Google May Face Over $400M Indonesia Tax Bill For 2015

HardOCP News

[H] News
I'm telling you, the flood gates are open and everyone wants a piece of Google, Apple, Facebook and everyone else that does business in these "tax friendly" countries now. I predict that we are going to see a lot more of this in the near future.

Indonesia plans to pursue Alphabet Inc's Google for five years of back taxes, and the search giant could face a bill of more than $400 million for 2015 alone if it is found to have avoided payments, a senior tax official said. Muhammad Hanif, head of the tax office's special cases branch, told Reuters its investigators went to Google's local office in Indonesia on Monday. The tax office alleges PT Google Indonesia paid less than 0.1 percent of the total income and value-added taxes it owed last year.

Good to see. Companies paying their tax may also feel that they fight on unequal terms with these tax avoiding companies. Not to mention the society impact due to loss of taxes.

The problem is all these countries are doing so AFTER the fact. You can't change tax laws and then say "Oh, you have been doing it wrong for the last 10 years". Not defending these companies, but we're at a point where we're getting a lot more competitive with other countries. Pissing them off isn't a very good idea.

Personally, I'm more in favor of VAT based taxes. Your taxes should be based on where your product is consumed. So regardless that Apple sold 5M iPhones in the states and reported it under income in Italy, it won't matter because it's entirely based on how many you sold and where it was sold.

RUh-Ruh. I think this is in part an indication US' power/influence is streched thin, the other countries see that I think.. Big companies not paying their protector his dues is not helping either :/ .
The privileged position huge US-based companies gain in different countries did not come magically, because they are so nice and special.
If our power projection (and actual power) declines, slowly but surely all these companies will be eaten alive elsewhere.
China is already pissing all over the place like a dog marking their territory.. our 'challenging' of their power is looking weaker and weaker.
No much we can do really, all out war is an insane proposition, even if only with conventional weapons..
We like to joke, and snicker about other countries military power, but they are progressing a lot, and on the cheap compared to us.
Russia seems to have developed a tolerance to low-level conventional war (Ukraine), as well as significantly more patience, less 'opposition for opposition sakes' mentality.. that too seems to be tripping us up.
Meh, just BS talking, its how I see some things anyway.

Back