Google Lets Anyone Email You Without An E-mail Address

HardOCP News

[H] News
Is there an actual need for this new feature? Aside from stalking, I can't think of a reason for this. Can you?

Have you ever started typing an email to someone only to realize halfway through the draft that you haven't actually exchanged email addresses? If you are nodding your head 'yes' and already have a Google+ profile, then you’re in luck, because now it's easier for people using Gmail and Google+ to connect over email. As an extension of some earlier improvements that keep Gmail contacts automatically up to date using Google+, Gmail will suggest your Google+ connections as recipients when you are composing a new email.

this is terrible... and google+ is getting harder to get rid of

Good lord, can Google stop this fucking suggestion bullshit? Friend suggestions on G+, horrible. Community suggestions on G+, horrible. YouTube video suggestions, horrible.

Turn that shit off already.

Any suggestions of other providers?

No, not interested in either yahoo or outlook thanks.

So glad I've never had an account for any of their products or services.
They are as bad as Facebook.

no this is much worse than facebook, google pretty much forces you to sign up for google+

I'm just waiting for those foreign secure email services. Not that anything is secure these days, but better than us using scroogle.

Nowadays, everytime I want to make a comment on youtube, Google demands that I create a Google+ account. Yeah... not happening. If it weren't for youtube, I wouldn't have anything to do with Google at all.

Hmmm.. I wonder if Google is now an arm of the NSA.

Or maybe the NSA is an arm of Google.

"Have you ever started typing an email to someone only to realize halfway through the draft that you haven't actually exchanged email addresses? "

-Nope can't even say I have. Just like I've never written an actual letter to anyone and then stuck it in an envelope and said to myself "damn I wish I had their address".

It used to be that "unsolicited email" in the past was called "spam" not a "feature".

You control whether people can reach you this way with a new setting in Gmail.

You can easily turn it off.
I hate G+ but I am kinda failing to really see a reason to be outraged.

You can easily turn it off.
I hate G+ but I am kinda failing to really see a reason to be outraged.

Because this is yet another move in Google trying to slam G+ down users throats. The users didn't want the shitty thing when it was optional, so they're making it mandatory - and all it's doing is pissing their real supporters the fuck off.

The G+ shit alone is why I'm looking for alternatives to google services, I didn't want to use it before, I don't want to use it now, and forcing me to use it isn't going to accomplish anything.

Because this is yet another move in Google trying to slam G+ down users throats. The users didn't want the shitty thing when it was optional, so they're making it mandatory - and all it's doing is pissing their real supporters the fuck off.

The G+ shit alone is why I'm looking for alternatives to google services, I didn't want to use it before, I don't want to use it now, and forcing me to use it isn't going to accomplish anything.

This sums up my view.

Any suggestions of other providers?

No, not interested in either yahoo or outlook thanks.

Then deal with google spying on your ass. What's wrong with outlook ? Get the email address through them then just use a client if you hate the webmail.

no this is much worse than facebook, google pretty much forces you to sign up for google+

Just sign up as some random kyle bennett and use this random image...

kyle1.jpg

I just don't see how this makes G+ any more or less mandatory.
I have no one in my circles so I should be able to leave this option enabled and have it never effect me.

Google is just another example of why anti-trust laws are so important, and how even the best companies inevitably become too big and powerful for their own good and end up harming the market more than they help it.

Ideally we'd see Microsoft, Apple, and Google departments cut into various separate enterprises, and have King Leonidas kick all the lawyers and patent office guys into a big hole in the ground to restore competition and innovation to the industry. Instead all I hear of every year is X company buying Y and Z companies and constantly consolidating into these massive giants. Don't get me wrong, there are advantageous to scaling up too, but only to an extent before they become another Walmart or industry that is so politically connected that they become "too big to fail".

No, not even close. Nobody is forcing you to use googles services...
Not any more than the United States is forcing me to use interstate highways. I could always just travel the side roads or rent an airship.

I hate google plus but on the other hand what does it matter anyone can spoof an email address effectively emailing you without an email address anyway. So what difference does it make?

Useless feature for a useless service almost no one wants.

I had a choice: continue making Youtube posts, or delete the bullshit G+ account I had to make that random people I didn't know were following, whom I couldn't remove. And, everything I do on Youtube defaults to public visibility on that G+ profile.

I didn't need to comment on Youtube that badly. Fuck you, Google.

Starting to look into setting up my own mail server so I can tell Google to fuck off completely.

Hah. And everyone used to laugh at me for insisting on sticking with my hotmail (now live (now outlook)) address.

Is there an actual need for this new feature? Aside from stalking, I can't think of a reason for this. Can you?

Oh, I can think of a few.

Just off the top of the my head, there's quite a few KDE and /Linux devs on G+. This makes it quite easy to just pop them with a message rather than digging their email address out of some obscure mailing list archive.

Then there's the situation where you might have a public G+ name or page, but want to keep the email that is behind the webpage hidden. Not a problem now. Email can be sent to the public G+ name, but the email itself stays hidden. Really just a new wrinkle on the classic forwarded mail routine.

Hah. And everyone used to laugh at me for insisting on sticking with my hotmail (now live (now outlook)) address.

We still laugh at you for sticking with that particular product. Although now it's because you STILL have a hotmail/outlook account, not just because it was one of the worst services running.

HAHAHA! I like hotmail, i created some 2 random hotmail accounts with common name, went to facebook and what do you know, hotmail delete inactive accounts like crazy shit, facebook does not, so i recovered password and now i have 2 fb accounts of complete strangers, isn't hotmail just great?

First the retarded Gmail UI changes, then the horrendous new Google sign in page and finally this monstrosity. Seriously, the morons who came up with these ideas/approved them are beyond retarded.

Not any more than the United States is forcing me to use interstate highways. I could always just travel the side roads or rent an airship.

That's a pretty stupid comparison... Take a look at what's out there to replace google services, it's not the dark ages you think it is outside google land.

This continued intrusion is just sad - Google built themselves up to a market leader by making things people WANTED to use, and originally had a relatively reasonable and small "price" in terms of a block of adwords or some such. Now, they're pushing G+, which seems to be losing more and more privacy features, into everything. I wanted G+ to be good - something like Friendica, a federated social network that you could take "all your info" with you, under your control - but sadly, from the start they decided on "real name only policy" and it has gotten worse from there. Onward and downward...

Now, it appears that everything is linked to G+ - Hangouts instead of good old normal XMPP Gtalk etc... Picasa seems to be G+ controlled. Hell, it frustrates me that I can't even comment on Google Play content, like Android apps, if I don't have a G+ account. If they thought they could have gotten away with it, they probably would have made it the ONLY commenting option on YouTube. Sigh... rubbing the market's collective noses in feces isn't going to make it more appetizing.

For those who are beginning to look elsewhere - good, that's the right thing to do. Here's a great website for privacy-friendly alternatives - www.prism-break.org . Most everything there is Free and Open Source software and privacy respecting.

Want email and groupware? Well, besides hosting your own server I strongly suggest MyKolab ( https://mykolab.com/ ) . Its hosted in Switzerland, is relatively affordable for what you get, and is based on the FOSS Kolab software. There are also a couple of alternatives ( RiseUp, and Autistici/Inventati, but these are meant more for activists than anything, so read over if they apply to you. AI is Italian, just to let you know, as the name and language may seem a little odd in English). Oh, you can check out www.kolab.org if you want to see and or download the programs behind MyKolab,.

Want to store your data and have a wealth of other features for a Dropbox/Google etc.. replacement (sans mail server, but that can be added) then I suggest OwnCloud - a FOSS server meant to give you well..a cloud you control! Run it on a local machine if you're technically up for it, but you can also rent hosting from a provider you trust - there are lots of them out there!

Prism-break.org is in the process of a redesign, so you may have to click around several categories (ie both Windows and Server etc..) to see everything in which you are interested. I'm talking with them about a better way to display everything, as I feel the original UI was much better. However, all the good stuff is there and frequently updated.

We still laugh at you for sticking with that particular product. Although now it's because you STILL have a hotmail/outlook account, not just because it was one of the worst services running.

Anything is better than Gmail+

Then deal with google spying on your ass. What's wrong with outlook ? Get the email address through them then just use a client if you hate the webmail.

Not sure what the hell is up your ass, but read my post again and tell me where the hell I said anything about interface or access about your beloved outlook?

Not that I have to explain anything to you, but I will this time, I just don't want to use either one of those, so if you have a suggestion, say it, if not, go back to kiss ballmers ass.

Google is continuing their plan to tie G+ with Android bit by bit. Now they are up to Gmail.

Interesting to see how this continues to develop...

Not sure what the hell is up your ass, but read my post again and tell me where the hell I said anything about interface or access about your beloved outlook?

Not that I have to explain anything to you, but I will this time, I just don't want to use either one of those, so if you have a suggestion, say it, if not, go back to kiss ballmers ass.

I understand not wanting yahoo but there's nothing wrong with outlook besides your anti Microsoft stupidity.

I understand not wanting yahoo but there's nothing wrong with outlook besides your anti Microsoft stupidity.

So, according to you, I'm stupid because I don't want to use outlook?

Boy, your fanboism is really showing.

OMG! OMG! Google is taking over the world. What are we gonna do, just sit back and let them control our lives?

So, according to you, I'm stupid because I don't want to use outlook?

Boy, your fanboism is really showing.

Never said you where stupid I said the anti Microsoft stance for no reason us stupid. You brought it to fanboy level with the dumbass Ballmer comment.

I don't care what you do enjoy knowing your email is being read.

HAHAHA! I like hotmail, i created some 2 random hotmail accounts with common name, went to facebook and what do you know, hotmail delete inactive accounts like crazy shit, facebook does not, so i recovered password and now i have 2 fb accounts of complete strangers, isn't hotmail just great?

wow.

Back