Google: Gmail Users Have No Legitimate Expectation Of Privacy

I suppose I should mention that OS backdoors could present a similar problem, but that falls into a mixture of what I'd consider zero-day vulnerabilities and user error (...because it IS user error if you're using a proprietary OS with the expectation that there are no backdoors ;)).

Long story short: Yes, I concede that technologies like Intel's AMT are a problem for which there is currently no solution (other than avoiding computers that have it, which will become increasingly difficult). However, my point here is that communications privacy is NOT a lost cause, at least not for open source systems. While some hardware is compromised, not all of it is, and hopefully we can get rid of compromised hardware in the future. While proprietary OS's and Android are likely compromised, not all OS's are. While zero-day vulnerabilities exist, they're not so bad that it's inevitable that the NSA will always be able to rely on one to break into any system, bar none. While side channel attacks exist, encryption IS still effective...and a huge thorn in the side of surveillance dragnets when used properly.

Are there attacks and vulnerabilities? Yes. The answer is to address them one at a time, not lie down and give up from being overwhelmed.

Oh, its on RT.
Sorry I have a very very hard time believing anything on Putin's personal propaganda network. (PPPN?)
Very Heavily biased anti-west reporting.

Maybe we need to switch to these ... who knew those Harry Potter owls were so forward thinking :D

OWL_carrying_a_message.gif

Maybe we need to switch to these ... who knew those Harry Potter owls were so forward thinking :D

[IMG ]http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090531122330/harrypotter/images/a/af/OWL_carrying_a_message.gif[/IMG]

And how do you know the owls weren't secretly reading Harry's mail ;)

MiniMe, that's an excellent explanation of encryption issues and encryption may become our best solution but in the meantime I think people need to wake up to the concept that most of what they are doing online is vulnerable, that it is not secure, and that they really can't expect it to be private because it's just not being handled in a manner to ensure any privacy.

The NSA is not operating illegally, even if many people feel they are operating unethically, and that the government as a whole has violated the "spirit" of the Constitution. But what is being looked over and not getting any attention is the fact that the NSA is not the only folks out there getting whatever it is they want pretty much any way they want and no one seems to be able to stop them. And in light of that glaring reality I think we are all better served by keep our privates private and keeping in mind that the internet is not just the US o fA but the whole world and there is a lot of that world that will not follow any rules, laws, etc because there is no one in a position to make them.

It's a great write-up. I'm glad they have a lawyer on staff over there, even if it is Nilay Patel.

I'm not a lawyer, but I thought it was pretty apparent once I read the actual document. I guess it's much easier to be outraged :D

I'm in the same boat. Anybody know of any current tutorials or recommended software to run one's own e-mail server?

I've been running my own server for a few years now (still have a gmail account for stuff that I want to be sure doesn't get filtered) using HMail. http://www.hmailserver.com/

If you run it off of your residential connection, your ISP likely blocks outgoing mail, so you'll have to config it to authenticate through their servers to send.

You'll have to get your MX records squared away.

lol google is getting to microsoft levels of evil. Probably even worse and people worship google because of android. Seems like everyday I see google going back on their word.

Microsoft is just being corporate. Google really thinks they are improving the world and hence is far more dangerous

That's the ticket, support a totalitarian state of mind. I'm not American anyway.

By the nature of the way the internet works, unless you encrypt your email end to end, only transmit encrypted messages and both sides use their own mail servers, you should have no expectation of privacy anyway. I don't understand why this is news.

By the nature of the way the internet works, unless you encrypt your email end to end, only transmit encrypted messages and both sides use their own mail servers, you should have no expectation of privacy anyway. I don't understand why this is news.

what i said pages ago
dont go using logic around here i guess

How can any two parties communicate without a third party, be it snail mail, a telegram, or phone call, or email?

It is in fact by tradition implied that there is privacy, with as minimal hands-on activity to enable that communication as possible, and any divulgence of that information by the third party being expressly against the wishes of the parties reasonable expectations, and that certainly the government above all else would need a warrant and just cause for violating that privacy.

This should be common sense shit.

In person?

I've been running my own server for a few years now (still have a gmail account for stuff that I want to be sure doesn't get filtered) using HMail. http://www.hmailserver.com/

If you run it off of your residential connection, your ISP likely blocks outgoing mail, so you'll have to config it to authenticate through their servers to send.

You'll have to get your MX records squared away.

Or if you have comcast I think you can get a biz connection with static & no caps for like $50/month.

I'm using Zimbra myself...

Back