome Glass", it appears that they only bother with supporting Apple and Samsung devices.

Their approach is to use LOCA glue that cures under UV light (Whitestone uses a nail polish UV lamp) as a full-screen adhesive; if you can find a good glass screen protector that doesn't have an annoying dot matrix or anything of that nature in the middle to try and ensure touch sensitivity at the cost of visual clarity, then you can use some of that LOCA glue between the protector and glass digitizer layer to ensure there are no gaps. It'll be trickier without the jig that Whitestone includes with their protectors to make installation easier, but doable.

Man, multitasking with this huge display is amazing. Totally makes the multitasking feature worth using now.
This is actually one of the big reasons I don't mind the move to 18:9 (2:1) or even 18.5/9 aspect ratios, since that extra bit of screen space makes split-screen mode that much more usable, all without making the phone that much larger compared to past models with thicker bezels on top and bottom.

Too bad there's still a virtual keyboard eating up half the screen any time I need to enter text.

The Bluetooth seems to be functioning better than my Pixel XL. When using my Bragi Headphones with my phone in my left pocket, the sound doesn't cut out when I turn my head like it did with my Pixel XL.

Also, I can see the battery level of my Bluetooth headphones in the Bluetooth config screen now. I can confirm seeing this for my Bragi Headphones and my Bowers and Wilkins p7 Wireless headphones. APTX also seems to be working just fine on the P7s. Sweet. Glad they improved that on a phone without a headphone jack...

I can see the battery level on my AIAIAI Bluetooth headphones too. They are amazing. I don't intend to use corded headphones again expect on an airplane or at work where I can't connect anything via USB or bluetooth. Luckily they also allow a cord to be plugged into them if the battery dies or you need it for one of the reasons above. Battery seems to last me about 2 9 hours days at work without needing to be charged too so good enough!

Currently using this configuration https://aiaiai.dk/headphones/tma-2/s04h05e05c04
Tempted to try some different pads maybe but these are comfortable and don't make my ears sweat.
Maybe E04 or E06? Hit config to see options. They also have a USB-C cable coming for the pixel so you don't have to use an adapter if you don't want the expensive bluetooth headband option.

Oh yea, I preordered these before I even knew I was going to get a phone without a headphone jack. I was tired of cables getting caught around my office chair then ripping off my head when I would stand up. I'm not anti headphone jack, but I don't see myself going back to one for headphones. Another downside of the phone losing the jack is no FM Radio :(

Last edited:
What color mode is everyone using? I feel like Google doesn't know how to correctly calibrate for the color red. It's too brown/dark in natural and boosted, and it's way overblown in saturated.

Anyone having issues with the fingerprint scanner? My first 2 XL never missed a beat, but this new unit I have I'd say the accuracy is only about 70-80%...I've already rescanned my fingerprint multiple times and have reset the device but no improvement...

I've been on boosted. Saturated the screen takes a red tinge and reds in general pop way to much. I wish they'd unlock contrast and saturation and let us customize it.

Finger print scanner I have zero issues.

I'm not having any trouble with my fingerprint scanner with or without my Google Fabric case installed.

I prefer the default boosted color profile personally. I know they put that new saturated option in to appease the masses who want an over saturated viewing experience but I really prefer the default boosted mode.

It's no secret that these displays are not well calibrated. The first generation Pixel XL wasn't well calibrated either though.

This video explains the calibration issues before the new options were available but my understanding is that Natural was the default when reviewers received this phone. Then they enabled the Vivid by default later and then they released the update to make the new color modes available. I believe Natural = Vivid off, Bosted = Vivid mode enabled and then the Saturated option is the new over saturated option that was added.

I'm hoping that lessons have been learned and they spend a bit more time on the next gen device and calibrate these displays properly on a per device basis like Apple does, especially for the price they are charging...

No hijack intended but...Just want to say I'm loving my Pixel Buds with my original Pixel. I know they have not great reviews but I love them. Using the assistant with them is awesome. Reads you your notifications, makes calls, translate ect. Check them out if you can.

I'm considering the Pixel Buds. I currently have some Bragi Headphones but the case they come with doesn't charge them and if you leave them in your pocket for a week, the left bud goes dead. They have to be plugged in daily, even if I don't use them...

I like having a case that I can put in my coat pocket. I frequently use my buds for listing to podcasts, so I'm pretty sure the Pixel Buds will do the trick.

If only Google could do a better job making their products available... They still aren't for sale in Canada yet...

Pixel Buds reviews aren't just bad. They almost seem vengeful. They don't sound great on paper, but tech journalists seem to be in a rush to declare everything the next big failure/disaster.

Pixel Buds reviews aren't just bad. They almost seem vengeful. They don't sound great on paper, but tech journalists seem to be in a rush to declare everything the next big failure/disaster.

“They’re ok” doesn’t pull in any views. You have to clickbait the shit out of titles. “The dirty secret Google doesn’t want you to know about the Pixel Buds”, or “Apple should be terrified of what Google is doing with their new Pixel Buds” gets those click throughs and ad revenue.

If the Pixel Bud is under $80, it would perhaps get raving reviews. But that "awesome" live translation feature doesn't even work as well as just using Google Translate on your phone. Also for $160, it should at the very least be better sounding than the $150 Bragi The Headphone. The Headphone is true wireless too. For semi-wired, you might as well get the Bose SoundSport Wireless at $130.

“They’re ok” doesn’t pull in any views. You have to clickbait the shit out of titles. “The dirty secret Google doesn’t want you to know about the Pixel Buds”, or “Apple should be terrified of what Google is doing with their new Pixel Buds” gets those click throughs and ad revenue.

I don't think it's clickbait most of the time -- those examples you gave, certainly, but not many of them. The problem with the Pixel Buds is more that Google hyped them as some kind of Star Trek wonder gadget, but they clearly don't live up to those expectations. "They're okay" isn't good enough between the price and Google's claims.

I like that I can have them make a call for me, send a text or email, alert me when I have incoming messages and read me those messages and of course all the music features.

Would like to post a follow-up update regarding Android Auto issues (For my Pixel 2 XL). After closely monitoring the official Android forums - Specifically purchasing an Anker PowerLine+ USB 3.0 cable, I am not having problems anymore - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3NB6FB/

The cable which came with my Nexus 6P cable did not work correctly, nor did my Tronsmart.

Where there is no simple fix that will fix everyone's phone, this fixed my issue. I was skeptical at first, because how could a simple cable fix the problem? However, after reading on the Pixel forum the success rate of this cable is 100%, I figured I'd plunge the ~$11 and give it a shot. Couldn't hurt and could always return the cable.

My guess is there's some sort of shielding that helps prevent latency/interference with this specific cable.

Regardless, I'm sure Google will fix it eventually with a software update (changing latency timings of some sort). But for now the $11-$12 was worth it for me to have Android Auto working ASAP as I've rely on it for travel.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Would like to post a follow-up update regarding Android Auto issues (For my Pixel 2 XL). After closely monitoring the official Android forums - Specifically purchasing an Anker PowerLine+ USB 3.0 cable, I am not having problems anymore - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M3NB6FB/

The cable which came with my Nexus 6P cable did not work correctly, nor did my Tronsmart.

Where there is no simple fix that will fix everyone's phone, this fixed my issue. I was skeptical at first, because how could a simple cable fix the problem? However, after reading on the Pixel forum the success rate of this cable is 100%, I figured I'd plunge the ~$11 and give it a shot. Couldn't hurt and could always return the cable.

My guess is there's some sort of shielding that helps prevent latency/interference with this specific cable.

Regardless, I'm sure Google will fix it eventually with a software update (changing latency timings of some sort). But for now the $11-$12 was worth it for me to have Android Auto working ASAP as I've rely on it for travel.

I tested android auto while test driving a Bolt with some generic but somewhat expensive cable and it seemed to work ok. The USB-C cable that came with my nexus 6P does not fast charge my pixel 2 xl for some reason but but the old charger still says it is "fast charging the pixel 2 XL"

Anyways your Nexus 6P came with a USB to USB-C cable? I thought mine only came with a USB-C to USB-C?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I tested android auto while test driving a Bolt with some generic but somewhat expensive cable and it seemed to work ok. The USB-C cable that came with my nexus 6P does not fast charge my pixel 2 xl for some reason but but the old charger still says it is "fast charging the pixel 2 XL"

Anyways your Nexus 6P came with a USB to USB-C cable? I thought mine only came with a USB-C to USB-C?

Yep. My nexus 6P cable came with a USB C to C cable, a charger brick, as well as a short USB A to C cable.

Pixel 2 XL only came with the C to C and charging brick, no USB A to C. Not sure what Google was thinking, especially when a USB A to C cable is needed for 99.8% of computers to transfer data to PC's.

I found the lack of A to C to be odd. I've been using the charge cable for the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller to connect my phone to my PC. Seems like they could have spent a few extra dollars to include one.

Back