Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

I got my 6P used off of Swappa and Google had no issues RMA'ing for a busted speaker still. So I'm not too worried about it and I'd rather go to my carrier than Google anyways out of sheer convenience.

I had a problem with my Nexus 5X and Google took care of it right away, no questions asked. They sent me a replacement within 2 days, and then I mailed them back my bad phone. I don't know how a carrier could be more convenient (unless you have a carrier store right around the corner with refurb stock of hard to get phones).

Do people really use the Google bar that much that you need it on the home screen? I don't and also like Nova to get rid of it. Hopefully you can just turn it off.

I'd use it a lot more if it actually tied into Chrome better. It might be powered by Chrome, but the browser doesn't treat it like a normal tab or search within the browser. Ditto with using the Google Now news stories. Maybe things are different with the Nexus/Pixel line, but it's an annoyance on my Moto X.

I'll be pre-ordering the new XL as soon as I am able. The first XL has been literally the best phone I've ever used. The trimmed down bezels, front facing stereo speakers and waterproofing will be all welcome additions.

I'm actually looking forward to several of the new announcements tomorrow. Lately I've been more and more invested in the google ecosystem and I've been big on home automation lately. I have my google home in my living room which controls my phillips hue lighting throughout my house, which is also linked to my android Sony TV, which is also linked to my Harmony elite remote, which is also linked to my Nest Thermostat, which is also linked to 3 Nest IQ cameras throughout the house, which is also linked to my August Pro video doorbell and lock, which is also linked to my Abode smart security system. :D The GF thinks I'm a bit obsessed with tech toys and maybe I am a little bit.

Anyway, the google home mini should be a nice cheap and easy way to put more google homes in each room of my house. Great way to voice control all the lighting in the rooms as well as control the thermostat and even act as an intercom system in the house.

The Google Max (larger true stereo Google home which is rumored) might be a nice way to upgrade the main google home in the living room. My GF LOVES the google home and uses it all the time to play music. Anyway, I'll be tuning in tomorrow for all the announcements.

android-authority-google-home-mini-google-pixel-2-840x678.jpg

I have to admit that the XL looks pretty good in this photo. Maybe I will just buy both and decide later which to keep.

I'm going with the XL unless they reveal something unexpected tomorrow. I hate the large bezels on the normal model. For a 2017 phone, it's like going back to the iPhone 5 era.
I absolutely hate that price, but over the course of 3 years (which I plan to keep the device) I'll regret skimping on it if I go another route. Hopefully their trade-in program will stay active and/or resell values stay strong.

Welp, we're only a few hours away. Hopefully these don't have any weird caveats beyond the sky-high price.

From what I've been told. Phones sold straight from Google doesn't have VoLTE working for my carrier in Canada, it must be purchased from the specific carrier be it contract or outright. Which is pretty lame.

Welp, we're only a few hours away. Hopefully these don't have any weird caveats beyond the sky-high price.
Judging by the amount of whining on this forum for a while, I'm guessing that people here will be disappointed by somethings... and then overblow their disappointment. No dual camera? No wireless charging? SD Card? And where's the removable battery?!?

Judging by the amount of whining on this forum for a while, I'm guessing that people here will be disappointed by somethings... and then overblow their disappointment. No dual camera? No wireless charging? SD Card? And where's the removable battery?!?

Only thing I care about is what carriers will be carrying it.

EDIT: Looks like Verizon only carrier again. YAY! -.-

Last edited:
I plan to just order it from Google if that's an option. I want a Black XL and that case that the recent renders have shown.

Preordered the Pixel 2 XL 128GB Just Black... Not sure if I'll keep the preorder but just in case. Delivers Oct 18-19.

Last edited:
Preordered the Pixel 2 XL 128GB just black... Not sure if I'll keep the preorder but just in case. Delivers Oct 18-19.

I did the same. Not seeing the case that the leaks showed. So far I'm not really a fan of any of the cases they have available either. Will probably drop into a Verizon store on the 19th and see what they have.

I tried to pre order the XL, shows 7 weeks out. Nowhere near the Oct. 19th you guys are saying.

And the 128GB already out of stock.

I think they might have sold out of some varieties. When I was initially putting in my pre-order, the presentation wasn't even over yet and the "Buy" button kept going from active to dead. Probably as people were adding/dumping them from their carts.

I was mainly interested in the price drop on 1st gens. Looks like they're going the Apple route of continuing to sell last year's models at only $100 off. Bleh.

I tried to pre order the XL, shows 7 weeks out. Nowhere near the Oct. 19th you guys are saying.

And the 128GB already out of stock.
The one I ordered still looks to be in stock for Oct 17 shipping.

Really like the panda white color option, but it's 7 weeks out. Think I'll wait before preordering now, maybe someone else will have in stock sooner ?

Seems that Google really does not care how many they sell as they are already backordered essentially.

Wonder if it is flippers or people that actually want to use one.

Wish the 5" would have come with smaller bezels as I'm kind of tired of a large phone.

If it's anything like the Galaxy S7/S8 always-on display there's a setting to turn it completely off, though I imagine the amount of battery use from the always-on display to be very minimal.

Ordered a 2 XL for myself and a 2 for my wife, also signed up for Fi while I was at it. Both say estimated delivery 19th-20th.

I pre-ordered a black and white XL 64 gb phone. I have barely used 35 gigs on my first gen XL so there's no need for me to get the 128gb model. I stream all my music and store all my photos and videos to google photos.

Also who knows if Google bought that incredible DXO mark but 98? Hot damn.

Oh, and I'll be getting a Google Home Max when those release in December. Mostly for the missus who listens to music all day long using the current google home. It'll be a nice upgrade for her.

That was quick...

https://www.dxomark.com/google-pixel-2-reviewed-sets-new-record-smartphone-camera-quality/

Conclusion: Smartphone camera on a new level
We’re in danger of running out of superlatives when describing the major image quality attributes of the Google Pixel 2. That makes sense for a device that tops our scoring charts —up from the 94 of the Apple iPhone 8 Plus and Samsung Galaxy Note 8 to a record-setting 98. So for just about any Photo or Video use case it recommends itself as the phone camera with the best image quality. A notable exception to that assessment centers around the added performance in Zoom and Bokeh (including Depth and Portrait) that dual-camera smartphones such as the Apple iPhone 8 Plus and Galaxy Note 8 can provide. This said, the Pixel 2 is especially well-suited to videographers, as it achieves the highest Video score for any device we’ve tested — a 96.

Looks like Google's case selection options have gotten a little more robust in the last hour, but they aren't shipping anything until the week of the 23rd. They're also extremely expensive at $40-50 each. I ended up just buying 3 different cases off Amazon for $7 each.

I just ordered the XL 2. Traded in my Pixel 1 (non XL) for $350 also...didn't seem like that bad of a deal as the going price on Fleabay was about $300.

I mean... I get it. It is a new phone with a great camera score but I guess I am just underwhelmed by phones these days. Partially the whole "everything is awesome and no one cares" kind of issue but also because I just don't see much improvement other than small iterations here and there. Then there is the price. So I am (in my eyes) getting a MARGINALLY better phone for a higher price? What happened to prices? My 64 GB Nexus 6P was $549! The 64 GB Pixel XL2 is $849. Have phones really become $300 better?

I personally don't think so.

Any 6p owners feeling pretty "meh" about this?

I'm currently tied to project fi, dont really see value in going with a iphone + vzw or something like that.

These all feel like sidegrades to me. I dont have a burning desire to pick one up.

I mean... I get it. It is a new phone with a great camera score but I guess I am just underwhelmed by phones these days. Partially the whole "everything is awesome and no one cares" kind of issue but also because I just don't see much improvement other than small iterations here and there. Then there is the price. So I am (in my eyes) getting a MARGINALLY better phone for a higher price? What happened to prices? My 64 GB Nexus 6P was $549! The 64 GB Pixel XL2 is $849. Have phones really become $300 better?

I personally don't think so.
Phones will continue to sell for whatever price people are willing to pay for them. No one to blame here but the consumers for continually paying these prices when plenty of good, cheaper alternatives are available. These phones sold out within 30 minutes for launch day delivery. People are willing to pay the asking price.

Wowsers. 98 on DxO. Utter domination. But it seems to be the regular Pixel 2 and not the XL.

I caved and bought the Pixel 2 64GB Just Black version. Trading in my Pixel XL 128GB for it. Decided I wanted a smaller phone this time. For the time I have had my XL I always felt it was a little too big for me, and I have large hands too.

Without the $410 trade in credit - I wouldn't have upgraded. 2 front firing speakers and IP67 water-proofing was a major selling point for me.

Edit: Last minute change to the Pixel XL 2. Decided the price difference was worth the increased resolution and screen space.

Last edited:
I got the black 64gb XL, also says October 17th.

Personally I am willing to pay almost whatever for stock android and current technology. I had an s8 earlier this year and Bixby/Samsung Apps/Tmobile apps made it feel a waste of money

Phones will continue to sell for whatever price people are willing to pay for them. No one to blame here but the consumers for continually paying these prices when plenty of good, cheaper alternatives are available. These phones sold out within 30 minutes for launch day delivery. People are willing to pay the asking price.

Well the counter argument to that is that Google basically NEVER has enough phones ready for launch day OR in production after. See: Nexus 5, 6P, Pixel and now I assume Pixel 2 will be the same.

Well the counter argument to that is that Google basically NEVER has enough phones ready for launch day OR in production after. See: Nexus 5, 6P, Pixel and now I assume Pixel 2 will be the same.

If you want a Google phone, you preorder today. You'll get it within 3-4 weeks. After that...you won't see them FS again for 6 months.

I plan to keep this device for the life of the software update program (3 years) and thanks to Google's trade-in option there's always the option to trade it in if there's some kind of sea change in technology.
It's incredibly expensive, but I'm believer in vanilla Android offering borderline night & day performance differences compared to Samsung and the like. I also like that it comes with unlimited full-size photo storage.
It isn't perfect, but it's tough for me to imagine a better device without some zany new technology coming out.

Back