Google Fiber Is Coming To Salt Lake City

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google Fiber is coming to another city most of us don't live in. Sour grapes aside, congrats to the folks in Salt Lake City for getting in on the gigabit goodness. :)

Salt Lake has more than breathtaking mountain vistas and fantastic ski slopes. It also hosts a booming technology sector, world-renowned universities and a vibrant local culture. We’re looking forward to seeing Salt Lake residents use gigabit Internet to spark creative ideas, jumpstart businesses and collaborate in ways they couldn't before.

Screw them! Mormon's are not supposed to have anything that gives them pleasurable feelings, hence no fiber for them!

Married, Mormon, and I have 1 wife. I get plenty of pleasure. ;)

Great news, makes sense since Provo isn't that far away.

Screw them! Mormon's are not supposed to have anything that gives them pleasurable feelings, hence no fiber for them!

Love how people still think that Utah only has Mormons. SLC proper (the city that's actually getting Google Fiber) actually has more non-Mormons than Mormons.

I wonder if anyone can legitimately answer this question. What are the primary factors when Google considers a potential city? Is there a basic criteria that the cities must have in order to even be considered? I've yet to find a credible source other than blogs and anecdotal stories so I was hoping anyone would know.

Nothing happens for years here in Raleigh with AT&T and Time Warner.. then Google Fiber is announced and.. WHAM.. suddenly Time Warner begins 'Maxx' Upgrades in North Carolina from 50/5 to 300/20 at no cost.. AT&T drops Gigapower prices $50.. and this past week my street and lawn sprouted blue and yellow spray paint lines showing where the water and power lines are located!!

If nothing else, the threat of future Google Fiber spurs other companies to get off their behinds and up their service!!

I wonder if anyone can legitimately answer this question. What are the primary factors when Google considers a potential city? Is there a basic criteria that the cities must have in order to even be considered? I've yet to find a credible source other than blogs and anecdotal stories so I was hoping anyone would know.

I know favorable tax laws... and I'm sure lots of leeway when it comes to permits and other typical red tape crap cities like to pull to increase revenue.

I just want them to come to Dallas/Fort Worth -- so so so bad.

I know favorable tax laws... and I'm sure lots of leeway when it comes to permits and other typical red tape crap cities like to pull to increase revenue.

Do you have an article off-hand that goes in-depth about this? Besides the debacle currently going on with Oregon.

Love how people still think that Utah only has Mormons. SLC proper (the city that's actually getting Google Fiber) actually has more non-Mormons than Mormons.
Yeah it's kind of like how people refer to San Francisco as the place with the hippies, or the gays, or the homeless, or whatever... even though those groups actually make up a rather small portion of the overall population. i.e. get over it, yes SLC is probably going to be forever known as the Mormon kingdom even if Mormons are no longer in that city ;)

I just want them to come to Dallas/Fort Worth -- so so so bad.

Don't forget existing infrastructure must be there. No way in hell Google is going to build everything from the ground up. Dark fiber is the key to getting wired up GoogleFiber

Does Google outsource all their Field Ops and support or do they actually have some of that in house?

Places with internet like this are at the top of my move list. Doesn't salt lake city have pollution problems though? Like smog problems and what not

Back when I worked for the phone company, I spent 2 weeks there for training. It was just before the Olympics. They were building highways, housing, entertainment, and with each one running all kinds of underground utilitys. It already was a "modern city" when built and even more so after that. They were ready.

Btw: it is a beautiful place. 1 hour drive one way to go skiing the other swimming, the other vegas! If I can bring myself to ever leave NY that's where I am going. 1 more reason now.

YES!!!! THE BEST NEWS OF THE DAY!!!! WOOHOO!!!

Oh and for those of you wondering, I have one wife too ;) haha One is MORE than enough.

@Steve...

Im gonna need some IP addresses of some of these posters, so I can send some of our Elders to spread the word about another testament of Jesus Christ.

As this picture denotes... the LDS folks are hardly the biggest thing going on in SLC.

1389295381-10-hottest-housing-markets-2014-salt-lake-city.jpg

Nothing happens for years here in Raleigh with AT&T and Time Warner.. then Google Fiber is announced and.. WHAM.. suddenly Time Warner begins 'Maxx' Upgrades in North Carolina from 50/5 to 300/20 at no cost.. AT&T drops Gigapower prices $50.. and this past week my street and lawn sprouted blue and yellow spray paint lines showing where the water and power lines are located!!

If nothing else, the threat of future Google Fiber spurs other companies to get off their behinds and up their service!!

And in every city where it's not coming, they stick with their same ass tiered speed plans with no chance of budging, even though anyone who reads news online knows they're doing it in other cities.

I doubt this will make it to where I live as I technically don't live in what is zoned as Salt Lake (im 15 min away), it should it at least get Comcast to give the same promo as they do in provo where is its like $50 for 250mb internet or something like that.

I wonder if news like this causes the MPAA, Cable companies and Hollywood in general experience a moment of IBS every time they read these types of stories and try to use cognitive dissonance to tell themselves, it's not a threat:

'Oh, look at the news. Another few more cities worth of people will have access to 1000Mb/sec transfer speeds so you could download a 2GBs worth of decently encoded 720p content in a mere 17 seconds or so from person to person. 17 seconds per hour of tv or 30 seconds per movie...hmm...

I'm sure they'll still pay us $120 for cable and $20/movie in theatres, right? b/c of the quality of our ...theatre experience and cable services? Yes, yes. Our system will still work. No need to update it. Noooo need at all.'

In other news, Telus and Shaw Cable in Canada are starting to charge customers $15/month (first year intro rate) and $30 after per month for 'unlimited bandwidth'. I pay about $60.00 for 3MB/sec and 200GB per month which means I can tap out my internet connection speed for about 18 hours a month. If I go beyond tapping our my maximum speed for more than 18 hours a month, they want an additional $30.00....uhhh...can we get Google Fiber up here in Canada ASAP please.

Still not available, planned or considered anywhere I'd want to live.

Will keep on waiting :p

Glad to see there are plenty of LDS members here. Some of these comments are wayyyy outside the scope and quite misinformed. Ive lived in over a dozen cities and Salt Lake is #2 just below San Antonio... Its an awesome place, Mormon or not. The city is built well and among if not the most modern city I've come to know personally.

Glad to see there are plenty of LDS members here. Some of these comments are wayyyy outside the scope and quite misinformed. Ive lived in over a dozen cities and Salt Lake is #2 just below San Antonio... Its an awesome place, Mormon or not. The city is built well and among if not the most modern city I've come to know personally.

A lot of people don't understand the difference between LDS and FLDS unfortunately.

LDS are the friendly, drama free ones, who took the humorous musical "Book of Mormon" in stride, where as most other religious would either be publishing outrage or blowing people up over something like that.

Now the FLDS on the other hand, those folks are nuts.

Zarathustra[H];1041506230 said:
A lot of people don't understand the difference between LDS and FLDS unfortunately.

LDS are the friendly, drama free ones, who took the humorous musical "Book of Mormon" in stride, where as most other religious would either be publishing outrage or blowing people up over something like that.

Now the FLDS on the other hand, those folks are nuts.

Of all the various sects of Christianity I would say that lds are the least worrisome in their beliefs. You are right people think Mormon and mostly think flds which is its own special crazy. Sadly this perception is mostly driven by other Christian sects mud slinging attempting to discredit anyone who dares accept science which generally lds do. The biggest tragedy in all that is most Christians are so I'll informed about their religion they don't even question it. Kinda sad really how little people know about something that is supposedly an eternal choice.

Isn't that what a free market is supposed to do?
You know, the opposite of monopoly practices :D

I can't wait till they bring that up to Montana in 2137 :rolleyes:

Of all the various sects of Christianity I would say that lds are the least worrisome in their beliefs. You are right people think Mormon and mostly think flds which is its own special crazy. Sadly this perception is mostly driven by other Christian sects mud slinging attempting to discredit anyone who dares accept science which generally lds do. The biggest tragedy in all that is most Christians are so I'll informed about their religion they don't even question it. Kinda sad really how little people know about something that is supposedly an eternal choice.

Agreed.

I would even argue that the people who consider themselves the most fervent Christians are usually those who hold the least christian world views, but that is neither here nor there.

It is unfair to stereotype, but my image of Mormons tends to be one of kind, well intentioned people who don't sweat the small stuff and who unlike some groups are open to discussing alternate points of view without taking it as an offense or attack on their religion. The image includes a little bit of a Ned Flanders thing going on who can often come across a little stale and uninteresting but generally good, even though occasionally conversations about salamanders, buried plates, missionary stuff and storing food for disaster can come across as a little odd/crazy to those who aren't used to it.

But that's the stereotype, and while there is an ounce of truth to most stereotypes, people are people and as such they fall all over the spectrum :p

Society would likely be a better place if self proclaimed Christians were more like Mormons.

But that's coming from me, aspiritual north-eastener of catholic upbringing.

(I hate the term atheist, as it carries so many negative anti-religion connotations to many, so I prefer aspiritual)

Well, most analysts I have read on the topic, going back to when Google Fiber was first announced have suggested that Google really doesn't want to be in the ISP business and have no desire to roll out nation wide.

They realize their business model benefits from more people on the internet at higher speeds, so they are trying to scare the established ISP's into competing.

I - for one - don't think the strategy will work overall, as the ISP's just become competitive in the small local markets where Google has rolled out, continuing to over-charge and under-deliver everywhere else, so if Google wants to have that effect, they are going to have to roll out everywhere.

While I have high hopes for some day having Google fiber, I feel the Boston area is going to be one of the last to get it based on a few factors:

1.) Since Google's goal is to get more people online at higher speeds, they can have the biggest impact by going for places that currently have little to no competition and thus low speeds, at the same time as they have large-ish dense populations, making reaching more people with less infrastructure easier.

2.) The will likely go for areas with the least regulatory and tax burdens first.

Boston - while not perfect - already has some competition. I can get both Comcast and FiOS at my address. (I know, pick your poison) but it is still better than most places in the U.S. that don't already have Google Fiber.

Boston is also tough from a regulatory perspective. No, not what you are thinking. It's not "those damned liberals and their business killing regulations". it's the fact that Boston is an old city grown together with other old cities and towns surrounding it.

While it is the 6th largest metro area in the country with (trailing very close behind San Fancisco) with just north of 8 million people, the city itself (often referred to as Boston proper) is rather small, at only ~650,000 people. The rest of the people live in a mish-mash of small, grown-together cities of towns that form the Boston metro area.

So, anyone coming in and negotiating to deploy cable and internet service in the area has to deal with many city/town governments all with their differing requirements and stipulations, some with town monopolies with one provider or another, some without.

Verizon ran into this during their FiOS deployment. originally they had announced that they would be rolling out to the entire metro area, but they got beaten down by the process of having to deal individually with each city and town and eventually gave up. So now, some cities and towns have FiOS, some don't, and since borders go right through the semi urban area, sometimes a house on one side of the street can get it, and on the other not.

Zarathustra[H];1041506498 said:
(I hate the term atheist, as it carries so many negative anti-religion connotations to many, so I prefer aspiritual)

"Humanist" is another good alternative to athiest. Sometimes it is nice to attribute the great things we have and great things people do to actual people and not "thank god" like some are prone.

Sort of on the subject: My dad is the only athiest out of some 15 siblings -- all of the others are Mormons. There's a fair number of them around the Kansas City area for some reason.

Very interesting to see the direction that this thread has gone.

I find it ironic that most Christian religions don't even consider us(LDS, Mormons) Christian (by their own definition, which they can't even seem to agree upon between themselves), even though our faith is firmly centered on Jesus Christ. Last I checked, pretty much the only requirement to be considered a "Christian" is faith in Jesus Christ.

Yes, on the surface, some of our beliefs can be a bit odd/crazy. But if someone thinks they're odd or crazy (which I've had plenty of people do) then I usually just shrug it off and laugh. I can't blame them, on the surface, they do seem odd or crazy. Most new or foreign ideas/beliefs are labeled as odd/crazy, not much I can do about that other than do my best to explain it in a level-headed manner, and shrug it off when someone gets offensive/aggressive.

Personally, I've questioned it many times. In fact, it is generally encouraged that people question and come to a personal belief themselves, rather than have it forced on them/brainwashed/whatever. But, there are a few crazies out there, every group has 'em.

At the end of the day, I see it as a religion that tries its best to promote tolerance, love, respect, justice and self-improvement, and the achievement of such are accomplished upon the basis of an abiding faith in Jesus Christ.

At the end of the day, I see it as a religion that tries its best to promote tolerance, love, respect, justice and self-improvement, and the achievement of such are accomplished upon the basis of an abiding faith in Jesus Christ.

Oh how much better our country and world would be if all christians and religions felt the same way.

It may not be my city, but it does scratch off another city from the list until mine is chosen!

And I also like how they are scaring other services. Neat.

Let's put LDS discussions in their own thread. This thread is about Google Fiber.

Let's put LDS discussions in their own thread. This thread is about Google Fiber.

Unfortunately, you can't mention Utah without it turning into a Mormon thread.

In other words, here's to hoping Google expands a bit north to include the Ogden area. That way they would have most of the wasatch front covered, and really put the squeeze to century link and Comcast.

We already know Google fiber is decent (see screenshot below), and we now know it's going to SLC, so this thread's job is already done. Who cares what else is discussed in it.

4241913932.png

Usually it's higher. Must be network congestion.

Back