Google Paying Apple $1 Billion to be Default Search Engine?

CommanderFrank

Cat Can't Scratch It
Google will pay Apple a reported $1 Billion to be the default search engine on Apple platforms. This is a great deal of money to pay out to Apple, but the rewards are just as great considering what Google stands to lose.

Despite the hefty fee Schachter has suggested Google continues to make a considerable profit from its placement on Apple devices with an annual $1.3 billion gross revenue generated from the deal.

Seems kind of a waste...I mean who else would be Apple's default? Bing?

Seems like a waste in the beginning, but if they're making 1.3B annually after the first year, it's a pretty good deal in the end.

Seems kind of a waste...I mean who else would be Apple's default? Bing?

Imagine long term if tablets keep growing like they have. that's throwing a lot of potential money away. They already saw a drop in traffic from iOS due to siri requests being redirected to Wolfram, and contrary to belief it will search Bing or Yahoo if you ask it to, so they do have something to lose long term if they let someone else have the spot.

seems a waste to me, anyone with half a brain uses google to search ... i once tried to search for KB article on BING, couldnt find it. tried google, found it first result.

Microsoft's search engine cannot find even its own products ...:confused:

the new Bing image-search is much better than the old one, compared to Google it's missing the "similar" option when hovering the cursor over an image and searching by exact size but it's not bad for what they call a beta.
so who knows, Google might be in the 2nd place one day.

GoogleAnalytics + GoogleAds will make Google back its money from paying to be Apple's default search engine.

seems a waste to me, anyone with half a brain uses google to search ... i once tried to search for KB article on BING, couldnt find it. tried google, found it first result.

Microsoft's search engine cannot find even its own products ...:confused:

Microsoft is pushing really hard for BING. BING is default on almost everything Windows. People being how they are, they will gladly use BING, or not even notice it's BING.

When you start seeing Windows 8 tablets, people aren't going to take the time to type in google.com on a touch screen. It's such a huge waste of their time. To them, if it works then they don't care.

If Google wants to put a stop to this, they have to dethrone Microsoft's Windows OS. It's the only reason BING is making any headway as it is. That Chrome OS isn't cutting it.

I think Bing would be adopted faster if it did not have such an awful name. It's embarrassingly dumb.

Bing annoys me to no end. I'm one of those people that likes to try something different as all ideas need a platform to grow. But Bing can't find basic things that Google just seems to excel at. But every so often I religiously fire it up so that I can get my headache.

I used to like Bing image search over Google's, but lately it seems like Google's image search is more spot on than Bing lately. I do keep trying it every now and then to see if that changes though.

Apple Search anyone?

Sounds like the price for Apple NOT starting their search engine...

I think google gets paid way too much from advertisers if they can afford to give 1b dollars just for that.

Apple Search anyone?

Sounds like the price for Apple NOT starting their search engine...

Rubbish, considering Apple's been using Google search since the beginning. Poor Google's flinched into giving Apple so much money to extend Google's default search for another year.

Those of you who insist Apple's gone since Job's gone - I think you guys have another think coming. Google's billion-dollar livelihood is based on another company's mercy whether they let Google thrive on their hemisphere or not. If everyone decide to go Bing or Yahoo, Google is as good as gone, or severely damaged. They've based their entire survival on whether or not another company would accept them as partners or not for the year.

Apple certainly has the capital to start a search engine, but they don't have the brains. Operating a large scale search engine with research and development, infrastructure, and advertising the search engine itself costs billions. Still, they could do it, but it'd put a huge dent in their coffers until it became profitable. Even Bing has yet to be profitable, but that may change in the near future.

I wish I invested in Google when I first started using them from my friend showing me the site in 1999...

It's probably so Apple doesn't develop their own more intuitive search engine...

I wish I invested in Google when I first started using them from my friend showing me the site in 1999...

It's probably so Apple doesn't develop their own more intuitive search engine...

If you mean stocks then it wouldn't been possible till 2004 when google went public.

But I still feel you. I wish I invested in Krispy Kream and sold the stocks at the right time.

I hope, with iOS6, Apple gives users the ability to use any search engine that want (via the quick search bar). I hate that you're limited to Yahoo, Bing and Google. There are some decent search engines out there, but having to navigate to the page to search is sort of a PITA.

Considering google beat microsoft even when msn/live/bing was the default search engine, I'm sure iphone users will still use google search evne if Apple came out with their own.

Back