Google Pixel 2: New Leaks Confirm Pricing, Colors, and Storage Options

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Droid Life has ruined Google’s October event by leaking what appears to be the company’s entire incoming hardware lineup: this includes the Pixel 2, Pixel 2 XL, new Daydream View, and Google Home Mini. The Pixel 2 XL (black, white) will start at $849, while the Pixel 2 (kinda blue, white, black) will start at $649. Thanks gritan.

The LG-made Pixel 2 XL will come in a “Black & White” colorway that might be the hottest panda colorway we’ve ever seen. The phone will also arrive in “Just Black,” and be available with 64GB or 128GB storage. The 64GB model will cost $849, while the 128GB model will jump to $949. The Pixel 2 will arrive in Kinda Blue, Just Black, and Clearly White. It’ll be sold with 64GB and 128GB of storage and priced at $649 and $749, respectively.

Not feeling hot about this price, and I don't think it has anything newer than Snapdragon 835.

I think they're trying to lower demand to keep up with low supply at this point, lol.

The worst part is they think they're Apple in terms of never discounting their products with any promotional pricing. I've only ever seen Pixel deals from Google where they just bundle more stuff in with the fully MSRP of the phone. This is further compounded by not being sold through all carriers like any other true flagship phone in the US, so you can't even finance one if you wanted to (I know Google offers financing as well, but it's still much less convenient than doing it through your carrier). The current Pixle is only available through Verizon and it has a locked down bootloader so you can't even root/ROM it, so that's garbage.

I remember looking for a Pixel XL with max storage last winter. Nobody had any for something like 6 months. Hopefully that isn't the case with the smaller or larger models.

Looking at the sizing, I really wish the medium-sized model wasn't cancelled. The XL 2 is slightly too large and the normal Pixel 2 is still rocking excessively large bezels.

Yay, another $1000 flagship phone for 2017/2018. I guess my decision is made...

You know, it's a good thing Chinese manufacturer's are stepping up their game because the big boys (Apple, Google, Samsung and LG) are surely not trying to compete anymore...

This is the new age of buying cheap, almost out of date phones, because there is no way in hell to justify these 1000 bucks phones.

I need to replace my Nexus 6 and i'm looking at either a risky 6P or perhaps, used iphone 6s.

You know, it's a good thing Chinese manufacturer's are stepping up their game because the big boys (Apple, Google, Samsung and LG) are surely not trying to compete anymore...

It's more accurate to say that midrange phones by and large have really stepped up the game and have become real good phones.

This is the new age of buying cheap, almost out of date phones, because there is no way in hell to justify these 1000 bucks phones.

I need to replace my Nexus 6 and i'm looking at either a risky 6P or perhaps, used iphone 6s.

I thought in the same vein, so I ended up getting a brand new international version of LG V20 at $350. You can buy last year's flagship at way better prices, and I chose last year's flagship instead of this year's midrange. I think iPhone 6S is the best bang for the buck from Apple.

Blah. I just want a durable phone, with 2 day battery life and at least 2 major versions of android updates guaranteed in the $400 range.

I don't need the giant screens, dual cameras, fancy UI, and bloatware.

Blah. I just want a durable phone, with 2 day battery life and at least 2 major versions of android updates guaranteed in the $400 range.

I don't need the giant screens, dual cameras, fancy UI, and bloatware.

If the Android One initiative catches on, you might get your wish.

Problem is that the Pixel line has decimated the ability to get "deals" anywhere in Google's current or former offerings. I was all ready to switch to the 6P a year ago, only to find they never got discounted after the Pixel announcement... they just emptied out stock at MSRP, and now you can't find them new (not to mention used ones are highly risky WRT batteries). I'm sure it'll be the same deal with Pixel 1. I'd love a 128 GB XL in the $500 range a few months from now, but that won't happen... they'll just disappear from retail by November.

In hindsight, the 6P for $500-600 at release in the fall of 2015 was probably the best deal we'll ever see on a flagship stock Android product. Sure wish I'd just sprung for it back then.

I guess I'll be sticking to my cheap Chinese phones for awhile. Snapdragon 820, 4GB RAM, can make calls, all for < 400$.

Sounds like a V20 they are under $300 ...4GB 64GB SDCARD Snapdragon 820 ...capacitive buttons on screen, fingerprint reader on back, dual cameras front and rear , sd card slot like the s8's and notes .

Kenny

I don't get their phone strategy. Originally the Nexus line was a draw for people to switch over to Fi because it was a cheap alternative. Isn't Moto making a cheap Project Fi capable phone? To me that was one of the draws about switching to Fi--getting a Fi capable phone was not actually very expensive. But asking people to ditch their other carriers (except for Verizon) for this is a bigger ask I think, or locking Fi subscribers into a very expensive upgrade when they may actually prefer other phones in that price tier. (Looking at you Note 8).

Problem is that the Pixel line has decimated the ability to get "deals" anywhere in Google's current or former offerings. I was all ready to switch to the 6P a year ago, only to find they never got discounted after the Pixel announcement... they just emptied out stock at MSRP, and now you can't find them new (not to mention used ones are highly risky WRT batteries). I'm sure it'll be the same deal with Pixel 1. I'd love a 128 GB XL in the $500 range a few months from now, but that won't happen... they'll just disappear from retail by November.

In hindsight, the 6P for $500-600 at release in the fall of 2015 was probably the best deal we'll ever see on a flagship stock Android product. Sure wish I'd just sprung for it back then.
They discounted the 6P before the Pixel came out. I brought my 6P for $450 and 5x for my mom for $200 through google Fi before the Pixel came out. There was just a $200 discount the the Pixel XL a few weeks ago. The could have another sale in the weeks leading up to the Pixel 2.

I'm tired of paying flagship prices, myself. My current phone's an LG G5, but my next one will probably be a Moto G. For stuff that wants more power, I bought a Galaxy Tab S2.

they're competing just fine. Solid sales numbers for samsung and apple.

most people aren't bargain hunters.

They discounted the 6P before the Pixel came out. I brought my 6P for $450 and 5x for my mom for $200 through google Fi before the Pixel came out. There was just a $200 discount the the Pixel XL a few weeks ago. The could have another sale in the weeks leading up to the Pixel 2.
Well, I'll be damned. I totally missed the Pixel discount. That was a solid deal, even if the hardware is a year old now.

Actually, I recall they did a good "back to school" deal ($100-150 off) with the 6P last summer for a few days... and then you could never find those prices again, ever, even after Pixel came out.

I just wish you could buy last year's model for like 30-40% off once the new one has been out for a bit, like you seem to be able to with Samsung, LG, etc.

Fan of the Pixel (my main phone right now), but I only got it because I get Google phones for the newest OS and updates, when they moved to highend phones I was not very happy, price over the 6P was high, but not a whole lot gained. Sure, it's CNC milled body (who cares), rounded glass edges (annoying as fuck and rules out glass screen protectors), better camera (actually one good thing) and a few other features, but over all I would be fine with some mid range HW and much cheaper price and access to vanilla Android. I don't see myself getting one, my current Pixel does just fine and when its time to replace I have a number of other phones I will be looking at.

I was one of the thousands that had mic issues with the first Pixel phones so Google can kiss my ass for the shitty way they handled that situation.

Well, I'll be damned. I totally missed the Pixel discount. That was a solid deal, even if the hardware is a year old now.

Actually, I recall they did a good "back to school" deal ($100-150 off) with the 6P last summer for a few days... and then you could never find those prices again, ever, even after Pixel came out.

I just wish you could buy last year's model for like 30-40% off once the new one has been out for a bit, like you seem to be able to with Samsung, LG, etc.
I agree. I am also hoping for a $500 Pixel XL since I cracked the screen on my 6P.

Buuuut $1000 iPhones are too expensive.

Oops guess $949 isn't really that cheap.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL

It's ridiculous given what you get for the money.
I don't disagree. Although most of the phones when bought off contract were butting up against the $700-$900 range even 4 years ago when bought off contract.

If you buy your phone cash outright it really puts into perspective how much they cost. My iPhone 6s Plus 64 gb was $965 or something. It'll make it another year at that price.

Google seems to be following Apple in price, but how about in some other policies like A) selling direct from the Google Store with a "perpetual upgrade" option and B) offering their products through other carriers, at very least T-Mobile and Sprint. Presently, they offer payment via installments but no matter what you have to pay off the whole damn device - no "lease and upgrade" option to turn in the phone for the newest model without having to finish paying it off. If they are going to be raising the price off the Pixel 2 / XL, they'd better damn well compete. Hell, I want to see the hardware/software equal or better to the iPhone X in every way to show the Pixel line has really come into its own, if they're asking these kind of prices.

I have to say though, good on the Pixel 2 XL 's "White and Black" model. Nice aesthetic there. I do wiish there were more specs so I could really compare Pixel , Galaxy, iPhone X , Essential, and others in the market in terms of design, features, specs, and build quality. Ah well... I suppose it will be revealed in time.

Same here. I have the 6p (what's risky about it?) and I was waiting for the pricing on this before I jumped the gun on a used 6s+.

Same here. I have the 6p (what's risky about it?) and I was waiting for the pricing on this before I jumped the gun on a used 6s+.
Risky because of the battery and bootloop issues I'm assuming. Mine has been fine so far but I've had it just six months now.

What is the form factor on the XL? Is it another long skinny one or nice and wide like the old Nexus 6?

Risky because of the battery and bootloop issues I'm assuming. Mine has been fine so far but I've had it just six months now.

What is the form factor on the XL? Is it another long skinny one or nice and wide like the old Nexus 6?

Looks long and skinny.

I have had my phone for nearly two years and no boot loop issues. I have had weird battery issues though. Like, if my phone gets cold and by cold I mean a room with the AC on, it might randomly shut off without warning no matter the battery life.

It will randomly shut down seconds after the 15% battery warning, too. So, I have to keep it warm and above 15% lol

So Google is the most valued brand in the world. They will sell your ass to anyone that gives them money. And they still want to charge YOU as much as Apple does. At least Apple is honest about getting their money. I'd rather pay them upfront to join the club, than worry about what they will do behind my back. I like Apple's business model. We want lots of money. Give us that and we will give you something enjoyable. That's straightforward. Anyone can understand that exchange. You either like it or you don't.

So Google is the most valued brand in the world. They will sell your ass to anyone that gives them money. And they still want to charge YOU as much as Apple does. At least Apple is honest about getting their money. I'd rather pay them upfront to join the club, than worry about what they will do behind my back. I like Apple's business model. We want lots of money. Give us that and we will give you something enjoyable. That's straightforward. Anyone can understand that exchange. You either like it or you don't.

You do understand that Apple has one of the most rich ad data networks of them all right? And it's a pretty big income for them, you pay Apple and tell them, I want to target this sort of person, into this, this age range etc etc, give them money and have ads targeted, just like most others. Apple is without a DOUBT not passing up ad and data money.

You do understand that Apple has one of the most rich ad data networks of them all right? And it's a pretty big income for them, you pay Apple and tell them, I want to target this sort of person, into this, this age range etc etc, give them money and have ads targeted, just like most others. Apple is without a DOUBT not passing up ad and data money.

You are talking about in Apps or something like embedded Safari ads? I'm not familiar with ads outside of the Apps or App Store. And in App ads have benefit to the developer, which is annoying, but I get.

You are talking about in Apps or something like embedded Safari ads? I'm not familiar with ads outside of the Apps or App Store. And in App ads have benefit to the developer, which is annoying, but I get.

Sooo....Understandable for Apple but not Google?

Back