Google Loses Claim to Groovle Domain Name

HardOCP News

[H] News
An ICANN-approved arbitration body has ruled Google’s claim that the Groovle.com domain name is “confusingly similar” to its own is without merit.

The unanimous three person panel composed of two retired American judges and one American law professor, ruled that Groovle.com "is not confusingly similar" to Google's trademark, "Google." To-date, Google has commenced 65 domain name disputes and this is only the second time that it has ever lost.

idk about this one. Personally, hearing the name "Groovle" I would have immediately assumed it was a product of Google's.

eh people will accidentally go there since 'g' is a connector to 'v' they are similar in that respect at least

eh people will accidentally go there since 'g' is a connector to 'v' they are similar in that respect at least

There's also an 'r' in there.

Pretty hard to accidentally add an 'r' at the beginning and change the 'g' for a 'v'. That's like MS complaining that brine.com is too close to bing.com

I'm glad they sort that mess out. I can't remember how many times I've confused those two websites.
Also everytime I want to buy audio cables, I keep getting the results for mini golf or laundry. Watsup wit dat?;)

If it were a dispute over "goovle.com", then I could understand their case.

Oh, and if Google cares so much, just buy them out! That's what the owners probably want anyhow.

the domain name I can understand not being similar enough to call it a blatant copy, but actually looking thru the site, all it is is a reskin of google. They even tuck the results page underneath their own bar...

the domain name I can understand not being similar enough to call it a blatant copy, but actually looking thru the site, all it is is a reskin of google. They even tuck the results page underneath their own bar...

Who's Google to complain when someone aggregates their content? That's exactly what they claim is a boon for the publishing industry. Google gets the hit, and all of the ad revenue from the ads.

Who's Google to complain when someone aggregates their content? That's exactly what they claim is a boon for the publishing industry. Google gets the hit, and all of the ad revenue from the ads.

But there's no aggregation here, Groovle is only using a pretty front end that looks very similar to the google homepage, then redirecting to a google result page with a toolbar. I don't particularly find the second part too troubling as it's still a google page that's fully intact, albeit with a toolbar up top, but the front page to me looks like a straight knock off of the google design with a fancy background that you can choose.

If anything this is good for traffic on Groovles website. It almost seems that if you make a site with the letters G*oo*** .com you are hunting for a lawsuit though. But if it is without merit google should have to pay back the fees associated with the defense.

If someone did a mock-up of [T]ard|COP in blue with all [H] content.... maybe throw in some Bad Boys background music...

I'm pretty sure Kyle n Steve would be a bit upset too! It's understandable that Google's not happy with Groovle.

But there's no aggregation here, Groovle is only using a pretty front end that looks very similar to the google homepage, then redirecting to a google result page with a toolbar. I don't particularly find the second part too troubling as it's still a google page that's fully intact, albeit with a toolbar up top, but the front page to me looks like a straight knock off of the google design with a fancy background that you can choose.

Yes there is. They've brought together numerous pictures and Google's search function. If I click an image on Google image search I get someone else's website with a bar added to the top by Google.

I can see why Google would make the attempt but it really was far fetched. It's as daft as trying to sue any website that starts with G and contains a couple of O's. Gazoomy.com does the same thing for example, and I'm sure after a night on the tiles and a raging hangover your blurry vision could be used as an excuse for typing in Gazoomy instead of Google!?

The irony is that both Groovle and Gazoomy accrue revenue for Google, so you could say that Google are suing their own right foot.

Here's some funny irony for Mackowitz - I was looking at this shortly before reading this page...

http://www.thedailynude.com/search.aspx?theme=Carmen Electra 2

!!!!

It's the exact same picture on a very similar website!!

Back