Google Maps Pulls Cupcake Calorie Counter After Backlash

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Due to backlash from the community Google has pulled its Cupcake Calorie Counter from Goggle Maps. I'm probably like most of you and don't have any idea what this is all about. Anyway, Google tried an experiment where users would see a pink cupcake icon that automatically showed how many calories could be burned if they walked to their destination. Apparently this didn't go over well because some people complained it promoted body-shaming. I believe they should have left the functionality in and just had a way to toggle it on or off.

It's spectacularly bad timing on Google's part. It turns out that Wednesday is National Chocolate Cupcake Day (not to be confused with regular National Cupcake Day, which is Dec. 15) -- which would have been a prime opportunity for gimmicks galore to show off Google's cupcake calorie counter. But the Google cupcakes weren't chocolate anyway. They were pink -- whatever flavor that is.

What?

So people got mad, because Google said "If you walk this far you can eat a cupcake!"

ah, after reading, it's just SJWs on twitter who complained.

I have no issue with this, it's just an incentive to walk that far. I think they should revamp it, and give you the option to change it from a cupcake to whatever the fuck you want it to be.

This pisses me off so bad.

We live in the middle of the biggest epidemic in history of weight related life shortening, and life ending disease in the form of cardiovascular disease and diabetes, and every single time someone tries to come up with a nice little reminder to get in shape, these anti body shaming nut jobs make a ridiculous fuss about it.

It is ridiculous and it is harmful and directly resulting in more ill health, ruined lives, death and destruction.

We need to make sure that every tool possible, every angle imaginable is used to combat this epidemic.

Healthy at any weight! says the anti-shaming lobby.

The "Healthy at Any Size" movement is a complete sham based on pseudoscience and wishful thinking. There is no greater contributor to shortened lives and poor quality of life than being overweight. Wishing it weren't so isn't going to change that verifiable fact.

I love how we'll defend dysfunction instead of supporting health and fitness. I love how we find fault and complain about anything positive.

Just a natural extension of the trans movement. Be who you want to be and we will accept you and support you for it no matter the consequences. Healthy at any weight. Be the gender you want to be. Be the race you want to be. Anyone who disagrees is a bigot.

Google should partner with Facebook and Twitter to trove all that social media data they've got so they can put little snowflakes on the map whenever one of these SJW whiners is nearby so you can avoid them.

THAT would be a useful feature.

It's what happens when you let liberals get too much control.

These are not liberals. These are deluded extremist nutjobs. The term "liberal" refers to someone in favor of protecting freedoms. The word liberal is literally defined as pertaining to freedom.

I have heard them referred to as the "Illiberal Left", and that is a term that is more appropriate.

Lol. People never cease to be offended by something.

As a fat kid in my day, nothing shames worse than the mirror. As someone with an unhealthy eating disorder after my fat stage, I can also say that nothing was more triggering than my own mind.

If I saw this cupcake thing 15 years ago it wouldn't have affected me one way or another. If fat people would get in shape they could get in on the shaming action (y)

These are not liberals. These are deluded extremist nutjobs. The term "liberal" refers to someone in favor of protecting freedoms. The word liberal is literally defined as pertaining to freedom.

I have heard them referred to as the "Illiberal Left", and that is a term that is more appropriate.

A lot of people don't understand what libertarians stand for and just eat up whatever the news says. It's easier to create sensationalism if you only have two opposing views instead of explaining what the different ideologies are. That would take too much time for the consumption based society we have. The main pillar of liberalism is basically to leave people alone to do whatever the F they want with themselves.

That's a very preliminary study not drawing much in the way of conclusions and instead is suggesting further research.

IMHO, the media ought to stop reporting on scientific studies until they have been replicated AND and made robust claims. Otherwise that reporting is just harmful. Remember the dueling claims about whether smoking was bad for you, a few decades ago?

Besides, excessive strenuous exercise is not the only way to stay in shape. Moderate exercise and a healthy diet is probably a better method.

I don't think it's difficult to see how those who continue to eat garbage, and ignore other aspects of their health and try to make up for it through excessive exercise may not be doing themselves any favors...

As a fat man trying to lose weight, I hate these people who think its shaming to want a healthy weight. I've had to live with obesity and the problems it's introduced into my life and I really want to be healthy. Being fat is not okay and anything that could help me or others should be welcomes with open arms. God I hate people these days.

What?

So people got mad, because Google said "If you walk this far you can eat a cupcake!"

ah, after reading, it's just SJWs on twitter who complained.

I have no issue with this, it's just an incentive to walk that far. I think they should revamp it, and give you the option to change it from a cupcake to whatever the fuck you want it to be.

seriously, fat AND sensitive? welcome to reality, harsh sometimes, but not worth denying. can't change without knowing what it really takes to change (hint: self control and no overnight successes)

I love how we'll defend dysfunction instead of supporting health and fitness. I love how we find fault and complain about anything positive.
hell yea, brother!

Just a natural extension of the trans movement. Be who you want to be and we will accept you and support you for it no matter the consequences. Healthy at any weight. Be the gender you want to be. Be the race you want to be. Anyone who disagrees is a bigot.

What the fuck are you talking about? That's not even an apples to oranges comparison. Only 1 of those 'movements' is a personal choice that can cause health conditions that that will dramatically shorten your lifespan, and can be fixed with diet/exercise. No idea why you bring up LBGT stuff, other than to try and justify being a bigot.....

As a fat man trying to lose weight, I hate these people who think its shaming to want a healthy weight. I've had to live with obesity and the problems it's introduced into my life and I really want to be healthy. Being fat is not okay and anything that could help me or others should be welcomes with open arms. God I hate people these days.

You've got a lot of friends man. But unfortantly a lot of your personal friends will probably try to talk down to you and try to discourage you - because a lot of people have tried and failed to do what you're doing. ...I've experienced this effect first hand.

Thankfully in this day and age it's relatively easy to find people on the internet to talk to!

Good on you, JosiahBradley.

this generation really likes to complain.. a lot

It's not just this generation but it seems like my generation too. We forget the hardships of our grandparents. Walking a mile in the snow for school. Not getting rewards for failing.

More people need to go to the military!

Lol. People never cease to be offended by something.

As a fat kid in my day, nothing shames worse than the mirror. As someone with an unhealthy eating disorder after my fat stage, I can also say that nothing was more triggering than my own mind.

If I saw this cupcake thing 15 years ago it wouldn't have affected me one way or another. If fat people would get in shape they could get in on the shaming action (y)

But self delusion is an acceptable thing these days. Everyone can look in the mirror and see absolute beauty no matter how large they are. Now I'm not advocating or condoning self hate... but a balanced self critique is necessary for best health.

It's what happens when you let liberals get too much control.

Just the SJW's. Other liberals are busy doing yoga and drinking their vegan espresso and gluten free cookie.

It's not liberals. It's just people bitching when something draws attention to the fact that walking can help you lose weight. They shouldn't be told that or shown that. It should be all on their own free will. Some people are just dumb fucks that eat and eat and lead a sedentary life then bitch and moan that they are fat and they don't know how to lose weight. They tried, but it just didn't work. The Big Mac with a diet Coke just isn't working.

But self delusion is an acceptable thing these days. Everyone can look in the mirror and see absolute beauty no matter how large they are. Now I'm not advocating or condoning self hate... but a balanced self critique is necessary for best health.

There is a huge difference between insulting or bullying someone because they are overweight and providing tools that willing people can use to lose weight and become healthier.

Those shouldn't be at odds with eachother.

I'm a huge proponent of weight loss for the sake of health, and know without a shadow of a doubt that the "healthy at any size" movement is complete psuedoscientific nonsense, but I also know how hard it can be to stay in shape, especially when Lifehappens, and don't judge or mistreat those who are overweight.

We should be able to promote healthy weight without being mean.

Last edited:
So if Google had just made this a toggle switch on the app..."calories burned estimator"....everyone would be cheering them for their health-conscious and optional foresight.

Instead, some idiots put a cupcake on it and made it default.....and now you've pissed people off because it feels like a dig.

This is something Zuckerberg would do and then give us that "I'm a billionaire...why am I having to apologize again? *SIGH*...FINE...." look and song dance that Steve Jobs used to have to do rarely.....

The "Healthy at Any Size" movement is a complete sham based on pseudoscience and wishful thinking. There is no greater contributor to shortened lives and poor quality of life than being overweight. Wishing it weren't so isn't going to change that verifiable fact.
Actually you can be healthy at 350lbs, but you have to be ripped like Magnus Samuelsson (on right).

SamulessonArmbrytning-1024x538.jpg

It is all bout body fat, not wight.

Yeah I'm not really against body shaming. I don't do it, but if you're a fat chick, don't think that I'm ever going to consider you as having any dating potential unless you can get rid of that fat and keep it off. Once I put a ring on it, it shouldn't double in size. Or even 20%. I'll hold myself to the same standard.

Edit: Oh yeah, I've walked home from work before. Takes me 45 minutes.

Actually you can be healthy at 350lbs, but you have to be ripped like Magnus Samuelsson (on right).

*img*

It is all bout body fat, not wight.

Yea but he's obviously totally jacked which is one of those terrible symbols of "toxic masculinity" that we're absolutely supposed to hate nowdays.

Watch where you are throwing around that "we". Not all of us are twitter retards, but that is what you are basically implying when you give all of us credit for their comments using a generic "we".

Yeah I'm not really against body shaming. I don't do it, but if you're a fat chick, don't think that I'm ever going to consider you as having any dating potential unless you can get rid of that fat and keep it off. Once I put a ring on it, it shouldn't double in size. Or even 20%. I'll hold myself to the same standard.

Edit: Oh yeah, I've walked home from work before. Takes me 45 minutes.

I don't think there is anything wrong with only dating people you find physically attractive.

I mean, if physical attractiveness is the ONLY thing someone considers when they date, then they might be a bit shallow, but there has to be some level of physical attractiveness when you date someone. That's kind of what kicks things off. And I'm with you. I don't find overweight women attractive in the slightest, so I don't date them (or didn't, when I was single)

You (the general you, not you personally) don't have to call someone a fatty, or put them down though. You know, the filter. Just because we think something doesn't mean we have to say it out loud. There is no need to insult someone and make them feel badly about themselves for no reason.

Back