Google Is Considered A ‘School Official?’

HardOCP News

[H] News
How in the world can Google be considered a "school official?" I can't think of any reason for schools to be sharing student information with Google.

Google is a major player in U.S. education. In fact, in many public schools around the country, it's technically a "school official." And that designation means parents may not get a chance to opt out of having information about their children shared with the online advertising giant.

Lets see people bitch about this. Probably won't though. This really doesn't surprise me as a lot of schools give out chrome books and force students to submit all homework through google services online. So in order for that they have to know who all the students are and other information. However no doubt they still have access to far more than what they need.

Well, on one hand - Google is doing what they do, collect and market data.

On the other hand, this should probably be brought up to the local school board to see if the understand (or care) about the data collection. If they know about it, and accept it - start voting them out, or get together with other parents and boycott the school until it stops.

But, as Exavior said....many parents won't give a shit and won't say anything. After all, schools are not for education - it's a government provided day care service.

Schools are fully aware of facts and scare tactics by the competition losing marketshare.

I'm sure they won't have to observe clean slate practices after a kid reaches a certain age. Now we can punish people for the failure to conform back to childhood.

On the other hand, this should probably be brought up to the local school board to see if the understand (or care) about the data collection. If they know about it, and accept it - start voting them out, or get together with other parents and boycott the school until it stops.

But, as Exavior said....many parents won't give a shit and won't say anything. After all, schools are not for education - it's a government provided day care service.

Actually I wasn't talking about parents. But all people in general. Replace Google with a different company and people would be going apeshit on here now. But since it is google its fine, they can have whatever data they want. Privacy concerns only matter when people want them to in regards to certain things.

So much tinfoil hattery here.

Let's look at it from the other side.

Apple. iPads for schools. Also collects data.

Microsoft. Just through Windows. Also collects data.

If anyone thinks Google is the only one doing this, they're drinking the Kool Aid.

Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, Google is extremely limited with what they can do with any data they get from students in school. For those who want to claim they're free to do with whatever they collect (and you still haven't proven they actually collect and use data from student accounts)... they'd run afoul of federal regulations on what they can allow with Children under the age of 13 being online and their accounts.

But, as Exavior said....many parents won't give a shit and won't say anything. After all, schools are not for education - it's a government provided day care and indoctrination service.

FTFY

And yet, another reason to homeschool

Unless the states make convoluted laws that make it nearly impossible to "legally" home school children...

Or you live in a country that bans it outright (assorted European countries).

Unless the states make convoluted laws that make it nearly impossible to "legally" home school children...

Or you live in a country that bans it outright (assorted European countries).

I bet their public schools are a hell of a lot better than ours!

guys...I actually built me a tinfoil hat

wish I could say it was working

I bet their public schools are a hell of a lot better than ours!

It's not the schools, its the lack of participation on the parents account. After putting my kids in charter schools, I see the difference that just simply having a school full of parents who give a shit can make.

So the rumors that the corporate America is actually ruling the government and not vice versa is becoming an openly accepted norm it seems. Sad day for the US.

So much tinfoil hattery here.

Let's look at it from the other side.

Apple. iPads for schools. Also collects data.

Microsoft. Just through Windows. Also collects data.

If anyone thinks Google is the only one doing this, they're drinking the Kool Aid.

Children's Online Privacy Protection Act, Google is extremely limited with what they can do with any data they get from students in school. For those who want to claim they're free to do with whatever they collect (and you still haven't proven they actually collect and use data from student accounts)... they'd run afoul of federal regulations on what they can allow with Children under the age of 13 being online and their accounts.

Ah, there's the bandwagon argument we all love. "Everyone else collects data so it's okay and there's nothing to worry about. If you're the slightest bit concerned, here's my kool aid and tin foil insult which proves I'm right and you're wrong."

Oh and 13 years old! So there! No children over the age of 13 go to school after all.

There is an easy solution for this ... get rid of the public education system in the USA ... in most countries there is no public education system or it is intended for the poor who can't afford private schools ... although public education was useful in its day it really doesn't suit the needs of a modern capitalist developed nation anymore ... and we definitely don't need to expand it further to offer a free college level education

Hi,

My child uses google class room and a number of educational based web sites. The teacher is the first teacher who is probably the most technologically advanced teacher I have met while participating in public schooling. My child's previous teachers were more baby steps. The current teacher is head first into the deep end with all things tech. The teacher even gives home work via web. Guess what? My child loves it. My wife and I went forth and purchased an 11 inch 2 in 1 laptop for our child so they could use it in conjunction with the class. My child likes the fact they can communicate with their class mates after school hours. Guess what? It is a Windows 10 OS laptop. Sure I disabled as many of the privacy concerns as possible. However, it is what it is. I did the same thing with my child's ipad. Besides what are they going to find? A bunch of Educational programming and toy reviews?

Nothing against home schooling. I have met some really great people who home schooled. I say more power to them. With better and greater access to the Internet, these large tech companies are going to to have the data that will be marketable. Those who home school are gaining access to this new frontier too. A person I know his children are home schooled. His older child is participating in an online study program while getting college credit for the program plus working part time. Nothing different than any other teenager in a work study program at a public school.

There is an easy solution for this ... get rid of the public education system in the USA ... in most countries there is no public education system or it is intended for the poor who can't afford private schools ... although public education was useful in its day it really doesn't suit the needs of a modern capitalist developed nation anymore ... and we definitely don't need to expand it further to offer a free college level education

Yes, let us also get rid of that awful Interstate Highway System while we're at it. :rolleyes:

Most education administrators and board members are clueless about IT. Most of the qualifications for administration jobs involve education degrees even though most administrators will never educate a single student. So they are mostly clueless on good management principles as well.

When the Google rep mentioned the data sharing will "Enhance the Educational Experience", most of these clueless folks were sold. Even if Google does nothing with the data except store it until each student is 18(doubtful), they are getting an inside look at each student's likes, dislikes and class performance. Wonder how much colleges will pay for this so they can compare the applicant's admission paperwork to the applicant's real life actions?

Back