Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

At this point I don't think it is burn-in, but rather recoverable image retention (unless the display is very low quality). But in the long run if Google doesn't include an auto-hide functionality for the navigation bar then it will likely suffer permanent burn in.

Been streaming all afternoon.

Screenshot_20171022-161703.png

At this point I don't think it is burn-in, but rather recoverable image retention (unless the display is very low quality). But in the long run if Google doesn't include an auto-hide functionality for the navigation bar then it will likely suffer permanent burn in.
Google doesn't have an auto-hiding nav bar on their Android skin/fork as an option, even with Oreo?

That's a pretty big letdown, and not just regarding burn-in (I like being able to see a bit more content). LG has auto-hide. Samsung has auto-hide. LineageOS and Resurrection Remix have per-app auto-hide (more like customizable immersive mode) for the nav bar and the status bar.

There are some GMD apps to get around that on the Play Store (fiddled around with 'em a bit on my Cintiq Companion Hybrid before I found out towelroot worked and I just edited the nav bar out in the build.prop), but they tend to cost a bit of money for something that should be, quite frankly, baked into AOSP by now.

Google is now investigating the issue.
If they were to find a widespread issue what would their recourse be a recall?
Not sure what good a recall would do. They'd need to change the organic material in the screens or change the screens all together. Very unlikely at this point. I could see them pushing a software update that has the navigation bar auto hide though.

I've not had the luxury of my phone lasting over a day yet, but I have found it very impressive to be able to play Pokemon Go for 6+ hours on a single charge. The game also runs super smooth on this phone, way better than my S7 and my wife's old iPhone 6.

I got my Pixel 2 last Thursday afternoon. So far I have very much enjoyed it, with one incredibly annoying exception, which I knew about but didn't realize how much it would bother me. I have a very nice pair of wired studio monitor (extreme noise isolating) earbuds that I use at work to drown out all the noise when I'm coding. Having to carry that stupid adapter around is irritating to say the least, and not being able to charge it while listening to music even more so. I realize there are lots of "splitters" on the market, but apparently none of the ones I have found thus far work with the Pixel according to most of the reviews. Further more the sound quality using the adapter is noticeably worse than my LG V20.

Personally, I'd rather carry around a small USB-C DAC than this piece of shit adapter. And I'm really not interested in scrapping my nice ear buds for some weird off brand garbage USB-C ear buds or some giant bulky over priced over ear units, which seem to be the only thing available right now.

Last edited:
Go wireless with anc. Issues over. Welcome to 2015...

I have multiple pairs of wired $200+ headphones, a couple $400+, and another that was $799. I understand the pain of not having a 3.5mm jack. Instead, I back a battery case with a 3.5mm jack on Kickstarter. I hardly use it because it's so damn heavy. I keep in the gym bag in case my wireless devices ran out of battery. I have a pair of Bragis that sounds terrible to be honest, but good enough for the gym. I have a Bose QC35 which is pretty awesome, so awesome that I wish I could use this with my Xbox One. Just invest in one or two pairs of good wireless headphones. You'll enjoy your life better.

Last edited:
I got my Pixel 2 last Thursday afternoon. So far I have very much enjoyed it, with one incredibly annoying exception, which I knew about but didn't realize how much it would bother me. I have a very nice pair of wired studio monitor (extreme noise isolating) earbuds that I use at work to drown out all the noise when I'm coding. Having to carry that stupid adapter around is irritating to say the least, and not being able to charge it while listening to music even more so. I realize there are lots of "splitters" on the market, but apparently none of the ones I have found thus far work with the Pixel according to most of the reviews. Further more the sound quality using the adapter is noticeably worse than my LG V20.

Personally, I'd rather carry around a small USB-C DAC than this piece of shit adapter. And I'm really not interested in scrapping my nice ear buds for some weird off brand garbage USB-C ear buds or some giant bulky over priced over ear units, which seem to be the only thing available right now.

Unlocked V30s are coming in a couple of days. Just sayin'.

Go wireless with anc. Issues over. Welcome to 2015...

I have multiple pairs of wired $200+ headphones, a couple $400+, and another that was $799. I understand the pain of not having a 3.5mm jack. Instead, I back a battery case with a 3.5mm jack on Kickstarter. I hardly use it because it's so damn heavy. I keep in the gym bag in case my wireless devices ran out of battery. I have a pair of Bragis that sounds terrible to be honest, but good enough for the gym. I have a Bose QC35 which is pretty awesome, so awesome that I wish I could use this with my Xbox One. Just invest in one or two pairs of good wireless headphones. You'll enjoy your life better.

Yea Yea Yea... I spend 6-10 hours a day sometimes on my headphones. Sure there are lots of decent wireless over ear units, I've gone through several, granted not super expensive ones typically in the $100-$300 range. I honestly just don't like over hear headphones when I'm at work they are just too bulky and heavy. Otherwise, I have not found one good pair of wireless earbuds that I haven't had to pull off and charge at least twice a day.

That said, I do have a pair of nice (wired) reference class Sennheisers that I use for at home listening, so I understand the value and difference of a well built set of head phones. But I've generally found even the expensive wireless ones have battery issues, it doesn't matter how good the drivers are.

I completely agree. This was a stupid move on googles part, seems like a grab to get you to buy bluetooth headphones, which cannot be used while flying. Good luck watching those 3 movies on your phone while flying with your wired headphone adapter before you run out of battery life...

I ordered a set of AIAIAI bluetooth headphones as I find headphone cords annoying, although they do seem like a necessary evil I guess. I could deal with lack of a headphone jack, but I think not having the ability to charge while listening is going to be an issue.

Phone ships tomorrow!

Oh I think the blue tint isn't an issue at all. The burn in could be, none of these phones should have burn in at the one week mark.
Do you realize you have to go out of your way to even check for it? The way the nav bar works, you never see anything behind it and when the buttons are not there, it is black.

That said, if burn in seemed to be an issue it more more likely be with the clock and notifications on the always on screen, and I can find no trace of that at all.

This was a stupid move on googles part, seems like a grab to get you to buy bluetooth headphones, which cannot be used while flying

You can use them while flying. I have been using them for a couple years without a single problem. I love my Jaybirds and the charging adapter for them is smaller than the headphones themselves.

You can use them while flying. I have been using them for a couple years without a single problem. I love my Jaybirds and the charging adapter for them is smaller than the headphones themselves.
So WTH is airplane mode good for if your allowed to use wifi and bluetooth lol

Yes I do get your point. But you have to agree that a week-old phone that expensive shouldn't have burn-in.
Then send yours back. I am loving mine. Seems a lot of folks are intent on testing it down for some reason.

FYI, 78% charge left today. Full charge 4 hours ago. 50% bright work adaptive on, and used it in the car today for about 45 minutes of nav. Did not plug in our turn the screen off. Says I only got 26 hours left.

Yes I do get your point. But you have to agree that a week-old phone that expensive shouldn't have burn-in.
And it does not unless you go out of your way to show it. I don't think you can even show this on the phone during normal use.

I'm really curious what Google's custom SoC will allow developers to do with the camera. I have a feeling it's going to step up the AR capabilities quite a bit. But I wonder how it'll further improve photo processing. Using machine learning to increase image quality when using digital zoom would be amazing.

So WTH is airplane mode good for if your allowed to use wifi and bluetooth lol
Nowadays it is for used for take off and landings. Been years since I took a flight but they let us use our electronics with out limitations once we were in the air.

Last edited:
Back from a short trip and my normal (small) Pixel 2 showed up a day early.
I think it's wonderful. The screen color scheme is much more in-line with what I expected. Speakers sound a bit better, too. It's also incredibly light.
On the other side of the coin, it does feel like a ton of space is wasted. It's about 95% the same size as my Moto X Pure, but the screen is about 30% smaller. It feels almost like watching an ultra-widescreen movie on a 4x3 television at times. I probably won't notice after a few weeks, but it's an annoyance for now.

EDIT: Battery life seems borderline limitless. I'm at 96% and have been playing Bluetooth music and doing some random browsing all morning.

Last edited:
Nowadays it is for used for take off and landings. Been years since I took a flight but they let us use our electronics with out limitations once we were in the air.
last international flight I was on last month they said it had to remain on, but you could allow wifi.

What's the battery life like on the 5-inch Pixel 2? With its 2700mAh battery I assume its not good?

It seems good thus far. I'm at 74% right this instant and have been using it heavily all morning (5'ish hours). That includes playing MP3's and Spotify via Bluetooth, sending/receiving e-mails, browsing FB, reading the news etc.
I had the Pixel XL 2 for a whopping 24 hours and found it to be roughly the same, but this is pretty non-scientific.

It seems good thus far. I'm at 74% right this instant and have been using it heavily all morning (5'ish hours). That includes playing MP3's and Spotify via Bluetooth, sending/receiving e-mails, browsing FB, reading the news etc.
I had the Pixel XL 2 for a whopping 24 hours and found it to be roughly the same, but this is pretty non-scientific.

Smaller battery, but also smaller screen. That means lower power draw.

Larger phones typically have a little better battery life than their smaller-screen variants, but it's not a huge difference, around 10-15%.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/pixel-2-pixel-2-xl-battery-life,news-25994.html

Thank you for the responses.

2nd question:

I use these earbuds day-to-day (the "Smartphone Headset" version, NOT the Bluetooth one). They have a built-in mic that I use to take calls and for Hangouts. Can anyone tell me if the usb-c adapter dongle that the Pixels ship with actually support 3-pole earbuds (i.e. will the built-in mic work with the dongle)?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Last time I checked, my Pixel 2 stays at 100% even after 20 minutes of on-screen time. Not sure how that is possible.

Reminds me of when I was using a 10,000 mAh battery with my Note 3.

Dang I ordered mine of the 5th and it still hasn't shipped yet and your already on your second? Says today is the day but it's getting late.

Dang I ordered mine of the 5th and it still hasn't shipped yet and your already on your second? Says today is the day but it's getting late.

With my first one, I paid for next-day delivery. For the 2nd one I just did standard shipping on the 19th and it showed up yesterday afternoon. It wasn't supposed to show up until today. I can count the number of early deliveries I've ever gotten on one hand.
Worth noting, with my first phone (the XL 2), I didn't get a shipping notice until it was already in town and out for delivery. Both came from Carol Stream and I'm in CO.
My refund got processed super quickly, too. I think they re-applied the money to my credit card the instant the USPS picked it up.

It's hard to tell how serious many of the claims are vs. this is a flagship phone that costs a boatload of money and it should be flawless.
It's not like Apple and Samsung haven't had major press flare ups with their product launches. Some of the other OEMs get away with things because not enough people notice.

I'm still in the camp of people that are disappointed they cancelled the "middle" Pixel phone that was supposed to be mostly bezel-less like the XL2, but slightly smaller. IMO, they could have killed off the other two if they did that one right.

Back