google desktop

ne0-reloaded

[H]ard|Gawd
anyone else tried the google desktop? i found it 2day and it seems really cool. the premice is that ur able to search the files on ur pc, including ie temp files, just as fast as u can search something through the google search engine. its pretty sad that googles search function is 10 times faster than xp's tho.

I also installed Google Desktop a day or two ago. Its awsome and I think its an understatement when you say that it is 10 times faster than xp. It is searching over 25,000 files on my computer. Last week I did a search on xp of my hd for a document containing a word. It probably took close to 10 minutes. Google search takes about 0.5-4.0 seconds a search. Its awsome!

Google Desktop is Teh Winnar in my book.

However, guys, it uses more resources than the XP function to do it. Also, it requires sitting for a few hours idle to index properly, while XP's does it on the fly.

Still, the new desktop search kicks ass. There are others out there (I used Copernic Agent previously), but this one looks the niftiest.

I love it. I lost an e-mail with one of my websites FTP information and Cpanel logins, and so I downloaded Google Desktop and did a search real quick for words that would be in it, and it found it in seconds.

Personally, that's not a big problem for me. I'm the only one that uses this computer.

I don't know.
google is great and I use gmail, but given the way google desktop operates, i might wait a bit on this

for me, it is a security issue, but i'll probably end up using it at some point anyway

haha thats funny, google desktop is 2 damn good. im the only one usin my pc so i dont care. i wonder if it could bypass windows ntfs feature. im waitin for the govt or microsoft or somethin to buy out google. maybe they can use it find bin laden

Is this built anything like Pixia? It was built with the interface being nothing more that a lot of image files. Also the indexing wasn't as fast as I thought it would be and I found some things that made it seem as thought it would stop working for 15 days.

ComputerBox34 said:
I saw this on the front of Hard OCP the other day:

http://blogs.pcworld.com/staffblog/archives/000264.html

I think I'll wait before I get it. ;)

of course it's going to be able to view those files. it's not like the IE cache is protected to any great extent unless the user makes it that way on purpose. Give me a dos boot disk, ntfs4dos, and a text editor / viewer and I can view those files too, unless you've set XP to encrypt the directory. Granted, the html will be embedded as well, but who cares, that's easily ignored. This is a case of paranoia stepping onto common sense. You come up with some form of security this isn't overly intrusive and someone else can come up with a way to get around it. This is a very useful tool thats simply working precisely how it's been coded to work, find all the files of type X, index the contents of the files, allow someone to search the index and return pointers to the file(s).

Back