Google Is No Longer The Default Search Engine In Android Chrome In Russia

rgMekanic

[H]ard|News
Following it's agreement with the Russians Federal Anti-Monopoly Service, Chrome will now bring up a prompt for it's Russian users to choose between Yandex, Google, and **************.

Sounds like a good thing to me, monopolies can be quite dangerous. Although I don't feel like this is a monopolistic thing, you could always change your default search in Chrome, it just didn't prompt you on first run to do so. Google did try unsuccessfully to contest the ruling in Late 2015.

In line with the agreement with Yandex and the settlement with FAS, we have instituted a new opportunity for search providers to promote their search services within the Chrome app on Android devices.

A great replacement for chrome is vivaldi.com. It's only available for windows, but it's the chrome engine without all the google telemetry crap. I really wish bank websites would stop coding for IE, it drives me nuts.

Four response and no "in Soviet Russia, google searches you" response? I'm either impressed or ashamed for you guys.

Reactions: r00k
like this
Following it's agreement with the Russians Federal Anti-Monopoly Service, Chrome will now bring up a prompt for it's Russian users to choose between Yandex, Google, and **************.

Sounds like a good thing to me, monopolies can be quite dangerous. Although I don't feel like this is a monopolistic thing, you could always change your default search in Chrome, it just didn't prompt you on first run to do so. Google did try unsuccessfully to contest the ruling in Late 2015.

In line with the agreement with Yandex and the settlement with FAS, we have instituted a new opportunity for search providers to promote their search services within the Chrome app on Android devices.

Google is creeping me out though. The idea that they actually change results and search completion to prefer a candidate in an election. Feels kind of like China and Russia. These companies would rat out any dissident for money too. Sucks.

Google is creeping me out though. The idea that they actually change results and search completion to prefer a candidate in an election. Feels kind of like China and Russia. These companies would rat out any dissident for money too. Sucks.

Facebook outright solicits political parties (and I'm sure corporations and wealthy individuals) that they have the ability to swing elections via advertisements.

I'm an ex-Facebook exec: don't believe what they tell you about ads

You don't have to use google, bing, or whatever other big company search engine.

Have you tried duckduckgo.com as your search engine?

I couldn't ever possibly imagine using another search engine other than google. It works and works extremely well.

Anytime I do a search in Bing, I almost never get the links I need. Everything else is just shit including Bing.

Google is pushing me further and further away from their products. Now my Gmail is an account is use to sign up for shit so I don't have to deal with spam in my primary email. Chrome is completely off my phone because the Brave browser actually lets me choose DuckDuckGo as my search engine. Google wouldn't allow that on Chrome for Android because they're skerrrd....

yeah i dumped google stuff too, but i still have some email, these times when i open it it kinda gives me the fell theres some fat slobbering leftist creep stalking me and trying to make money out of me in it, its time to dump those too.

Back