Google Demos A.I. Duplex Features From Google Assistant App

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Google recently gave members of the press a demonstration of the capabilities of the A.I. embedded in the Google Assistant app. The A.I. feature called Duplex is capable of calling restaurants and hair salons to make reservations. It speaks in a more human manner by adding um and ah sounds in the speech patterns used. Google engineers found that people were less likely to hang up on the A.I. if it spoke in this manner. It is still a work in progress as it tries to not deviate from the script, and thus questions about child booster seats trip it up for example. I can't wait to try this feature myself as it sounds very cool.

While the demo was mostly positive, there are still several hurdles to overcome before your local taqueria gets inundated with AI reservation requests. These include practical concerns, like privacy laws and phone answerers who prefer human interaction (businesses that simply don’t want to accept calls from Google’s AI will be able to opt out). And Google can’t just roll out Duplex anywhere it wants. The company will need a permit before it can operate in Texas, for example.

"It speaks in a more human manner by adding um and ah sounds in the speech patterns used. "

Just NO. Please fucking STOP building this illusion that a computer is a person. It should remain stilted and un-human. I do not want an 'assistant', i want a thrall.

Every time i watch 2001/2010, i get pissed because they assign roles and powers to HAL without any way to control or command him through the typical means we control and command humans in this sort of environment.. You would not allow a being like HAL to be 'captain' of the ship. At best, HAL should have been the ship's 'engineer'.

it was a neat demo they did the other month

what i am waiting for is the google planner AI to call a business that has a phone system that uses AI to answer the calls.. so you have AI chatting with AI.. both pretending to care and be human...

wait.. that sounds like some conversations i already hear in the office..

LOL

"It speaks in a more human manner by adding um and ah sounds in the speech patterns used. "

Just NO. Please fucking STOP building this illusion that a computer is a person. It should remain stilted and un-human. I do not want an 'assistant', i want a thrall.

Every time i watch 2001/2010, i get pissed because they assign roles and powers to HAL without any way to control or command him through the typical means we control and command humans in this sort of environment.. You would not allow a being like HAL to be 'captain' of the ship. At best, HAL should have been the ship's 'engineer'.

You wouldnt. I wouldnt. But I know a great deal of people that would.

One thing I've been wondering as someone who has to make appointments, is how the Google AI will handle phone trees. I specifically use a phone tree because it tends to stop telemarketer robo calls. Since Google's AI assistant is a robot/computer program, will it be able to use a phone tree, or will it be as stymied by phone trees as a typical robo caller?

One thing I've been wondering as someone who has to make appointments, is how the Google AI will handle phone trees. I specifically use a phone tree because it tends to stop telemarketer robo calls. Since Google's AI assistant is a robot/computer program, will it be able to use a phone tree, or will it be as stymied by phone trees as a typical robo caller?
You can opt in or out of receiving calls from the A.I. assistant.

Can't wait until someone finds a way to feed it bullshit data and places are getting calls from Hitler and Phil McCrackin

Back