Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

Thanks for the link Commander. The design and materials look quite nice, enjoy!

Last edited:
I have these two:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07586TJ79/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V5WCPR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The first one is pretty shallow, so I can't imagine it having much of a lip to protect the screen from direct drops. Overall the 2nd one seems much better, although it's also bulkier.

This one should be arriving any day: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RVL499/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I figure it's probably cheaper/wiser to just buy a whole bunch of $7-15 cases than to go for the $30-50 cases that may or may not be worthwhile. In my experience, most of the name brand cases are identical (or virtually identical) to the cheap ones, they just have a different logo.

I figure it's probably cheaper/wiser to just buy a whole bunch of $7-15 cases than to go for the $30-50 cases that may or may not be worthwhile. In my experience, most of the name brand cases are identical (or virtually identical) to the cheap ones, they just have a different logo.

I've always wondered why we all spend time trying to find a cheap case to protect our $1k investment in our phone.

I recently started buying AppleCare+ or the Google Device protection so I can use my phone naked or with a skin.

By the time I got done buying a dozen or so cases over the life of my phone the price difference is pretty minimal and I can enjoy the phone as designed rather than turning it into a brick by using a big case.

It's funny how I didn't even hear of Caseology before GravX's Note 8 case reviews, but I see their Pixel 2 XL version of the Vault is just as sleek as the Note 8's, possibly even moreso since they kept the back mostly brushed instead of diagonally striped and prone to denting and other wear (like what happened in my pocket the very first day I used it).

Mine is soft enough to apply/remove easily, yet sturdy enough that it doesn't feel cheap - and yet a fraction of the price of the OtterBox Commuter cases I'm used to. No port flaps like I used to want years ago, but I figure the usual IP67/68 rating on modern phones should let me get by without that added bit of protection.

As for using phones naked? Well, it depends on the phone. I personally can't stand the lack of grip on today's glass-and-metal phones, particularly with the metal bits being polished to smoothness instead of brushed like they used to. And the way I look at insurance plans like that, well, all the installments you've been paying every month would go towards covering the cost of a replacement device anyway, especially factoring in the typical $100-200 deductible. Better to just set aside the money yourself.

But more than that, it helps keep the phone itself from looking worn, which helps that much more with resale value when you're looking to pawn off the old to help fund the new and there's no good trade-in deals you can take advantage of.

I've always wondered why we all spend time trying to find a cheap case to protect our $1k investment in our phone.

I recently started buying AppleCare+ or the Google Device protection so I can use my phone naked or with a skin.

By the time I got done buying a dozen or so cases over the life of my phone the price difference is pretty minimal and I can enjoy the phone as designed rather than turning it into a brick by using a big case.

Personally, I just can't do that. The sides of 99.9% of phones aren't designed to be gripped when jogging or doing anything physical. They're simply supposed to look aesthetically pleasing. I jog with my phone nearly every day. At the very least I need something like a bumper that has textured gripping. A lip to protect from falls, too. I don't really feel like replacing my phone every few months even if it is covered by some kind of insurance.
Case-wise, I'm not looking to save money so much as I don't think paying $30-50 is any different than paying $7-15. They're the same case with different logos. There are always those monstrous Lifeproof style cases that make your phone the size of a laptop and cost $100. At that point, you're better off just going a different route IMO.

Main reason I use a case is to hold my phone more securely. Today's phones are incredibly slippery and easy to drop.

I see the case issue more as there doesn't seem to be much, if any, difference between $8 - $12 and $30 - $40 versions. The only exception is Otterbox and I'd never stuff my phone in one of those portable tombs.

Wait wut? I also don't like cases but it seems beyond disingenuous to imply that people go through a dozen cases over the lifetime of a phone. $169 of cases is a lot really.

Wait wut? I also don't like cases but it seems beyond disingenuous to imply that people go through a dozen cases over the lifetime of a phone. $169 of cases is a lot really.

Exactly...I went through 3 over the past year with my Pixel 1. So...$30 tops?

I went through cases like phones when I was switching all the time. If I had any one phone for more than a few months in t was a long time.

I've settled down recently and just buy an iPhone or Pixel now with a OnePlus phone thrown in when they release a new model.

It was pretty easy to flip phones a few years back but with the prices now and how good they are people are sticking with phones longer so even iPhones are losing value quicker than in the past.

With most of my phones, I've just had a single case for the life of the device. That's for the iPhone 3G, 4, and 5 as well as a Galaxy S5 Active.
With my Moto X Pure, I've gone through 3-4. That's because I haven't really been happy with any of the options. I've swapped a few times and eventually just modified one to work the way I wanted.
I've only broken/damaged one case (a hard shell for the Moto) to date.

With most of my phones, I've just had a single case for the life of the device. That's for the iPhone 3G, 4, and 5 as well as a Galaxy S5 Active.
With my Moto X Pure, I've gone through 3-4. That's because I haven't really been happy with any of the options. I've swapped a few times and eventually just modified one to work the way I wanted.
I'm very loyal to a good case. My absolute favorite is the Lander Powell, but they're strictly for iPhones and some Samsungs. I'm now firmly in the Google camp, so no case for my Pixel. :(

What case did you use for the iPhone 5?

Main reason I use a case is to hold my phone more securely. Today's phones are incredibly slippery and easy to drop.

I see the case issue more as there doesn't seem to be much, if any, difference between $8 - $12 and $30 - $40 versions. The only exception is Otterbox and I'd never stuff my phone in one of those portable tombs.
Tell me about it. Caseology uses a pretty good texture on theirs for grip's sake, and it actually just saved my Note 8's glass ass from tarmac when it slipped out of one of my pockets. Had a bit of a heartstopper there even knowing it landed on its back with the case on, but all is well, no cracks or anything. May your Pixel 2 be just as protected in yours.

If you think an OtterBox Commuter or Defender counts as a "portable tomb", though, those are nothing. I once had an Armor 1900 Series PDA Case, and that thing will most certainly qualify with how it's several inches thick and sealed for waterproofing's sake. Seriously, if you thought the iPAQ hx4700 was a gigantic device for its day (and it was; I owned one!), this case turns it into a plastic brick that you'd best get the holster with, because it will NOT fit in a pocket - not even my pants pockets! I never used it much for that exact reason, because the reviews didn't really point out just how huge it was.
https://the-gadgeteer.com/2005/03/08/otterbox_armor_1900_pda_case_review/

It might be funny to slip a modern smartphone into that same case just for the hell of it, but then there's no way to access the side buttons, making volume adjustments a pain and power button use all but impossible if you can't "knock on" the phone LG-style.

I picked up this cheap clear case on Amazon so I have something first day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0739N7GTB/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I just got it yesterday and I'm pleasantly surprised at how nice it feels for a cheap case. I was specifically looking for something clear to properly show off those HIDEOUS black and white colors. Woman will scream, men will stare, children will wonder.......:ROFLMAO:

Anyone order and/or find a glass screen protector yet?

All I can say is:

1) It's a picture, so what
2) He's taking a fucking picture of himself WHILE HE'S BEHIND THE WHEEL OF A CAR IN MOTION WHILE ON A ROAD WITH ONCOMING TRAFFIC

I wish I could hand out a Darwin Award for this one, what a fucking idiot, and I really mean that. o_O:mad:

The focus was intended to be on the quality of the image. However, Tiberian correctly pointed out the bad move on his part to take the photo while driving.

Last edited:
He's wearing in sunglasses. His eyes could be looking at the road. Judge not!

Ooops! :sick:
I noticed the reflection later, have edited my comment to include the driving safety issue.

Last edited:
He couldn't possibly have lined up such a "perfect shot" without staring at the screen to see he's framed in the shot correctly, and yes, it's obvious the reflection in his sunglasses shows the road in front of him, the steering wheel in his one available hand which he's holding on the cross-bar and not the outer edge, it's a two-lane road and it's very clear there's a car coming at him, his head is angled towards the camera and the front of the phone and not the road in front of him or the windshield. He's not on the shoulder, he's in a lane of moving traffic and you can even spot the speedometer needle in one of the reflections as well, it's at about the 11 o'clock position from the picture's point of view.

I mean really, do I need to whip out an "ENHANCE THAT!!!" meme image or something? :D

He couldn't possibly have lined up such a "perfect shot" without staring at the screen to see he's framed in the shot correctly, and yes, it's obvious the reflection in his sunglasses shows the road in front of him, the steering wheel in his one available hand which he's holding on the cross-bar and not the outer edge, it's a two-lane road and it's very clear there's a car coming at him, his head is angled towards the camera and the front of the phone and not the road in front of him or the windshield. He's not on the shoulder, he's in a lane of moving traffic and you can even spot the speedometer needle in one of the reflections as well, it's at about the 11 o'clock position from the picture's point of view.

I mean really, do I need to whip out an "ENHANCE THAT!!!" meme image or something? :D

Lol, yup, he denies driving too. But I replied to him.. He'll prolly delete it.

It's too bad that Mous haven't extended their Limitless line to the Pixel 2's. Those case are slim and protective.

Just got my new Pixel 2 XL case. All I need now is my phone. :)

lnbq5b1.jpg

As of today 10/14 theres a 20% off promotion look under the price theres a Buy 1 get 20% off hyperlink. Just snagged one for $8.79 cant beat that :)

I wasn't going to look at this phone. I've been happy with my Pixel XL. The $400 trade in plus forward facing speakers sold me lol. I've missed forward facing speakers since I ditched my M9 for an M10

ZIlPFCWl.jpg

Went to the Verizon store today to check out the 2 XL in person. Definitely a beautiful looking phone, snappy, and lighter than I expected. However, something I and quite a few other Redditors noticed - the max brightness on the 2 XL doesn't seem that...bright. My iPhone 7 Plus looked quite a bit brighter than it when both were at max manual brightness. This worries me a bit with how visible the screen will be in direct sunlight. Hopefully the adaptive brightness will have a higher max brightness when it detects sunlight.

Last edited:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V5WCPR/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075RVL499/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I now have these two in my possession and unless one of them fits really weird, I'll be pretty happy with either.

This one is VERY easily scratched and because of the plastic material the back is using, the scratches are unmistakably bright white. It's also very shallow, so I don't expect it to protect the screen at all.
I'd give it a thumbs down and wouldn't recommend it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07586TJ79/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I ate the $8 and just threw it away.

ZIlPFCWl.jpg

Went to the Verizon store today to check out the 2 XL in person. Definitely a beautiful looking phone, snappy, and lighter than I expected. However, something I and quite a few other Redditors noticed - the max brightness on the 2 XL doesn't seem that...bright. My iPhone 7 Plus looked quite a bit brighter than it when both were at max manual brightness. This worries me a bit with how visible the screen will be in direct sunlight. Hopefully the adaptive brightness will have a higher max brightness when it detects sunlight.

I just left the Verizon store and I was thinking the same thing. I was also comparing versus an Iphone 7 Plus. Sort of had mixed feeling about the XL. Wasn't exactly blown away by it. I'm not sure if I want one or not.

Looks like my credit card just got hit with a pending charge, too. I'm hoping for a Wednesday delivery, but I don't have much faith in that. I can count the number of early deliveries I've ever received on two fingers.

Back