Google Fiber Is Coming to Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville and Raleigh-Durham

HardOCP News

[H] News
Good news! Google Fiber is coming to four more cities across the US. Bad news! Unless you live in Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville or Raleigh-Durham you are still out of luck.

Now, Google Fiber is live in Kansas City, Provo and Austin, and we've started to see how gigabit Internet, with speeds up to 100 times faster than today’s basic broadband, can transform cities. It can give them new platforms for economic development and new ways of using technology to improve life for their citizens. And, around the country, it seems to be catching on.

As a Nashville resident, I am happy that Google is coming. I bet a lot of people could benefit from the free (after $300 fee) 5 Mb/1Mb service. The 1 Gb service is appealing as well.

I am satisfied with my Uverse Power tier (45 Mb/5 Mb), and Comcast also has 50 Mb and 105 Mb service in the city. But having competition is almost always a good thing, and 1 Gb download and upload can't be beat (I am still skeptical Uverse will bring 1 Gb internet to Nashville, at least to any large number of users).

The tough part now is the wait. It apparently took about 20 months to get Austin and Kansas City wired and ready for service, so I won't be changing providers anytime soon.

This is not Cruiser Lake, I specifically requested Cruiser Lake, Ontario.

What the hell is wrong with Google? Don't they appreciate their customers?

Google Fiber ain't going to go north enough in atlanta :( i think it wotn get past the perimiter

They need to go 5 hours SE of ATL and bring it to Brunswick, GA, or at least, do the line, Savannah GA to Jax FLA, I'm in the middle, that would be nice.

Good news, but not enough. I want them to have the entrenched, fat, lazy, and complacent cable companies running scared.

Wish they or anyone would install fiber here in south orange county, just to give Cox a little competition. Lack of choice and too expensive.

5/1mbit for $35 (too slow, especially for $35/month))
50/5 for $62
100/10 for $74

Prices will likely be $3-$5 month more by next month.
They always seem to give a "free" speed increase during the summer followed by big price increase after the 1st of the year. (so much for free)

I'd be fine with something in the 35-30mbit range at a lower price, but the only lower cost option is specifically slowed down so much as to be unusable for most people. Only other option is DSL at 384 kb.

They announced San Antonio around this time last year and not a peep about it since.

I am in Raleigh with 50/5 from Time Warner and, ever since my oldest son has been away at college most of the time, I haven't had any problems with speed.. although I do envy his 100/100 at NC State. Would like to have more upstream than just 5!!

Good news, but not enough. I want them to have the entrenched, fat, lazy, and complacent cable companies running scared.

Like to think this is having some effect.. during this past summer my Motorola 6141 went to 8/4 bounding channels, and supposedly sometime this year TWC Maxx will upgrade so that "customers who subscribe to the Ultimate plan, formerly up to 100 Mbps, will receive up to 300 Mbps – three times their current speeds, at no extra charge".

Will be nice to be at 100 or more but not necessary for what I or my family does.. unless my son comes back to live with us!! But by then (2 years) hopefully Google Fiber will actually be up and running!!

We desperately need something better than Windstream here in north Georgia because no other providers have service where I live. The maximum speed (not for all) is only 24mbps, which I finally got after waiting for 8 years.

Which is why, it is a civic duty to throw money at Google if you live in those areas.. they need to succeed & expand!

Google Fiber ain't going to go north enough in atlanta :( i think it wotn get past the perimiter

Looks like they're going as far north as Sandy Springs.

They need to go 5 hours SE of ATL and bring it to Brunswick, GA, or at least, do the line, Savannah GA to Jax FLA, I'm in the middle, that would be nice.
I'm in the Brookhaven area. A bunch of my neighbors and I have launched an all-out assault on the property management company for our loft building to get it wired for GF. They're on board, so it should be a slam dunk. :)

I live near Atlanta and the many surrounding cities that are going to get it, but from what i have read about the other fiber deployments you have to live within the city limits or you are SOL. If that holds true here then I am SOL until i can move :p

One day, in the near future, I might be able to have Google Fiber in my city. I know it will eventually happen, but it's not happening fast enough. Google, or somebody, needs to put At&T, comcrap, and others, in their rightful place.

Balls. I'm sure Nashville is a close as Google Fiber will ever be to me and that is 5 hours away.

Looks like they're going as far north as Sandy Springs.
That's dumb. All the wealthy people are north of there. That's why the Braves moved.

Of course any city DUMB enough to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build a 19% larger football stadium right next to the old one, instead of BADLY needed infrastructure like ROADS doesn't deserve the infrastructure. That city is so mismanaged...

That's dumb. All the wealthy people are north of there. That's why the Braves moved.

Of course any city DUMB enough to spend hundreds of millions of dollars to build a 19% larger football stadium right next to the old one, instead of BADLY needed infrastructure like ROADS doesn't deserve the infrastructure. That city is so mismanaged...
The braves moved to Smyrna/Cobb, which is another area that is getting google fiber.

Sooooo glad they are coming to Nashville. I'm about 20 min north of there and I hope the coverage goes north about 20 miles...

Does anyone know if Google will be utilizing RST's fiber in the Charlotte area? I am 105 miles west&north and RST has fiber one mile from my house - as does ERC, TWC via Duke Energy, AT&T via Bell South, and Frontier via Verizon - and there are zero residential offerings...hoping this will help!

so close to memphis, doubt poverty stricken memphis will ever get fiber. sheesh.

And it's full of republicans that would probably complain that it's unfair competition to Comcast and AT&T. Or at least the leadership up there will let those companies ghostwrite a complaint...

Of course, my neighborhood is JUST outside their estimated deployment zones here in Charlotte.

For fucks sake.

One thing is sure, Google fiber will never come to Chicago...

I am in Raleigh with 50/5 from Time Warner and, ever since my oldest son has been away at college most of the time, I haven't had any problems with speed.. although I do envy his 100/100 at NC State. Would like to have more upstream than just 5!!

Like to think this is having some effect.. during this past summer my Motorola 6141 went to 8/4 bounding channels, and supposedly sometime this year TWC Maxx will upgrade so that "customers who subscribe to the Ultimate plan, formerly up to 100 Mbps, will receive up to 300 Mbps – three times their current speeds, at no extra charge".

If you own your own modem, you will need a 16x4 SB6183 for anything higher than 100/10 on TWC. Even though SB6141 can go much higher, TWC will only provision them to 100/10.

Pretty pumped about Google Fiber in Durham!

Will be nice to be at 100 or more but not necessary for what I or my family does.. unless my son comes back to live with us!! But by then (2 years) hopefully Google Fiber will actually be up and running!!

300Mbps is nice but will your upload speed change? The upgrade will not be worth it to me if my upload speed remains at 5Mbps.

Back