Google Introducing $129 Home Wi-Fi Router On October 4

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Bad news for OnHub owners; it sounds like Google has already replaced its initial router project with a new product that adopts the trend of expanding coverage with multiple devices. My Nighthawk router is working pretty great so far, but I may have to retire it for something that can provide a strong signal throughout the entire home.

…the device will be launched alongside Google's Pixel phones, Google Home, and the 4K 'Chromecast Ultra' on October 4th. That source additionally claims that Google will advertise the router as having "smart" features - probably similar to OnHub in some respects - and that Google will claim it provides enhanced range over typical Wi-Fi routers (a claim we see basically every router make, to be fair). But the one thing that will make it an insta-buy for many over OnHub? Our source claims multiple Google Wifi access points (two or more) can be linked together to create one large wireless network.

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense if Google was the one paying the people using this thing since they are going to mine them?

Wouldn't it make a lot more sense if Google was the one paying the people using this thing since they are going to mine them?

No no no, you can't become the most valuable company in the world by just straight up charging people money. Everyone will chastise you and criticize your crapple products.

But if you don't charge people any money or very little money and instead sell out your customer to the highest bidder, or anyone that bids, then you will be lauded as a hero.

Most people only care about the initial cost to them, that is more important than anything else. That's why Google is now the most valuable company, versus a company that just honestly asked for your money.

No no no, you can't become the most valuable company in the world by just straight up charging people money. Everyone will chastise you and criticize your crapple products.

But if you don't charge people any money or very little money and instead sell out your customer to the highest bidder, or anyone that bids, then you will be lauded as a hero.

Most people only care about the initial cost to them, that is more important than anything else. That's why Google is now the most valuable company, versus a company that just honestly asked for your money.

You think Apple doesn't sell your data? Hah..ahahahah.

You think Apple doesn't sell your data? Hah..ahahahah.

I always wonder how that works. Do these large corporations create another company front, something off the books, then moves the mined data to their and then sells? Is this a underground company or can any business purchase this information legally?

i think data mining is one thing but most likely their google fi project major home wifi network with connected backdoor access without redtrictions for other google fi people on your isp nearbye for free. thats my guess.

I'm surprised they didn't do this earlier.

I always wonder how that works. Do these large corporations create another company front, something off the books, then moves the mined data to their and then sells? Is this a underground company or can any business purchase this information legally?

No shell company needed, the ToS almost always says they have the right to share data with "partners". So partners would be other companies (such as a data analytic company or advertising company) that have contracted into their partner network. The major difference between Google and Apple is that Google controls a massive ad network that spans a wide array of media types so they don't necessarily need to sell the data outright, they just sell the metrics (e.g. You want to advertise to someone who's 30, female, likes hello Kitty, and recently watched a gaming video). Sure, Apple has there's as well, but not on the scale or scope of big G.

Last edited:
Great, now Google can get every bit of data that goes through your connection....

Guess I should replace my hardware firewall, router, and access points with this.... Oh wait....

Google never even released the expected updates for the OnHub, they abandoned it like almost everything else. The freaking USB port on the OnHub still doesn't even work. Who would buy this shit, why don't people learn?!?

Reactions: raz-0
like this
My castle is blanketed with Nighthawks. Don't see this as a compelling replacement lol.

Do you have proof of this? You're response is stated is a way as to imply that it's common knowledge. Got a common knowledge example?

It's an assumption more than anything, but why would Apple be the exception? Data mining/selling is worth way too much money for them not to be involved.

It's an assumption more than anything, but why would Apple be the exception? Data mining/selling is worth way too much money for them not to be involved.

I can't comment on Tom Cooke, but Jobs was extremely protective of his customer base....he didn't feel anyone else should be able to profit off the work he did. His maniacal ego did have some positive qualities. It all comes down to the money. Apple demands money from you upfront. And with that comes a certain level of trust from it's customers. I don't see it being in Apple's interest to do both.....too risky. If they are going to sell you out, then why should you also spend money? Apple stood up publicly to the FBI earlier this year. And they are very restrictive in their iOS about what apps can see and do. I just don't see a pattern suggesting what you are suggesting.

<glances over at the 8 year old DIR-655 router, sitting on top of the POS Actiontec FIOS router> Hmmm. Why?

It just sounds like any other router that can be setup as an ap. Big deal. Maybe they make it easy to setup using qr codes and a smartphone app. I don't see why this is a big news story, it's not even like comcast where you become a public Hotspot for comcast customers if you use their router.

I'm going to start snail mailing my search requests to Google. 10 bucks says the results come back with coupons.

Google does not have a good track record with a lot of their products. They roll them out, then never support some of them. I'd be afraid to try it based on that - let alone privacy concerns.
I have an older Nighthawk - it does a good job with wifi in my house. On my project list is putting up something like pfsense on a server for advanced router performance and functionality.

Google does not have a good track record with a lot of their products. They roll them out, then never support some of them. I'd be afraid to try it based on that - let alone privacy concerns.
I have an older Nighthawk - it does a good job with wifi in my house. On my project list is putting up something like pfsense on a server for advanced router performance and functionality.

Even after a factory reset and update on my N66U, I still gained 4Mbps upload on the WAN. So I finally got the 5 that I pay for

Back