Google Pixel 3 Has a Titan M Security Chip

AlphaAtlas

[H]ard|Gawd
Staff member
Google announced the Pixel 3 and Pixel 3 XL today. Both phones feature specs you'd expect from a flagship Android smartphone, including a Snapdragon 845, an improved camera, 4GB of RAM, a choice of 64GB of 128GB of storage, an upgraded 5.5" or 6.3" display, and a price tag starting at $800. As they don't have the manufacturing prowess of rivals like Samsung, Apple, and LG, Google tends to differentiate their phones with software features. However, both Pixel 3 phones come with a Google-designed "Titan M' security chip. This is the same chip Google uses in their datacenters, and it'll be interesting to see what kind of functionality the chip offers in a mobile device.

Also inside is a new Titan M security chip, which Google says provides "on-device protection for login credentials, disk encryption, app data, and the integrity of the operating system." Preorders for both phones begin today, and buyers will get six months of free YouTube Music service. The Pixels will officially launch on October 18th.

I find that notch so ugly on the XL. Considering the non-XL pixel 3, or maybe a different Android One phone like the Nokia 8 Sirocco.

If that Titan Security chip prevents the XDA Developers from making custom roms, I'm out. Pixel 2 has VERY strong 3rd party developer support via homebrew roms.

Awesome. Everyone now can get hands on with that chip, exploit it and then hit the data centers.

I was thinking the same thing but more than likely they've already developed a new one.

Hey Google I do not appreciate your ignoring my setting and spamming my notifications about introducing the pixel 3. I do not care about the pixel 3. So do not force push email notifications to my phone when I have it disable.

Surprised no one has mentioned removable batteries and SD cards. Oops, there they are...

Once a phone has 128GB, I don't see the need for an SD card. They just need to make the cost of the extra flash more reasonable.

As for the battery, as long as it's not glued in and reasonably easy to replace with standard tools, it's not that big of a deal.

Once a phone has 128GB, I don't see the need for an SD card. They just need to make the cost of the extra flash more reasonable.
l.

I only use an SD card because it means if my phone dies, I just pull the card and move on. I won't buy a phone without one.

Same here, it used to be a good buy, not anymore. I went with the new Motorola G6, it works fine for the low price.

Part of the issue with Motorola is their iffy "update" schedule if you do not do your own rom installs...I bought my wifey a G5 plus when they were on sale @ Costso for $169 out the door. At the time no phone on the market could really beat it for the price, and considering she was coming from a Galaxy S3 (yes, she made that phone last like 7years lol) it was a big update to her. The issue is the fact that Moto promised 2 years of support (meaning upgrades to any Google OS released during that 2 years from the launch date (android 9 falls in this window) and security updates...Her phone is still stuck on 7.1 with a June security update..No amount of trickery will get the phone to update...

This issue is happening to others, so it is not just her phone. You should not have to back up your phone and roll your own rom in order to get the promised updates in 2018. To make it worse, Moto has only released Android 8 (not 8.1 and forget about 9 as far as I know).

I was balls deep in phone modding back in 2010~2013..I do not have time for that anymore. IT is an interesting issue and I wish the Gov't would start forcing the 2 year update window to prevent all of the massive amount of fraud and data theft and botnetting that occurs due to outdated phones.

Back on the Pixel topic, I was considering replacing my Pixel XL, but the thing just does everything I want it to, and Android 9 actually gave me a nice 10-15% battery boost in a battery that is 2 years old now (or close since I bought it launch week in OCt 2016)..I am curious about this Titan chip stopping the 3rd party mods though. I was considering getting a 2 xL and giving this one to my pops.

There is no way I am paying $800 for a phone with 4GB of ram and 64GB of storage in 2018. Just is not happening. Google should have stepped the ram up to 6GB and started the storage @ 128GB to say "Hey, we give you more for the money, and you get the added bonus of it being a pure Android product!!!"

Hey Google I do not appreciate your ignoring my setting and spamming my notifications about introducing the pixel 3. I do not care about the pixel 3. So do not force push email notifications to my phone when I have it disable.

Genuinely curious about this. What phone specifically are you using? You're certain this was a system notification from Google and not an app you have installed? Was it from the Google app? Maybe a news story? I get those periodically from the Google News app because i have them turned on. If I turn them off, they stop.

I find it hard to believe you got this notification solely because you have an android phone and Google pushed it directly to your phone as an advertisement.

I wonder how much better the camera can be. The one on my 2XL is way better than I am capable of using it. I don't care that it doesn't have a SD card slot. Everything I have on my phone is backed up to multiple remote places. Titan M chip? Yeah, ok. I'd like to see some data about what it's sending to Google.

Unless it does something spectacular over my 2XL I see no need to upgrade.

Genuinely curious about this. What phone specifically are you using? You're certain this was a system notification from Google and not an app you have installed? Was it from the Google app? Maybe a news story? I get those periodically from the Google News app because i have them turned on. If I turn them off, they stop.

I find it hard to believe you got this notification solely because you have an android phone and Google pushed it directly to your phone as an advertisement.
I have a Pixel 2 XL. It was a notification for when you get a email. I have it turned off and only get email notifications from Google about the pixel 3 the past week. None of my other Gmail account emails get notifications pushes. Not even my monthly bill from Google for project fi service. It is not a big deal really but still fuck you google for pushing your advertisement. I am not a conspiracy nut but just seems fishy to me. Not to mention th phone itself been acting up since the 9.0 update.

No 3.5mm jack = hard pass

I still love my Pixel XL gen 1. still very fast running android 9.1 and has a 3.5mm jack.

Only phone I kinda like is the Note 9, but I have little reason to upgrade.

everyone seems to be regressing except for Samsung.

prowess of rivals like Samsung, Apple, and LG,

Eh? They use LG, Samsung (prior versions), and HTC to make their devices. They used to rotate with the Nexus (spreading the love), but that has changed since they bought the HTC team.

Pixel: HTC
Pixel 2: HTC
Pixel 2 XL: LG
Pixel 3 / 3XL: Supposedly Foxconn

The same Foxconn that makes a lot of the Apple iPhones.

So in a sense, they have the same manufacturing prowess as LG/Samsung/Apple.

Was going to order a (regular) pixel 3 today, but at $799.... fuck em' I'll keep my working and paid for 6P on Project Fi and spend the money on more useful things (like a new central AC system I need)

Funny thing is, if it was $699, I'd probably have (stupidly) gone for it.

I went ahead and ordered one for the wife, she was on a Pixel 2 but it got stolen a month or so ago, she's been rocking a nexus as I made her wait for release. It's a ho-hum release for me but whatever she needs a new phone since the one she's been surviving on barely holds on to calls anymore.

4gb ram isn't setting the world on fire but she texts people and uses instagram so whatever

Anyone notice how the notch is there even though the screen doesn't even go all the way to the bottom like the iPhone?

The iPhone only has a notch so they can have a front facing camera while using the entire screen.

So basically they include a notch for no fucking reason now other than to copy the iPhone without even using the full real estate the notch affords you.

Meanwhile:

You can literally have double the ram, storage, and dual SIM from the Huawei P20 Pro for the same price.
https://consumer.huawei.com/en/phones/p20-pro/

Huawei made the last good Nexus phone with the Nexus 6P.

And if you don't want to spend the obnoxious $750+ price of current top end smart phones you can go for a Nokia 7.1 which also has 4GB of memory with an aluminum body for half the price at $350
https://www.nokia.com/en_us/phones/nokia-7

Google needs to get it's shit together.

Almost as bad as Samsung. I'm surprised they didn't call it Bionic, or Secure Enclave or...

Anyone notice how the notch is there even though the screen doesn't even go all the way to the bottom like the iPhone?

The iPhone only has a notch so they can have a front facing camera while using the entire screen.

So basically they include a notch for no fucking reason now other than to copy the iPhone without even using the full real estate the notch affords you.

Meanwhile:

You can literally have double the ram, storage, and dual SIM from the Huawei P20 Pro for the same price.
https://consumer.huawei.com/en/phones/p20-pro/

Huawei made the last good Nexus phone with the Nexus 6P.

And if you don't want to spend the obnoxious $750+ price of current top end smart phones you can go for a Nokia 7.1 which also has 4GB of memory with an aluminum body for half the price at $350
https://www.nokia.com/en_us/phones/nokia-7

Google needs to get it's shit together.

that notch in the top of the screen for the camera/ect. is distracting to say the least

Back