Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

I am downloading the P DP2 now, and it will install. I am stock not rooted or anything.

Is there a way to make this a fresh clean install without having TWRP or root ?
Do a full reset after the update is done. Beware it'll blow away your data too (like photos)

Okay I'm on official stock Android P DP2. I used the OTA over stock Android 8.1.

Been on it a few hours and to be honest I can't really see or notice much of a difference at all. Except visually looks worse, as in cheesy Settings design, and the drop down quick tiles look sort of lame. I liked Oreo's look better, it seemed more consistent if maybe too white though.

Maybe Android P is more about behind the scenes under the hood fixes and updates ?

Anyone got the May security patch yet? Was released yesterday and my phone still doesn't pull it after manually checking for updates. Unlocked on T-Mobile. Seems Verizon users got it immediately, which makes this more annoying. They were supposed to fix the update button to actually work a few months ago and it has for me the past couple months until now.

Anyone got the May security patch yet? Was released yesterday and my phone still doesn't pull it after manually checking for updates. Unlocked on T-Mobile. Seems Verizon users got it immediately, which makes this more annoying. They were supposed to fix the update button to actually work a few months ago and it has for me the past couple months until now.

I did! I'm in Aus though. OTA yesterday. At one point it seemed to be carrier limited? Though the last couple I've received it on release/update day rather than waiting. I think the first few months I had to wait up to a week. (Owned P2 since launch)

From what I can tell, only T-Mobile users aren't pulling it immediately

No May update on my T-Mo P2XL, yet. I just checked for it.
I wonder why T-Mobile is a problem for this. Even the Verizon folks got their update. If Google were serious, the phone ought to at least update if you take out the sim. So much for their fix.

May patch is good though. Fixes that multitouch issue (I had thought it was coming in June) amongst other things.

Does anyone make use of the active edge? It doesn't work often within fullscreen apps where I'd actually like to use it. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Does anyone make use of the active edge? It doesn't work often within fullscreen apps where I'd actually like to use it. Am I missing a setting somewhere?

By fullscreen, you mean in landscape mode? Because it doesn't doesn't work in landscape mode. Otherwise it works fine for me every app while in portrait mode.

By fullscreen, you mean in landscape mode? Because it doesn't doesn't work in landscape mode. Otherwise it works fine for me every app while in portrait mode.
In vertical mode. For example, I use the Amazon Kindle app which is fullscreen and the squeeze doesn't work there.

In vertical mode. For example, I use the Amazon Kindle app which is fullscreen and the squeeze doesn't work there.

Ahh, yeah, I just tried it in the Kindle app too and it doesn't work while in fullscreen mode, but you can just tap the screen to zoom out and it'll work there. I'm sure that's intentional to keep you from interrupting your fullscreen experience.

I do use active edge occasionally though. Usually when other people are around so I don't have to look as dumb to get my phone to talk to me, heh.

I love the look of the beta. Apps are pretty much crashing every few minutes, but I'll survive.

Just sent mine in on warranty. Would no longer connect to my home wireless network.

We have a Pixel 2 and an S9+, and the Samsung is definitely a nice bit of hardware but saddled with Samsung software and Samsung update schedule. So far my Pixel 2 (non-XL) hasn't given me any problems. Yeah, the P2 multi-touch is fixed, though I never ran into it in actual use myself (but I could purposefully trigger it). There are quite a few random problems reported on reddit, phones that reboot / charge issues / speaker or microphone quits / black screens / proximity sensor during calls / hangs / camera / usb port / etc.

Rekt'd :(

Just stopped connecting to wifi routers?
JUST my home router. Others have had this issue. I went through all the troubleshooting, factory reset the phone, changed the SSID, no bueno. The router is 2.4GHz, they asked me to switch it to 5GHz, which it does not support, so I think it has something to do with that. I did start a hotspot on my wife's Pixel, and I could connect to her hotspot, so it was not fully broken. Odd issue.

It's more like one of the settings on the router for the wifi instead. Something like "mixed mode" vs purely AC or perhaps even more esoteric like Enhanced Interference Management being a liability.

I've ordered a Whitestone Dome protector set to arrive tomorrow. Very pricey but if it's as good as advertised then well worth it for me. I'll feel a lot safer too with the Spigen Rugged Armor I also ordered (going naked so far).

A/B/G are 2.4 Ghz bands while N/AC are 5 Ghz bands.

Huh? B/G is 2.4 GHz, N is both 2.4/5GHz, A/AC is 5GHz only.

Surprised Kyle doesn't have a dual-band router by now at least though. Not that it matters, it should still be RMA'd if it refuses to connect to an AP it knew before and nothing else changed. Though I wonder if his phone even saw the SSID for his router and just wouldn't connect to it or if it didn't even see it to connect to it in the first place. If it saw the SSID broadcasted still, I would wonder if the router had a firmware or configuration change to cause the issue, esp. since the phone only had issues with that AP.

Huh? B/G is 2.4 GHz, N is both 2.4/5GHz, A/AC is 5GHz only.

Surprised Kyle doesn't have a dual-band router by now at least though. Not that it matters, it should still be RMA'd if it refuses to connect to an AP it knew before and nothing else changed. Though I wonder if his phone even saw the SSID for his router and just wouldn't connect to it or if it didn't even see it to connect to it in the first place. If it saw the SSID broadcasted still, I would wonder if the router had a firmware or configuration change to cause the issue, esp. since the phone only had issues with that AP.
My entire house is hardwired with CAT6. Don't need fast wireless. My TMobile connect is hella fast here. I only noticed it not connecting when pics I took for a review did not upload automatically from my phone since I had it set to only upload on wireless network.

The phone sees the SSID and tries to get an IP but will not. Zero changes to the router. I changed the SSID name, and it still would not connect.

Got my Whitestone Dome installed, was a little scary but wasn't actually that bad especially with the rig it comes with to align things.

It feels lovely, has no dot matrix, no rainbow effect and no halo. Sensitivity remains great and it's smooth as the original surface.

Sounds like some issue with the phone stuffing up the wifi access point. If so, the rma phone will probably do the same thing ...

Just picked up the Pixel 2 XL, so far it seems like a solid purchase. I opt'd to just manually set up the phone because I wanted a fresh start. However I would like to transfer a few of my group texts but I am not sure how. On my old phone I used the Verizon messager app but I can't figure out how to transfer the conversations over to google messenger. Anybody know of a way?

Just picked up the Pixel 2 XL, so far it seems like a solid purchase. I opt'd to just manually set up the phone because I wanted a fresh start. However I would like to transfer a few of my group texts but I am not sure how. On my old phone I used the Verizon messager app but I can't figure out how to transfer the conversations over to google messenger. Anybody know of a way?

Did you try the USB adapter that came with the phone? I used that to transfers all my data, texts, and apps over to my new one. It should let you select what you want to transfer. Not sure if your Verizon messages are SMS though.

Did you try the USB adapter that came with the phone? I used that to transfers all my data, texts, and apps over to my new one. It should let you select what you want to transfer. Not sure if your Verizon messages are SMS though.

I didn't, I used google backup to move almost everything else. I will try that method, thanks.

So I have had my Pixel 2 XL since December going on 6 months now and I have to say I'm just as happy and satisfied with it today as I am the first day I got it. Since the pixel 2 release there's no new phone that's come out that's even remotely tempted me to switch or think about getting.

And I've been known to be a phone whore, always switching to the latest and greatest newest smartphone. But stock Android is just so good, and Android P DP2 being fantastic, I don't want a Samsung or LG or HTC UI phone anymore. I just like stock vanilla, and it's timely updates.

And the iPhone, no offense, but no way. I am not a fan of iOS whatsoever. Unless Apple updates iOS with a vastly revised notification system and a bunch of other much needed revisions, I can't go iPhone, it would be a massive downgrade from my Pixel 2 XL.

There's an update on the Play Store for the stock Google Phone app. And man they killed one thing I LOVED the most about it, the swipe to the different panels. I would always swipe left to my Favorites, or swipe right to the Contacts, or further swipe to the Voicemail. It was so smooth and fast, to just swipe from anywhere on the screen.

Now it's been moved to the bottom of the screen, no more swiping, now you need to tap on which panel you want. Which to me takes even longer now, and is not as fast and smooth as before.

I have been using the stock Google or ASOP Phone app for years, probably 8 years or so. This change is no bueno.

There's an update on the Play Store for the stock Google Phone app. And man they killed one thing I LOVED the most about it, the swipe to the different panels. I would always swipe left to my Favorites, or swipe right to the Contacts, or further swipe to the Voicemail. It was so smooth and fast, to just swipe from anywhere on the screen.

Now it's been moved to the bottom of the screen, no more swiping, now you need to tap on which panel you want. Which to me takes even longer now, and is not as fast and smooth as before.

I have been using the stock Google or ASOP Phone app for years, probably 8 years or so. This change is no bueno.
Maybe send feedback about it? It really seems like a odd thing to take out.

Maybe send feedback about it? It really seems like a odd thing to take out.

Yeah, I hate this too. Looks like there's a lot of recent feedback/reviews about it in the Play Store too. Maybe send them an e-mail complaining about it as well, but I doubt it will do any good, it can't hurt though.

Finally was able to pull the May security update on T-Mobile last night at least. Took a week for them to push the OTA :rolleyes:.

Yeah, I hate this too. Looks like there's a lot of recent feedback/reviews about it in the Play Store too. Maybe send them an e-mail complaining about it as well, but I doubt it will do any good, it can't hurt though.

Finally was able to pull the May security update on T-Mobile last night at least. Took a week for them to push the OTA :rolleyes:.
Good idea, time to leave a 1 star review.

Also, I'm glad I'm not on T-Mobile and have to deal with their weird slow updating ways. I heard that if you have a sim card from another carrier, you could force the update though (or just sideload, doesn't need root).

I finally got my May update last night. Ten days after its release. I'm on T-Mobile, too.

Anyone notice the blue tint is a lot less noticable? Seem like there almost no color shift now.

Anyone notice the blue tint is a lot less noticable? Seem like there almost no color shift now.

I just got mine a couple months ago and it didn't really have it in the first place, at least it wasn't any worse than my 6P's display when I put them side by side (which is to say it's not really noticeable).

I'm a bit disappointed that 7 months in I already have burn in from the clock and notifications at the top of the screen. After the horrible burn in my GS7 had I now have it set to manual brightness and rarely take it above 50%. I feel like what they did to "dim" the soft buttons at the bottom should have also been done to the top as well. Definitely going to be flexing the warranty as I get closer to the 1 year mark.

Back