Google Patents Sticky Car Hood For Hitting Pedestrians

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is the dumbest patent I have seen in a very long time. Why not just use fly-paper or a thick coating of super glue gel? :rolleyes:

In the event of a collision between a vehicle and a pedestrian, injury to the pedestrian is often caused not only by the initial impact of the vehicle and the pedestrian, but also by the ensuing, secondary impact between the pedestrian and the road surface or other object

This is horrendous and a lawsuit waiting to happen. What if someone gets stuck to the car and you end up dragging them along for a few blocks...

This is horrendous and a lawsuit waiting to happen. What if someone gets stuck to the car and you end up dragging them along for a few blocks...
or their organs are turned to pudding or at least lacerated and brusied and their brain stem sheared off due to sudden deceleration with no mechanism to divert those forces.

If this stops the body from bouncing back after being hit what absorbs that energy?

If this is added to their self driving smart car tech so they car would automatically detect the collision and stop.

If this stops the body from bouncing back after being hit what absorbs that energy?

Maybe they the adhesion layer is padded or part deployable airbag?

I don't think it's practical but still would be entertaining to see a honest attempt at getting it to work. Like when Mythbusters did crash dummy myths attempting to do the impractical.

New and revolutionary technology from Google makes even a minor collision with a pedestrian or cyclist fatal.

Automobile injury lawyers file for bankruptcy en masse

Anyone who has played Paintball knows that bounces hurt worse than the ones that hit and stick. The physics back it up, too.

But that doesn't justify the sheer idiocy of this patent!

Anyone who has played Paintball knows that bounces hurt worse than the ones that hit and stick. The physics back it up, too.

Right, but that's because the ones that stick splatter all over and this spreads out the impact and uses up some of the energy...that's probably not what you want to have happen to a pedestrian when you hit them. (Not that a stick hood would cause that, but, just saying)

there was a news story (and later a movie made about it) about a person that hit somebody while drunk and the person got stuck in their windshield. Person didn't realize what happen till the next morning when they went out and found the person in their windshield. I can just see more stuff like that, only with people stuck to hoods.

or their organs are turned to pudding or at least lacerated and brusied and their brain stem sheared off due to sudden deceleration with no mechanism to divert those forces.

Yea, well, there are many patents on the books for inventions that just didn't pan out. Some are still just waiting on technology to provide a solution to a previously unsolvable engineering problem.'

Personally, I don't think this would actually prevent a secondary impact. instead I think it will just create a "whiplash" effect perhaps even increasing the force of the secondary impact.

I am also imagining that deer that just flew someone's windshield with a car bumper stuck on his ass :LOL:

"I dodged that deer antlers and all. But that bumper knocked my face right off!"

Newton's First, Second, and Third ... they aren't just a suggestion ... they're the LAW

Why not just shoot a giant balloon at them. This is what you get when you let software companies write patents without enough mechanical engineers and physicists on the team ;)

Yea, well, there are many patents on the books for inventions that just didn't pan out. Some are still just waiting on technology to provide a solution to a previously unsolvable engineering problem.'

Personally, I don't think this would actually prevent a secondary impact. instead I think it will just create a "whiplash" effect perhaps even increasing the force of the secondary impact.

I am also imagining that deer that just flew someone's windshield with a car bumper stuck on his ass :LOL:

"I dodged that deer antlers and all. But that bumper knocked my face right off!"

never thought about that part. You hit a deer or other large animal and instead of it bouncing off you are now pushing it forward. So that deer is no longer a deer but is a 300 lb meat sled you are trying to push.

but yes this doesn't mean they actually will make this. However it is still a poor idea

there was a news story (and later a movie made about it) about a person that hit somebody while drunk and the person got stuck in their windshield. Person didn't realize what happen till the next morning when they went out and found the person in their windshield. I can just see more stuff like that, only with people stuck to hoods.

Mmmm that was a woman, who very well knew what she had done. She parked her car inside of her garage and made arrangements to dispose of the body.

Mmmm that was a woman, who very well knew what she had done. She parked her car inside of her garage and made arrangements to dispose of the body.

Maybe the based on true event movie changed the story some, or I just wasn't thinking of either correctly. It has been about 8 years since that happen I think.

Newton's First, Second, and Third ... they aren't just a suggestion ... they're the LAW

Why not just shoot a giant balloon at them. This is what you get when you let software companies write patents without enough mechanical engineers and physicists on the team ;)

An airbag built into the hood that inflates upwards and a timer/sensor to pop and release it after the impact.

Fire that critter about 30 foot into the air and let the next guy take his chances huh?

You guys are missing the point, imagine all the mayhem you could cause with your ultra-sticky hood of entrapment. Want to teach a jay-walker a lesson about crossing the street in the wrong place with his face buried in a cell phone? I bet he won't do it again after going 167mph down the highway on the hood of a car. Would be great for pranking friends and family too.

Awesome post, Thank You. I like that someone who's in the business thought of it first.

But maybe I have a twist on the idea.

Combine the sticky idea with the airbag idea.

Car senses the impact with a larger animal or pedestrian, airbag inflates, object hits airbag area and the airbag diverts the path of the object so that it is pushed over the roof and doesn't actually impact the windshield, furthermore, the airbag is stick to the object while the airbag has a fixed deployment distance meaning it's going to push the object over the roof and then tuck the object safely down onto the trunk area of the car. It snags to pedestrian and keeps them from slamming into the windshield but doesn't let them fly off to get hit by the next car that comes along. You could even have a secondary airbag on the trunk deck inflate so they don't get slammed down to hard. Remember they are probably injured from the initial impact so you have to be as gentle as possible.

Bugs. So, many, BUGS, stuck all over my car. I hate bugs.

That's an issue that is quite easy to resolve: just replace the sticky substance with long, sharp metal spikes.

Would also be more entertaining.

Rick Overton used to have a bit about cars made out of Nerf. That would make far more sense if you ask me.

That's an issue that is quite easy to resolve: just replace the sticky substance with long, sharp metal spikes.

Would also be more entertaining.

What about like a semi-rigid koosh ball type setup? :D

What about like a semi-rigid koosh ball type setup? :D

How about something akin to reactive armour... or am I misunderstanding the purpose of this patent? It is intended to murder people, correct?

They should just slap giant rubber dildos to the hood to dick slap pedestrians that get in the way.

ford010032hx3.6679.jpg

Or the patented this for testing with crash test dummies only, so the dummies don't go flying and have secondary impact issues.... or hell who knows, maybe sticky is the way to go and we'll see people stuck to the hoods of cars going down the road :D

Awesome post, Thank You. I like that someone who's in the business thought of it first.

But maybe I have a twist on the idea.

Combine the sticky idea with the airbag idea.

Car senses the impact with a larger animal or pedestrian, airbag inflates, object hits airbag area and the airbag diverts the path of the object so that it is pushed over the roof and doesn't actually impact the windshield, furthermore, the airbag is stick to the object while the airbag has a fixed deployment distance meaning it's going to push the object over the roof and then tuck the object safely down onto the trunk area of the car. It snags to pedestrian and keeps them from slamming into the windshield but doesn't let them fly off to get hit by the next car that comes along. You could even have a secondary airbag on the trunk deck inflate so they don't get slammed down to hard. Remember they are probably injured from the initial impact so you have to be as gentle as possible.

Still going to have the pesky physics issue of sudden deceleration. If you don't rapidly dissipate, redirect, and/transfer them its transferring the cause of injury/death. Pedestrian and traffic injuries/fatalities continue to grow due to cell phones and lack of situational awareness. It much easier to engineer items to mitigate damage than it is to eliminate detrimental human behaviors.

Here's a dandy little website that provides an overview of the nasty things that occur in MVA's(not completely gory, but may not be for everyone) Pattern of injury in motor vehicle accidents

whoever approves the patents, need be fired, I take one look at that and go, WTF is happening in this world and who in the fuck is really benefitting by allowing moronic things like this even get remotely close to approval.

Aibag one, I can picutre, but me being a cruel mofo, if you cant put the cell phone down crossing the street or not knowing the street/sidewalk you are walking upon is not clear, then do we really want/need your dumbass putting our lives at risk like that, no not really
Hell I would do the opposite, have something that senses said pedestrian using their phone and launch them up up and away :D

it may be a rush world these days, but that still should not mean people are being impressive fucktards AND suing others for THEM being the fucktard
bloody hell..on a mental not type picture, I would NOT want a car smacking into me and being stuck to the hood, what happens if it were a drunk driver(which happens way to often) "catches" you cause they were the idiot, now your stuck to a vehicle that you likely would have been better bounced
off of "HELLLLLLPPPPP!" doing 40+kmh/mph down the road :O

again, bloody idiots IMO.

Is Google just going full retard lately? And just the other day they literally had a doodle up of Yuri Kochiyama on Google, an aggressively anti-American vocal terrorist supporter (said she deeply admires Osama Bin Laden), loved Che Guevara a brutal murderer that executed and jailed homosexuals and silenced all dissension and advocated nuclear holocaust, as well as Fidel Castro, and has always been a vile hate filled racist, just because she parrots their Marxist ideals. WTF Google...

The government already regulates pedestrians hitting the hood of a car. There is a mandated "squishy" easily deform-able region between the pedestrian and anything hard. If that doesn't work having them stick might only just serve to tear off skin. Brilliant.

Is Google just going full retard lately? And just the other day they literally had a doodle up of Yuri Kochiyama on Google, an aggressively anti-American vocal terrorist supporter (said she deeply admires Osama Bin Laden), loved Che Guevara a brutal murderer that executed and jailed homosexuals and silenced all dissension and advocated nuclear holocaust, as well as Fidel Castro, and has always been a vile hate filled racist, just because she parrots their Marxist ideals. WTF Google...
That was f'd up. If you clicked the first thing that came up was she was a Black Seperatist. And in the Jim Crow context, not the 'safe spaces' context.

Back