Google Launches Project Tango Smartphone

How long until Apple unveils "iDepth" and sues the Project Tango team?

is it just me or was there a lack of compelling applications shown in that video. FYI: I am not blind (yet).

No, it wasn't just you. I don't see the point of all that being built into a phone either...unless you just hate your battery. It pretty much rates on the same level as Oculus for me..BFD.

No, it wasn't just you. I don't see the point of all that being built into a phone either...unless you just hate your battery. It pretty much rates on the same level as Oculus for me..BFD.

So you don't want innovation in a smartphone? You just want it to get bigger and faster?
Im sure there will be plenty of newly found uses for depth mapping.

Innovation BAD!. Grrrr!!!!

frankenstein.gif

I'm guessing that all the data will be streamed to Google so they can truly map the world in 3D, including the inside of your house and every other private space you can think of. It'll be fun for a while as we get a few games that allow us to have massive shootouts in any real world location we choose. Eventually however the Gov will decide that it's a terrorist training tool and the public won't be able to access the data any more, it'll still be in the phones and constantly updating the Gov's database, but you can't have it.

</tin foil hat rant>

is it just me or was there a lack of compelling applications shown in that video. FYI: I am not blind (yet).

jiFfM.jpg

I'm guessing that all the data will be streamed to Google so they can truly map the world in 3D, including the inside of your house and every other private space you can think of. It'll be fun for a while as we get a few games that allow us to have massive shootouts in any real world location we choose. Eventually however the Gov will decide that it's a terrorist training tool and the public won't be able to access the data any more, it'll still be in the phones and constantly updating the Gov's database, but you can't have it.

</tin foil hat rant>

Extremely powerful tools cut many ways.

I can see some pretty cool uses, especially if you like building custom game maps modeled after real places.

Take for instance, Fort Clinch in Florida, would make an awesome Quake3 map (or any other game for that matter) so I started taking hundreds of pictures to get sufficient detail to make the map. It was a good effort but I kind of lost interest and never completed it due to the time it takes, along with having a real life.

It would have been extremely cool having an actual physical measurement 3D map to make the process faster, heck, I might have even finished my map before Quake3 wasn't cool anymore. IMO: Pictures taken along with 3D mapping would greatly simplify creating fully realistic game levels.

could this be the beginning of 3D scanners for the masses? just in time for 3D printing for the masses

Back