Google Ends Self-Censorship, Defies China Government

HardOCP News

[H] News
Google finally made the move to end censorship in China and the Chinese government is not happy about it at all. It will be interesting to see what China does next. Are we taking bets?

Google Inc. defied China’s self- censorship rules by redirecting mainland Chinese users to an unfiltered Hong Kong Web site, threatening its ability to operate in the world’s largest Internet market.

Google just made a huge mistake; they should of just left China altogether.

This wont end well.

I guess China has a right to impose its own laws in China, and Google has a right to leave if they dont like the rules.

Mind you, it does not feel like a win win situation, now does it?

Google should just shut down and leave China

no sense in whining about Commie China, they've always played by their own rules, they will keep doing so untill they have a government change which changes everything from top to bottom, which likely won't happen.

Google should just shut down and leave China

no sense in whining about Commie China, they've always played by their own rules, they will keep doing so untill they have a government change which changes everything from top to bottom, which likely won't happen.

The only meaningful change in China has to come from the bottom up, not from the top down.

"Hong Kong has a separate government and economy -- a legacy of its role as a British territory until 1997. At the time of the handover, China promised to preserve Hong Kong’s capitalist system and free press for an additional 50 years."

Things just became more interesting with this move.

Wow I'm impressed. I never gave google's "don't be evil" motto much credence, but they sure should me. Too bad MS and other US companies likely won't follow.

Just for fun, I went to google.cn. It sent me over to google.hk, and I was able to search "democracy in china" :p

wait, didn't google officially announce they were pulling out though? what the?

I mean this is cool and all, but a lumbering giant like google trying to SURPRISE anyone by saying one thing and then doing quite the other as if to misdirect seems a bit odd. Why not just either say this is what they were going to do in the first place, or just do it and not say they were pulling out? I'm just a little confused by this.

wait, didn't google officially announce they were pulling out though? what the?.

No. Most of the recent Google pull out news blurbs have been from an unnamed sales person or something equally as silly. Google itself has only just threatened it and done some posturing and dick waving.

we mad long time

:D priceless!

It doesnt matter. The great firewall of china will just get more strict

:D I see what you did there.

Just for fun, I went to google.cn. It sent me over to google.hk, and I was able to search "democracy in china" :p

I got the same result, but it seems that some searches iether have never been done before or they are being filtered, as "F*CK China" resulted in "China only wants whats best". I seriously LOL'd for a good 5 mins.

There is so much money to be made for Google in China, I think they are resistant to leave.

Wow I'm impressed. I never gave google's "don't be evil" motto much credence, but they sure should me. Too bad MS and other US companies likely won't follow.

Didn't Yahoo already pledge they would leave China in support of Google if they pulled out, oh wait, substantial US company. On the other hand, not like MS gets all that much actual Chinese business considering the shit storm when they turned on WGA in China (worth say a 1 billion dollar law suite from China, from disruptions caused to Chinese gov't computers).

Didn't Yahoo already pledge they would leave China in support of Google if they pulled out, oh wait, substantial US company.

I highly doubt it. Yahoo has much invested in China. They bought 40% (at the time) of Alibaba for a cool Billion in actual cash + their assets in China...like Yahoo! China for example. So I do not see them leaving.....but who knows. ;)

So china government going to add some more rules to the firewall. Nothing new here.

Not sure if anyone else on this page is actually in China, but I am. As it stands, this is the absolute best possible outcome, and I'll be elated if it actually stays this way. Why?

Because now Google has forced the gov'ts hand -- instead of carrying out censorship FOR them, they've pulled back and made it so that the Chinese have to censor the searches themselves. What's the difference, you say? The difference is in who's responsible, the same as if the government stopped forcing you to spy on your neighbor, and just started doing it themselves. Sure, your neighbor's situation is bad, but at least you're an honest man now.

And since the government responded with filters, rather than a complete shutdown of everything starting with http://google.whatever, the users win too. We get to keep Google docs, Gmail, Google maps, and everything else. We're no worse off than we were before, and now the firewall administrators are doing their own dirty work. Brings it all out in the open.

They will sacrifice their business there. Nothin more, nothing less. You don't like the rules, you don't have to play.

There is so much money to be made for Google in China, I think they are resistant to leave.

And since the government responded with filters, rather than a complete shutdown of everything starting with http://google.whatever, the users win too. We get to keep Google docs, Gmail, Google maps, and everything else. We're no worse off than we were before, and now the firewall administrators are doing their own dirty work. Brings it all out in the open.

Only two decent posts in this thread. We all would like Google to wave its dick and say Yar! We out! But why won't they? Cause there is huge money in the chinese internet, that's why. There is simply enough financial gain to merit Google still trying to fight a losing battle.

Only two decent posts in this thread. We all would like Google to wave its dick and say Yar! We out! But why won't they? Cause there is huge money in the chinese internet, that's why. There is simply enough financial gain to merit Google still trying to fight a losing battle.

If Google "wins" this "losing battle" then it'll be a Pyrrhic victory

(I'm proud I wrote that sentence)

Not sure if anyone else on this page is actually in China, but I am. As it stands, this is the absolute best possible outcome, and I'll be elated if it actually stays this way. Why?

Because now Google has forced the gov'ts hand -- instead of carrying out censorship FOR them, they've pulled back and made it so that the Chinese have to censor the searches themselves. What's the difference, you say? The difference is in who's responsible, the same as if the government stopped forcing you to spy on your neighbor, and just started doing it themselves. Sure, your neighbor's situation is bad, but at least you're an honest man now.

Interesting points. And maybe that is Google's thinking: Before the Hong Kong "expiration," the Chinese government might figure out that the effort in implementing censorship is more onerous than actually being open.

looks like its more profitable for them to go censor Australia's internet

they'll fuck over anyone for the right amount of coin

Google should have told the Chinese government too fuck off and stick it up their asses, nobody likes censorship, the Chinese government is so strict and paranoid when it comes to everything.

China is only a big money maker because they have such an abundance of paid slave (and some times even unpaid) labor. Kinda like the US all those years ago. Not to mention countless other scams and frauds.

I don't much like China...can you tell? :3

I'm sure you are very upset over the prices you have to pay for goods manufactured there, like 99% of the stuff inside your computer.

Yeah so let's support them anyways, right? :rolleyes:

Doesn't make it right.

looks like its more profitable for them to go censor Australia's internet

they'll fuck over anyone for the right amount of coin

People have done much worse for far less.

I think Googles move to force China to filter content is a good move, it removes the burden of effort and guilt from its shoulders.

Didn't google jumped the ship? i guess is too big of a pie to leave behind so sad for google trying to portray this image of sad money hungry bastards in a desperate move to raise their public ratings.

Back