Google Might Announce a Game Streaming Platform Next Month

Pay for streaming service, pay for microtransactions, pay for lootboxes, provider sells data (ie. indirectly you pay), etc etc etc.

Fuck this perpetual money-sucking shit. NO.

Cheers to that. The AAA gaming industry is more predatory and less focused on quality by the day. I just want to buy something, own it, and pay for it once... hell, I’m even willing to pay extra for that privilege. If I’m not playing online or multiplayer I DO NOT want to be connected to your server via my game.

I used to roll my eyes at the idea of GoG, now I’m increasingly turning to it. Valve/Steam will support anything so long as they get their 30%; all the other “stores” are complete shit. Like you mentioned, just vehicles to peddle MT, skins, subscriptions, and data collection

/rant

:mad:

I dunno, has always made fps games unplayable for me. If I dont have all post-processing and frame smoothing turned off I can barely play on my tvs.

I guess my point is people play with these modes and dont even notice it, 8-10frames may not even be noticed by the same crowd either. Slower games it wouldnt matter. It does open up more gaming to people who may not be able to afford higher end pcs or consoles.

To be fair, some TVs are much better then others. My LG OLED in game mode has ~1 frame delay (14-18ms) in 4k, and ~2 frame delay (24-36ms) delay in 4k HDR. Other TVs are still junk. It really does depend.

Cheers to that. The AAA gaming industry is more predatory and less focused on quality by the day. I just want to buy something, own it, and pay for it once... hell, I’m even willing to pay extra for that privilege. If I’m not playing online or multiplayer I DO NOT want to be connected to your server via my game.

I used to roll my eyes at the idea of GoG, now I’m increasingly turning to it. Valve/Steam will support anything so long as they get their 30%; all the other “stores” are complete shit. Like you mentioned, just vehicles to peddle MT, skins, subscriptions, and data collection

/rant

:mad:

I note you have NEVER been purchasing a product, you've been purchasing a license to run a piece of software, as is. Its just now that everything is digital that this is much more apparent.

Games are just one thing I'll never stream for as long as possible.

I note you have NEVER been purchasing a product, you've been purchasing a license to run a piece of software, as is. Its just now that everything is digital that this is much more apparent.

Wrong. You've been purchasing perpetual licenses, which are products. [H] user Delicieux spells it all out in an informative post here:

https://linustechtips.com/main/topi...rwise-are-urban-myth-or-corporate-propaganda/

Fair points, both of you. I suppose I was thinking of buying games/software as it was in the pre-DRM / pre-download era of the 90s and early 00's. No fine print, no practical/DRM restrictions, perpetual license implied

Fair points, both of you. I suppose I was thinking of buying games/software as it was in the pre-DRM / pre-download era of the 90s and early 00's. No fine print, no practical/DRM restrictions, perpetual license implied
Two things:

1. There was fine print then too, that's what the EULA was, or sometimes just a card included with the game stating as much.

2. Those EULA are not legal documents. If the law says it's a product, it's a product, the end. What those do is provide ass-covering in the event of some sort of civil suit against the publisher. If any practice in them runs contrary to the law, then they're not worth the paper they're printed on. This is actually a largely uncontested area in law, that companies are not eager to have challenged.

That'll never happen IF you buy games from GOG right now and download all the installers.
There's a huge catalog of games you can stick on your NAS. Trust me, I know :D

And thanks for that - your NAS is my go-to for games too!

(Check your permissions)

(kidding, of course)

I wont even stream movies because of very poor quality video and sound.
I use a PC to have the best gaming and video experience.
Streaming will be lower res, lower colour quality, higher latency and will probably cost more in the long run.
Nothing here worth looking at.

And I dont want to give Google any more info or confirmation of anything they already collected.
Much rather they are kept in the dark wondering if their data collection is as good as they hope.

The problem is the hardcore gamers that care the most about graphics also care about latency. The only people that will tolerate the latency are the more casual players that tend not to care about graphics as much. So what's the point of using a streaming service if you can achieve the same thing with cheap hardware.

I feel like cloud gaming is inevitable but hardcore gamers are never going to settle for it. It's going to be a casual market like phone games.

Back