Google News Going Dark In Spain Over 'Google Tax'

HardOCP News

[H] News
I guess only time will tell if this was a smart move or not. I'm willing to bet that most of the traffic those sites get is because of Google.

Google said Thursday it will shut down its Google News service in Spain to prevent publishers' content from appearing on it — ahead of a new law requiring the Internet search company to pay Spanish news organizations for linked content or snippets of news.

As soon as the baby boomer generation leaves power we might see people who understand how the internet works in corporations.

As soon as the baby boomer generation leaves power we might see people who understand how the internet works in corporations.

Nah, their brainwashed demon spawns will follow their lead and get elected using daddies money...

Keep in mind, according to the article, Google doesn't make revenue directly from Google News. I for one have never seen actual ads on the Google News. So, if the Spanish government is going to make them pay people for giving them free advertising, I can't blame them.

I mean, I get that we live in a micro-conversation world now, but how many people get all their news just from headlines and partial opening statements? People follow through with clicks to the actual article, don't they? I mean, if I wasn't going to click the headline on Google News, I wasn't going to come to your site to click it either. Why punish Google for giving you revenue?

I mean, I get that we live in a micro-conversation world now, but how many people get all their news just from headlines and partial opening statements? People follow through with clicks to the actual article, don't they?
do you actually believe that or were you being intentionally ironic?

do you actually believe that or were you being intentionally ironic?

We live in the age of Twitter and Talking Points. You see more "TL;DR" showing up than ever before. Articles are becoming shorter and more concise. Most people would rather send a quick text or snap chat than have a conversation over the phone. That's not to say there isn't a place for in-depth articles and discussions, but we're seeing it occurring less and less.

Yes, this is becoming a micro-conversational society. Whether we like it or not, it's where we are.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out for the Spanish news sites. I'd guess they're going to be getting less traffic and hence less income. Probably didn't think Google would actually do this.

We live in the age of Twitter and Talking Points. You see more "TL;DR" showing up than ever before. Articles are becoming shorter and more concise. Most people would rather send a quick text or snap chat than have a conversation over the phone. That's not to say there isn't a place for in-depth articles and discussions, but we're seeing it occurring less and less.

Yes, this is becoming a micro-conversational society. Whether we like it or not, it's where we are.
right, so pair your response to the portion of your first post that I quoted and you can't realistically come up with a scenario where people are taking the time to click through a headline and read the entire article...

...add to that you voicing that opinion on a site where members regularly delve into lengthy threads without clicking through to the article, or even reading the opening post, and you can see why I asked if you were being ironic.

right, so pair your response to the portion of your first post that I quoted and you can't realistically come up with a scenario where people are taking the time to click through a headline and read the entire article...

...add to that you voicing that opinion on a site where members regularly delve into lengthy threads without clicking through to the article, or even reading the opening post, and you can see why I asked if you were being ironic.

That's a fair point, which is why I posed the second half of the "micro-conversations" comment as a question. Once again, I get that this is where we are, but I've got a hard time believing this means that people don't click through to the actual article, to at least read another sentence or two of said article. Even if they aren't reading the whole thing (which would explain a lot of outstanding beliefs people have about our world and society), people are clicking through, right?

A German publisher tried that, but they backpedaled pretty quickly.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/05/us-google-axel-sprngr-idUSKBN0IP1YT20141105

From the linked article:
Doepfner said the resulting dramatic drop in traffic to his company's publications was proof of Google's overwhelming power in the search market. He said he hoped lawmakers, courts and competition regulators would take action to curb its powers.

A Google spokesman in Germany praised Springer's decision [to remove their exemption from Google News results].

Interesting reactions. So Doepfner recognized his company, Springer, gains tons of revenue through clicks from Google News, but basically despises Google for it. He is frustrated that consumers choose to go to Google News to find out what's going on in the world, and then come to his products to gain more information through that choice. What would he prefer? That consumers skip over Google entirely and come directly to his sites? Wouldn't everyone wish that.

There was nothing stupid about this decision, it was tactical. When this first happened I'm pretty sure I read about how Spain's paperback news lobby is quite lucrative. Most people over there still buy newspapers from stands and vendors, the industry wants to keep it that way. They dont want to provide an online news venue, doing so only intrudes on the more profitable paper venue. The way they see it a loss in online viewers only means an increase in paperback viewers. They understand asking google to pay them to advertise their own news sites is ridiculous, and that google would of course shut them out, thus forcing people to find their news elsewhere.

Wealth of Nations came out over 200 years ago, and yet most politicians today still don't understand economics.

Keep in mind, according to the article, Google doesn't make revenue directly from Google News. I for one have never seen actual ads on the Google News. So, if the Spanish government is going to make them pay people for giving them free advertising, I can't blame them.

I mean, I get that we live in a micro-conversation world now, but how many people get all their news just from headlines and partial opening statements? People follow through with clicks to the actual article, don't they? I mean, if I wasn't going to click the headline on Google News, I wasn't going to come to your site to click it either. Why punish Google for giving you revenue?

Because biting the hand that feeds you is how latinos roll.

I fucking hate my corrupt government. The profoundly stupid law that originated this is just politicians returning favors to big money.

They also know they will need the allies in a year when the elections come, because we are all fed up with the two big parties being all the same in the end. A new party has been stealing some polls and they are both afraid. You know they are afraid because rhetoric is in full throttle even a year before elections.

When the other party was in power, the Spanish equivalent of the RIAA made them pass a tax (going to them!) on anything that could conceivably be used to copy copyrighted content: blank CDs and DVDs, printers, cameras, video cameras... whatever.

Last thing I heard was that law was repealed in a European level court, but I don't really know. I just stopped buying blank optical media (I already didn't need to buy printers or cameras.)

I mention that because it is the same kind of dumb law in result to money favors when the candidates were campaigning. That's the rumor, obviously.

Because biting the hand that feeds you is how latinos roll.
You are a racist prick.

Back