Google Pixel and Pixel XL 2

Yep. My nexus 6P cable came with a USB C to C cable, a charger brick, as well as a short USB A to C cable.

My launch era Nexus 6P shipped with a Type C to C (required for the brick) and a laughably short (like 4-5 inches) Type C to A cable. Google must have felt guilty about bundling such a short cable that about a few months later I got a package in the mail from Google with a nearly 2 foot Type C to A cable; no charge of course.

Later on, sometime around Christmas 2015, Google also sent me a phone stand that you build from Lego bricks. Again, no charge. Now that one took me by surprise. I thought it was a rather neat gesture for us early adopters.

I just got my Black and White Pixel 2 XL 128GB.

Initial impressions overall are positive. I think I'm happy with the upgrade from the Pixel XL. I like the way it feels in my hands a lot better than the Pixel XL.

Yes, the screen does turn blue at an angle but it's not an issue at normal viewing angles. The default font size seems larger and easier to read than my Pixel XL, I appreciate that. I like the default color settings, the this screen looks dull comments make no sense we to me. Also the new aspect ratio is amazing. Feels like I can see so much more on the screen at one time.

The speakers are a bit overrated IMHO. The speakers vibrate a fair but over 3/4 volume. I appreciate that I am not constantly covering up the speaker by accident though since they are now large oppennings on the front of the phone.

The haptic feedback is much more crisp and feels really nice. They even added haptic feedback to the keyboard when you use the space bar to move your cursor. Super nuce.

I live squeezing the phone for Google assistant instead of having to hunt for the home button or saying OK GOOGLE.

I also got the carbon fabric case from Google. I love it. I'm still going to rock my phone naked when I can.

I have not noticed much blue shift at all on my Pixel 2 XL. Perhaps I am not as susceptible to it as others, or perhaps I just got one of the good ones. Personally I think the screen is awesome, it seems to be a big upgrade from the previous pixel which also had a very good screen. It may not be the best on the market for brightness, but the clarity is damn good for me. I also like that they expanded the screen and got rid of the bottom row from the original pixel, that bothered me.

I will say that I miss the headphone jack since I have some pretty decent quality headphones I was using with the previous pixel. But I also have a decent pair of bluetooth headphones that didn't rob the bank. The speakers on the Pixel 2 XL are far better than the ones on the Pixel. However, you are correct about the vibration. Because of the placement of the speakers, they tend to vibrate through the phone. I wonder if part of this is on purpose to provided some of the tactile feedback and provide a bit more of a more wholesome surround feature. Either way it is slightly annoying, but not terrible, definitely something I think I can live with. Although my final verdict is that they could definitely use a bit more work for the next verison.

I agree about the haptic feedback, although I usually turn that off to help save on some battery life. It feels a bit more responsive and better than the previous pixel.

I actually hate the squeeze function. I hardly ever use google assistant, so it annoys the hell out of me, mostly because I have nerve damage and I tend to squeeze my phone by accident, a lot. I just need to turn it off. For others I could see it as being a neat idea. Although I would predict many may get tired of it over time.

I got the following for my Pixel 2 XL and both are great imho:

Screen Protector: Skinomi Techskin

Case: Spigen Tough Armor

I had the Tough Armor for my previous Pixel and it was great, so I followed up with their new one, and it came with a gunmetal option which looks great. I had the Spigen full coverage screen protector on my old one, which I liked, but it had a few issues. Since it was glass, it was susceptible to more smudging. The Skinomi isn't as susceptible to smudging, and so far has held up well against scratching and impact. I have dropped my phone a few times as I am prone to do (note above about nerve damange, its a soab), and so far no scratches, no cracks, no dents, no issues. I also frequently dropped my Pixel XL and never had issues with the screen protector and case from Spigen. So I highly recommend Spigen products.

Also, I believe the camera on the new Pixel 2 XL is really good. Although I am not much of a photographer, I have taken a number of pictures with it and they all come out clear and crisp. The previous Pixel XL I would sometimes get pictures that might be slightly diffused.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm considering the Pixel Buds. I currently have some Bragi Headphones but the case they come with doesn't charge them and if you leave them in your pocket for a week, the left bud goes dead. They have to be plugged in daily, even if I don't use them...

I like having a case that I can put in my coat pocket. I frequently use my buds for listing to podcasts, so I'm pretty sure the Pixel Buds will do the trick.

If only Google could do a better job making their products available... They still aren't for sale in Canada yet...

For those looking for earphones, I actually went with these, mostly because I wanted something I could use effectively while exercising. They actually perform quite well for me:

TaoTronics Sport

My launch era Nexus 6P shipped with a Type C to C (required for the brick) and a laughably short (like 4-5 inches) Type C to A cable. Google must have felt guilty about bundling such a short cable that about a few months later I got a package in the mail from Google with a nearly 2 foot Type C to A cable; no charge of course.

I actually love and use that short (1 ft actually) cable and got a couple extra ones. It's great for my PC desk (tower sits just below my desk's top with USB ports right there so my phone can sit on the desk charging or for USB transfers), kitchen charging station (island table with one of those AC/USB combo outlets right below the surface), and in our car (car dock is in the CD mount right above the DC outlet), so there's no excess cable flopping around everywhere.

After watching several YT videos and reading up on the latest updates to the screen issue, I'm taking another shot with a 2 XL. Just ordered the black and white version. Almost went with the 2, but I've kinda grown addicted to bigger screen phones.

For headphones, I've been using these for a few weeks. I'm very pleased with the fit, sound, and battery life.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747JQVC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After watching several YT videos and reading up on the latest updates to the screen issue, I'm taking another shot with a 2 XL. Just ordered the black and white version. Almost went with the 2, but I've kinda grown addicted to bigger screen phones.

For headphones, I've been using these for a few weeks. I'm very pleased with the fit, sound, and battery life.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0747JQVC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There were/are basically 6 complaints regarding the Pixel 2 XL screen. Some which are typical OLED issues, some of which have been repaired/mitigated, and some which still hold true:

1. Blue Shift - Yes, it does exist. On every Pixel 2 XL in some varying degree. Blue or some other color shift also happens on other OLEDs as well. The difference is that the Pixel 2 XL's blue shift is almost always going to be worse than any other modern day flagship's OLED color shift.

2. Grain - This is a problem with some Pixel 2 XL displays. My first one had very slight grain, basically solid colors looked like they were ever so slightly "dirty". My second unit was pristine though.

3. Black Crush - This is a problem. At low brightness you will get some black crush earlier on than most other OLED displays. However, I think this could be mitigated in a future software patch by increasing minimum brightness.

4. Black Smear - At low brightness completely black images will "smear" when you scroll. This is not a Pixel 2 XL issue - this is an OLED issue in general.

5. Burn-in - Yes, this is a problem with some Pixel 2 XLs. My first unit had it ever so slightly after about a 2 week period of pretty heavy use. This is common with all OLED panels, but some Pixel 2 XL units are exhibiting it much earlier than they should.

6. Color Saturation - This was a problem for some as the colors seemed too "dull". Personally I don't mind it and actually prefer it to the new Saturated mode now that makes the colors "pop" as some have requested. Google has 3 color profiles now, but none of them have the color red correctly calibrated. Boosted/Natural makes red look like a dried blood reddish/brown while the Saturated mode makes the red have a slight orange hue to it.

It doesn't seem like Google/LG has or plans to make any changes to their manufacturing. The quality of each display still varies regardless of manufacture date. Buying a Pixel 2 XL at this point is like playing the lottery - you may score one with a good display or one with a garbage display. Good luck!

There were/are basically 6 complaints regarding the Pixel 2 XL screen. Some which are typical OLED issues, some of which have been repaired/mitigated, and some which still hold true:

1. Blue Shift - Yes, it does exist. On every Pixel 2 XL in some varying degree. Blue or some other color shift also happens on other OLEDs as well. The difference is that the Pixel 2 XL's blue shift is almost always going to be worse than any other modern day flagship's OLED color shift.

2. Grain - This is a problem with some Pixel 2 XL displays. My first one had very slight grain, basically solid colors looked like they were ever so slightly "dirty". My second unit was pristine though.

3. Black Crush - This is a problem. At low brightness you will get some black crush earlier on than most other OLED displays. However, I think this could be mitigated in a future software patch by increasing minimum brightness.

4. Black Smear - At low brightness completely black images will "smear" when you scroll. This is not a Pixel 2 XL issue - this is an OLED issue in general.

5. Burn-in - Yes, this is a problem with some Pixel 2 XLs. My first unit had it ever so slightly after about a 2 week period of pretty heavy use. This is common with all OLED panels, but some Pixel 2 XL units are exhibiting it much earlier than they should.

6. Color Saturation - This was a problem for some as the colors seemed too "dull". Personally I don't mind it and actually prefer it to the new Saturated mode now that makes the colors "pop" as some have requested. Google has 3 color profiles now, but none of them have the color red correctly calibrated. Boosted/Natural makes red look like a dried blood reddish/brown while the Saturated mode makes the red have a slight orange hue to it.

It doesn't seem like Google/LG has or plans to make any changes to their manufacturing. The quality of each display still varies regardless of manufacture date. Buying a Pixel 2 XL at this point is like playing the lottery - you may score one with a good display or one with a garbage display. Good luck!
Excellent summary. For black crush, the Galaxy S4's black crush was indeed "resolved" by increased the dimmest grey to a higher level. This had the side effect of making very dim brightness more washed out but it's better than simply showing black with no details.

I would add to your list one more item:

7. Mura - As opposed to grain, this is generally much less noticeable until you're looking at low brightness content with even colors. It's the result of manufacturing non-uniformities where the slight unevenness results in disproportionally large visual result similar to moire. Can manifest either as spots/blotches or ripples.

For a set of good/cheap Bluetooth headphones, I've been super happy with a Jabra Move set I bought last month. They're comfy and they sound great. They also pair up almost instantly, too. At only $60 they sound better than a lot of sets that cost 3-4x as much. The only major downside is that they only last 8 hours per charge. I have a USB plug with 2 ports, so I generally just charge them when I charge my phone.
If they made a set that lasted 15-20 hours they'd be just about perfect.

As far as the Pixel XL2 goes, mine looked like there was a tiny bit of oil underneath the screen. Kind of smudgy and inconsistent. My "blue shift" was super mild, though. I have a friend with the exact opposite. No smudge effect but blue shift if you even move your head slightly. He returned his for the smaller model, too. Makes me wonder how many of those smaller phones are going to people that settled for it.

I think I'll give that screen protector a shot. I have some light scratches from the last desert trip. Nothing you can see when the screen is on, but very light scratch you can see when you catch some glare and the screen is off. Sand will scratch anything... I'm not a fan of the rounded glass at all :( It's purely a marketing thing, feels nice in hand, but not practical in any way.

I assume most everyone here is on the Google bought Pixel 2 / Pixel 2 XL, and not the gimped Verizon version ? And are on ' Off Contract ' plans ?

What carrier and plan are you using with it ? The best deal seems to be the ATTGo Phone SIM ? Isn't that like $55 / month for unlimited, if subscribed to monthly auto payment ? T-Mobile I think is $70 for similar off contract plan.

Thx

How does Google typically roll out the OTA updates exactly? With the last one, I never did get it. I had to sideload install the update by hand 10+ days after it started rolling out. I know the older "update" button was just a placebo. Is there some trick to getting the updates without sideloading?

Returned my second 2 XL today because its screen wasn't any better than my first one. I'm now thinking about trying the standard Pixel 2 or Huawei Mate 10.

Android 8.1 is being delivered OTA right now. Why it's Pixel/Nexus or bust in the Android world...

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/05/android-8-1-rollout/

I used to think that. Then I realized most of the new functionality in each Android release was only minor stuff I may never use. The only thing in Oreo over Nougat that is useful is the autofill API which isn't evven supported by Chrome yet.

Now I just care about how often I get security updates and LG is doing is a pretty good job at every other month.

Download links are live: https://www.xda-developers.com/android-8-1-oreo-final-release-imminent/

I sideloaded it this morning. Not seeing many noticeable differences (not that I expected to), but it looks like the top shade is now transparent. The system notifications are also a little different. They seem to be smaller/thinner, but if you touch them, they open up and show more information.

Not sure if the fix for the "high pitched electronic noises" is coming later or if it wasn't actually fixed, but I can still hear them. It's faint and it doesn't really bother me, but it's definitely still there. I can hear it on both sides of the phone, with the noise apparently emanating from the area near the fingerprint reader. Thing is, it's still audible while making a call, hence the complaints.

8.1 made my battery life worse. Or maybe it made the battery reading more accurate (it used to feel like it was hanging on 100%).

8.1 made my battery life worse. Or maybe it made the battery reading more accurate (it used to feel like it was hanging on 100%).
I'm thinking battery life is a bit worse for me too, just a seat of the pants kind of thing. The screen protector is working ok, it has a couple defects in it but I think it will suit my needs which is preventing scratches from sand. I read it does not work with VR but I haven't tested that yet.

I never trust the battery readings on phones much until I've completely killed it recently. All too often I'll get my phone down to its last 10% and then it'll last twice as long as any other 10% increment beforehand.

So try actually killing the phone and comparing that run time to the previous software before you judge it much. That's the only true way to compare.

I had a screen protector that didn't sit right, got a full cover one, was ugly/eh quality. Just gonna stick out bare screen lol. With a case though, so should hopefully be okay.

Regarding battery, I believe it made it more accurate. Instead of sitting on 'x' % for a period of time, it drops more consistently as it drains. My partners iPhone has issues with this reading, because often iPhone Idle time has it stay at 'x' % but when you start using it, it'll drop like a tonne of bricks by chunks of %. I prefer the accurate method.

After the last update, anyone else notice a huge gain in lag for the screen waking up? Before pushing the power button or touching the finger print reader it would be instant, no noticeable delay, now there is almost a 3 second delay before the screen comes on.

Well I'm proud to say, I bit the bullet and just ordered a Black and White Pixel 2 XL from Google. Afraid I will get a bad screen phone, but currently having the LG V30, if it's the same the V30's I'm totally fine with that.

I am just a stock Android nerd, having owned the Nexus-One, Nexus-S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Motorola Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, and this will be my first Pixel.

I am returning my V30 this week. I really liked the V30 a lot, great phone, super good phone, but I am looking to be off contract, and have an unlocked phone, as well as an unlocked bootloader phone, and with the 3 year support Google said they'd give the Pixel 2 line, as well as a free Google Home Mini, I'm in.

Let's see how this goes. I ordered 2 cases, the Carbon Fabric case, as well as Peel Silver case.

Well I'm proud to say, I bit the bullet and just ordered a Black and White Pixel 2 XL from Google. Afraid I will get a bad screen phone, but currently having the LG V30, if it's the same the V30's I'm totally fine with that.

I am just a stock Android nerd, having owned the Nexus-One, Nexus-S, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 4, Motorola Nexus 6, Nexus 6P, and this will be my first Pixel.

I am returning my V30 this week. I really liked the V30 a lot, great phone, super good phone, but I am looking to be off contract, and have an unlocked phone, as well as an unlocked bootloader phone, and with the 3 year support Google said they'd give the Pixel 2 line, as well as a free Google Home Mini, I'm in.

Let's see how this goes. I ordered 2 cases, the Carbon Fabric case, as well as Peel Silver case.

That didn't take long. The V30 was the mother of all phones for about a week.

Did you read that a Google developer released an iOS 11 exploit and jailbreak may be back. How soon will Z take to switch to the X if jailbreak is a reality?

No on the iPhone X, it looks like a great smartphone, but my overall beef with iOS doesn't last long. Every iPhone I've had I like a lot at first, but as the weeks go by, I really start to get irritated with the way iOS works compared to stock Android. And then a month or two of owning an iPhone I start get mad and frustrated. But the thing is, that iPhone X is just such a great design really has the best overall feel, roudned edges, very comfortable. But man I just wish iOS 11 didn't feel like something from five years ago.

OS = I prefer stock Android #1
Hardware = I prefer iPhone X best

At the end of the day, I interact with the OS mostly, so cool awesome looking hardware goes to the side, and the preferred OS is important.

What are you guys / gals doing for screen protection on the Pixel 2 XL ? Do you recommend getting a tempered glass screen protector ? Reading on XDA and Amazon reviews, with the 2 XL having a slight curved edge, the tempered glass protectors have a problem staying on, and pop off over time, or have a rainbow effect, and if you want a solid one, then you need to get the type that doesn't go all the way to the edge of the phone, but only just barely to the edge of the screen itself only.

What are your opinions on screen protection overall on modern smartphones with these type of screens ???

What are you guys / gals doing for screen protection on the Pixel 2 XL ? Do you recommend getting a tempered glass screen protector ? Reading on XDA and Amazon reviews, with the 2 XL having a slight curved edge, the tempered glass protectors have a problem staying on, and pop off over time, or have a rainbow effect, and if you want a solid one, then you need to get the type that doesn't go all the way to the edge of the phone, but only just barely to the edge of the screen itself only.

What are your opinions on screen protection overall on modern smartphones with these type of screens ???
I had to deal with it years ago back with the Note 4 and the so-called "halo effect" everyone would complain about due to the glass digitizer surface sloping off just past the screen. At least there, I could tolerate it since it wasn't lifting off over the screen area.

The S7 my mom owns, on the other hand, will lift off well into the screen on the left and right edges. It's unsightly.

I'm not sure where the Pixel 2 XL falls on that spectrum, but the sorta reviews you're reading sound like the crap people with curved-edge Samsung phones get to deal with because the curved glass protectors only have edge adhesive and a crappy dot matrix for making the touchscreen work. Those phones only work well with the Whitestone Dome Glass, which is just a curved piece of glass without the dot matrix or any pre-applied adhesive since you're supposed to cure some LOCA glue between the protector and screen as part of the installation process.

If push comes to shove, maybe there's a suitable glass screen protector on the market for the Pixel 2 XL that would go edge-to-edge with a bit of LOCA.

Going to give this mod a try;

[MAGISK 14][Battery Saver] ENABLE DOZE on Google Play Services [6.0+]
https://forum.xda-developers.com/apps/magisk/module-enable-doze-google-play-services-t3608783

BACKGROUND :
I always find that Google Play Services is way too aggresive in doing its activities in the background. And its no secret that this main services from google is oftenly one of the main culprit for the sub par battery performance on most stock or even custom ROM across devices.

THE IDEA & THE BARRIER :
Starting in Android 6.0, Google has introduced one of my favorite features in battery saving : DOZE (quick read about this Here), it help us to make apps go into a "shallow" hibernation state. Where it use less energy but retain it's functionality.

Thing is, this feature is NOT applicable for Google Play Services. Thus, it cant help you to save the battery from being eaten by Google Play Services. And this is not for no reason of course (read SIDE EFFECT/NOTE section bellow for further explanation)

I found one glass screen protector that had an abnormally high amount of reviews, given the Pixel 2XL is a rather new phone. It had 554 5star reviews. All other glass protectors had bad reviews for the pop-off issue. Almost ordered it .. decided to run it through FakeSpot and it came back with a 0-star rating grade for them. That's an impressive amount of fakes.

I might just go with a PET type protector for now.

Last edited:
Anyone notice the music detection on the home screen works very poorly since the update to 8.1?
I also keep getting a music stutter on Spotify and Google play music since the update but I don't know if it is related. The only way I know how to fix it is to reboot the phone though.

Last edited:
I'm using one of these glass screen shields on my OnePlus 5 and it works quite well. It's the Spartan Tempered Glass Screen for $29.99. It's very "case friendly" as well.

http://www.xtremeguard.com/Google-Pixel-2-XL-Screen-Protectors-p/google_pixel_2_xl_screen_pro.htm

I hope you didn't pay that.

Xtremeguard Jack's their prices way up but then runs coupons to make it look like you are saving a ton.

Xtremeguard runs huge coupons that range from 80% to 93% off all the time.

If you sign up for their emails they will send them to you or just Google "Xtremeguard coupon" when you are looking to buy and search on the past week and you should hit one.

They will also run deals where the tempered glass screen protectors will only be a couple of bucks from time to time.

"80OFF" takes 80% off your order currently.

94528B64-1CD9-40F5-949D-05D2A4631744.png

Good to know, but I bought mine months ago. After going through 4 other glass shields in just a few weeks, I don't regret paying $30 for one that works great. I'll keep your info in mind if I want to buy another shield for a different phone.

Just picked up my fiance a Pixel 2 yesterday. I've been rocking the OG Pixel since it came out last year. Problems have been minimal and it's been the best phone I've ever had.

My gosh I am in LOVE with this case;

https://www.amazon.com/Google-X-Level-Mobile-Guardian-Protective/dp/B076BJG8YF

Fit like a tight glove, has a nice grip, not too slippery, and not too sticky. And it's super slim, very thin. It preserves the original feel of the phone.

My first case I got was the official Google Fabric case, and man that case made the phone more slippery, like a wet bar of soap. Plus it was way too thick and bulky.

This XLevel case is exactly what I like.

My gosh I am in LOVE with this case;

https://www.amazon.com/Google-X-Level-Mobile-Guardian-Protective/dp/B076BJG8YF

Fit like a tight glove, has a nice grip, not too slippery, and not too sticky. And it's super slim, very thin. It preserves the original feel of the phone.

My first case I got was the official Google Fabric case, and man that case made the phone more slippery, like a wet bar of soap. Plus it was way too thick and bulky.

This XLevel case is exactly what I like.
Your font color choice here is atrocious. I basically can't read anything except for the link.

The pixel 2 xl display is so disappointing. I'm on my 3rd phone trying to get one that isn't crap. First one the bottom left corner was pink, second one the top was pink, 3rd one is fine but certain colors just disappear when you lower the brightness on the screen. I was browsing hard forum and noticed it looked really odd. I turned the brightness up and noticed a bunch of the colors came back. I made a video of it here:

I think I'm done with this phone.

I gave up after my 2nd one. No excuse for such a piss-poor screen on a $1000 phone.

Back