Google Pixel 2: New Leaks Confirm Pricing, Colors, and Storage Options

Sooo....Understandable for Apple but not Google?

You didn't clarify, so I'm going with the App store only. Targeting apps within the app store. And allowing ads within with Apps. I leave that app or the App store and that's the end of it? I personally don't see that as intrusive. And I often have the choice to pay money for an app to "opt out" of the ads. I'm not taking an all or nothing stance here, if that is what you are asking me.

You didn't clarify, so I'm going with the App store only. Targeting apps within the app store. And allowing ads within with Apps. I leave that app or the App store and that's the end of it? I personally don't see that as intrusive. And I often have the choice to pay money for an app to "opt out" of the ads. I'm not taking an all or nothing stance here, if that is what you are asking me.

You are still being sold, the ads are targeted based on data collected from their phones and browsers etc etc Apples network has been growing and covers all sorts of things to even Apple TV and watching habits now etc. The difference in the two is that Apple started in HW and has gotten into data, Google started in data and is now getting into HW. But both collect and sell data and ad space, but you state it's ok for Apple to do....But not for Google....

Woot had refurb Pixel 1 XLs for $440 a few weeks ago.
I pulled the trigger and am glad I did. $900ish for a new phone??? Forget it.
And for that price it doesn't even have a 3.5mm jack, so I get to shell out for a dongle and/or bluetooth buds on top of the $900.

And I'll tell you what - I'm TOTALLY missing the Nexus lineup and Philosophy right now...

The current Pixle is only available through Verizon and it has a locked down bootloader so you can't even root/ROM it, so that's garbage.

Wasn't the point of rooting/romming Android phones to remove the shitty carrier UI skins? The Pixel is pure Google which is what the tinkerers want, no?

Blah. I just want a durable phone, with 2 day battery life and at least 2 major versions of android updates guaranteed in the $400 range.

I don't need the giant screens, dual cameras, fancy UI, and bloatware.

You want the Motorola Z. You can get the optional battery pack which snaps on and gives you 2 full days battery life and wireless charging. On you can get the jbl speaker add on which gives you an additional 10 hours.

This is the new age of buying cheap, almost out of date phones, because there is no way in hell to justify these 1000 bucks phones.

I need to replace my Nexus 6 and i'm looking at either a risky 6P or perhaps, used iphone 6s.
Still rockin that nexus 6. But it randomly shuts off if I have camera app open too long, or switch btwn apps. I'm pretty sure it's the battery, so I'm getting a replacement. Try a new rom on the nexus 6 or unencrypting it + blackbird kernel + new rom.

Wasn't the point of rooting/romming Android phones to remove the shitty carrier UI skins? The Pixel is pure Google which is what the tinkerers want, no?
Rooting a phone allows you to install dedicated ad blockers like adaway, install custom recoveries, and from there custom kernels. Custom kernels can really make an old device perform a lot faster, especially if the manufacturer decides to kill support or just stop caring. They can be a bit risky, but if you're broke as shit and just want a faster phone, you can go all out.
You can even install custom radios / custom hardware firmware if you want to dive deep. I believe it was the galaxy nexus that did not support bluetooth Low Energy, but the hardware did. Google got lazy and never created support for it. I think there were folks on XDA who successfully added bluetooth LE.

Last edited:

I've always wondered this, too. I await a reply!

In addition to what commissioneranthony said above, there is plenty to improve upon in stock Android. I like the improvements Pure Nexus ROM has given me on my Nexus 6P; hold power button for flashlight (with screen off), hold volume buttons to skip ahead/back in media with screen off, hold back button to force kill an app, Pixel style (animated) home button, fully customizable notification light/charging indicator, much more customizable notification buttons/actions, complete control over what notification icons are present (I like to hide the persistent alarm icon or anything else and center the clock), Bluetooth device battery indicators in the status bar, one handed mode (shrinks the screen), and prolly a few more things I'm missing.

Ad blocking, full app data backup, custom kernel tweaks (very handy on the 6P to raise thresholds on the throttle happy 810 SoC), much higher display brightness, granular display profiles/controls (I like my display a bit cooler tone than stock), and much more visibility in battery statistics (no more apps hiding behind "Android OS", "Android System", or "Play Services") are very handy sometimes as well.

Plus I don't like being at the mercy of Google or any other OEM when it comes to what OS updates I get and how fast. I tend to keep my phones for at least 2 years, so when my phone stops getting official updates, I like having the option of updating it myself if need be.

As far as stock Android had came, there's still a lot of features/customization that can be added to it that a lot of custom ROMs give you. Google is also starting to fragment features across their newer and older phones despite the hardware being there to support it. Like APTX BT support (for much higher quality, low latency sound over BT) on the Nexus 5X/6P in the latest Oreo update; you can easily enable it with root, but Google only enabled it in the Pixel devices. There's also the instant shutter with Auto HDR in their camera app; 5X/6P don't have instant shutter (has a couple second delay) despite the hardware supporting it like I'm the Pixels, so I had to install a ported Pixel camera app (dev called it Camera NX) in order to have instant shutter Auto HDR on my 6P. They also messed around for a bit and wouldn't put fingerprint scanner gestures or night light mode on the 6P for a bit after the Pixels got them. So I can see them withholding more features from previous gen hardware in the future as well. Having the capability to root/ROM my phone means not being at Google's mercy as to what features I get on it as long as the hardware is there to support it.

So what's the best good vanilla, or mostly vanilla android experience out there, the Pixel XL? This old S4 is on it's last legs with frequent sim not found errors, and I'm not going Samsung again or any other vendor that loads the phone up with a bunch of shit.

So what's the best good vanilla, or mostly vanilla android experience out there, the Pixel XL? This old S4 is on it's last legs with frequent sim not found errors, and I'm not going Samsung again or any other vendor that loads the phone up with a bunch of shit.

Pixel XL. Essential Phone's built-in camera isn't anything to write home about, which is a minus. I won't realistically recommend Pixel 2 from the C/P pov.

That sucks. Ah well. I just got a refurbished Nexus 6P a few months ago due to the battery issue so I guess I will wait another year.

Fuck me, a new phone costs as much as daycare now, Jesus.

Think its time to boycott everything their is no reason cell phones should be costing near 1000$ I hope we start waking up and start fighting back with our hard earned money.

Last edited:
Reactions: T4rd
like this
If you can afford it, just go Pixel and forget about it. Virtually everyone seems happy with them unless they get one of the rare lemons (as with any device). The alternatives are too risky to be worth the savings or other marginal advantages. I learned that the hard way with this Moto X Pure, which would've been a really good purchase had it not been abandoned 6 months after release.

I feel like any of the Pixel lineup will likely run great for the 2-3 year support window and leave buyers without a pressing urge to upgrade, unless some radical new feature comes to smartphones soon. A common refrain from Pixel users is that they're still as snappy/smooth and stable as day one after a year of use. That longevity is what I crave, as someone who doesn't really game or demand cutting-edge hardware every year.

If you can afford it, just go Pixel and forget about it. Virtually everyone seems happy with them unless they get one of the rare lemons (as with any device). The alternatives are too risky to be worth the savings or other marginal advantages. I learned that the hard way with this Moto X Pure, which would've been a really good purchase had it not been abandoned 6 months after release.

I feel like any of the Pixel lineup will likely run great for the 2-3 year support window and leave buyers without a pressing urge to upgrade, unless some radical new feature comes to smartphones soon. A common refrain from Pixel users is that they're still as snappy/smooth and stable as day one after a year of use. That longevity is what I crave, as someone who doesn't really game or demand cutting-edge hardware every year.
That's exactly what I don't have with the S4. I don't really care about omg new feature, gaming or any of that garbage,.. a better camera would be nice though. I do care that the phone I have now is nowhere near it was at release. It's so sluggish on some things and even a reset didn't have any impact.

That's exactly what I don't have with the S4. I don't really care about omg new feature, gaming or any of that garbage,.. a better camera would be nice though. I do care that the phone I have now is nowhere near it was at release. It's so sluggish on some things and even a reset didn't have any impact.

You should be happy with the Pixel. It's well received in terms of quality of photo. It's not going to be the king when it comes to audio quality, and there's no micro SD card, but it's a solid phone.

After all the 5X debacle, I'd rather not own another LG phone. The Pixel was handled by HTC which was a hell of a lot better phone (sure more costly, but that 5x.. ugh).

The current Pixle is only available through Verizon and it has a locked down bootloader so you can't even root/ROM it, so that's garbage.
FYI - only the Pixels purchased directly from Verizon have locked bootloaders. If you purchased from the PlayStore, or a 3rd party that's not a 'Verizon Version', then your bootloader is unlockable and you can install ROMs/etc. to your heart's content.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/unlock-bootloader-your-google-pixel-pixel-xl-0174627/

FWIW - I know the cost can be more, but I never recommend people to buy the carrier editions of unlocked devices (e.g. Nexus/Pixel).

they're competing just fine. Solid sales numbers for samsung and apple.

most people aren't bargain hunters.
I think the real problem is that people are becoming more and more conditioned to financing a phone like it's a damn car or house. Tim Cook's "whats the big deal?" reaction was the first time I've heard of a CEO just outright say you should be financing equipment like this. People dont even really consider it subsidizing the cost of the phone anymore, they think of it as a loan, and im pretty sure eventually they will be treated as loans with interest and such, so that those $1000 iphones will cost them $1500 after 4 years of payments. Tacking on more debt for frivolous devices like a cellphone is not what the economy needs now, or ever.

Rooting a phone allows you to install dedicated ad blockers like adaway, install custom recoveries, and from there custom kernels. Custom kernels can really make an old device perform a lot faster, especially if the manufacturer decides to kill support or just stop caring. They can be a bit risky, but if you're broke as shit and just want a faster phone, you can go all out.
You can even install custom radios / custom hardware firmware if you want to dive deep. I believe it was the galaxy nexus that did not support bluetooth Low Energy, but the hardware did. Google got lazy and never created support for it. I think there were folks on XDA who successfully added bluetooth LE.

In addition to what commissioneranthony said above, there is plenty to improve upon in stock Android. I like the improvements Pure Nexus ROM has given me on my Nexus 6P; hold power button for flashlight (with screen off), hold volume buttons to skip ahead/back in media with screen off, hold back button to force kill an app, Pixel style (animated) home button, fully customizable notification light/charging indicator, much more customizable notification buttons/actions, complete control over what notification icons are present (I like to hide the persistent alarm icon or anything else and center the clock), Bluetooth device battery indicators in the status bar, one handed mode (shrinks the screen), and prolly a few more things I'm missing.

Ad blocking, full app data backup, custom kernel tweaks (very handy on the 6P to raise thresholds on the throttle happy 810 SoC), much higher display brightness, granular display profiles/controls (I like my display a bit cooler tone than stock), and much more visibility in battery statistics (no more apps hiding behind "Android OS", "Android System", or "Play Services") are very handy sometimes as well.

Plus I don't like being at the mercy of Google or any other OEM when it comes to what OS updates I get and how fast. I tend to keep my phones for at least 2 years, so when my phone stops getting official updates, I like having the option of updating it myself if need be.

As far as stock Android had came, there's still a lot of features/customization that can be added to it that a lot of custom ROMs give you. Google is also starting to fragment features across their newer and older phones despite the hardware being there to support it. Like APTX BT support (for much higher quality, low latency sound over BT) on the Nexus 5X/6P in the latest Oreo update; you can easily enable it with root, but Google only enabled it in the Pixel devices. There's also the instant shutter with Auto HDR in their camera app; 5X/6P don't have instant shutter (has a couple second delay) despite the hardware supporting it like I'm the Pixels, so I had to install a ported Pixel camera app (dev called it Camera NX) in order to have instant shutter Auto HDR on my 6P. They also messed around for a bit and wouldn't put fingerprint scanner gestures or night light mode on the 6P for a bit after the Pixels got them. So I can see them withholding more features from previous gen hardware in the future as well. Having the capability to root/ROM my phone means not being at Google's mercy as to what features I get on it as long as the hardware is there to support it.

Well, that certainly answers my question but you guys are a incredibly niche group who bother even caring about that stuff. I mean, I never in a million years would have thought that if I rooted my Android phone I could get better audio quality through a bluetooth headset (which I doubt I could tell the difference). With that being said, I so believe that the romming/rooting community really grew at first to get rid of the shitty performing skins of the carriers. I mean, I remember the HTC Sense and the others Android skins back in the day that REALLY bogged phones down in performance and I remember rooting my phone to get rid of apps I couldn't remove by default. But now that carriers are putting less bloat on their phones, and you have companies like One Plus and Google's Nexus and Pixel phones the need to root almost certainly has died down. At the very least, the people who used to rom for that reason don't anymore because there are so many stock / near-stock phones out there. Pretty much all my friends who used to rom their phones stopped after the first Nexus phone released.

Anyway, I say let people do what they want their phones and if you enjoy the headache of rooting phones for a couple added features then have at it, but I think it's way less necessary these days than in the past.

So Google is the most valued brand in the world. They will sell your ass to anyone that gives them money. And they still want to charge YOU as much as Apple does. At least Apple is honest about getting their money. I'd rather pay them upfront to join the club, than worry about what they will do behind my back. I like Apple's business model. We want lots of money. Give us that and we will give you something enjoyable. That's straightforward. Anyone can understand that exchange. You either like it or you don't.

like others have pointed out apple does it just as much as google, along with microsoft, facebook, amazon and any other major company that can sell what ever meta data they can get on page viewing/searching habits.. difference is google doesn't try to hide what they're doing unless you're dumb and still think it's 2004 and ad's are random and website based, lol.. either way i hate it no matter what company does it.

The problem is that by pricing phones lower, you get an 'affordable' tag attached to you - and no-one wants to be the Hyundai of phone makers (even though Hyundai makes a bloody fortune, and so it's an extremely viable strategy...)

Think its time to boycott everything their is no reason cell phones should be costing near 1000$ I hope we start waking up and start fighting back with our hard earned money.
Not going to happen. Kids and many adults are addicted to their phones. They are willing to pay what ever it takes. You take their phone away and they won't know what to do with their self's. They have to be on their phone constantly.

Amusing.
I don't think Google has the attention to detail and quality assurance process to charge that much, or that close to Apple's offerings.

I would not go with a 'name brand' brand new phone unless there's a specific feature you absolutely need or some awesome deal you cannot pass up.
Any phone released in the last two years has about the same performance as the latest and greatest from the CPU/GPU/RAM standpoint, just might be missing a feature like fingerprint scanner or whatever, which is not critical for usage. (But a very nice convenience!)

The phone full price has really gone up maybe $100-150 in recent years, but with phones no longer being subsidized by carriers, consumers are more likely to see the full MSRP, now more than ever.
This all began when device makers and carriers in the US basically parted ways. You could always pay full MSRP for a phone, but really who did that? $149, $199 and $249 were so much more attractive.

Smart buyers however, would do the math and see the cost difference was on the carrier side of the equation, so they'd still paying close to/over MSRP but with a couple more available perks like insurance or replacement plans from the carrier.

Here we are years later with the mentality of device makers being Apple's fault, thinking that since the market could bear iPhone prices, they could hike them up also. With that said, these manufacturers have also HAD to raise their base quality and performance too, so it's not all bad.

The reality on cost is that, hey better/more technology = more cost. Same as with computer hardware, manufacturers are asking more for the same types of devices, simply because there's more packed in there, better technology, or manufacturing and component costs have increased and that 'Apple-tax' is just barely, maybe $30-60 extra for other devices.

These days we're paying about $100-$150 more than we would have five years ago, on top of the non-subsidized prices that were usually hidden anyway and paid monthly to the carrier.

There are many great alternative options out there, some are releasing devices with comparable (in some cases more powerful) specifications as the name brand flagships.
I stay up to date on mobiles, that's a bulk of my Twitter feed, and when I started discovery to replace my S4 about 13-14 months ago, I had seen a lot of traffic over the OnePlus brand.
I checked them out, and was happily throwing money at them to purchase a OnePlus 3T 128GB model when it was released, including new USB-C cables, Dash & DashCar Charger and a +2 yr warranty for $650.

I highly recommend OnePlus, but you gotta do your research and make sure ANY device you want to purchase is going to work for YOU.
I recommend GSM Arena for research, decent compare tool.

So you know where I'm coming from...
I had the following four phones spanning about 17 years...made a change every 4-ish years.
My last device was an S4, subsidized by AT&T.
Before that I had an unlocked Nokia N8, an unlocked Nokia N900 (Linux, yea baby!!) and a Nokia 3120.
I like unlocked phones for the carrier freedom, not to tinker with ROMs.

Well, that certainly answers my question but you guys are a incredibly niche group who bother even caring about that stuff. I mean, I never in a million years would have thought that if I rooted my Android phone I could get better audio quality through a bluetooth headset (which I doubt I could tell the difference). With that being said, I so believe that the romming/rooting community really grew at first to get rid of the shitty performing skins of the carriers. I mean, I remember the HTC Sense and the others Android skins back in the day that REALLY bogged phones down in performance and I remember rooting my phone to get rid of apps I couldn't remove by default. But now that carriers are putting less bloat on their phones, and you have companies like One Plus and Google's Nexus and Pixel phones the need to root almost certainly has died down. At the very least, the people who used to rom for that reason don't anymore because there are so many stock / near-stock phones out there. Pretty much all my friends who used to rom their phones stopped after the first Nexus phone released.

Anyway, I say let people do what they want their phones and if you enjoy the headache of rooting phones for a couple added features then have at it, but I think it's way less necessary these days than in the past.

I agree that we're an incredibly niche group, I wasn't trying to insinuate otherwise. But Google's phones have typically been for a rather niche group of people as well, and as such they have the best ROM community on XDA since they're the most root/ROM friendly compared to most other carrier phones. As such, there are still thousands of enthusiasts on XDA that like to unlock these phones and get the most out of them and it seems that Google is still somewhat catering to them by offering their phones with an unlockable bootloader (instead of depending on exploits like with all those other phones you referred to). For what it's worth, I've been on the same ROM since April this year with much less "headache" than I ever had on the stock ROM with all of the additional functionality I've gained.

Just to reiterate; this conversation only started because I pointed out that the Verizon Pixels were locked down as far as the bootloader is concerned. Obviously that's not an issue to the vast majority of people, but it is to me and that's the only reason I pointed it out.

I cannot accept the idea of financing, since the kind of interests charged for something with this 'trivial' is disgusting. It reeks of feeding into the financial irresponsibility of the populace, which I want no part of.

I too, hope to see more than 24 months of use out of my devices. Smartphone wise I've gone from S2 (2012) to Note 4 (2015) and now to V20 (2017). I lean more to buying former flagships vs buying a midrange, but midrange phones are getting really good now, to the point where I don't think you are compromising by going for such.

I cannot accept the idea of financing, since the kind of interests charged for something with this 'trivial' is disgusting. It reeks of feeding into the financial irresponsibility of the populace, which I want no part of.

It's 0% dude.

Yeah, at least most of the financing plans right now are interest-free. In reality, there's no downside to taking advantage of them. It's just that the masses are easily deceived by seeing $34.99/mo. instead of having to face the reality of dropping $800 for a phone every year or two, so I'd argue the prevalence of financing options helps maintain demand for high-priced phones that otherwise might stagnate or decline.

Staying with the iPhone 7 Plus. I'm just exhausted from paying $800+. It's paid off and it does everything I need from a phone.

It's 0% dude.
*rolleyes*
-2 year contract if not more, subject to approved credit.
-Early cancellation fees may apply
-Contract plans having to lucrative enough for 0% financing to work

It only makes sense if you are ever committed to one carrier enough and the said carrier has priced the plan to the point that BYOD doesn't net you any saving.

*rolleyes*
-2 year contract if not more, subject to approved credit.
-Early cancellation fees may apply
-Contract plans having to lucrative enough for 0% financing to work

It only makes sense if you are ever committed to one carrier enough and the said carrier has priced the plan to the point that BYOD doesn't net you any saving.
I'm talking about buying from the Google Web Store (which is what the source article is talking about) or through Project Fi. It's 0%.

I'd never finance a phone from a carrier and be locked into a contract.

Last edited:
Not going to happen. Kids and many adults are addicted to their phones. They are willing to pay what ever it takes. You take their phone away and they won't know what to do with their self's. They have to be on their phone constantly.
Phone addiction, but to a larger extent, smartphones are now the defacto computing device. Billions of laptops and desktops remain powered off or in sleep mode while the activity that used to be homed on them now takes place on the smartphone.

So the smartphone is in many ways just the miniaturization of the laptop. And considering a lot of people don't blink about paying $1000+ for a laptop, not hard to understand they'd pay laptop prices for a smartphone since it's where all their computing happens.

Last edited:
Phone addiction, but to a larger extent, smartphones are now the defacto computing device. Billions of laptops and desktops remain powered off or in sleep mode while the activity that used to be homed on them now takes place on the smartphone.

A lot of people wouldn't blink about paying $1000+ for a laptop historically, and so when you consider the smartphone is now their laptop, it's not surprising they're willing to pay laptop pricing.
Yep I agree. This causes kids to not even know how to use use a computer. My nieces only used iPads and iphone. When they tried to get on my computer they got mad that it didn't work cause they try to open stuff by poking my monitor.

So the smartphone is in many ways just the miniaturization of the laptop. And considering a lot of people don't blink about paying $1000+ for a laptop, not hard to understand they'd pay laptop prices for a smartphone since it's where all their computing happens.
But ten years ago, people didn't tend to buy brand new high-end laptops every 12-24 months. They also didn't tend to do so separately for every member of the family. I'm a tech enthusiast and power user who values my computing devices more than the average person, and I still think it's insane to commit $700 or $800/yr. (significantly more if I were raising a family) to just one of my devices.

There are lots of factors at play that all culminate in this rather insane culture. There's planned obsolescence of phones due to sealed batteries and easily-cracked screens. There's the absolutely brilliant move U.S. carriers made early on of "subsidizing" phones and obscuring their true cost, leading the masses to view them as expendable and in need of yearly upgrades (the fact that subsidies are gone now doesn't change the core psychology of it). And finally, there's the phenomenon of phones as a status symbol and part of your identity (particularly with one brand); this is far more prevalent than it ever was with desktops or laptops, because they're so conspicuous in social settings.

I won't deny that many people get a ton of utility out of these devices, but it's still remarkable how much more of his paycheck average Joe is willing to put toward computing now than before the smartphone revolution.

Back