Google GDC 2019 Gaming Announcement

Crazy times we live in.... and Canada is gonna announce broadband for every Canadian by 2030!

This is garbage. Anyone with half a brain would avoid this shit like the plague. No one in their right mind should allow sreaming platform creators to turn gaming into the next subscription based "service" just like cable, and being a captive audience to the bullshit they are going to pull with fees and price hikes. There is a reason companies keep chasing this model. Its about milking the customers, not providing an actual benefit to the customer/player, no matter how much they glam it up.

This is garbage. Anyone with half a brain would avoid this shit like the plague. No one in their right mind should allow sreaming platform creators to turn gaming into the next subscription based "service" just like cable, and being a captive audience to the bullshit they are going to pull with fees and price hikes. There is a reason companies keep chasing this model. Its about milking the customers, not providing an actual benefit to the customer/player, no matter how much they glam it up.

lol

Style Transfer ML. Changes how games look with machine learning. State Share. Share the game state to others. Share speedruns with exact points in the game with others.

No cheating. No hacking. Cross platform gaming. Multi-GPU
Also better employment standards and practices for the programmers, I got out of that because it was stupid hard and not worth it. Team I was working with was doing 80 hours a week for 3+ months when deadlines were near. No overtime pay because we were salary, most of the guys I worked with have all gotten out of it it was that or divorce and at 50k a year you can’t afford a divorce but you can find a new job. Fingers crossed game programmers finally get their Unions over this.

If it will allow me to migrate my Steam library, I might be interested in a subscription model. For now, no thanks.

Crowd Play. Click a link and join in with others streaming games. Join the lobby to play.

State Share. Replay moments that content creators shared. Try to do it better than them.

Google Assistant. Ask Google how to beat a hard puzzle in a game and Google Assistant shows the section of the Youtube video with that exact puzzle highlighted.

If they provide a bad service there will be another to take it’s place there is no change from what it is now, the new competition will be which platform can give the best experience with the best titles. Google and Amazon have been eyeballing there options in gaming for almost a decade, Microsoft and Sony have been spouting that this was the future since the mid 2000’s. The current model doesn’t work and the models from the 80’s and 90’s don't pay.

To be fair, it should remain to be seen what they really can pull off and for how much. It is unlikely to replace real hardware due to latency but if it works fairly well, it would be a good addition so people who cannot afford a gaming box or travel could play without a gaming box. Interestingly their website says up to 4K@60. I'm curious as hell to try that and see. Project Stream was not too bad but video quality was pretty lackluster even on good connection. It was fun to play on a tablet with an Xbone controller though.

I need to see it in action before I judge it. Not a fan of that controller, though. Tough to get a feel for how big it is, but it looks large. If it is big, the lower placement of the analogs makes using the triggers uncomfortable to use IMO. Just about every game favors analogs vs. d-pad these days, too.

Wonder what is gonna be intel's take on this.
I would suspect that it is one of the focal points for their GPU division as this has been a request from both Amazon and Microsoft for the past 5 years.

Better than RTX2080 graphics for price of a Chromecast Ultra. I dunno this might just be the cloud gaming service that finally breaks through and causes the next big paradigm shift.

I'm annoyed by my input latency with projector and wireless controller for single player games. Cloud gaming will never appeal to me.

After watching it color me intrigued. Making an gigantic game like 1000 player battle royals or huge seamless worlds seems very possible now. on top of it you can stream at 4K 60fps with future of 8K 60fps with support to stream to youtube at the same time.. I never tried project stream but if it works as advertise this will blow away pretty much any hardware you can build. Also it looks like they are going after twitch hard, and if they can pull it off, it will be a superior platform to twitch. I also miss split screen it's strange why console games have it while PC games do not. looking at you borderlands.

One thing they never mentioned was the price or the monitization of it. Will it be like netflix where 4K cost more? I have to think this platform has to be at least $20 bucks a month + the cost of games, unless they do something like Microsoft game pass. rendering on top of streaming video has to be very expensive.

While I essentially agree, I think there will be a viable audience for this somewhere in between gamers who care about their game experience at one end, and the (many) people who are satisfied with playing match-3 games on their phone at the other. At least, there would be if Apple did it. Will be interesting to see how well it does for Google. They don't have a great record of long term support for these novelty products.

Reactions: raz-0
like this
I'm sure this could have good applications for many types of games/devices, and certainly great applications from a server back-end perspective for online games, but I don't see how introducing latency and input lag can be anything but a downgrade from our current situation.

While I essentially agree, I think there will be a viable audience for this somewhere in between gamers who care about their game experience at one end, and the (many) people who are satisfied with playing match-3 games on their phone at the other. At least, there would be if Apple did it. Will be interesting to see how well it does for Google. They don't have a great record of long term support for these novelty products.
Amazon has it working for the CryEngine for their open world MMO, Microsoft has it working for the Newest Forza game as well as a slew of other titles. If Google is serious there is an opertunity here for them.

I'm definitely not on board with this streaming stuff. I'm all for streaming from my gaming pc, or console but not the whole 'receiving it as a service'.

Can yall imagine the load of say... the number of people who play games... on a datacenter and internet infrastructure? I can also imagine that instead of paying for a console or to build a gaming PC, you'll just have to pay a LOT more to ISPs.

I played the Assassin's Creed Odyssey Google stream beta and came away impressed with the performance...

This is good for casual gaming, which I guess at this point is a large percentage of the market (if you include mobile), but for competitive, VR or the (large) percentage of the country that doesn't have both high bandwidth and low latency internet, it's a no go. Still, if this covers 80% of the market satisfactorily (I'm skeptical, but even if it's half), that's a huge market for providers.

I played the Assassin's Creed Odyssey Google stream beta and came away impressed with the performance...
I for some reason couldn't get it to launch. It kept saying my connection was bad and good at the same time. 100mbps down, with good ping. I have no idea what the issue was.

why would this stick versus the attempts that failed in the past. did Google figure out quantum entanglement?

If all gaming goes this way... comcast will own everyone's homes because their data cap's suck and they charge overage fees once you hit your limit (many other providers have data caps too). It is impressive tech, however, I have to worry about breaching my data cap just by streaming 4K video. Unless Google is rolling out no data cap fiber everywhere, this will be messy.

Im in depending on the library.. but most likely im in.
My connection should handle it.

Im all for it if it pulls more people in! ill stick with my hardware solution, but for many who want a turn key solution, with no hardware knowledge needed. Bam instant cross platform gaming. AMD's stock sure got a shot in the arm from this announcement!

How can they say no cheat or hacking? An aim bot is client side that detects pixels and sends inputs. So this streaming tech on a PC is still susceptible to 75% of cheats people use. Yeah you can't hack game files but most cheats are things like client side input bots.

How can they say no cheat or hacking? An aim bot is client side that detects pixels and sends inputs. So this streaming tech on a PC is still susceptible to 75% of cheats people use. Yeah you can't hack game files but most cheats are things like client side input bots.

Only way back in the day did people use colored Aim bots, DOOM, Quake, CS. They are not really efficient since, they sometimes fire at landscape, dead bodies, when you mouse over them. With today's 1080p+ graphics it makes these aim bots harder to design granted you could turn down all your graphics settings. With google. im sure even at 1080 everything is going to be at ultra settings which will make these bots very hard to develop. Also with no game packets or game files it takes away current ways to create an aim bot.

Back