Google Is Developing Techniques To Combat VR Trolls

HardOCP News

[H] News
I had no idea that trolling in VR games was a thing. I've never actually felt "unsafe" or "attacked" playing a game because, if someone is being a jackass, I normally just find someone else to play with. Problem solved.

Trolls are everywhere on social media, and you can expect to encounter them in social virtual reality experiences as VR devices become more common. That's why Google's Daydream Labs team has been developing ways to prevent harassment in virtual reality, where people can use avatars (and not just words) to make others feel uncomfortable or even attacked. In one of the team's virtual shopping experiments, for instance, some testers blocked other users' view by sticking hats in front of their eyes. Those testers had no choice but to take off their headsets and restart the experience.

Why is Google doing this? Shouldn't Valve or Facebook be developing this?

Well, I see the case for this, but they need to tread carefully. I don't need VR mimicking real life (I'm not going to get all pissy about some random shit either, but...) as far as the trolling and other related nonsense goes. I can go outside and mix it up with the local a-holes if I wish. I'm not paying all sorts of price premiums to have the experience ruined by immature a-holes from wherever. I don't pub often in the games I currently play because I have 4 kids of my own and tolerating bullshit from anyone else's kids or the immature adults online is just not the thing for me to be doing. But please make sure that the attempt to curtail the offensive/obtrusive behavior doesn't adversely affect the experience of the those who adhere to the rules/guidelines/etiquette.

I had no idea that trolling in VR games was a thing. I've never actually felt "unsafe" or "attacked" playing a game because, if someone is being a jackass, I normally just find someone else to play with. Problem solved.

Trolls are everywhere on social media, and you can expect to encounter them in social virtual reality experiences as VR devices become more common. That's why Google's Daydream Labs team has been developing ways to prevent harassment in virtual reality, where people can use avatars (and not just words) to make others feel uncomfortable or even attacked. In one of the team's virtual shopping experiments, for instance, some testers blocked other users' view by sticking hats in front of their eyes. Those testers had no choice but to take off their headsets and restart the experience.

One of the blessings of running popular servers forany years was that if someone was being a jackass, I could just kick them, if they were repeatedly being a jackass, I could temp ban them and if they were still a jackass when they eventually came back in, I could make that permanent :p

One of the blessings of running popular servers forany years was that if someone was being a jackass, I could just kick them, if they were repeatedly being a jackass, I could temp ban them and if they were still a jackass when they eventually came back in, I could make that permanent :p
Much more fun to just punish them in-game. I remember the good old days in CS when I could run commands client side. Mild jackasses had their m1 key bound to either say "bang" in chat or commit suicide. Bigger jackasses had ALL their keys re-mapped to either suicide or entertaining chat messages. To understand the troll you must first become the troll.

Much more fun to just punish them in-game. I remember the good old days in CS when I could run commands client side. Mild jackasses had their m1 key bound to either say "bang" in chat or commit suicide. Bigger jackasses had ALL their keys re-mapped to either suicide or entertaining chat messages. To understand the troll you must first become the troll.

haha, yeah, I only did that a handful of times. Sadly lost the ability at some point.

If they were low disturbance and I was feeling cheeky, I would just rename them and wait for them to notice.

Trolling? You mean playing Dark Souls?

Look at me is more of an attention whore thing, and the penultimate mascot for the attention whore, is a wind puppet, which literally says look at me without uttering a sound.

http%3A%2F%2Fmashable.com%2Fwp-content%2Fgallery%2Fwind-socks%2Fwindsock7.gif

Back