Google OnHub Teardown

HardOCP News

[H] News
The fine folks at iFixit got their grubby little mitts on a Google OnHub and promptly tore it apart. Hit the link to see the complete teardown.

Google is on a mission to reinvent the router, and we got our hands on their first foray into the home-networking market—the Google OnHub. With a sleek design, hefty price tag, and a whole host of unique features, we're excited to see what this router is rockin'. It's teardown time!

I have begun to distrust Google so much, that even MS and Apple are looking like model citizens...

In before tinfoil paranoid remark about Goo...

Oh. Nevermind.

In before tinfoil paranoid remark about Goo...

Oh. Nevermind.

I don't think you need to call people who distrust Google tin-foil-hatters. Google is very open and honest about how much information they keep about you and exactly how available they make it to other people. As well as what is required for other people, especially law enforcement, to gain access to the information they store.

The antenna arrangement looks neat, though some reviews have shown that isn't panning out to real world range and speed. I suspect the niche for this is in highly congested areas like urban apartments and such where they can be dozens of competing networks coming in from all sides.

I don't think you need to call people who distrust Google tin-foil-hatters. Google is very open and honest about how much information they keep about you and exactly how available they make it to other people. As well as what is required for other people, especially law enforcement, to gain access to the information they store.

It's a bit of a contradiction when you put it that way.

A reason to distrust somebody is if they were to LIE about how much information they had and how available they make it to other people.

Instead you say Google is very open and honest...

It doesn't matter who the device is made by. What counts is how the device performs in real-world applications. If the device performance is sub-standard then the company needs to re-think their design and apply appropriate corrections.

It's a bit of a contradiction when you put it that way.

A reason to distrust somebody is if they were to LIE about how much information they had and how available they make it to other people.

Instead you say Google is very open and honest...

No, reason to distrust something is when that thing has too much power over your life. Google doesn't have to betray you to destroy you, they could be coerced into helping somebody else destroy you through legal or illegal means. If you're in full with Google they have enough information to set someone on the right track to utterly destroy your life. If you think Google will never pass that data on, you're deluded. Google probably wouldn't even know it's circulating for weeks, months, or years after it's been compromised.

I don't distrust Google as an entity, they're no more evil than any information profiteer. I distrust their activity, I mistrust Google because I understand it and I understand the nature of data storage.

Google is not VISA, they make no guarantees about your information security, if you end up compromised your entire recourse is to get your name on a database to tell people it happened.

No, reason to distrust something is when that thing has too much power over your life. Google doesn't have to betray you to destroy you, they could be coerced into helping somebody else destroy you through legal or illegal means. If you're in full with Google they have enough information to set someone on the right track to utterly destroy your life. If you think Google will never pass that data on, you're deluded. Google probably wouldn't even know it's circulating for weeks, months, or years after it's been compromised.

I don't distrust Google as an entity, they're no more evil than any information profiteer. I distrust their activity, I mistrust Google because I understand it and I understand the nature of data storage.

Google is not VISA, they make no guarantees about your information security, if you end up compromised your entire recourse is to get your name on a database to tell people it happened.

You have beyond thoughts of grandeur if you think Google is out to "destroy your life". That's borderline schizo.... They sell information you provide to them for marketing, if that information could destroy your life, well you're doing something wrong in social contract.

You have beyond thoughts of grandeur if you think Google is out to "destroy your life". That's borderline schizo.... They sell information you provide to them for marketing, if that information could destroy your life, well you're doing something wrong in social contract.

He never said anything about Google "out to destroy your life". No matter how innocuous your online history may be, it still could be used against you in some way. And there are many, many evil and twisted people out there that could make that happen.
Just my tin foil 2 cents.

The most reliable review sites for networking gear has labelled this thing as basically over-priced shit... But I'm sure the hipsters out there will love the fact that it looks like a vase.

Most people in the know are waiting for the ASUS version of this.

The most reliable review sites for networking gear has labelled this thing as basically over-priced shit... But I'm sure the hipsters out there will love the fact that it looks like a vase.

Most people in the know are waiting for the ASUS version of this.

This is likely the review being referred to:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wire...-google-tp-link-onhub-router-reviewed?start=2

It scores dead last in AC1900 router performance and page 2 of the review list many of the missing features on this thing.

I picked up an apple router some time ago (yes I know...) after mine died and actually have been decently happy with it. Would I buy it again? probably not since it seems to not really have a whole lot of support or updates ever. I would consider the google router but that might need to come down a bit in price. Thus far I really haven't ever had a 'bad' router, it really isnt a complex device.

Kind of miss my wrt54g.....

After having a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter ER-POE5 and a Unifi AP-AC I am convinced that the router and the WAPs should not be in the same device. Rarely is a demarcation point in the middle of a home. Its usually on the side edge of a house.

Router should stay near the demarcation point. WAP goes in the middle of the home. Done and done.

Back