Google Discloses Its Diversity Record, And It’s Not Good

First hip-hop artist is potentially about to become a billionaire. But let's talk about racial quotas in hiring because equalityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

More diverse workplace is a sign of a much healthier company.

And what is the measure of diversity? Penis and Vagina ratios? How few white people we have? Black people? Disabled Mexican farm laborers promoted to senior IT? Seriously, what does that damn word mean anymore? For the people that use it most, it is simply a battering ram to silence people that disagree with them. It is just another word coopted by the grief hustlers like the terms "liberal" and "progressive" were coopted by the regressive fascists and communists and who are far from progressive and anything but liberal.

True diversity comes from thoughts, experiences and knowledge of the individuals in a group, not from their genitals or their skin color.

More diverse workplace is a sign of a much healthier company.

Diversity of thought? Sure. That's not the diversity in question, though. The diversity in question is based on melanin levels, genitals, and other factors we cannot change and had no choice in having. Which...should be called discrimination, but it isn't, because discrimination isn't discrimination when it benefits someone perceived as commonly discriminated against.

First hip-hop artist is potentially about to become a billionaire. But let's talk about racial quotas in hiring because equalityyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.

Well, the article didn't say the pressure for diversity was coming from the government (although it may have been implied) ... they did mention some shareholder campaigns on diversity though ... and there are various NGOs that might be able to apply pressure

I would agree that if the pressure is coming from the government then that is inappropriate ... if it is coming from their consumers or shareholders then that is their right to request changes by the company (and Google's right, as a public company, to ignore it at their own peril) ... personally I tend to favor outsourcing to build diversity for multinational corporations ... it keeps them more in touch with a worldwide consumer base and allows them to leverage the advantages of emerging markets ;)

Well, the article didn't say the pressure for diversity was coming from the government (although it may have been implied) ... they did mention some shareholder campaigns on diversity though ... and there are various NGOs that might be able to apply pressure

I would agree that if the pressure is coming from the government then that is inappropriate ... if it is coming from their consumers or shareholders then that is their right to request changes by the company (and Google's right, as a public company, to ignore it at their own peril) ... personally I tend to favor outsourcing to build diversity for multinational corporations ... it keeps them more in touch with a worldwide consumer base and allows them to leverage the advantages of emerging markets ;)

None of the pressure comes from government directly. It's actually brilliant. They've pawned all that petty shit off on SJWs who gladly go out and rage at everything they can because, as I said...equalityyyy. That word has been completely hollowed out and filled with bullshit. Millions of dumb kids who think they're a hero in a movie and that anyone who questions them is really just working with the villain, so they HAVE to be shouted down and defeated. Because they're EVIL to disagree. They're MONSTERS. Their rights are forfeit. Pshhh...free speech. That only protects you from government oppression, not the oppression of an angry mob. But everyone's got a right to free health care, though.

So let's just hire a bunch of female blacks and hispanics, regardless of whether or not they fit the company or even the job!

Because we must at least APPEAR diverse!

1392218188949.jpg

Everyone know that white males are the only people qualified to do any job besides digging a ditch. That is why striving for workplace diversity is a sham. Can't you see all of these companies are blind to color and gender and are just hiring the most qualified people out there - white men?

diversity numbers are just political bull shit factors designed to make a company look good to those who care. Who the fuck cares what they are, as long as they aren't racist.

*facepalms*

Ok, I get that you want to hire people of other sexes and race, but if the employers etc are 100% non-sexist/racist etc, are they hiring the people who are most qualified or not?

Can we see HardOCP's diversity chart please?

If you're going to judge Google, we should be allowed to judge you.

I am willing to bet there isn't much diversity on [H]. Too many turbo right wing / crazy military dudes around here.

Easy problem to solve. Hire more Indian women.

There are similar policies in place where I work... the corporation LOVES it when they can check off all these boxes for race/gender/disability.

Basically if you are a black woman who also happens to have "some" sort of disability, you just have to show up and collect a paycheck. Doesn't matter how hard you work, or how stupid you are, you can get away with anything.

We had a manager that ticked almost every box making double what I make, way younger than me (I'm 32 white male IT guy) and the dumber than a box of rocks.

The pendulum swings both ways.

If I'm running a business? I don't care what color or gender you are, if you can do the job, show up on time and do what I pay you to do... then you're hired! Did anyone ever stop to think there might not be THAT many black women who are coders and want to spend all day behind a screen? If that was really the case, it's the responsibility of the black community to get women more interested in coding if that's something they want to accomplish long term.

Everyone has the "diversity" dick up their ass these days... what is so wrong about a group of like minded people who work together to accomplish a task? So what if they are all white? all black? all purple? is the product up to snuff and at a fair price? who cares how and who made it if you are on the outside looking in.

lol you guys are getting upset that "working on recruiting more women and minorities in the future"

I am willing to bet there isn't much diversity on [H]. Too many turbo right wing / crazy military dudes around here.

Oh that's just awful. We should boycott their advertisers until they bring some Occupy Wall Street/"Give me free stuff because I'm breathing" types to "diversify" HardOCP.

Asian males have it the worst, especially in university applications. I'll see if I can find the graph, but they showed on average that they had to score 29% higher (damn near a third) than black males or females in the engineering schools to gain admittance, because asian males were "overrepresented". Comical to me, since females and black males are so much of a larger majority than the small number of asian males in the US population, but diversity trumps ability in the liberal world where equality is more important than equal opportunity.

Everyone know that white males are the only people qualified to do any job besides digging a ditch. That is why striving for workplace diversity is a sham. Can't you see all of these companies are blind to color and gender and are just hiring the most qualified people out there - white men?

So you think Google is hiring white males because they hate minorities? Gee, could it just be that some kids choose to be nerds, while others play basketball?

What's the proportion of white and Asian males who hold IT degrees vs others? I'll bet Google hires minorities who are even marginally qualified just to get their diversity numbers up.

Very few people willingly concede even a modicum of privilege.

There's a hilarious assumption in like half the posts in this thread, that somehow trying to achieve proportionate representation in hiring is at odds with hiring qualified workers.

lol you guys are getting upset that "working on recruiting more women and minorities in the future"

Not at all! I'm latino, but not hispanic (portuguese). I was, in fact, happy with Google hiring just because I was born in a shithole, even knowing that there are many people way more qualified than I am, but shit! No latinos of portuguese origin as a minority. Where should I go to start a parade called "please allow brazilians into Google because hey, we're a minority too, and stfu we don't speak spanish! huehuehue" ?

Sarcastic troll post is strong here.

As a 32 year old white male in IT (that holds a bachelors of science in Economics from Texas A&M) there are people hired at the company I work for who are younger, less educated, and with zero experience in anything. They make more than I do, they work less than I do.... and they are brought in why? because they are black, or if they company is really lucky.... a black woman. Is this fair? At what level and what point in the future will I be able to play the race/gender card and get a job I'm not really qualified for?

It's really funny watching someone making double what I make struggle with excel or who's unable to figure out budgets or any basic form of planning. All while having to smile and be nice to them knowing they are here only because of the color of their skin. Me being white though means if I voice any of these opinions I'm labeled as a racist and bigot.

I'll bet Google hires minorities who are even marginally qualified just to get their diversity numbers up.
They HAVE to, as otherwise they open themselves up to massive lawsuits, as the lawyer can just say "HA! See, history of discrimination, the numbers speak for themselves". Which is really unfair as if you see a black out-lesbian woman in your company, you can't just assume she's qualified since she may have been nothing more than a diversity golden egg, hit three birds with one stone hire.

Course, not to many "golden egg" profile types will complain though, since they know they are that much more valuable to the company and can make for rapid advancement to higher profile positions if they aren't total screwups (or if they are screw ups at least use the "card" to get out of jail free one or two times).

Anytime I hear the word diversity or multiculturalism when applied to a population I think bigotry. Multiculturalism implies separate but equal subcultures. Separate but equal was the legal justification for segregation under Jim Crow.

Dr. King by contrast was an integrationist. He advocated a dominant culture which was open to everybody. Dr. Samuel Huntington in "clash of civilizations" stated that multiracial monocultures are stable while multiculturalism are unstable. Maintaining (as opposed to absorbing) diversity breeds segregation.

The ideal situation is where a diverse population assimilates/integrates into a dominate cultural which absorbs the positive aspects of the formally diverse population.

Sarcastic troll post is strong here.

As a 32 year old white male in IT (that holds a bachelors of science in Economics from Texas A&M) there are people hired at the company I work for who are younger, less educated, and with zero experience in anything. They make more than I do, they work less than I do.... and they are brought in why? because they are black, or if they company is really lucky.... a black woman. Is this fair? At what level and what point in the future will I be able to play the race/gender card and get a job I'm not really qualified for?

It's really funny watching someone making double what I make struggle with excel or who's unable to figure out budgets or any basic form of planning. All while having to smile and be nice to them knowing they are here only because of the color of their skin. Me being white though means if I voice any of these opinions I'm labeled as a racist and bigot.

So there are two possible implications from your post. The first is that there are no minorities or women qualified for these positions, which is horse shit. The second is that your company sucks at hiring. Which is it?

I'm sorry you work at a shitty company (and in IT). Top-tier technology companies generally don't hire shitty workers regardless of race/gender/etc.

Ya all this politically correct crap is getting ridiculous. Hire the best person who applied for the job skin color or gender should never factor into it.

I'm in no way picking on your post...but just using it as a jumping off point.

I just happen to work at a place where my whole company up and moved the campus a few months ago, and my entire team up and left because of the extra commute. (mine was cut in half baby!) Needless to say my director (white guy) and I have been doing tons of interviews lately. We may have done 40 interviews? 10 "qualified" candidates? All of his were white male minus an Indian dude. 3 of those guys were clearly not qualified. Not even close.

I obviously ask the question of "HTF do you come to the conclusion this guy would be qualified for an engineering level position?" The answer was "He would fit in great as he builds the team." In no way shape or form is my boss racist. BUT he is obviously comfortable with those he has more in common with.

I had 9 people who I thought would be great. But where he had this Indian dude, and the 3 dudes who were obviously not qualified, I had 3 black guys who I thought were qualified.

My point being when the blatant obvious choice has been made with those that are obviously qualified...when judgement calls need to be made, people just seem to lean towards those they feel more comfortable with.

If affirmative action fucks the obvious candidate...It sucks. BUT from my little bit of being on the inside process of looking for candidates I can see now why it may still be needed.

The first is that there are no minorities or women qualified for these positions, which is horse shit.
More nonsense, as this has nothing to do with "zero". It has to do with statistics, that by percentage there may be 7% black women in the country, but only .05% that your company has filled programmer jobs with. Does that mean that theres NO black woman in the country that can program? Of course not! But it means that if there are a hundred asian guy programmers for every black woman of a certain talent grade, and you can get the asian guy for less (or more skilled for the same offer), then the asian guy should get the job. Liberals though don't want to hear that, they want diversity numbers with census like stats filled, and its completely irrelevant if the best person for the job gets it or not.

As long as Google hires it's employees based on their qualifications, experience, etc I don't feel there is anything wrong with not ending up with a perfectly diverse and balanced workforce in terms of race and gender.

On the other hand, pressure from people who will insist on making an issue out of this will likely create situations where they will end up NOT choosing the most qualified person for the job, simply because they need to meet certain racial/gender quotas. THAT is, in my opinion, FAR more fucked up than any of this make believe racist bullshit.

Who the hell cares as long as the person can do the job well. (Notice I am not a politically correct advocate?)

Yep, I'm tired of all of this "benevolent racism" jargon. People should be hired on the basis of merit, not skin color. You cannot fight racism with racism.

What's wrong? Whites make up 63% of the population, that fits and Asians are good with math, so that fits. Sure blacks and Hispanics are under representative a little but that's not the fault of Google blacks and hispanics don't tend to gravitate towards fields Google hires for. It's curious why isn't everyone praising Google for the amount of Asians they hire, they are a lower minority then black or Hispanic.

Who the hell cares as long as the person can do the job well. (Notice I am not a politically correct advocate?)

Neither am I. Less worrying about gender and ethnic quota filling and more importance on merit and skill. That would be a shocker.

There's a hilarious assumption in like half the posts in this thread, that somehow trying to achieve proportionate representation in hiring is at odds with hiring qualified workers.

Did you think about what you wrote? Hiring qualified workers IS at odds with having a workforce that reflects overall demographics unless everyone has exactly the same aptitude, interests, experience and education.

Why aren't you bleating about the demographic makeup of pro sports, or teachers? Both of those lack diversity, as you define it.

It's curious why isn't everyone praising Google for the amount of Asians they hire, they are a lower minority then black or Hispanic.

Because Asian males are being lumped in with white males - see the San Francisco anti-tech employee protests for examples - in order to make the "racism" myth stick. Sort of the way we were introduced to "White Latino" when it turned out Zimmerman was not the white guy they thought his name implied.

Hiring qualified workers IS at odds with having a workforce that reflects overall demographics unless everyone has exactly the same aptitude, interests, experience and education.
Not true; unless you are hiring most of the existing eligible workforce (in which case you are just numerically constrained) you can put together almost any representation you want.

Why aren't you bleating about the demographic makeup of pro sports, or teachers?
Because this thread isn't about that.

Both of those lack diversity, as you define it.
Where in this thread have I defined "diversity"? (I haven't). Please don't put words in my mouth.

WHITE PRIVILEGE !!!!!!!!! RAWR RAWR RAWR!!!!

if you read mine, and others posts... you will see we really don't want privilege.... I just want actual equality. Meaning, I don't give a shit about your color or your gender, I care about one thing only: "can you do the job I'm paying you to do".

The words themselves don't even mean what they should mean -- I still laugh at some news stations that use the word "minority" when the people they are referring to are actually the MAJORITY in certain cities. People would shit themselves if I started referring to my (white) self as a minority in certain locations in this country.

Would my having a dick and complaining loud enough get me a nice cushy job (im not qualified for) working for Oprah? I mean, I'm a white male, you'd better hire so you can balance your numbers?

See my previous post -- but I bet after a while you'd get more than pissed if there was someone younger, less educated, less experienced, who just happens to be a black woman... making double what you make "just because" she has the right color skin. (I've worked with this particular person and she's dumb as a post, but can get away with anything she wants because: black woman ticking all the "diversity" boxes)

Because Asian males are being lumped in with white males - see the San Francisco anti-tech employee protests for examples - in order to make the "racism" myth stick. Sort of the way we were introduced to "White Latino" when it turned out Zimmerman was not the white guy they thought his name implied.
Yeah, I cracked up when I saw the original photo before they went into photoshop and tried to make his skin as light as possible. Media left bias? Nahhh...

RACISM IS OVER HURRAY!!!!!!

I realize that you've already shifted into full soapbox tardmode, but this is the comments thread from a post on the front page. My comments were made in the context of that news post (about Google's workforce). I didn't think I needed to spell that out, but I'll be sure to set my expectations lower next time just for you.

No, I do NOT believe that the current breakdown of Google's Workforce has anything to do with Racism.

Back