Google Earns More From iOS Than Android?

HardOCP News

[H] News
The Guardian is running an article today that claims Google earns more money from iOS than Android. How much more? Try four times as much. :eek:

The figures also suggest that Apple devices such as the iPhone, which use products such as its Maps as well as Google Search in its Safari browser, generated more than four times as much revenue for Google as its own handsets in the same period.

Surprising considering Android handsets are supposed to be outselling iOS devices. Guess they're not charging much per install.

I think it all goes back to 2007 when Apple released the iPhone and Google signed up a big contract to be the primary search, maps, etc. provider for the phone. This gave them a great chance to dominate the mobile market if the iPhone was a success, which it has shown to be, and in return they make a good portion from that.

Microsoft makes more money from Android than their own phone.
Google makes more money from iOS than their own phone.

Crazy world! :confused:

Microsoft makes more money from Android than their own phone.
Google makes more money from iOS than their own phone.

Crazy world! :confused:

What, are they supposed to charge themselves to use their own services? This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

I think when Goggle was developing Android, they were looking at the long term. I wonder how it will be in 10 years?

Dear Google,

If you are making so much from iOS, how about updating the damned maps app already.

Thanks,
iOS user.

I'm not surprised at all since iOS folks are used to paying for content, they're afraid to use the free apps that most Android users obtain for FREE.

iOS users can't use the free apps Android users get for free. Because they're Android apps.

I'm not surprised at all since iOS folks are used to paying for content, they're afraid to use the free apps that most Android users obtain for FREE.

What does that have to do with ad revenue made by Google, which is what the article is talking about?

The real problem is the article's math and understanding of the numbers is ridiculously stupid. It makes the completely false assumption that if mobile revenue isn't from Android, it must be from iOS. Since these numbers start from 2008, that is so hilariously untrue it's shocking this was even published.

Oh, and of course if you include iPod Touch and iPad, then there are more iOS devices than Android ones - it would make sense that it would generate more ad revenue for Google as they all still include Google's services and use Google search by default.

Dear Google,

If you are making so much from iOS, how about updating the damned maps app already.

Thanks,
iOS user.

Google doesn't make the iOS Maps app, Apple does. And of course there's no way Apple would ever approve an official Google Maps app.

Google doesn't make the iOS Maps app, Apple does. And of course there's no way Apple would ever approve an official Google Maps app.

Apple keeps itself distanced from the other products for a reason. It used to be that Apple held the final glimmer of hope that all computers would collapse into the Windows/IBM compatibles; now, I think they keep themselves distinct to create a solitary revenue stream.

Back