Google Is Pulling YouTube off the Fire TV and Echo Show

No youtube, that is big!

HTPC +silicondust and place for the Vive!

I think Google is doing the right thing here. The whole point in these devices are that they are just a simple endpoint device, it's the service you're paying for. I should be able to use a single device of my choosing to access ALL services that I pay for, instead of needing 3-4 different devices.

The only (and I mean only) entertaining thing I find about the way this corptacracy is heading is watching these "entities" fight like children, a corp is just a big baby after all. Everything else about it is sending everything down the crapper at a faster and faster rate.

With the American and World Wide Public being raped and gang-banged by greedy lying Government officials working in unison and on the behalf of big businesses it's only going to get more profoundly interesting when they take away Net Neutrality.

Trust me, if Amazon could charge Youtube for fastlanes ... they absolutely fucking would. And trust me, Verizon, ATT, Comcast, etc etc will be charging Youtube and Netflix for access to their lines.

It's not going to get better it's going to get much much much worse.

I really hope all of you are signing those petitions that are all over the web. Easy to do.

Exactly!

Not sure if you're joking, but this has absolutely nothing to do with net neutrality. Amazon and Google have no obligation to carry each others service, but doing so would benefit the end user while expanding their target audience for their services.

You're right, but there's your issue, you are seeing this from an end user experience, corps don't give a rats fucking ass about the end user, the end user is just a numbers count. Corps care about how many of those numbers they can lock into their system to feed only at their trough. They only want "market share" and they are big babies that don't know how to play nice and share their toys (we're the toys actually, not the devices and services). Here is a case where Google makes an attempt at sharing, but since little Tommy isn't sharing his toys, little Jason is going to keep his away from Tommy, it's hilarious.

Google are the good guys here. They are fighting for their services to be provided by Amazon in an equal exchange.

I bet Amazon could solve this problem overnight if they provided Prime for Google devices, didn't refuse to sell Best devices, etc. etc.

Yep, but Amazon (aka Bezos) wants to dominate the world. Ego and ambition are all good in moderation, we wouldn't have innovation if not for it, but humans do take it way to far, greed and power are a bitch.

Looks like my decision to go with Roku was a good one.

Don't get comfortable, Roku recently made a deal with the devil (aka WallStreet) and now they are going to have to play the fiddle for him (and they won't be able to play as well as Johnny did in "The Devil Went Down to Georgia"). Roku is going to get squeezed, twisted and succumb to the monster and will wind up being bought by one of the behemoth's and all Roku devices will belong to them.

What's ironic is that, apart from Home versus Echo, Google's devices don't really compete with Amazon's Fire devices. For example, Chromecast is limited in that it requires an outside device with Cast-capable apps to work properly and Google exited the low-price tablet market a long time ago. Roku's devices are actual competitors to the Fire TV devices and are actually much, much better because they're service agnostic, yet Amazon goes ahead and sells them.

Yep, all ironic "Don't You Think".

When corporate ego trips have a complete two year old style meltdown....you get...this.

Honestly, every person, corporate entity, or government that has ever obtained a complete market dominance does this kind of stuff. That's why competition is so important.

Personally, I have almost completely stopped shopping at Amazon. Other than Windows 10 I will not buy a Microsoft product. I have never owned an Apple product. Other than search with Google, which I'd love to find an alternative that, you know, works, I really don't want to use Google products anymore either.

And all of my decisions about this stuff has been solely because large companies always do stuff like this. I'm sick of it.

Yep again, I love your 'had enough of it boycotting nature', but I do still shop where I find the best deal and use the service that works best for me. I've come to the conclusion that we are all swirling down the toilet bowl and I'm not able to turn the tide myself (oh I've tried), but there is simply too much apathy and stupidity in the population to believe any tide can turn. Man am I glad I never had kids, bitter sweet, but when I think about how I would have liked to, I just realize it's my own selfishness talking.

Good luck out the [H]ers!

Even Roku isn't immune to this kind of crap. The Twitch channel/app on Roku is no longer supported or available. (why? Because Amazon owns Twitch now). Something will change on Twitch at some point (probably related to streaming/codecs) that will render the Twitch channel useless on Roku for those of us with the app still loaded.
Amazon wants you to buy their streaming device.
Google wants you to buy their streaming device.
I was hoping Roku would be able to be the Swiss version of a streaming device (neutral to all), but no.
Fuck all their greedy asses to hell.

Plus no google music on roku. But Google Movies and TV, Youtube. Does not make sense...

My 70" Vizio "monitor" with a built in Google CCU just got Amazon video. =\ I hope it stays

Why HTPC is the only way to go

Except they don't always have access to certain stuff either. Off the top of my head;

Sunday ticket app
Uverse app
Directv app
Netflix 4k

And I'm sure there's a few other things

Except they don't always have access to certain stuff either. Off the top of my head;

Sunday ticket app
Uverse app
Directv app
Netflix 4k

And I'm sure there's a few other things

Huh streaming gets me everything i need, haven't seen TV and/or commercials in years. It's great.

4k will come eventually. I don't have a 4k TV anyway so it'd be wasted.

So, If I wanna have "everything", i'm gonna have to get a second stick for my TV?

Having Amazon, Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, Redbull, etc, all on one stick, was really nice.

Since some of you chimed in on the Roku I will 2nd and 3rd that. I have always been a huge media streamer starting with the WD Home Theater 10 years ago. Finally bought a Roku about a year ago, the Premier model and I absolutely love it. Pro tip. Get you a cheap read / write Micro SDHC memory card and put it in the Roku. Everything loads up incredibly fast. It's a good update to your Roku if haven't done so yet. Don't get cheap, you need a 90MB/s read / write card to see the difference.

My Roku handles 4K MKV's exceptionally well. Plex front-end has no problem with 3,300+ MKV's.

I do wish there was built in voice commands as well as a magic pointer to navigate Youtube faster.

So... 'Get you a cheap read / write Micro SDHC memory card' followed by 'Don't get cheap' :) Don't worry, I get what you mean, as they're all cheap really, just made me chuckle.

It's not unheard-of for corporations to do this crap. Go buy a GE breater at a square d supply house

Or... purchase Coke and Pepsi products at a restaurant.

This really doesnt affect folks who feel strongly for or against one or the other - it does affect those that want both though. I think in the long run this will end up working itself out - probably being used as bargaining chips as I assume that one wants money from the other in order to 'support' them. If neither of the Google or Amazon branded products can carry the others streaming service I'm thinking something else will eventually show up that does both rather well (besides Roku? don't have that) - and if they notice that the other device is doing quite well they'll change their stance or a compromise will be made...

good. I can't wait until amazon comes out with a video service like youtube so there can be competition in the field beyond the smaller players

I stopped using my Fire TV once they dropped Flickster which cut out Vudu/Ultraviolet and cut me off from 95% of my library. So more crap from google is barely a blip.

I use the YouTube app on my FireTV a lot. The one thing that bugs me is it works fine then it starts to drop quality and frames and just goes to shit. I then have to pull the plug (literally) and then its fine for a few hours...then it breaks down again.

It's the only app on the FireTV that does it. everything else is perfect. I wonder if Google has been doing this?

Amazon totally at fault here. Bezos is a giant egotistical douchebag. Only person who was a bigger ego douche was Jobs.

When corporate ego trips have a complete two year old style meltdown....you get...this.

Honestly, every person, corporate entity, or government that has ever obtained a complete market dominance does this kind of stuff. That's why competition is so important.

Personally, I have almost completely stopped shopping at Amazon. Other than Windows 10 I will not buy a Microsoft product. I have never owned an Apple product. Other than search with Google, which I'd love to find an alternative that, you know, works, I really don't want to use Google products anymore either.

And all of my decisions about this stuff has been solely because large companies always do stuff like this. I'm sick of it.

Time to move to the mountains somewhere kid.

Yeah, there is a HUGE difference between not supporting a platform because it has all of 12 users (seriously, I have never seen anyone use or ever met anyone who owned a Windows phone) and intentionally blocking a platform because you have the market dominance in the field and want to force your competitors out.

Amazon is the one in the wrong here. Plain and simple.
Amazon isn't "blocking a platform" Blocking implies that they are taking an action to prohibit it. They simply aren't making a product for chromecast and are choosing not to sell google chromecast devices. On the other hand, Google is taking action by actively blocking access to Amazon devices.

And to make a few points on some other comments:

Amazon does sell Apple products, and not a limited selection. To be more precise, Apple sells direct through the Amazon store front. A quick looks shows pretty much all apple products being sold on the site, other than Apps and such, which Apple would never allow anyway. It's also interesting to pointing out, that on an iOS device, even though Amazon Prime, kindle and Audible apps are available, Apple does not allow Amazon to sell content through the apps. You must go through a browser.

Make no mistake, this is about two massive companies butting heads and not much else. Neither Google nor Amazon are standing on higher ground than the other. And I am so amused how some think that, when it comes to Google, that the consumer is the customer. Unless you are subscribing to one of Google's paid for services, you are not. YOU ARE THE PRODUCT, not the customer.

There's some revisionist history. Google was hardly alone in their lack of obligation or interest to devoting time and resources into propping up Microsoft's dead platform. They saw the writing on the wall like everyone else. Nobody was ever truly interested in making windows phone apps - not even Microsoft was ever fully committed.

And when Microsoft slopped together a knockoff Youtube app - complete with the trademarked Youtube logo and that circumvented advertisements, well no shit a takedown was ordered. Just like Microsoft does when people create knockoffs of their software, or try to create hacks or workarounds to circumvent their revenue streams. Historically when Microsoft has enjoyed the dominant position they've acted the same or worse.

Maybe a little revisionist sure. But at the time many youtube apps didn't have ADs (typically older ones). Windows phone was somewhat popular in my area, I knew lots of people with them. This is all just big business. Microsoft is out of the phone market. Amazon's phone never amounted to anything. Apple is < 15%, Android is the rest. Streaming and home services like echo,home, etc are just another market that Amazon and Google are fighting over. I'm sure they are both doing what they think will give them 80%+ market share. Both companies have had some spectacular failures (fire phone, google plus) and they don't want to give up in home streaming, voice (echo/home), etc.

I actually orderd a Fire Stick this week and canceled the order after I did a bit more research. I ended up ordering instead the Roku streaming stick+. Hopefully it will work plugging it in to my avr. This is all so I can watch the Amazon video stuff.

Cut the cord long-long time ago, and I used to think that the Roku was always the best choice (started with Roku 2). But after I purchased the nVidia Shield TV back 2015 during a Christmas sale it became absolutely the best when it was at its worst. All the other streaming devices are a joke in comparison. There is so much ability to the Shield and it gets better with time as support matures.

Back