Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

Discussion in 'Smart Phones and Devices' started by Johnny78, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Zorachus

Zorachus [H]ardForum Junkie

There's an update on the Play Store for the stock Google Phone app. And man they killed one thing I LOVED the most about it, the swipe to the different panels. I would always swipe left to my Favorites, or swipe right to the Contacts, or further swipe to the Voicemail. It was so smooth and fast, to just swipe from anywhere on the screen.

Now it's been moved to the bottom of the screen, no more swiping, now you need to tap on which panel you want. Which to me takes even longer now, and is not as fast and smooth as before.

I have been using the stock Google or ASOP Phone app for years, probably 8 years or so. This change is no bueno.

2. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Gawd

Maybe send feedback about it? It really seems like a odd thing to take out.

3. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, I hate this too. Looks like there's a lot of recent feedback/reviews about it in the Play Store too. Maybe send them an e-mail complaining about it as well, but I doubt it will do any good, it can't hurt though.

Finally was able to pull the May security update on T-Mobile last night at least. Took a week for them to push the OTA :rolleyes:.

4. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Gawd

Good idea, time to leave a 1 star review.

Also, I'm glad I'm not on T-Mobile and have to deal with their weird slow updating ways. I heard that if you have a sim card from another carrier, you could force the update though (or just sideload, doesn't need root).

5. Commander Shepard

Commander Shepard Proud Brony

I finally got my May update last night. Ten days after its release. I'm on T-Mobile, too.

6. vegeta535

vegeta535 [H]ard|Gawd

Anyone notice the blue tint is a lot less noticable? Seem like there almost no color shift now.

7. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Gawd

Mine is absolutely still there but it's not really an issue to me.

8. exlink

exlink 2[H]4U

You most likely just got more used to it as time has gone on.

9. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

I just got mine a couple months ago and it didn't really have it in the first place, at least it wasn't any worse than my 6P's display when I put them side by side (which is to say it's not really noticeable).

10. Jaymzkerten

Jaymzkerten Limp Gawd

I'm a bit disappointed that 7 months in I already have burn in from the clock and notifications at the top of the screen. After the horrible burn in my GS7 had I now have it set to manual brightness and rarely take it above 50%. I feel like what they did to "dim" the soft buttons at the bottom should have also been done to the top as well. Definitely going to be flexing the warranty as I get closer to the 1 year mark.

11. vegeta535

vegeta535 [H]ard|Gawd

Had mine since November and have 0 burnin. I keep my brightness around 50%. Google will replace it under warranty if you have burn in.

Commander Shepard likes this.
  12. Domingo

Domingo [H]ardForum Junkie

A guy I work with got an XL2 yesterday and it was minimal. Still there, but it was way less noticeable than my launch day version. His also didn't have the weird "gritty" look whenever there was too much white on the screen, too. I'd feel comfortable recommending an XL if they're all like that now.

vegeta535 likes this.
  13. ChronoReverse

ChronoReverse Gawd

Yeah, mine doesn't have the gritty look at all. I would definitely be bothered by that far more than blueshift.

14. auntjemima

auntjemima 2[H]4U

I am running 100% brightness and now a few months in I have no burn-in. Screen has a 1 minute time out.

15. Kyle_Bennett

Kyle_Bennett El Chingón Staff Member

Got my new one on warranty tradeout. Process was smooth as butter.

16. T4rd

T4rd [H]ardForum Junkie

I checked mine like a week ago and have 0 burn in as well, but I would hope a 2 month old phone wouldn't either and I got my phone after they implemented the inverted color nav bar stuff to negate burn-in. I usually only keep my screen at about half brightness (with adaptive brightness enabled) too.

Interestingly enough, I put my phone up next to the S9+ I just got my mom this weekend and to me the displays are mostly comparable. The S9+ gets a bit brighter and doesn't ghost as bad at lower brightness, but otherwise I think the 2 XL holds its own against it now.