Google Launching Ride-Sharing Pilot To Compete With Uber, Lyft

HardOCP News

[H] News
Uber and Lyft better watch out, Google is getting into the ride sharing business. Normally I wouldn't think much of another company entering the ride-sharing market but, this is Google we are talking about, the amount of resources they have make them an immediate threat.

The Waze pilot program charges riders a maximum of $0.54 per mile (the current IRS mileage reimbursement rate, so a pretty common rate to see mileage reimbursement set to) to be matched to drivers headed their way. That’s lower than Uber’s rate, which is an incentive for passengers to try it. And for now at least, Google’s not taking a slice of the money — which may be incentive for drivers to pick up as many folks as they can cram into their cars.

So are the drivers going to be reimbursed more than what the passengers are going to be charged?

If not, then there is absolutely no point for anyone to sign up as a driver as they will be losing money in the way of fuel costs and wear and tear on their vehicle.

So Google is jumping into a business where the major players are losing money and getting sued left and right.

Makes sense.

So are the drivers going to be reimbursed more than what the passengers are going to be charged?

If not, then there is absolutely no point for anyone to sign up as a driver as they will be losing money in the way of fuel costs and wear and tear on their vehicle.

Key is to trick drivers.

Well now that it's been explained to them that ridesharing drivers are only there to be fucked over while generating market shre until automated vehicles replace them, they want in because they are going to be closer to the source of an automated vehicle supply with lower costs than their competitors.

homer_failure.jpg

So Google is jumping into a business where the major players are losing money and getting sued left and right.

Makes sense.
Lets not forget the backlash that is against them in cities like San Francisco for their commuter buses :D

As a consumer who uses Lyft and Uber, I'm 100% okay with more services like them. They've changed my life for the better. I think that's probably the case in lots of mid-sized cities where there aren't taxis every 50 feet. No more calling in advance and hoping the cab shows up. No more hoping they accept credit cards. No more getting gouged in heavy traffic. I can head downtown for a night out for 1/2 what it used to cost and with no planning or waiting around needed. If there's an issue on the driver's side - that isn't my problem. Nobody is holding their feet to the fire.

If Google is willing to pay the drivers more and charge the rider less, they have a chance. Otherwise, its a big waste of time.

Technically, wouldn't the busses they use to ship employees back and forth to work be considered 'ride sharing'? If so, they've been doing it for years.

Shhh. Uber counts on mathematically challenged people to become drivers.

Back