Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

I wish they brought back the "Play Edition" of phones that ran stock Android on the flagships of various brands and received updates directly from Google.

Most definitely. Samsung made one. I'd love to have a Galaxy S8 Active Play Edition.

Best thing about Google phones:

sGx0CEs.png

How can anyone buy any LG product this point? Im not even saying buy a Samsung either. LG has been nothing but failures and boot loop on the G4/G5/V10/V20 that I'd never risk it.

The V20 has bootlooped? LG extended the G6's warranty to 2 years, so I would hope they're confident in fixing the bootloop issues now. But otherwise I agree and wouldn't really consider LG for another year or so. But I don't really care for their UI or software support either.

Not as much but the V20 does have bootloop issues.

The g5 and the v20 get boot loops no more then and iPhone or Samsung.. it's about the same as saying my car turns over but won't start.. happens to every brand..

The g4 had a design flaw.. the v10 is a g4 with a bigger screen so it inherited the same issue..

I have owned every lg since the g3 as well as most Samsung's and iPhones. The hardware on all 3 is quite reliable in the new phones.. software however..

Am considering the purchase of the Pixel 2 XL. I have a concern with the latest information saying LG may be making one of the Pixel 2 phones. If that ends up being true, how would you all feel about that? Would you not be concerned, avoid it for one year or altogether, or wait to see if a boot loop issue does or does not crop up before purchasing an LG made Pixel 2?

Last edited:
Am considering the purchase of the Pixel 2 XL. I have a concern with the latest information saying LG may be making one of the Pixel 2 phones. If that ends up being true, how would you all feel about that? Would you not be concerned, avoid it for one year or altogether, or wait to see if a boot loop issue does or does not crop up before purchasing an LG made Pixel 2?

No major manufacturer has a spotless record.. That said I would honestly take lg above HTC or moto without a second of hesitation..

I can't really speak for any of the newer model of LG phones, but back when I had it, my LG G2 was the best phone experience I had had up to that point. No complaints with that phone. That doesn't say much for the current LG situation, but like bastage said, no manufacturer has a spotless track record.

I am waiting for the first xls to get cheap. I like my s7 edge but I am tired of the Samsung bloat and skin. I want pure android.

it would be a great phone if it had a headphone jack. Im still on nexus 6p, and the only thing lacking is wifi calling which the nexus 6p supports (but Verizon does not for this phone). And well since I only have wifi at work and no signal, this is a somewhat important feature since where I spend the majority of my awake life, I am not able to take calls on my phone.

Consider buying a MicroCell. It's like a wireless router for your phone. They work pretty well, your Verizon store will know more.

it would be a great phone if it had a headphone jack. Im still on nexus 6p, and the only thing lacking is wifi calling which the nexus 6p supports (but Verizon does not for this phone). And well since I only have wifi at work and no signal, this is a somewhat important feature since where I spend the majority of my awake life, I am not able to take calls on my phone.
Google Voice is still a thing, go get a number from google.com/voice and install the "Hangouts Dialer - Call Phones" addition for hangouts app(horizontal tab). There was slight trick to it, you had to make one phone call, or maybe send your self a text from another phone or maybe just wait a little bit. Than when you go into hangouts apps settings you would see the number appear with options.

They recently updated Google Voice app after languishing for so long because they had pivoted to Hangouts, maybe try that first. As they are changing directions again with Hangouts in favor of Allo,... I use Hangouts as it works for now.

Check desktop website for Voice settings options.

No major manufacturer has a spotless record.. That said I would honestly take lg above HTC or moto without a second of hesitation..

My Nexus 5X shit the bed and my Pixel works perfectly fine. I've always had good luck with moto. So I'd be the other way around.

As long as you purchase it direct from Google and not someone like Verizon, I would have no concerns (assuming they do the one carrier thing with Veizon again like they did with the original Pixel).

Google is almost as good as Apple in replacing a defective phone if you purchase it direct through Google.

I'm to the point now where I buy an iPhone for those in my family that prefer iOS and Nexus/Pixel for those that prefer Android.

Only two that have consistent updates and actually provide hardware support with no hassles.

My last experience with Google was with a 6P that would charge but not turn on. Google shipped a replacement and then I put the defective 6P in the box and put on the prepaid label and shipped it back.

They take your CC info to make sure you ship back the old phone and once they have it they remove the hold.

Apple obviously you can just walk into any Apple store and walk out with a replacement (depending on the issue of course).

Might cost more than trying to finance something through your carrier but both have finance options now if that's what you need to get into a new phone.

Excitement. New leaks show that both models will have front facing speakers! Yeah! And the analog headphone jacks are removed.

I think I'm going to head into Best Buy and see how big the V30's are in my hand. Really torn about this. I want the larger model, but I don't want some monster phone.

Thanks to the bezels, I don't think the height of the variants have much difference.

Thanks to the bezels, I don't think the height of the variants have much difference.

The bezels are pretty much my main issue with the smaller one. It's bigger than it needs to be, but the screen is laughably small next to something like an S8 or even my Moto X. If I'm going to drop that much on a flagship device, I want it to keep up with the times.
The last time I got a chance to play with a Pixel XL, I felt it was pretty close to ideal, but ever so slightly too large. The 2's supposed to be about 15-20% larger. Hopefully the smaller bezels on that model alleviate that.

google-ultra-pixel-leak.jpg

Ultra Pixel?

Is this referring to the camera like HTC had back in the day or the name of the phone?

Personally, I have no desire for a phone that is overly reliant on gestures or needless other steps just to give me 1/8 inch of more screen space. I'm okay with squeezing being an optional shortcut, but I don't want to have to do performance art to use my phone.

I'm really glad they brought back stereo speakers, as it was one of the big reasons I didn't upgrade from my 6P to a Pixel (but the larger reasons were cost for the lack of hardware/features you were getting and lack of availability).

But the phone can be the best thing ever and get perfect reviews and still fail if they don't figure out their ridiculous supply issues they consistently have every year. I still can't even really consider it if they don't offer it though all (or at least my) carriers this year at least.

I just buy them direct from Google. The after care when you purchase directly from Google is worth it as they have replaced devices for me in the past with very little hassle.

If you buy from somewhere else (carrier, Amazon, NewEgg, etc) then Google pawns it off on the manufacturer or who you bought it from. Fair enough but the reason why I just buy direct if I do buy a Nexus/Pixel.

Price point may keep me away this year as the costs are getting out of hand with minimal improvements over the previous generation in day-to-day use.

Hopefully Google's store has a decent supply. Last year the Pixel XL with max capacity disappeared from their store and didn't show back up for 6 months.

I just buy them direct from Google. The after care when you purchase directly from Google is worth it as they have replaced devices for me in the past with very little hassle.

If you buy from somewhere else (carrier, Amazon, NewEgg, etc) then Google pawns it off on the manufacturer or who you bought it from. Fair enough but the reason why I just buy direct if I do buy a Nexus/Pixel.

Price point may keep me away this year as the costs are getting out of hand with minimal improvements over the previous generation in day-to-day use.

I got my 6P used off of Swappa and Google had no issues RMA'ing for a busted speaker still. So I'm not too worried about it and I'd rather go to my carrier than Google anyways out of sheer convenience.

I really like that case they're showing with it. Minimalistic and classy, but with a lip to protect the screen and corners from most drops.

The new widget at the top could be really cool as long as it's customizable. I like having time/weather up there like the HTC phones have, but not quite as rigid.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/10/02/these-are-the-google-pixel-2-and-pixel-2-xl/
VentureBeat said:
Otherwise, the two phones are quite similar, at least on paper: 4GB of RAM, either 64GB or 128GB of storage, and 12-megapixel primary rear cameras, along with front-firing stereo speakers. According to Droid Life, they’ll be priced at $649/$749 (Pixel 2) and $849/$949 (Pixel 2 XL), depending on capacity. And according to a person familiar with Google’s release plans, they’ll see a staggered rollout: October 19 for Pixel 2 and November 15 for Pixel 2 XL, both preceded by preorder periods.

EDIT: Looks like they updated the web page....

Price and release date = (n)

Looks like its a single camera as well. That and the removal of a headphone jack, and lack of expandable memory = no thanks for me at those prices. Not sure if it will even support wireless charging. Hopefully Google has something up its sleeve to draw me back in...guess we'll find out in a couple of days.

Last edited:
Looks like a next gen Nexus 6P, which is cool with me.

I'm back on my 6P, after owning both the iPhone 7 Plus and Galaxy S8+. Call me crazy but I prefer my Nexus 6P over both those.

DLKExW1XcAE8Z_5.jpg

Those rounded screen corners on the XL are disgusting. I'll be getting the regular one, which looks perfect.

Looks like a next gen Nexus 6P, which is cool with me.

I'm back on my 6P, after owning both the iPhone 7 Plus and Galaxy S8+. Call me crazy but I prefer my Nexus 6P over both those.
You ARE crazy! But, the Smartphone thread wouldn't be the same without you here to stir up shit!! :p:D:cool:

I'm all over the XL. It will be mine... if I can convince work to buy it for me instead of a Note 8.

Last edited:
I wish the normal one had the tiny bezels from the XL. So much wasted space for a phone launching so close to 2018. Will probably just suck it up and get the larger one. Hopefully it doesn't feel like I'm carrying a Kindle in my pocket.

DLKExW1XcAE8Z_5.jpg

Those rounded screen corners on the XL are disgusting. I'll be getting the regular one, which looks perfect.
I said that I don't mind bezels but in case of vanilla Pixel... That's just WAY too much bezel. Just too much wasted space. It would have maybe be more forgiving if it had larger battery but nope - it's incredibly small for a device at that size.

Not digging the rounded corners in XL's display either.

Will have to see how I adjust to the Google Search Bar being placed between the dock and close to the soft menu keys.
Aside from it being moved from the top to bottom of the screen I'm not keen on having to watch out that my fingers don't tap the search bar instead of a menu key.

More likely it won't matter and I'll remain with Nova Launcher. I rely on it to tweak the size, labeling, placement, and amount of icons on my screen.

Last edited:
Do people really use the Google bar that much that you need it on the home screen? I don't and also like Nova to get rid of it. Hopefully you can just turn it off.

Screenshot_20171002-170311.png

Actually I like to have the search bar within immediate access because I have need to access it frequently. Obviously it's a personal preference for which Nova offers the option to enable or disable from displaying. My home screen is spartan with an all black background that is easy on my eyes and supposedly will enhance battery duration. Then I tweaked the search bar with a coloration and hue that for me appears pleasant and blends well.

Last edited:
I have said this for years, and still seems somewhat possible LOL

That the Nexus / Pixel team, is just a bunch of nerds in the Google HQ's basement, that the bosses give them a hundred million bucks to play with, allowing them to create their stock Android toy per the management bosses.

That at the end of the day, Google themselves, meaning the big wigs in charge, give two fuks about making their own phones and selling them to the public, that's not even on their radar to think about. But to the few Google engineer nerds working in the basement, it means the world to them, it's their life's work, everything.

But the Google boss says "Meh whatever, let's make a couple million or so phones over the course of 12 months, but not more than that, and if we run out of stock of Pixel 2's, no big deal, just tell the customer to go buy a HTC U11 or LG V30 or something instead. "

The Nexus line, now Pixel, is just a small pet project within Google, and they are never serious about going the Apple iPhone or Samsung Galaxy route with their stock Google phones, they do not want to be a [H]ardcore smartphone manufacturer like them.

I think the Pixel line last year, made up, what, maybe 0.05% of smartphone sales ? I think they sold around 1.5 million Pixel phones in 12 months, maybe 2 million or so. Whereas as Apple sold well over 150 million iPhone's in one year, and Samsung close to Apple too.

Google is just trolling us nerds fooling us into thinking they really give a damn about their Pixel phones, sure they care to a point, but more for brand recognition, and status, and to show the other Android manufactures how they envision stock Android should be.

Back