Google Fiber Continues Awful ISP Tradition of Banning Servers

burst is bullshit the industry uses to inflate what they sell you. Absolute bullshit. I thought the whole freaking point of google fiber was exactly that, to see where people unhindered by throttling and limits would take the internet. Now we see all it really is, is marketing BS and google trying to secure vertical integration controlling even the very packets that come and go from your computer that are not destined to their own services.

Has anyone reached out to google to find out their policy on adding a server? What the additional cost per month would be? Or is it.. "Booo Google is baaaad?" ok done move along.

Policy is COMMERCIAL servers. They don't care if you host a L4D2 match or Minecraft server on your connection.

If you needed any proof that there are a lot of fucking idiots on this forum don't read articles or even care to REMOTELY get your shit straight before commenting... this thread is it.

As for servers, what I have is a personal cloud (Tonido) which I most often use to stream my music collection from home to my mobile device or my PC at work, teamviewer for remote access and every now and then hosting a game. I’ve never hosted anything to the general public. I have a domain, DHPC, print, DNS and file server that is internal only. Never received any letters for the 5 years I’ve had Verizon FIOS

burst is bullshit the industry uses to inflate what they sell you. Absolute bullshit. I thought the whole freaking point of google fiber was exactly that, to see where people unhindered by throttling and limits would take the internet. Now we see all it really is, is marketing BS and google trying to secure vertical integration controlling even the very packets that come and go from your computer that are not destined to their own services.

You seem to have quite the hard-on for hating Google.

If you're promised 30Mbps speeds, and get on average when you use it 1-5Mbps (not server related) then you have some beef. Burst in this case is saying a thousand people can't all download at 1Gbps because the trunk going into the city isn't rated for 1Tbps, that's hardly bullshit marketing, in fact I really would like you to find any ISP that if everyone used their connection at the same time would get the maximum advertised speeds..

Now again if your 1Gbps slows to 10Mbps during certain hours (and it's not a saturation issue from whatever you're trying to access) then you have a point. In fact that's half the point of them putting into place a policy like this because someone is bound to setup a business or open server that will saturate that 1Gbps at most times during the day removing that much overhead from the trunk. One person ain't going to spoil the bunch, but another, and another, and before you know it the entire system is like you're on an old DSL line as far as speeds.

So by "burst" I mean you'll have the ability to download that 4GB DVD in 40 seconds (assuming wherever you're grabbing it from can push to those speeds to you), that doesn't mean you should get your panties in a twist because you're unable to do download 2000 DVDs a day.

I run a server at home. It hosts all kinds of shit I use. Shit that friends use. But it's not a public server. Public being the key word here. I've even hosted some websites from my home server.

The only difference between a business and residential connection is the amount you pay per month and the "supposed" level of support you receive from the ISP.

Back in the old days some isp's wouldn't let you use routers.

Then after they allowed routers they claimed you couldn't have more than 4 computers connected to it unless you paid extra $. I remember some idiot ISP stipulating that.

I'm trying to find the article, but a few years ago, an independent online radio station operator was signed up for either Comcast or Time Warner's business class internet line and received a notice that he was approaching the data cap. Yet the subscription said unlimited data. He tried to ask what the data cap was and the ISP refused to disclose it. Eventually his internet was cut off for a year. I know he took action against the ISP, but I can't remember the specifics after that. Still looking for the article.

Direct from Google's Fiber Team for those who still believe Google is being shady about it,

Our Terms of Service prohibit running a server. However, use of applications such as multi-player gaming, video-conferencing, home security and others which may include server capabilities but are being used for legal and non-commercial purposes are acceptable and encouraged.

James S.,
The Google Fiber Team

Back in the old days some isp's wouldn't let you use routers.

Yep, I remember those days. Comcast only allowed one internet connection per subscription. If you wanted more than one computer in your house to have an internet connection you would have to pay more. I guess back then it was uncommon for the average household to have more than one computer.

Dafuq? And people accept these terms? I'm sure my ISP has somekind of restrictions

in the fineprint,

but I have never heard of any being enforced (but this is EU). I can basically do what ever I wan't, when

ever. I could upload a TB per day and they wouldn't give a fukk as long as I pay my bill.

God damnit don't you dare bring common sense into this rant!

Just tired of seeing morons who cannot actually read about what they are commenting on.

*I would hint at the post above this one, but that would clearly be mean :p *

I always found this policy retarded. What is the point of extreme high speed if you can't host your own servers? With a gig damn right I'd want to host my own servers, why pay 100's per month to host in a data centre if I have the bandwidth at home? heck with access to a gig I'd probably start my own small colo. I'm paying for the service, I should be able to use it how I please. Imagine if grocery stores restricted what you can do with food such as not allowing to feed anyone but yourself, as the buyer. Basically same thing.

I always found this policy retarded. What is the point of extreme high speed if you can't host your own servers? With a gig damn right I'd want to host my own servers, why pay 100's per month to host in a data centre if I have the bandwidth at home? heck with access to a gig I'd probably start my own small colo. I'm paying for the service, I should be able to use it how I please. Imagine if grocery stores restricted what you can do with food such as not allowing to feed anyone but yourself, as the buyer. Basically same thing.

I'm pretty sure datacenters also do not pay $70/month alone for their net service either.... That idea would be almost as great as the genius that rents a car without insurance, totals it due to stupidity, then blames the rental place for charging him for it because he is paying the rental fee, so he can do anything he wants with it. Basically, same thing.

I'm pretty sure datacenters also do not pay $70/month alone for their net service either.... That idea would be almost as great as the genius that rents a car without insurance, totals it due to stupidity, then blames the rental place for charging him for it because he is paying the rental fee, so he can do anything he wants with it. Basically, same thing.

Except you can't break anything physical with the internet, bad comparision.

Heck just offer the option to pay a few bucks extra to be able to run servers. If they are providing 1gb they should ensure to provision enough resources with assumption it will be used.

Indeed, not the best of comparison, but if their "vision" or whatever it is they want to call it is to become a reality for the country to be hooked up to fiber, surely it is understandable for disallowing commercial servers on their connection. (Some people pay $70 - $ 120 /month for Satellite @ 1.5Mbit or 3G wireless broadband as home internet, which makes Google's offering even more enticing for it's price)

I'm sure though in the future, when it is more widely available they would be offering a "business" package for a higher price without the limitations.

I don't really have a problem with this. When they sell you a Internet connection, the price is likely based off the 97th percentile of user data usage.

Just because a semi drives on the road doesn't mean it has the same rules to follow as a car.

Come on guys its fine to say that the vast majority of people aren't suppose to do that but the WHOLE POINT of google fiber is to push the boundaries of what can be done in the home. Not tell people oh well to many connections get out. Who is to say the future of the internet is not thousands of connections to home based servers that do all sorts of things in your house. Whos to say the people of the future need to go to work, maybe they can all be free lance and small business working out of the home.

Come on guys its fine to say that the vast majority of people aren't suppose to do that but the WHOLE POINT of google fiber is to push the boundaries of what can be done in the home. Not tell people oh well to many connections get out. Who is to say the future of the internet is not thousands of connections to home based servers that do all sorts of things in your house. Whos to say the people of the future need to go to work, maybe they can all be free lance and small business working out of the home.

Bingo. And who's to say we'll even need to rely soley on large scale data centres, but rather everyone will just run their own infrastructure in house. The excuse of not enough bandwidth needs to go away, we need to simply increase the bandwidth, not limit things.

How much you want to bet the biggest complaints come from people with their old wireless B routers screaming they're not able to connect with N or achieve their full speeds?
As someone who worked tech support I find it amazing that the people that complain the most buy the cheapest crap and blame the ISP.

Actually I thought the point of Google Fiber is to wake the fuck up and enter the 21st century with broadband infrastructure that doesn't rely on outdated technology like DSL and Cable internet, and show how it can be done and be affordable not costing $45 for a 3Mbps DSL line, or $100+ a month for a 100Mbps line. It was a push to catch up to Asian countries who lay down fiber all over the place and make it super cheap, it was a push to show that internet speeds have barely crept up over the decades compared to how fast our computers run, our storage capacity has grown, and file sizes have gotten large. Not to see who can run a business and host their own stuff, there's too much of a cloud push to make me think that's the direction anyone wants to go.

Actually I thought the point of Google Fiber is to wake the fuck up and enter the 21st century with broadband infrastructure that doesn't rely on outdated technology like DSL and Cable internet, and show how it can be done and be affordable not costing $45 for a 3Mbps DSL line, or $100+ a month for a 100Mbps line. It was a push to catch up to Asian countries who lay down fiber all over the place and make it super cheap, it was a push to show that internet speeds have barely crept up over the decades compared to how fast our computers run, our storage capacity has grown, and file sizes have gotten large. Not to see who can run a business and host their own stuff, there's too much of a cloud push to make me think that's the direction anyone wants to go.

I am not sure how painfully slowly rolling out fiber to a VERY few select odd cities constitutes what you are claiming.

I am not sure how painfully slowly rolling out fiber to a VERY few select odd cities constitutes what you are claiming.

Maybe showing that it can be done, and you don't need to charge people $300 a month for it? I don't think Google wants to be in the fiber business, they just want to get their foot in the door, show it can be done, perhaps get other municipalities to do it... using their hardware of course... and let it go from there.

I mean look at Verizon, everyone and their mother got hardons over it thinking it was going to be the thing to have... then Verizon did an about face, part of which due to their costs to roll out what they did along with their direction to go more wireless.

Losing a ton of money doesn't show people that it can be done, it shows people that it is an experiment.

Hi ,

Thanks for contacting Google Fiber! The only thing that's banned per the Terms of Service is operating servers for commercial purposes, like hosting business services. You can run personal file servers and game servers, as long as they aren't commercial enterprises. We include high upload rates as part of the service because we can; Google's intent is to improve the quality of residential internet and what it can be. If you have any further questions, feel free to contact us at 866-777-7550.

Thank you,
Bob
The Google Fiber Team

On 08/15/13 11:47:20 [email protected] wrote:

If hosting servers on residential lines violates the ToS, then why offer
such high upload speeds?

first_name:
last_name:
FiberAccountId:
email_prefill:
other_email:
issue_type: General Google Fiber question