Google Pixel 3 XL Specifications and Images Are Leaked Onto the Web

cageymaru

Fully [H]
A Russian Telegram account owner has leaked images and an unboxing video of the upcoming Google Pixel 3 XL. It features USB-C headphones and 4GB of ram. More specifications and images are in the articles.

A hardware specifications app again confirms the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor with 4GB of RAM and 1440 x 2960 display for 494 PPI. The SIM card slot is located at the bottom-left of the phone next to the USB-C port.

Can't wait! I don't understand the aversion to the notch on phones after using them extensively.
The notch doesn't bother me, either. However, the all-glass design is a deal-breaker. I've lost 2 glass phones to breakage. Ain't gonna go down that road, again. Luckily, I'm still very happy with my 2XL. No desire to replace it.

This is actually a relief. My GF and I just bought Pixel 2 XL's maybe 3 months ago. We absolutely love the phone. Just got the Android v9.0 Pie update lastnight.

Really does seem like the same phone spec wise so a HUGE relief to not have that pressure of not having something brand new with tons of new features. So far, doesn't seem like anything different than the Pixel 2 XL.

Last edited:
Can't wait! I don't understand the aversion to the notch on phones after using them extensively.
Think its less of an aversion and more a poking fun moment of the "bezzleless iPhone" which now has become a sticking point.

Also inb4 Apple lawsuit that the patented the notch :D

I'm not a hater of the notch by any stretch, but this one is a little extreme.

Who cares. Phones reached stagnation years ago. There really is no point and upgrading even 3-4 year old phones. Companies relize this so they make phones none user friendly to some simple things like a new battery. I don't get why new phone releases are big news still. I use to them til they break. My pixel 2xl battery is sure as hell not easy to replace but I am going to attempt to when the time comes. If I have to get a new phone I will not pay these $900+ prices for the latest and greatest again. I regret buying the pixel 2xl when I broke my 6P. The upgrade was not worth $900. I could of just got another 6p or first gen pixel for half the cost.

Who cares. Phones reached stagnation years ago. There really is no point and upgrading even 3-4 year old phones. Companies relize this so they make phones none user friendly to some thing as a new battery. I don't get why new phone releases are big news still. I use to them til they break. My pixel 2xl battery is sure as hell not easy to replace but I am going to attempt to when the time comes. If I have to get a new phone I will not pay these $900+ prices for the latest and greatest again. I regret buying the pixel 2xl when I broke my 6P. The upgrade was not worth $900. I could of just got another 6p or first gen pixel for half the cost.

They upgrades are so subtle now I find myself having to look up comparisons to see what actually changed. (not hating a specific company). All phones just look like generic copies of each other now.

Who cares. Phones reached stagnation years ago. There really is no point and upgrading even 3-4 year old phones. Companies relize this so they make phones none user friendly to some thing as a new battery. I don't get why new phone releases are big news still. I use to them til they break. My pixel 2xl battery is sure as hell not easy to replace but I am going to attempt to when the time comes. If I have to get a new phone I will not pay these $900+ prices for the latest and greatest again. I regret buying the pixel 2xl when I broke my 6P. The upgrade was not worth $900. I could of just got another 6p or first gen pixel for half the cost.
The fact that all anyone really talks about nowadays is how it looks says everything, phones are as much a fashion statement as anything else.

I had a 6p and when it got stolen (who the f steals a phone in 2016) I replaced it with a 6p. When I cracked the bejezus out of that I was going to get another 6p but they were so hard to find that a Pixel was almost the same price. I notice almost no tangible difference between the two phones, though.

Who cares. Phones reached stagnation years ago. There really is no point and upgrading even 3-4 year old phones. Companies relize this so they make phones none user friendly to some simple things like a new battery. I don't get why new phone releases are big news still. I use to them til they break. My pixel 2xl battery is sure as hell not easy to replace but I am going to attempt to when the time comes. If I have to get a new phone I will not pay these $900+ prices for the latest and greatest again. I regret buying the pixel 2xl when I broke my 6P. The upgrade was not worth $900. I could of just got another 6p or first gen pixel for half the cost.

I'm with you on the 6p portion. I upgraded because I was changing companies and they had a 2XL there at the time. My 6p is still rocking as a backup should the time come. I replaced the battery in my 6p, but I haven't watched any videos on the 2XL replacement yet.

I'm with you on the 6p portion. I upgraded because I was changing companies and they had a 2XL there at the time. My 6p is still rocking as a backup should the time come. I replaced the battery in my 6p, but I haven't watched any videos on the 2XL replacement yet.

I'd say your 2XL battery might last awhile. Google (at least with mine) went a little conservative on their battery, so it doesn't rapid charge as much and has more aggressive heat cut off settings. Granted, I'm on a rooted older version of 8.1, so I may not have a bug fix if this is from a bug.

I noticed mine tends to only allow rapid charging within the 15-85% range, and then it tapers off to a slow charge. The last 15% is where you do the most damage to a battery.

Plus, I get about 7hrs Screen On Time with mine (if I push it), so I only have to charge once a day. Keeps the cycles low. With that endurance, I could probably have it only charge to 80% and be good for a very long time.

I'd say your 2XL battery might last awhile. Google (at least with mine) went a little conservative on their battery, so it doesn't rapid charge as much and has more aggressive heat cut off settings. Granted, I'm on a rooted older version of 8.1, so I may not have a bug fix if this is from a bug.

I noticed mine tends to only allow rapid charging within the 15-85% range, and then it tapers off to a slow charge. The last 15% is where you do the most damage to a battery.

I read that before, that you should never charge it past 80% or something. My 6p had the battery issue from the very beginning. If it got colder than ambient it would just randomly shut off, no matter the percentage. Then it wouldn't turn on, because even though it's actually at 60% the last thing it knew was 0.. so if I plugged it in and turned it on it would go right to 60% lol.

New battery solved it. I don't remember seeing anything about the Pixels having that issue, so I should be fine for a few years.

I read that before, that you should never charge it past 80% or something. My 6p had the battery issue from the very beginning. If it got colder than ambient it would just randomly shut off, no matter the percentage. Then it wouldn't turn on, because even though it's actually at 60% the last thing it knew was 0.. so if I plugged it in and turned it on it would go right to 60% lol.

New battery solved it. I don't remember seeing anything about the Pixels having that issue, so I should be fine for a few years.

Charging over ~80%, or quick charging, wears your battery out much faster than regular charging. If you want batteries to last, slow charge them to about 75% whenever you can.

This is true for all phones, but the 6P in particular came with a terrible battery and no hardware/software to compensate for high wear. That controversy you may have heard about Apple throttling old phones is exactly what Google should've done to mitigate it, but didn't... Old batteries could't keep up with the power demand under load, so voltage would drop (hence your battery meter goes crazy), and eventually it would make your 6P unbootable (as booting would draw too much CPU power for the battery to handle).

Plus, I get about 7hrs Screen On Time with mine (if I push it), so I only have to charge once a day. Keeps the cycles low. With that endurance, I could probably have it only charge to 80% and be good for a very long time.

That is normally how lithium ion batteries charge. You won't harm your battery by charging it to 100%, heat destroys batteries as well as complete discharge (which your phone won't let you do anyways so you are okay with that).

Batteries like to be charged at 1C but you can't really control that from your phone but you can turn off fast charging as this will generate more heat and in turn increase the series resistance of the battery (allowing less output current capability).

Lithium ion batteries age anyways, I can't recall the percentage of degradation per year off the top of my head but I want to say it was near 10%.

TL;DR Keep your phone from getting hot, just use your phone as you need it don't change your habits in the hopes of squeezing another month or two out of your battery.

That is normally how lithium ion batteries charge. You won't harm your battery by charging it to 100%, heat destroys batteries as well as complete discharge (which your phone won't let you do anyways so you are okay with that).

Batteries like to be charged at 1C but you can't really control that from your phone but you can turn off fast charging as this will generate more heat and in turn increase the series resistance of the battery (allowing less output current capability).

Lithium ion batteries age anyways, I can't recall the percentage of degradation per year off the top of my head but I want to say it was near 10%.

TL;DR Keep your phone from getting hot, just use your phone as you need it don't change your habits in the hopes of squeezing another month or two out of your battery.

It's not just heat, AFAIK. Charging at high voltage will also kill your battery.

Thats why the last 20% is so hard and slow. You need to feed the battery a high voltage to stuff that last bit of energy in there.

If you look at QuickCharge voltage graphs (people made some on XDA forums, but I can't find them now), IIRC the quick chargers rapidly ramp up to max voltage around 40% (instead of ~80% on "dumb" chargers) and keep it there until 100%, unless temps get too high. You can see this for yourself in an app like accubattery.

Alot of people accused the 6P and Note 7 battery manufacturer of pushing battery voltages too high, in an effort to stuff high capacity in as thin of a form factor as possible.

It's not just heat, AFAIK. Charging at high voltage will also kill your battery.

Thats why the last 20% is so hard and slow. You need to feed the battery a high voltage to stuff that last bit of energy in there.

If you look at QuickCharge voltage graphs (people made some on XDA forums, but I can't find them now), IIRC the quick chargers rapidly ramp up to max voltage around 40% (instead of ~80% on "dumb" chargers) and keep it there until 100%, unless temps get too high. You can see this for yourself in an app like accubattery.

Alot of people accused the 6P and Note 7 battery manufacturer of pushing battery voltages too high, in an effort to stuff high capacity in as thin of a form factor as possible.

I am not familiar with this particular case, I will look into it when I get home as it is interesting.

Lithium ions run at 3.7V and typically when you go into controlled voltage mode (about the last 60-50% of the charge) it gets charged at 4.2-4.25V with the current decreasing as the battery voltage reaches 4.2 unloaded. If they were charging at a higher voltage I would imagine that would have had problems for sure. I would be curious if someone has graphed out the charging externally (as the fuel gauge chip on board will have accuracy tolerances ).

Umm I had a 6p and it was a horrible performing phone with lackluster performance and features and you're telling me you regret the Pixel 2 XL? I'm going to just go ahead and say, it ...... BS. Complete and utter BS. No one here is going to believe that for a second.

If you really do have a Pixel 2 XL which I have serious doubts now, the new Android 9.0 Pie update that came out yesterday has a new awesome feature called "adaptive battery" .... it adds on average 2 additional hours of battery life.

Yeah, 845 is maybe 20% faster than 835, so there's nothing else really wroth waiting for here.

The notch doesn't bother me, either. However, the all-glass design is a deal-breaker. I've lost 2 glass phones to breakage. Ain't gonna go down that road, again. Luckily, I'm still very happy with my 2XL. No desire to replace it.

All of my phone always spend 100% of their lives in protective cases, so while I think all glass designs are silly it doesn't make a difference to me.

My first gen pixel is still treating me well. Battery life is starting to get a little shorter, but it's not terrible yet. When the battery life gets bad enough that it bothers me, or Google stops providing security patches, then I'm going to have to start thinking about what to do, but there is just no reason to upgrade phones frequently anymore.

All of them web/email/message fine regardless of the age, and that's really 99% of what I use them for.

Once the battery goes, illegal have to decide if it is worth replacing it or if I should get another phone. Once the security updates are no longer get offered, I'm hoping there will be official Lineage OS support.

Other than that, the 4GB of RAM and Snapdragon 821 are both more than enough for even a heavy phone user today, almost two years later.

Phones just don't need to be upgraded as often anymore.

Last edited:
Zero reason to upgrade from the Pixel 2, not even much reason to upgrade from the Pixel 1.

Umm I had a 6p and it was a horrible performing phone with lackluster performance and features and you're telling me you regret the Pixel 2 XL? I'm going to just go ahead and say, it ...... BS. Complete and utter BS. No one here is going to believe that for a second.

If you really do have a Pixel 2 XL which I have serious doubts now, the new Android 9.0 Pie update that came out yesterday has a new awesome feature called "adaptive battery" .... it adds on average 2 additional hours of battery life.
You had a busted ass 6p then. I regret paying $900 for the pixel 2xl over getting anotber 6p or a pixel XL for a lot less. the 2xl offers nothing to me that I can't live without.

I am not familiar with this particular case, I will look into it when I get home as it is interesting.

Lithium ions run at 3.7V and typically when you go into controlled voltage mode (about the last 60-50% of the charge) it gets charged at 4.2-4.25V with the current decreasing as the battery voltage reaches 4.2 unloaded. If they were charging at a higher voltage I would imagine that would have had problems for sure. I would be curious if someone has graphed out the charging externally (as the fuel gauge chip on board will have accuracy tolerances ).

I'm pretty sure the XDA graphs I saw were made on the internal sensors. I can't find it because most everyone graphs heat v time, not voltage or current :(

I've been meaning to get a USB multimeter though. Some actually aren't that pricey now that I'm looking...

All of my phone always spend 100% of their lives in protective cases, so while I think all glass designs are silly it doesn't make a difference to me.
Every cell phone I've owned goes into a case on day 1. Didn't prevent the backs of my two iPhones (5 and 5S) from shattering when they were dropped. :(

Every cell phone I've owned goes into a case on day 1. Didn't prevent the backs of my two iPhones (5 and 5S) from shattering when they were dropped. :(

Wow, I didn't know they were that fragile. I've never had a phone sustain any damage from a drop, once it was in a case.

ONly damage I've ever had has been case wear on the back of the phone.

Reactions: _l_
like this

Unless you want one with a 5G radio in it ;)

I'll agree that build quality on the 6p left a lot to be desired, but as far as performance you couldn't be farther off.

As mentioned, with my almost 2 year old first gen 5" Pixel (Sailfish) there are only two things right now that could make me upgrade.

1.) Battery life drops enough that it isn't usable. Then I'd have to start thinking about whether I want to replace the battery, or buy a new phone.

2.) Stops receiving regular security updates. If an official LineageOS build for the Pixel pops up at this point this no longer matters as I can use that, but if it doesn't, and I can't get security updates, I'd feel the need to drop it immediately.

- I don't care if it stops receiving Android OS version updates. It shipped with 7.1. It now has 8.1. I don't think there is any significant difference. Apparently I'll be getting Pie, but I really don't care, as long as I keep getting security updates, nothing else matters on the OS side.

- The Snapdragon 821 is more than fast enough for everything I do

- The 4GB RAM is more than enough for everything I do.

In fact, if I were to upgrade, I'd lose my analogue audio jack. That I would not like at all. I'd consider that a downgrade.

The biggest problem with the notch is that IT DOESN"T HAVE TO BE THERE. I mean, it doesn't give you that useful extra real-estate to have that extra little screen at the sides and, even worse, the bottom has a thicker bezel anyway so they could just put the cameras there (like, say, the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2). And just ask from lazy developers to make their apps work when you turn the phone upside down (e.g. whatsapp doesn't like it currently) for people who prefer the videoconferencing with the camera on top.
It seems that they are not trying to get rid of it because it has become some sort of idiotic signifier of the "high end". And they are even making it larger... bigger notch... better phone???

Back