Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

I noted the blue tint and muted colors long before people started to constantly talk about it on the internet. It's not something I whipped my phone out and starting looking for due to predisposition. I noticed them pretty much as soon as I started playing with the phone (within 15 minutes or so). The difference is that people's sensitivities tend to vary. For some the blue tint is the end all for the phone - and while it bugs me its not something that is an immediate game over for me. The muted colors is a preference. Some people likely unnatural colors with a lot of "pop" while others will prefer more muted colors that typically are the result of sRGB calibration like the Pixel 2.

I don't have the phone yet, I get mine Nov 16 in Canada (Panda XL)... so I guess I won't know until I receive my unit just how bad it is in person. Sucks that a lot of people are seeing this problem though. If it does indeed bother me, I don't have a problem sending it back.

Damn. JerryRigEverything just blasted the phone. He is very unforgiving of every phone he tests (iphone and apple products included) but he didn't have many good things to say about the Pixel 2. It will be interesting to see how well the phone holds up, especially since nobody in their right mind is going to be taking a razor blade to them or a lighter to the screen.

That guy's videos are pure garbage.

So I got the phone to full charge at 10:30a. Been using it, not constantly, but a couple calls, 2fa, a litte forum browsing.....still at 100% battery at 11:48a. Wow. And I have the Now Playing turned on and have been testing it.

Damn. JerryRigEverything just blasted the phone. He is very unforgiving of every phone he tests (iphone and apple products included) but he didn't have many good things to say about the Pixel 2. It will be interesting to see how well the phone holds up, especially since nobody in their right mind is going to be taking a razor blade to them or a lighter to the screen.

Everything about this review is great and on point. All the features of a iphone 7 and nothing else. Painted aluminum, plastic volume buttons.

Vote with your wallet.

That guy's videos are pure garbage.

They are good for what they are. He is unnecessarily harsh on phones but he has some good points of calling out some of the bullshit that companies try and pull. He did it with this phone with the "metal" back. He did the same thing to every Apple product to come out with a "sapphire" screen. I appreciate the scratch testing but everything else I think is a little overdone. I think Google has a bigger problem with the screen tinting than anything he brings up in his video.

well that should help the iphone sales, they took a few steps backwards with that one

Yesterday was my first full day of use. Took the phone off the charger at 6:30 AM and used it pretty extensively throughout the entire day. I plugged the charger back in at 12:00 AM and was down to only 32% which is insane. My iPhone 7 Plus is usually in the last 5% at this time with the same amount of heavy usage. I regret not capturing the battery info page before plugging in.
Finally dropped to 99% at 12:02p.

Screen usage for 25 minutes. Got it set at 18% brightness which is fine for inside. If I turn on Adaptive Brightness, it is a bit too much for me.

I think I am going to give my wife my Pixel XL for the next week and see if she wants it instead of her S7. Make a call on the trade-in then.

Damn after watching the JerryRig video I'm really questioning my purchase. Bends easier than the 6p WTH. One of the issues I had with the 6P is that it bent in the same spot and I had to RMA it.

I can't disagree that it should have better hardware, but with phones the software is more important than having the "best" hardware. But still. Scratching the paint meh. The paint actually looked pretty thick in the video. Really just worried about bending now....

Bendgate though? I'll probably end up bending mine. I usually carry it in my front pocket in a case, and I don't wear skinny jeans but bump it into something and bam, bent phone!

Last edited:
The Pixel 2 XL is a god damned fast and beautiful phone!

HUOteSN.jpg

And, the blue tint? I notice it and it annoys me. I'm still leaning towards returning mine. If 2 XL owners returned their phones, en masse, you can be damned sure Google would do something about the screen, and do it fast. We deserve more for a $1000 investment.

But, it's a god damned fast and beautiful phone!

The Pixel 2 XL is a god damned fast and beautiful phone!

HUOteSN.jpg

And, the blue tint? I notice it and it annoys me. I'm still leaning towards returning mine. If 2 XL owners returned their phones, en masse, you can be damned sure Google would do something about the screen, and do it fast. We deserve more for a $1000 investment.

But, it's a god damned fast and beautiful phone!

I agree; I hope many do return the phone for it and Google acknowledges it somehow. I wouldn't care so much if the phone was reasonably priced to begin with, so I hope more people start voting with their wallet instead of blindly accepting whatever they're given. I know $850+ may not be much for a lot of people, but they need to start earning the price tag they're charging at some point. I don't believe this phone is any more flagship than my 6P was at its time and it started at $550 and is still chugging along great (esp after I replaced its battery due to the defect that hit many others).

The only way I see myself picking up this 2 XL is if there's some decent Black Friday deals on it somewhere, but I don't remember the previous Pixel ever getting discounted anywhere besides for refurbs, so I'm not counting on it.

I got my hands on one today and I'm very impressed. Our Verizon rep has been trying to get us to incorporate android in our work ecosystem (we are ios only right now) and this would be one of the phones we would go with. The blue tint didnt really bother me at all as its just a cool temp display. WAY better than a pink or yellow tint from a warm display in my opinion. I didn't try and bend it but it is really light. I wouldn't have an issue with it but I have seen employees who have bent their iphone 7 plus. I didn't mind the bezels at all and the coating on the back is really nice. I could use the phone without a case easily, which is more than I can say for the iphone 7 plus in my pocket right now. If I were to get an android phone for work, this would be top of my list. I want to see what the new V30 is like though.

There is no denying pixel phones provides the best android experience hands down. If you can deal with the blue tint then it's a no brainer. I'd not then either wait to see what comes next or grab a used pixel xl as ppl dump them for new flagship phones.

Always some minor shit, and hangup seems to plague these units.. its a weird market.
Each time I read an android phone review, there's always some nitpicking, its annoying to be honest (not that I would buy a pixel anyhow, too much $$)
I guess when there are so many models to compare, and go over, that is what happens.
Pixel 2 looks great.. but honestly, for me, If I am going to keep smartphones in my pocket for the rest of my life, I will look for units that blend in more practical things, than they do thinness, 'niceness' or 'fashioness' so to speak.
Yes I may die of old age waiting for that in any meaningful way, I realize.. the market is so disgustingly dependent on planned obsolescence, and disposability, sometimes it is disturbing.

I love the phone as well don't get me wrong. That's why I'm having such a hard time justifying if the issues (as I and some others see them) are worth returning it....
If Google offers some kind of "turn off the thing that makes it easier to see the screen while I'm wearing my Maui Jim Castaway's," I'll buy the 2XL again, immediately.

My mother stopped by today and she has the S8. Fuck it, the screen on the 2 XL isn't THAT much worse than the S8, and really beats it in speed. Not to mention stock Android can't be beat. Based on what I've seen in the HDR videos this screen will really come to life when Google will (likely) upload a more vivid color profile. Sticking with this phone.

My phone met an untimely demise this morning so I stopped by Verizon to look at the Pixel and the V30. The Pixel's audio quality is garbage....absolute trash. I didn't think the XL's screen was that bad but apparently I tilt the phone naturally because the top of the screen was blue while looking at it normally. Side by side with the 5" phone made it look even worse. I was willing to live with that until they let me plug an adapter into the phone and listen on my headphones. Not only was the adapter obnoxious but the sound was atrocious. Inexcusable negatives on such an expensive phone.

My phone met an untimely demise this morning so I stopped by Verizon to look at the Pixel and the V30. The Pixel's audio quality is garbage....absolute trash. I didn't think the XL's screen was that bad but apparently I tilt the phone naturally because the top of the screen was blue while looking at it normally. Side by side with the 5" phone made it look even worse. I was willing to live with that until they let me plug an adapter into the phone and listen on my headphones. Not only was the adapter obnoxious but the sound was atrocious. Inexcusable negatives on such an expensive phone.
That's odd, the audio quality is very good for me (when my dongle works). I'm no audiophile but I know there is an audiophile on YouTube that said it's one of the best he's heard outside of dedicated 32bit DACs such as the V30.

That's odd, the audio quality is very good for me (when my dongle works). I'm no audiophile but I know there is an audiophile on YouTube that said it's one of the best he's heard outside of dedicated 32bit DACs such as the V30.
I'd like to see that video because what I heard was terrible. It was having trouble driving my iems efficiently.

I should have mine by the end of next week. The Pixel is already the smoothest Android phone I've used, I can't imagine it being smoother still.
As someone coming from 3 years of constant iPhone use - the Pixel 2 feels just as fast and snappy as the iPhone which are renown for having some of the snappiest performance of any smartphone.

I'd like to see that video because what I heard was terrible. It was having trouble driving my iems efficiently.

If I can find the video I'll post it. It was part of a review and currently my YouTube history consists of about 30 review/impressions videos of the Pixel 2.

Of all the phones I've owned/used over the years, my OnePlus 5 and just returned Pixel 2 XL are the fastest and smoothest. My iPhone 7+ was very smooth, but definitely slower than the two Androids.

If I can find the video I'll post it. It was part of a review and currently my YouTube history consists of about 30 review/impressions videos of the Pixel 2.
I listened on the Pixel 2. I'm curious if being on the XL makes a difference at all because the Pixel struggled to drive them. Having a dongle half the size of the phone hanging off the bottom was retarded too. There's no way that solution continues moving forward....it's too impractical.

I went to the store to check out both phones. They had 3 of the pixel 2 and one pixel 2 XL on display.

Of course the pixel 2 XL was the only phone without power. I turned it on and it shut off immediately after it booted. I asked someone at the store if they could plug it into a security device that is actually working and they said no. (WHAT REALLY? They expect people to buy a $1000+ dollar phone without turning it on because they are lazy?)

The regular pixel screen look good and bright, but the 2XL while it was booting it looked pretty dark, dull and bad and I quickly moved it to see the shift. I didn't like the way it looked when shifted but I was much more turned off by the way the screen looked compared to the regular pixel XL in general.

I went to the next closest store and they didn't have any. The next closest after that that had them was 40 minutes of driving.

I gave up and went home. I guess I'll have to wait until it arrives next week, with a 50% chance I will be keeping my nexus 6p if the screen on my old 6p is better. It's not so much that the screen was terrible but it looked the worst of any phone in the store for the 10 seconds I saw it, and thats not acceptable for a $200 upgrade over the regular version. I might go back to the small screen, but then I feel like I'm still downgrading or compromising what I want. Maybe I'd be best off just getting last years version, at least it has a headphone jack which I do use almost daily.

I would rather look at a smaller but better pixel 2 screen, then a larger dull blue tinted XL screen though. Maybe I should just save myself $200 and compromise on screen size this time around.

Ok, so the pixel 2 XL demos are finally out in Canada and to be honest, I don't know what the fuss is all about regarding the blue tint. Maybe my note 5 tempered glass screen protector has a blue tint to it, but my note 5 has a blue shift almost right away that I didn't notice until I compared it to the pixel 2 XL in stores.

By comparison, the pixel 2 XL has barely any noticeable blue shift unless I actively look for it...

Non issue for me, thankfully.

Ok, so the pixel 2 XL demos are finally out in Canada and to be honest, I don't know what the fuss is all about regarding the blue tint. Maybe my note 5 tempered glass screen protector has a blue tint to it, but my note 5 has a blue shift almost right away that I didn't notice until I compared it to the pixel 2 XL in stores.

By comparison, the pixel 2 XL has barely any noticeable blue shift unless I actively look for it...

Non issue for me, thankfully.
You know people like to nit pick any possible issue when spending nearly $1000. They expect it to be perfect. A lot of the issue people bring up to me are none issue. I like most people would not even notice it if it wasn't for a few people fussing about it. Paying 1k for a phone itself is insane be it Android or iPhone. Even so called power users could get by doing most things on a 2 year old flagship. Upgrading to a Pixel 2 from my 6P would do nothing to improve my life. I will use my 6P with its broken screen to it dies completely. Which shouldn't be much longer since they don't make shit to last nowadays and impossible to repair. Seems also phones break a lot easier now then a few years ago. I got my S5 knocked out my shirt pocket and it fell almost 6 feet to a concrete floor face down and not a damn scratch. Dropped my 6P from like 3 feet on top hard wood floor and the bottom of the screen cracked.There really is nothing in the mobile phone world to get excited for anymore. Until I can run a full windows/Linux OS on a phone with support for normal x86 apps I don't give a fuck about any up coming phones.

Last edited:
Played with one at the VZN store, problem is my mint Nexus 6 has the same solid feel and performance with a custom ROM not worth the upgrade at that price.

The new phones are way too expensive considering I bought the Nexus 6 for 200 USD off this forum.

Honest opinions from Pixel XL to XL 2 users. Is it worth the jump? I use my XL for everything Netflix, YouTube, browsing, book reading, mp3 player, etc... I have no issue spending the cash on something I use so heavily. The larger storage capacity and front facing speakers are the major points for me. I miss this from the older HTC M8 and M9. I've order an XL 2 but it won't be here until end of Nov. 1st week of December. I plan on hitting a Verizon store tomorrow to play with one.

I just changed my order from the pixel 2 to pixel 2 xl. Coming from a pixel 1 xl. Just been watching some YouTube videos comparing the screens between the pixel 2 and 2 xl. There is a difference but then I watched a video that compared the 2 xl screen vs the 1 xl screen. Again there was a difference but then they turned on sRGB on the pixel 1 xl, the screens looked exactly the same. I've been using sRGB on my pixel 1 xl for about 5 months now and I love it. So to me the color difference is a non-issue. As far as the blue tint issue goes: I've watched about 5 YouTube videos showing this blue tint when looking at the pixel 2 xl screen at an angle. I can barely tell any difference and to me it's really being blown out of proportion. How often do you look at your phone from an angle? For me, besides looking at notifications when my phone's on the table - the phones directly infront of me. Ultimately I decided if I'm going to upgrade from the original pixel XL, I might as well go all in and get the 2 XL. I have big hands anyway and I'm not sure I'd like going back to a 1080p screen considering how heavily I use my phone, especially for viewing Excel files for work. Also it seems the pixel 2 (non-xl) has issues with a clicking noise being audible while on a phone call. Apparently it's the NFC feature trying to connect to a NFC credit card. I worry that this won't be fixable with a software update and may require RMA's. For me personally I need the phone to be flawless when making phone calls. I'd say on average I'm on phone calls for about 2 to 3 hours a day.

He claims that the Samsung panel in the Pixel 2 has no such problem, but I am running Lux on night mode (-5% average screen brightness) just to be safe. I am also trying to figure out how to force Immersive Mode at all times.

One other thing you can do to minimize burn-in is to loop a video of alternating, fading colors for a day or two to age the panel uniformly a bit.

He claims that the Samsung panel in the Pixel 2 has no such problem, but I am running Lux on night mode (-5% average screen brightness) just to be safe. I am also trying to figure out how to force Immersive Mode at all times.

One other thing you can do to minimize burn-in is to loop a video of alternating, fading colors for a day or two to age the panel uniformly a bit.

Google needs to implement an auto hide for the navigation bars ASAP just like Samsung and LG have implemented.

Google needs to implement an auto hide for the navigation bars ASAP just like Samsung and LG have implemented.

Yep.

question for you 2 XL users. Does your "always on display" sit in the same place the whole time?

Is the burn in truly an issue though. My XL has burn in in the same spots. It's a RMA unit 6 months old or so. I never noticed until the article showed how to test for it.

His screen
DMvRcm2WsAAyqp3.jpg

My phone
IMG952017102295120935.jpg

image000000_01.jpg

Back