Google Elaborates On How Search Autocomplete Actually Works

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
The company is responding to accusations that it is favoring a certain presidential candidate in its search results. Are you convinced?

“Over the last week we’ve received questions about our autocomplete feature. I wanted to take the opportunity to clarify a few things,” wrote Tamar Yehoshua, a VP at Google. According to the search executive, “The autocomplete algorithm is designed to avoid completing a search for a person’s name with terms that are offensive or disparaging. We made this change a while ago following feedback that Autocomplete too often predicted offensive, hurtful, or inappropriate queries about people.” And apparently, regardless of who you are (famous, infamous, or not famous at all), the filter works the same way.

Good thing don't use auto complete. I'll never use the tainted web form on Google.com and only will use searches initiated from the browser's search box with auto complete disabled. Hate JavaScript, spyware stealing form contents before it's submitted if you ask me.

So, "Trump is r" returns Racist, Hitler, ect ... guess not all condidates get the same treatment. (And I don't even like trump)

Google/Alphabet got caught, period.

At least do your research first....

t127m0g.png

There's one that could be considered objectionable, the rest may be silly ("Trump is Russian" or "Trump is Ross Perot") but I don't see anything about racism here.

Leaked Clinton emails show that Google has some pretty tight ties with Clinton and the US State Department.

A YT search for "Google Syria Clinton" reveals no coverage from the major outlets, so here's the RT story.

I'm really starting to think that I should move to an iPhone next go around, (as if everything we already know about Google wasn't enough reason).

This is a surprise? When Google started, they had hard coded for a while when ever someone would type Bill Gates, it would auto complete to "is an idiot" "is the devil" etc.

This isn't the first time they've monkeyed with their search to push their own views.

Reactions: Madoc
like this
They have more time in the WH than any other company on EARTH. Don't think they are bias'd in one direction or another? If you do not think they are trying to help H win this go around, you have your head up your arse. One area last election they nailed it was returning results on Romney, that and the "impartial" mod at the debate. Yes, they knew for a fact the "riot" in Benghazi was not caused by a movie, H wrote to the Egyptian PM about it in an email, but the moderator still laid the smack down on Monsieur Romneie during the debate. Granted, his balls had shrunk, but it's tilted to the left SO [H]. Anyway. I have a bumper sticker that states "I do not believe the liberal media" on my truck to get people to approach me. So many thumbs up. And so many awesome conversations.

Whenever politically related topics come up and I read the responses, it always makes me thankful and appreciative that we have at least a two party system and that they are drastically different to each other.

Whenever politically related topics come up and I read the responses, it always makes me thankful and appreciative that we have at least a two party system and that they are drastically different to each other.

I see what you did there....

At least do your research first....

t127m0g.png

There's one that could be considered objectionable, the rest may be silly ("Trump is Russian" or "Trump is Ross Perot") but I don't see anything about racism here.
They really must be cleaning it up throughout the day, because I get multiple hitler hits with just "r" and "ra" was doing this until this evening:
EyWe6pE.png

So yeah, they are caught and covering their tracks. I wish you did the research before they got outed.

Who knows. Facebook also claimed that they weren't manipulating their news feed, but people who actually worked there claimed otherwise. If the people at the top of the ladder have an agenda, they'll make sure it's being followed, and companies like Google can influence a lot of people really quickly.

It's up to google how it do it's searches it's a free market don't like it use a different search engine, bunch of whiny right wing whimps.

Ummm the media hated Reagan and Bush with a passion.

Google got caught. They can make all the public statements they want, the issue is the programmers who write the algorithm are biased so the algorithm is biased. They should try to get more conservative leaning employees to avoid this instead off 99% liberals

No one should be surprised. Type in any political topic and the you get huffpo, media matters, msnbc, dailycos etc. Allllll left wing blog sites becausr they pay to be listed first.

Meanwhile Drudge has more traffic then all of them and Google never brings up results from Drudge.

Ummm the media hated Reagan and Bush with a passion.

Google got caught. They can make all the public statements they want, the issue is the programmers who write the algorithm are biased so the algorithm is biased. They should try to get more conservative leaning employees to avoid this instead off 99% liberals

No one should be surprised. Type in any political topic and the you get huffpo, media matters, msnbc, dailycos etc. Allllll left wing blog sites becausr they pay to be listed first.

Meanwhile Drudge has more traffic then all of them and Google never brings up results from Drudge.
Drudge more traffic?
drudgereport.com Site Overview
huffingtonpost.com Site Overview

The modern media loved W.Bush quite a bit he's a very likable guy in person but the media reflects the people watching it so as approval rating plummeted so did the positive media coverage.

As far as Reagan he was quite liked for similar reasons, charismatic but his strongest criticisms came from his own party because of backpedaling later in his presidency. Although the more general criticism was mostly a reflection of i believe the Democrats pushing the question that everything wrong with his presidency somehow was on his staff's fault rather than a reflection on himself per whitehouse press releases, begging the question how things can go wrong but somehow always just be a staffers fault not his.

Not just in Google but in YouTube also ...

Youtube is more frightening with the extent and speed at which they will expunge user media for their corporate masters. Just look at PC game reviews. You wont see anything pre-release because they strip out legitimate user videos using the DMCA. Now tell me they don't use that power for political ends as well...

Back