Google 'Makes People Think They Are Smarter Than They Are'

HardOCP News

[H] News
Don't roll your eyes, we all know someone that thinks they are Einstein just because they can Google something. :D

Search engines like Google or Yahoo make people think they are smarter than they actually are because they have the world's knowledge at their fingertips, psychologists at Yale University have found.

Don't roll your eyes, we all know someone that thinks they are Einstein just because they can Google something. :D

At the same time it also exposes the stupid and lazy. You know those guys that will look up from their facebooking on their phone for 5 seconds to ask a dumb question. Like why didnt you just google it?

The writer of this article is confusing knowledge with intellegence, it's a real mess.

It isn't just Google, smartphones and tablets do the exact same thing to people.
They really think they know everything because they can install an app on their iPhone.

Automation doesn't make a person smart, it just makes the tasks at hand very easy. ;)

It isn't just Google, smartphones and tablets do the exact same thing to people.
They really think they know everything because they can install an app on their iPhone.

Automation doesn't make a person smart, it just makes the tasks at hand very easy. ;)

To a lot of older people, being able to install an app makes you the smartest person in the known universe.

Actually, I think google helps keep the retards away.

Fact is, 73% of forum posted statistics are made up, but only 51% of people realize that. Thanks to Google, you can quickly ask to verify such information, and bust out real facts, like the fact I made up the prior statistics. :D

Actually, I think google helps keep the retards away.

Fact is, 73% of forum posted statistics are made up, but only 51% of people realize that. Thanks to Google, you can quickly ask to verify such information, and bust out real facts, like the fact I made up the prior statistics. :D

This is why people should provide sources if they want to be believed. :D

Just call me Dr. Google... I'll be your physician this afternoon. What brings you to see me today?

Sadly, I sometimes feel like I get more accurate information from Google than my old family doctor.

The fact that I can type one line in Google and find something that others have been putting around with for an hour trying to find pretty much confirms that I am smarter than a lot of people.

I work in a research lab and get inundated with questions from fucking undergrads all day. Simple questions that wouldn't take them more than 5 secs find themselves. It's annoying as shit. As previously stated, not using google definitely signals a lack of self motivation. To me at least.

I use google for a lot of things, but I don't think I'm smarter for using it. Now I do feel like I'm getting smarter by actually applying the techniques/lessons learned and using them further down the road.

The more I use Google the more I realize I don't know shit. So much information out there and not enough brainpower or time.

Einstein commented on this directly. When asked if he knew, in memory, what the speed of sound is, he replied something to the effect of 'why would i memorize that? Its readily available in books.'

No reason to memorize something unless you actually need to use it frequently. Understanding the concepts and ideas behind the scenes is much more important, and once you do that memorizing becomes a whole lot easier. Just because you can rattle off the speed sound travels through air doesn't mean you even understand what you are talking about... the speed of sound varies pending the density of the molecules the sound wave is traveling through. Im pretty sure there is an equation actual "intelligent" people use for determining sound speed.

Im in the camp that everyone has equal capacity for intelligence barring an actual physical defect on the brain... and even that may or may not affect intellect pending the severity of the defect. People rely on others to heavily to tell them how and what to think, so it just seems like they are retarded when in actuality they are simply lazy. Your brain isn't much different from your muscles, the more you use it the more you gain and you can use it faster. If more people took the time to simply think and question the world would be a much better place.

So in short, people are just lazy.

Oh I forgot to add, there is a pitfall to intelligence. The smarter you think you are the lazier you become.

Lol at this sham of a study. Whomever participated must have been severely retarded already to not realize they were not allowed to search the real answers. I don't care what the subject is, find a suitable explanation from several reputable sites or sources.

Also they cite the pitfall of false intelligence in the are of high stakes politics? Dafuq? As if some congressman on the ways and means committee is going to personally google some statistics and vote against xyz bill based on that?
Politicians never research or know anything someone else much smarter and knowledgeable did not regurgitate and spoon-fed them. They have teams of people on their payrolls to make them look and sound normal.

What this study truly shows is that those people did not know how to use a freaking search engine. If that's the case, then YOLO google wiki and roll with that.

If taking complication out of something through automation leads to an idiocracy then so be it.
Its an Apple nation, take your bite.

I work in a research lab and get inundated with questions from fucking undergrads all day. Simple questions that wouldn't take them more than 5 secs find themselves. It's annoying as shit. As previously stated, not using google definitely signals a lack of self motivation. To me at least.

And this is where the worm turns.

With information literally at one's fingertips, work ethic combined, the ability to work with others, and the capacity for critical thinking are becoming far more important than stored personal knowledge. Concepts trump details. Still, experience is very important.

I can see a day when "where" you get information is going to become much more important. Information Brokers may become the new tradesmen. Often it's tricky to find out what's real and what's garbage, you gotta know where to look. One day we may have to pay to have access to the good stuff.

I've been telling people for years the ability to find information was more important than stockpiling a bunch in ones head. I'm just old enough to well remember card catalogs and libraries as being the source and having gone there for data to figure technical problems out. It took longer, and a lot less people bothered, but it's not too different I guess than searching online. Lot of folks still can't search online quickly and effectively and find solid data, it's a skill. It'll take forever to change but I fully expect higher education to move at least somewhat toward concepts rather than remembering specifics as another poster suggested. Look at any specialty, if it's sufficiently technical you will find loads of books and manuals at hand for even someone that has been doing it for years. Very few of us are gifted enough to be able to remember everything for any length of time.

The flip side of sorts is the old bit about wanting to use a calculator during a math test, the teacher responds with "you might not have a calculator and need to know how to do this". It's not un-true either. It's becoming less and less likely, but not un-true. It's why I collect actual paper books on how to do things, from tanning animal hides to rebuilding engines to astronomy. I don't go to them daily, but I like knowing they will work if the lights go out. People being people, I'm sure there will manage to be some long term shitty effect of this ease of information access we have now, but I hope the good outweighs the bad.

Some days I feel like my job is to google things everyone else is too lazy or stupid to search for themselves. Doesn't matter if they or I think I'm smarter than I am when I'm the one getting crap done.

The worst part about it is most people will google something, and assume the info they find is accurate without doing any further research.

Intelligence doesn't equal things you know. You can learn basically anything you want on the Internet, but that doesn't make you smarter. Pointless writing.

Back