Google Is Requesting YouTube Clips Trashing Its Design Team Ahead of Pixel 3 Launch

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
There is a theory brewing that Google is pulling off a complex hoax with its Pixel 3 XL phone, which has been criticized six ways from Sunday for having a giant notch. Front Page Tech, one of the many YouTubers who have bashed the phone, claims he was contacted by the search giant for permission to use his clips mocking the handset for their October 9 event. Some optimistic fans believe this would only make sense if Google had a notch-less derivative (Pixel Ultra?) up their sleeve.

FPT further claims several other “big” channels, which posted similarly unfavorable videos about Google’s upcoming phone, were also contacted by the company to use clips from their videos as well. Looking at the videos in question, the narrative simply mocks Google’s design of the Pixel 3 XL. In one case, Google apparently asked to use a clip where the YouTube host in question specifically said that Google should “fire their design team” because Pixel 3 XL looks so terrible.

Maybe they changed directions radically and want to take these negatives and make it a positive? And pigs can fly.

Did they still forget to put in a headphone jack, like the Pixel 2? Oh, and a microSD card slot would be nice too. Notches are silly looking, but not including basic hardware features is going to lose you sales when plenty of other Android flagships do have those options. What annoys me the most about Android OEMs copying Apple's "Courage" is that the best selling Android flagships, Samsung's Galaxy S lineup, doesn't do that stuff. Of course, Samsung does stuff like those curved-edged screens that I can't stand.

It'd be an elaborate hoax, that's for sure. But I guess all they'd really have to do is leak some photos to a few key individuals and let the internet do the work.

But what's the point? Drum up negative press and rumors to entice more people to tune in to the unveil? Passive aggressively poke fun at Apple's notch by pretending to have a notch only to not have one?

Did they still forget to put in a headphone jack, like the Pixel 2? Oh, and a microSD card slot would be nice too. Notches are silly looking, but not including basic hardware features is going to lose you sales when plenty of other Android flagships do have those options. What annoys me the most about Android OEMs copying Apple's "Courage" is that the best selling Android flagships, Samsung's Galaxy S lineup, doesn't do that stuff. Of course, Samsung does stuff like those curved-edged screens that I can't stand.

Whats bad about the curved edges? Im not going to call them the best feature ever but I certainly dont care if they are there or not.

I still have my pixel xl and it runs Android 9 very very well. Not gonna upgrade for another generation. Been very happy with my Fi service as well.

Sitting on a nexus 6 so ImI itching to upgrade. might just get the 3 XL and deal with the notch. Not sure how I feel about it yet.

Can't stand TouchWiz so the note is a tough sell, and I don't know what else to get on VZW.

Remove features that are useful.
"Leak" NOTCH!! Get made fun of.
Deliver notchelss phone (that not an achievement btw)
Get praise and make users forget the lack of actual useful features.
Oh, and make sure it's super shiny and made of brittle glass.
Sell only 100,000 phones anyway.

Sony is releasing their 36mp camera phone sensor this December. Waiting for the Pixel 4 XL in 2019 for this reason

Remove features that are useful.
"Leak" NOTCH!! Get made fun of.
Deliver notchelss phone (that not an achievement btw)
Get praise and make users forget the lack of actual useful features.
Oh, and make sure it's super shiny and made of brittle glass.
Sell only 100,000 phones anyway.

what a gods good earth are you blathering about. None of that even applies to the Pixel line of phones.

Reflections/glare, for one thing. Also, people who have them say that they're problematic in regards to cases.

I dont seem to have reflections or glare as an issue?

My otterbox works fine with them as well other than the unrelated issue of the rubber of the case itself being a poor fit after a few months of use causing it to stretch. Also have one of those heat applied conformal face covers..

I doubt it's a hoax. That would be a lot to go through for a fake lol prank.

Though, in stark contrast, if Google is thinking about going the way of Samsung and being more tongue in cheek this would be a great way to say "Notches are fucking stupid and companies that use them look like tards"..

So with that being said...I could see it all being a hoax.

Reflections/glare, for one thing. Also, people who have them say that they're problematic in regards to cases.

Reflections and glare? That happens on all phone screens? And cases have never been problematic. I think you were trying to find some other feature that has issues that really doesn't have issues.

Last edited:
what a gods good earth are you blathering about. None of that even applies to the Pixel line of phones.
Really?

Removal of features. Headphone jack, removable battery, sd card slot, dual sim, battery size, speaker quality, microphone quality. And that is just off the top of my head.

Leaking of phone details. Photos, specs, data sheets, leaving a phone in a taxi (come on...), all of which point to a big honking notch.

This of course leads to less than favorable media exposure. Aka getting made fun of. (BTW, look what happened to HTC when fake leaks of the gorgeous M9 hit the Net and HTC didn't deliver that)

If it is a switcharoo and a notchless phone is delivered people will praise Google to no end for "getting it right". Plenty of good press and consumer appreciation.
This will make people "forget" the lack of features on the phone.
The build quality will also be mostly overlooked as long as it is made from brittle glass and is shiny (for those press shots/videos).

And even after all that... Google will go ahead and have poor sales since they can't figure out the distribution. And they will of course not release the phone worldwide, further showing they have no idea how to run a hardware business.

But hey. It'll take pictures. That's the only ting the previous Pixel phone had going for it. Pictures.

Definitely applies to Pixel phones.

They'll probably edit the clips to make it look like they're praising the notch, then reveal that the phone has 4 notches, 1 on each edge.

Whats bad about the curved edges? Im not going to call them the best feature ever but I certainly dont care if they are there or not.
IMO the curve removes useful screen real estate that would have been better spent on a thin bezel.

Or....Some Youtuber is making a stink to get views to his channel...

Google didn't say what from the videos they would be using, they only asked this and other YTers to be able to use their videos at the launch....Like they have done before. Nothing says Google is going to use the videos, and if they do, nothing says that they are going to use the negative parts of those videos. It is also possible if they do use them, they do it in a way to defend the notch/design or explain why it is better.

Or, Google faked the theft and selling of those stolen goods to a Russian blogger. But not only that, it means Google would have had to actually design and build a number of notched devices and changed Android to support notched devices for a hoax only.

Which is more believable?

I wish there were some options for those of us that need removable batteries. I'm loving my LG v20, but some day I'll have to part with it. I'm not looking forward to that day, but fortunately it's years away.

I dont seem to have reflections or glare as an issue?

My otterbox works fine with them as well other than the unrelated issue of the rubber of the case itself being a poor fit after a few months of use causing it to stretch. Also have one of those heat applied conformal face covers..

I don't have either of those phones, but I've heard lots of people complaining. YMMV, obviously, but someone asked, so I answered with what I'd heard the complaints are.

Reflections and glare? That happens on all phone screens?

People who've complained about the rounded edges of the Galaxy S phones think it's bothersome. It's different, in a way, than the regular glare across the face, based on what I've seen in the store. I haven't spent enough time to know if it would bother me. Again, just reporting what I've heard.

And cases have never been problematic. I think you were trying to find some other feature that has issues that really doesn't have issues.

Well, I'm glad you've now spoken to all the people who've complained about cases not fitting the curved side edges of the phones, and let them know they're all wrong. Don't go putting words in my mouth; I've never used one of those phones.

People who've complained about the rounded edges of the Galaxy S phones think it's bothersome. It's different, in a way, than the regular glare across the face, based on what I've seen in the store. I haven't spent enough time to know if it would bother me. Again, just reporting what I've heard.

Well, I'm glad you've now spoken to all the people who've complained about cases not fitting the curved side edges of the phones, and let them know they're all wrong. Don't go putting words in my mouth; I've never used one of those phones.

Rounded edges are a bane that serve no reason to be there. Cases are harder to fit, it makes moving items or icons from one screen to another very odd and awkward, with a good fitting case, it makes it almost impossible as it keeps your finger from actually going all the way to the edge. Lets not forget the main reason its a horrible idea, is that NO full glass screen protectors work on it, which are the only ones worth putting on a phone, and if you are going to stick it in a otter box, who gives a shit if it has rounded edges. It also makes it harder to hold onto, something with flat edges makes it easier to one hand the phone as well. And yes, it does add unneeded glare around the edges.

Really?

Removal of features. Headphone jack, removable battery, sd card slot, dual sim, battery size, speaker quality, microphone quality. And that is just off the top of my head.

Leaking of phone details. Photos, specs, data sheets, leaving a phone in a taxi (come on...), all of which point to a big honking notch.

This of course leads to less than favorable media exposure. Aka getting made fun of. (BTW, look what happened to HTC when fake leaks of the gorgeous M9 hit the Net and HTC didn't deliver that)

If it is a switcharoo and a notchless phone is delivered people will praise Google to no end for "getting it right". Plenty of good press and consumer appreciation.
This will make people "forget" the lack of features on the phone.
The build quality will also be mostly overlooked as long as it is made from brittle glass and is shiny (for those press shots/videos).

And even after all that... Google will go ahead and have poor sales since they can't figure out the distribution. And they will of course not release the phone worldwide, further showing they have no idea how to run a hardware business.

But hey. It'll take pictures. That's the only ting the previous Pixel phone had going for it. Pictures.

Definitely applies to Pixel phones.

The Pixel and Pixel 2 had / have outstanding sales. Verizon said it's their number 2 phone behind the Galaxy line. Go look. Educate yourself, the numbers / reviews are out there. Spreading BS only takes away from your credibility, no one elses.

And what notch? The Pixel line has never had notch. Are you wanting to speculate? Fine, but that's all it is ... speculation. And seriously, go watch some videos, the Russian unboxing has been cast into serious doubt. Watch the videos where they slam the unboxing.

The Pixel 2 XL is the best phone I've ever owned and I absolutely promise you I've had more smart phones that the average person out there. I have a brand new OnePlus 6 on my desk right now that's not being used because the Pixel 2 XL is better imho.

I take around 3 to 4 vacations a year. From a week to up to two weeks like my recent Colorado trip. Not including all my random weekend excursions. I use my phone a lot. Especially where battery life and storage is a concern.

I have over 1500 songs on my phone and a few GB of APK apps.

Also, when I take pictures, I shoot RAW .. those at 15+ MB photos. Do I run out of room? Hell no .... again, what are you mad about?

I've never had a problem with battery life, never had a problem with storage and as far as the headphone jack goes, it's a none issue. A cheap little adapter ( which they include ) remedies the headphone jack.

Also, the Pixel 2 line includes Bluetooth 5.0 ... which gives you High-Def Audio via Aptx. Sounds amazing. I love all my wired headphones but I also love wireless and especially when they have Aptx enabled.

You want to be mad, mad about what? None of what you blathered about has zero bearing on anything.

Borderless, notchless, headphonejack-less, wireless earbuds, wireless charging, etc, on a $1000 dollar phone. Seems to me everyone paying more for less!

Rounded edges are a bane that serve no reason to be there. Cases are harder to fit, it makes moving items or icons from one screen to another very odd and awkward, with a good fitting case, it makes it almost impossible as it keeps your finger from actually going all the way to the edge. Lets not forget the main reason its a horrible idea, is that NO full glass screen protectors work on it, which are the only ones worth putting on a phone, and if you are going to stick it in a otter box, who gives a shit if it has rounded edges. It also makes it harder to hold onto, something with flat edges makes it easier to one hand the phone as well. And yes, it does add unneeded glare around the edges.
A bit off topic, but I have an S9 (my first ever Samsung phone after years of Nexus and HTC) and the curved screen is far less pronounced then the S7 Edge that my brother has, and holding it in my hand I have never had a problem with activating icons by accident or excessive glare. I use a Panzer Glass screen protector which fits perfectly, and although I only have 2 cases, both fit perfectly.
I get dual sim, sd card slot, 3.5 mm jack (all essential to me) and as a bonus, IP68, a 1440p screen which is 5.8" and so still fits comfortably in one hand and more importantly, in my pocket.
Touch Wiz is far less offensive than it used to be, and with a custom launcher I don't even notice it anyway. Oh, and no notch.
I would suggest you try one for yourself before dismissing it out of hand...

Last edited:
Back