Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

Johnny78

[H]ard|Gawd
Figure I'd start a thread on this bad boy. Of all the beasts coming out this fall ie Iphone 8 and Note 8 NEE (non exploding edition), the phone I'm actually most excited for is the next Pixel. Theses are supposedly the final renders

http://bgr.com/2017/07/26/pixel-2-release-date-soon-final-design-leaks-photos/

I've been using a Pixel XL for 10 months now and it is by far the best phone experience I've ever had. It's the phone I recommend to people who just want a phone that works and does EVERYTHING well. Well everything except maybe look sexy. :) But the next phone looks to remedy even that.

Anyone else looking forward to it?

Zorachus? Don't make the same mistake you made last time and wait too long to try and find an XL version. LOL.

Interesting to note that from the final renders, it looks like it might have dual front speakers. That would be a very welcome edition. Keep your fingers crossed.

Unless there is some weird quirk with them, I'm in.
Not sure which model I want, though. The XL looks slightly larger than I'd like, but I'm afraid they might gimp the smaller model. I really need either 128GB of storage or the option for a memory card.
Can't say I really care that much about stereo speakers, but it's nothing to complain about either. The only time I seriously care about audio I'm either using bluetooth or headphones.

I love my Pixel XL so much right now, I can't even imagine trading it in for a newer model heh.

Looks like the proper successor to the 6P now with its stereo speakers. That was one of the reasons I held onto my 6P over the Pixel. Well that and the Pixels were nearly impossible to buy anywhere for the first 8 months they were out. I really hope Google unfucks their supply issues this go around though and offers it through all carriers if they want to compete properly with everyone else. The Verizon exclusivity was dumb, but I'm guessing they knew they wouldn't have enough supply for other carriers so they just went with Verizon since they're the largest carrier.

It's funny they were bragging on their headphone jack last year and dropped it this year though.

As one still endeared to the sound quality of my Moto X Pure Edition stereo speakers I welcome the prospect of seeing stereo speakers fitted in the forthcoming Pixel XL 2. Add to that, the stock Android factor, a purported large screen size that matches up to my tastes, and Quad HD on an AMOLED screen has attracted my interest. Hopefully the battery size will be a substantial one.

Last edited:
What are people hoping the Pixel 2s do that the Pixels do not?

• Be available to purchase for the first several months after launch and through all carriers.
  • Have comparable hardware design and features to other flagships in its price range; water resistance, wireless charging, headphone jack (though already pretty much confirmed to be MIA), smaller bezels, etc.
  • Cost less than an iPhone (not happening).
  • Have much better speaker(s).

• Water-resistance (IP68)
  • Even better camera
  • Slimmer bezels
  • Better Speakers
I've got a Nexus 6P at the moment, if the Pixel 2 offers most of these things I'm upgrading.

Water/dust resistance and a smaller bezel. The bezel on the smaller Pixel makes it feel like a phone from 2-3 years ago rather than a flagship device.
Plus at this point it will have a longer life of continued updates.
I'm not expecting miracles, but without some deep discounts to the current model it's a bit pointless to buy the Pixel 1 right now. Might as well wait for the 2's. Hell, maybe the 1's will come down in price if this version isn't that big of an upgrade.
Plus, in my case the Pixel 1's timing didn't line up with my upgrade schedule.

This information was published shortly after the Pixel and Pixel XL were announced.
"Pixel phones get Android version updates for at least 2 years from when the device became available on the Google Store. After 2 years, we can't guarantee additional updates"

Does this by any chance affect your enthusiasm?

aaa.png

Last edited:
  • Water-resistance (IP68)
  • Even better camera
  • Slimmer bezels
  • Better Speakers
I've got a Nexus 6P at the moment, if the Pixel 2 offers most of these things I'm upgrading.
Yep, I agree with what you have here as "wants," but quite frankly the Pixel XL is the best phone I have used, no complaints....besides Google bricking it for a week.

I am following this closely. I have been a long time Galaxy Note user that got screwed last year and bought a Pixel XL 128gb to replace my Note 7...

I mostly like the software and really like getting timely security updates. Hardware wise, this was a huge step back from my Note 7 and I still feel that way. The camera is arguably better though...

This is the first year that I may not be upgrading since my Note 2 in 2012... I can't bring myself to buy another Samsung phone for the time being and I use my headphone jack daily with my very expensive Shure SE535 IEMs. Using some silly USB C adapter is not an option I really feel like I would be happy with. Bluetooth has been so fucked on this phone and Bluetooth headphones and their associated high quality codecs are still not sorted enough that it makes sense to drop $100s on something worse than my current headphones...

We'll see what things look like when this phone is official. I may change my mind and deal with the deprication of the headphone jack at that time but... Yeah, I'd really miss the headphone jack...

This information was published shortly after the Pixel and Pixel XL were announced.
"Pixel phones get Android version updates for at least 2 years from when the device became available on the Google Store. After 2 years, we can't guarantee additional updates"

View attachment 31612

Honestly, I don't have a problem with this. First, most of us are upgrading our phones every 2 years anyway, so it would be moot in that case. Secondly, most of this revolves around the way our culture has adapted to mobile technology, mainly the fact that we upgrade so much. For companies to keep up they have to keep putting out new devices and then those devices require support, so having to continuously support older hardware becomes a real strain on your operation. I believe Google is just being open and honest about their practice, I doubt they will stop providing support altogether, but you may not see major version upgrades or enhancements for older hardware. They may just provide security patches and typical troubleshooting support at best effort.

Hopefully Google will sell it at all major carriers' stores instead of just Verizon's. That way everyone could take advantage of carrier financing.

Despite my disdain for rear sensors, I'll most likely be jumping on the Pixel train with a 2 XL.

View attachment 31612

I'd actually see that as a rather positive thing, since it guarentees the phones will have updates for 2 years, with security up to 3. At least this makes phone purchase planning simpler by removing a few unknowns.

Most phone manufacturers don't even tell you when or if their phones will continue to be supported. At least Apple will say that a certain update is the EoL update for certain models whenether a major update rolls around, my previous phone (Padfone S) was told that upgrading to higher andriods were not possible (from 6.0.1 to 7) due to higher version supporting only 64bit SoC's, while the phone (SD801) was 32bit.

Is it confirmed that it has stereo front-facing speakers? I've seen supposedly leaked renders that don't have them.

Having been burned by Motorola promising "faster updates" for my Moto X, I think the guarantee of timely updates for 2 years is a pretty big deal. I'm typically on a 2-year upgrade cycle so anything more than that is cake.

Please, designers, remove that lousy curved edge on the glass. It makes it nearly impossible to perfectly align a glass screen protector so it doesn't have edge bubbles. I've applied 5 of them from different manufacturers and every one has edges that raise up.

Otherwise, the Pixel XL has been the best phone I've ever used. I see no reason to get rid of it any time soon. A better camera and water proofing would be nice though.

Please, designers, remove that lousy curved edge on the glass. It makes it nearly impossible to perfectly align a glass screen protector so it doesn't have edge bubbles. I've applied 5 of them from different manufacturers and every one has edges that raise up.

Otherwise, the Pixel XL has been the best phone I've ever used. I see no reason to get rid of it any time soon. A better camera and water proofing would be nice though.

I have found you can usually get a case that will fold over the top and find a screen protector that will fit just inside the glass so that the combination of the protector and the case keeps everything in place. Of course this then eliminates the point of the curved edge, but I haven't found much use for that anyway.

Hmm. What glass screen protector are you using? I've put a couple of these on my phone (replaced the first after a bad drop where it got cracked) and I've used it on my sister's pixel as well. No issue whatsoever with bubbles.

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Prote...1525846&sr=8-1&keywords=spigen+glass+pixel+xl

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
My nexus 6p is still going great and after using it for this long I would personally say that any phone I would consider must have stereo speakers.

I dunno if anything about this is compelling for me to upgrade though. . .I feel as if new phones are incremental improvements rather than anything that would truly excite me like whole screen fingerprint sensor or something incredible.

Hmm. What glass screen protector are you using? I've put a couple of these on my phone (replaced the first after a bad drop where it got cracked) and I've used it on my sister's pixel as well. No issue whatsoever with bubbles.

https://www.amazon.com/Spigen-Prote...1525846&sr=8-1&keywords=spigen+glass+pixel+xl

I don't believe I've tried those. These were from my order list.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Pixel...eywords=pixel+xl+glass+screen+protector&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Protector-BI...=8-4&keywords=pixel+xl+glass+screen+protector
https://www.amazon.com/XL-Protector...=8-5&keywords=pixel+xl+glass+screen+protector
https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Su...8-10&keywords=pixel+xl+glass+screen+protector

Now, my wife's XL is still using the first one I put on hers when I bought the 2 pack of the Omoton protectors. And hers does not have this issue. Maybe it's a defect with my phone where the rounded edge is misshapen or something.

It's hard to get a good picture of it, but you can see along the edges and around the ear speaker where it's just not sticking.

P1010113.JPG

I don't believe I've tried those. These were from my order list.

https://www.amazon.com/Google-Pixel...eywords=pixel+xl+glass+screen+protector&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Protector-BI...=8-4&keywords=pixel+xl+glass+screen+protector
https://www.amazon.com/XL-Protector...=8-5&keywords=pixel+xl+glass+screen+protector
https://www.amazon.com/Protector-Su...8-10&keywords=pixel+xl+glass+screen+protector

Now, my wife's XL is still using the first one I put on hers when I bought the 2 pack of the Omoton protectors. And hers does not have this issue. Maybe it's a defect with my phone where the rounded edge is misshapen or something.

It's hard to get a good picture of it, but you can see along the edges and around the ear speaker where it's just not sticking.

View attachment 32011

Before I got my current screen protector I had once like yours and I had the same issue. Not sure the exact reason per se but I don't know if it's necessarily the fault of the curved screen. I think it may have to do with the fact that the glass leaves a large gap around some of the edges and your finger inadvertently will rub against the edges quite a bit just through normal use. I think that natural fiction starts to lift the glass after time. With the glass screen protector Kyle and I use, the glass covers the entire front of the phone. There's no finger pressing against the edges. It also looks a lot better than the other kind since it doesn't even look like you have a protector on it. I won't go back to the other kind if I can help it.
Give it a try.

Before I got my current screen protector I had once like yours and I had the same issue. Not sure the exact reason per se but I don't know if it's necessarily the fault of the curved screen. I think it may have to do with the fact that the glass leaves a large gap around some of the edges and your finger inadvertently will rub against the edges quite a bit just through normal use. I think that natural fiction starts to lift the glass after time. With the glass screen protector Kyle and I use, the glass covers the entire front of the phone. There's no finger pressing against the edges. It also looks a lot better than the other kind since it doesn't even look like you have a protector on it. I won't go back to the other kind if I can help it.
Give it a try.

I'll give one a shot. The edges of the protectors I've tried never sealed around the edges from day one. No rubber or lifting required, they never laid flat.

I heard the pixel XL is a great phone, other than all of it's bluetooth issues. you guys have any bluetooth issues?

The next gen's lack of headphone jack is another kick in the ass for me.

Bluetooth and headphone jack are things I use daily, on my way to work, and then once I get there. I don't want a shitty adapter like the iphone uses I'll never carry that crap around with me.

Last edited:
I've got a Galaxy S8+ right now and I'm honestly lusting for a more stock/natural Android experience. I might have to trade up my S8+ once the Pixel XL 2 comes out.

I really don't know what to think based upon what many of the leaks are now saying. It sounds like the normal Pixel 2 might just be a waterproof clone of the Pixel 1 with no headphone jack. Big bezels and all.
The larger model sounds far closer to what I'd like, but it also borders on being slightly too large. Bah. I want the vanilla Android experience, but I don't want to settle on the hardware end to do so.

Is it a bad time to Buy a pixel XL then? I'm happy with my Nexus 6P (just got a replacement a few months ago from google). But I want wifi calling and I can get than if I upgrade to a pixel XL. Yes the 6P has wifi calling but my carrier does not support it. I need wifi calling because I do not get reception at work, and can only get calls though wifi (only I can't because verizon has not enabled it).

Is it a bad time to Buy a pixel XL then? I'm happy with my Nexus 6P (just got a replacement a few months ago from google). But I want wifi calling and I can get than if I upgrade to a pixel XL. Yes the 6P has wifi calling but my carrier does not support it. I need wifi calling because I do not get reception at work, and can only get calls though wifi (only I can't because verizon has not enabled it).

Seems like they're finally deeply discounting the Pixel 1's, so it probably is a decent time to look at them. Depending on what the final Pixel 2 phones end up being I might go that route.

I heard the pixel XL is a great phone, other than all of it's bluetooth issues. you guys have any bluetooth issues?

The next gen's lack of headphone jack is another kick in the ass for me.

Bluetooth and headphone jack are things I use daily, on my way to work, and then once I get there. I don't want a shitty adapter like the iphone uses I'll never carry that crap around with me.

Google fixed all the Bluetooth issues.

My pixel XL has been fantastic, I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon.

I feel like in 2017 it's ridiculous for phones not to have IP68 water resistance.

Google fixed all the Bluetooth issues.

My pixel XL has been fantastic, I don't see myself replacing it anytime soon.

I was skeptical about how great everyone thinks the Pixel phones are, but then i used one, and i was like, "Oh! now i get it!" Great phone, and very snappy

A guy I work with has a normal Pixel 1 and it's a terrific phone. Hardware-wise it's kinda weak, but it's hard not to appreciate how clean stock Android is. I believe the issues with Bluetooth (and weird speaker issues) were fixed via updates. At least they don't seem to be affecting him anymore.

IMO, the Pixel is simply proof that a clean version of Android can make an average device into something amazing. Compared to the new phone releases in 2017, the Pixel looks borderline "last-gen" until you start using it. Imagine if that version of Android was running on everything...

A guy I work with has a normal Pixel 1 and it's a terrific phone. Hardware-wise it's kinda weak, but it's hard not to appreciate how clean stock Android is. I believe the issues with Bluetooth (and weird speaker issues) were fixed via updates. At least they don't seem to be affecting him anymore.

IMO, the Pixel is simply proof that a clean version of Android can make an average device into something amazing. Compared to the new phone releases in 2017, the Pixel looks borderline "last-gen" until you start using it. Imagine if that version of Android was running on everything...

I wish they brought back the "Play Edition" of phones that ran stock Android on the flagships of various brands and received updates directly from Google.

Back